MLB '08: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 4th

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MLB '08: The Show (PS3, PS2, PSP) - March 4th

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like 2K has followed its example of the NHL game and made the controls so complicated that most people both casual and hardcore gamers will give up on it, why do they do this?

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/m...opslot;title;4
Old 02-19-08, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by educator_bhoy
looks like 2K has followed its example of the NHL game and made the controls so complicated that most people both casual and hardcore gamers will give up on it, why do they do this?

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/m...opslot;title;4
The article says you can still play with the old controls as an option, so what's the big deal?
Old 02-19-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd182
Just hearing the same commentary from 2k7 in the online videos is enough to make me pass on 2k8. I'm trying MLB 08 this year.
Good choice...the show is the best baseball game around. I even popped in MVP 05 the other day and I believe the Show has passed that now. I cannot wait until the 4th...ok, I can wait.
Old 02-19-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Played the demo yesterday and was blown away. I can't wait to play as my stocked Tigers! The only gripe I have it the ability to quickly discern a ball or a strike. I know you can guess the pitch type and location, but if you are wrong, you don't know if the ball is in our out of the strike zone.

I wish they'd do what Front Page Sport Baseball did back in they day: As the pitcher was releasing the ball, the ball flashed either green or red for striker or ball respectively.... it was a millisecond flash, but very helpful.
Old 02-19-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob V
I wish they'd do what Front Page Sport Baseball did back in they day: As the pitcher was releasing the ball, the ball flashed either green or red for striker or ball respectively.... it was a millisecond flash, but very helpful.
Sure, helpful if you want to play like a girl.

Seriously though, after playing a bunch of games you'll see the difference between a ball and a strike easily.
Old 02-20-08, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So...this is the first year I'll have the option to pick up a Sony baseball title. As such, a question...

Why 'The Show' over '2K8'? I've played 2K7, and except for the 'playoff glitch', the rest was pretty good. Is it features? Playability? What are the main differences?

= J
Old 02-20-08, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
Played the demo yesterday and was blown away. I can't wait to play as my stocked Tigers! The only gripe I have it the ability to quickly discern a ball or a strike. I know you can guess the pitch type and location, but if you are wrong, you don't know if the ball is in our out of the strike zone.
Not to turn this into a sports thread, but as a diehard Tribe fan i'm excited to see what happens this year. The Motor City Kitties definitely are stacked this year, but i still think its gonna be one hell of a race again.

-NiCK
Old 02-20-08, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
So...this is the first year I'll have the option to pick up a Sony baseball title. As such, a question...

Why 'The Show' over '2K8'? I've played 2K7, and except for the 'playoff glitch', the rest was pretty good. Is it features? Playability? What are the main differences?

= J
i didnt play enough of 2k7 to really be able to tell you what exactly makes it better, i just was such a huge fan of the EA Sports MVP series and The Show is by far the closest thing out there to the overall gameplay of the MVP games.

As a general difference, i definitely felt that The Show was smoother than 2k7. 2k7 had some great graphics, but now that The Show 08 has had a great graphical facelift i truly think its a no brainer.

Also, the Road to the Show mode is just plain awesome. And in 08 they made it way more in depth. It actually requires you to learn signs! Simply cannot wait.

-NiCK
Old 02-20-08, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, making me play as the Red Sox. Way ta sell the game.
Old 02-20-08, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
So, just play the Rockies. That's what I did.
Old 02-20-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

= J
The Show was around in 07. In my opinion, it was the BEST baseball game since MVP 05. The gameplay was solid, very few glitches and not a homerun fest like 2K was.

If you enjoyed MVP 05....The SHOW 08 should be the game for you. I always loved the 2K series, but The Show was superior over 2K (last year).
Old 02-20-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Last year when the day The Show came out I picked it up for the PS3 when I got home I found that my house had been broken in to and someone took my PS3. Hopefully when this comes out on 03/04 and I pick it up I won't find out my new PS3 that I just got is missing also.
Old 02-20-08, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
Last year when the day The Show came out I picked it up for the PS3 when I got home I found that my house had been broken in to and someone took my PS3. Hopefully when this comes out on 03/04 and I pick it up I won't find out my new PS3 that I just got is missing also.
Damn.
Old 02-20-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Setzer
So, just play the Rockies. That's what I did.
Unless I did something wrong (which I probably did), it didn't let me. Still, I played long enough to see the Sox get shelled 18-0 in the first inning (another number i'm sure Boston/NE fans are familiar with). In addition to Tulowitzki's monster grandslam over the monster and Torrealba's inside-the-park homerun, Beckett was plunking batters left and right.

I finally enforced the mercy rule and switched back to playing Lego Star Wars.
Old 02-20-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Not to turn this into a sports thread, but as a diehard Tribe fan i'm excited to see what happens this year. The Motor City Kitties definitely are stacked this year, but i still think its gonna be one hell of a race again.
I agree. Im pumped about our lineup but I think you guys have better pitching - as long as CC doesn't get traded ( he does )
Old 02-20-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rogue588
18-0 in the first inning (another number i'm sure Boston/NE fans are familiar with).
Old 02-20-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Impressed with the demos for both versions. Really glad that all the framerate issues on the PSP version are fixed. It ran great and has more animations than the 06 version I have been playing.
Old 02-20-08, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Impressed with the demos for both versions. Really glad that all the framerate issues on the PSP version are fixed. It ran great and has more animations than the 06 version I have been playing.
I noticed that the psp demo had no framerate issues as well, but you have to realize something: all the data from the demo is being streamed off of your memory stick, not a UMD.. The slower access times of the umd are a large part of why there were hiccups in last year's version. They may or may not still be there this year.

The new "slim" psp's do have twice the amount of RAM, which will allow for faster loading off UMD's, but I am guessing you have one of the older psp units.
Old 02-21-08, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
The Show was around in 07. In my opinion, it was the BEST baseball game since MVP 05. The gameplay was solid, very few glitches and not a homerun fest like 2K was.

If you enjoyed MVP 05....The SHOW 08 should be the game for you. I always loved the 2K series, but The Show was superior over 2K (last year).
I knew it was around, but this is the first year I'll have a PS3 to pick a baseball game up on. I'd only had a 360.

You guys pretty much have me convinced. The playoff glitch in last years 2K just has me so soured on that series. The Show it is.

= J
Old 02-24-08, 04:56 PM

I knew it was around, but this is the first year I'll have a PS3 to pick a baseball game up on. I'd only had a 360.

You guys pretty much have me convinced. The playoff glitch in last years 2K just has me so soured on that series. The Show it is.

= J
what exactly was this playoff glitch you speak of for the 2k series?

-NiCK
Old 02-24-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush

-NiCK
I seem to recall that the game sometimes wouldn't let you proceed after playing the last regular season game in franchise mode. I never ran across it, as I didn't finish a franchise mode season until after the update that fixed this came out, but it pissed off quite a few people at the time.
Old 02-25-08, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by dvd182
I seem to recall that the game sometimes wouldn't let you proceed after playing the last regular season game in franchise mode. I never ran across it, as I didn't finish a franchise mode season until after the update that fixed this came out, but it pissed off quite a few people at the time.
that would piss me off something awful.

-NiCK
Old 02-25-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush

-NiCK
Yeah, it was what he said. Unless there was a random one game playoff between two teams, the game would lock up after the last regular season game. 2K knew about it and didn't do anything to patch or remedy the problem. Since franchise was my favorite mode to play, I never played the game again.

I'm getting The Show this year. As a new player, I do have one question:

What is 'Road To The Show'?

= J
Old 02-25-08, 01:06 PM

= J
Road To the Show allows you to experience a simulation of being an up an coming player in the minors to a Major Leaguer. You create a ballplayer and then are thrown into Spring Training. You only play every at-bat and everytime the ball is hit to you in the field (unless your a pitcher, in this case you pitch every pitch). Everything else is simulated inbetween. All the on-field is from the perspective of the player.

Upon getting a hit, you then have to run the bases, base-by-base. In 08, you are going to have to actually learn signs as well.

-NiCK
Old 02-25-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a new player, I do have one question:

= J
Its a career mode. You create a player with limited skills and play your way to the top. In The Show 06 you played on whatever team your player was on and you played full games but were unable to manage. In 07 they changed it up so that you can either do it the way it was done in 06 or a new version where you play just when your player is playing. So if you're an outfielder, you would only play defense when the ball would be hit to you. You would only do his at-bats as well. If you're a pitcher you just pitch when he is pitching until you're taken out. This way is much more realistic but I can see why it would turn some people off as you're not playing the full game.

It is a great mode but could have been better. First, it was pretty easy to become an out of this world player. You could easily become an elite power and average hitter. You could also easily become a shut down fielder and a big speed threat. Same goes if you're a pitcher. However, you choose where your attribute points go. So if you WANT to be a slow yet powerful hitter you can choose to be. But 5 years into your career you'll have a ton of unused attribute points and you'll already be the best power hitter in the game. IMO, they should change this up by having you choose what kind of player you want to be when you start. If I choose to be a "lead off hitter" it should be easy for me to drive up my speed but it should cost more points for me to bring my power higher.

Either way, its a fun mode and I'm looking forward to starting a career when I get my hands on the new game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.