Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Zero Punctuation Links

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Fortunately there are no save game penalties on the Wii. If you only plan on playing MP and want a level playing field the night you rent it, download a game save that unlocks everything.
I am pretty sure that I have read multiple times before that you couldn't take one save file from system to another for SSBB in particular thus negating your chance of doing this.
Old 04-23-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Even though I really enjoy SSB, I agree with everything he said. And the part about being "that guy" is spot on. I'm often "that guy" because my friends with Wiis bought them for some unknown reason but then never, ever buy games for it because they say everything sucks. Yes, when you buy Marvel: Ultimate Alliance as your only purchase everything does suck. Even my parents took the initiative to buy Endless Ocean.
Old 04-23-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He is easily the best reviewer I have ever seen (or is it heard?)

He likes quality, hates crap...quite simple. Nintendo releases the same 'crap' every year, like it or not. I'm not saying others *cough* Halo *cough* don't, but Nintendo is probably the worst at it, and has so many fan boys its ridiculous.
Old 04-23-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I wouldn't say it's crap but it's definitely MOTS. At least Galaxy broke that mold.
Old 04-23-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by discostu1337
He is easily the best reviewer I have ever seen (or is it heard?)

He likes quality, hates crap...quite simple. Nintendo releases the same 'crap' every year, like it or not. I'm not saying others *cough* Halo *cough* don't, but Nintendo is probably the worst at it, and has so many fan boys its ridiculous.
And to be fair about him, he tore Halo 3 up as well. Basically truthfully calling it on many of its faults.
Old 04-24-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by discostu1337
And that it is all subjective, so there is no reason to get upset by one of his reviews (which I can see the SSB doing). He would probably say Ult Alliance was crap (like jdpatri did), but why should someone not liking something you do hurt your enjoyment of a game? Sometimes, gamers seem to have the thinnest skin in the universe.

I do think he is very honest in his reviews, but more than that entertaining.
Old 04-24-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
And that it is all subjective, so there is no reason to get upset by one of his reviews (which I can see the SSB doing). He would probably say Ult Alliance was crap (like jdpatri did), but why should someone not liking something you do hurt your enjoyment of a game? Sometimes, gamers seem to have the thinnest skin in the universe.

I do think he is very honest in his reviews, but more than that entertaining.
Exactly. And even if you happen to love the game he's skewering, you should be objective enough to see that his rants are almost always warranted. Plus, hell, even when he really likes a game he gives it four minutes of ribbing before admitting his adoration... like he did with No More Heroes. He gave that game hell for its repetition and unnecessary add-ons for length but he turned around and said the novelty makes everything okay -- which is spot on. I have the same complaints but I love it nonetheless.
Old 04-24-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The closest to a positive review i have ever seen him give was his review of Call of Duty 4. Even that had criticisms and was pretty funny.
Old 04-24-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You haven't seen his review of Portal. That one is all hugs and kisses.
Old 04-24-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shumway
You haven't seen his review of Portal. That one is all hugs and kisses.
I had actually forgotten about that one. That was even more positive than the CoD4 one.
Old 04-24-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Funny, he bashes a Nintendo 'favorite' and this thread gets more posts in 24 hours than it has in 5 weeks. He has bashed plenty of games I like:

Halo 3
Assassin's Creed
COD4
Bioshock
Heavenly Sword
Tomb Raider
Turok

...and I don't get my panties in a bunch. I actually like it when he reviews a game that I know/like because I'm more familiar with what he is saying. Hell, I wish he reviewed Crackdown, Oblivion, and Dead Rising too.
Old 04-24-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Funny, he bashes a Nintendo 'favorite' and this thread gets more posts in 24 hours than it has in 5 weeks. He has bashed plenty of games I like:

Halo 3
Assassin's Creed
COD4
Bioshock
Heavenly Sword
Tomb Raider
Turok

...and I don't get my panties in a bunch. I actually like it when he reviews a game that I know/like because I'm more familiar with what he is saying. Hell, I wish he reviewed Crackdown, Oblivion, and Dead Rising too.
Who is getting their panties in a bunch? Most of the posts here agreed with his comments.
Old 04-24-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He's just pissed that it took a Nintendo game to get discussion going.

As I recall, the most hot topic since then was the talk about "party games needing single player dedication to be able to fully enjoy said party game" which transcends any single game, but something Nintendo is notorious for.

I don't think that's a common complaint in Halo 3, Assassin's Creed, COD4, Bioshock, Heavenly Sword, Tomb Raider, or Turok.

But I could be wrong.
Old 04-26-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, so I just stumbled upon this guy the other day and in the last 48 hours, I've watched close to all of his reviews. I find his criticisms of games not being inventive a bit hypocritical when contrasted with his hatred for Wii-centric controls.

That said, he absolutely nailed the SSBB review (the first one I watched, and oddly enough one of the few Wii games he's reviewed without any motion controls). I absolutely love the game, but I can't disagree with any of his criticisms about the game...or Nintendo's constant rehashing of old franchises for that matter.

His wit and delivery kept me watching for a while, and his absolutely glowing review of Portal has made me want to buy a 360/PS3 just to play it (which would ultimately be cheaper than buying a new computer). I can't wait for him to rip into Mario Kart and its stupid fucking blue shells (even though I plan on picking it up first thing tomorrow morning).
Old 04-27-08, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was pretty unhappy with his Silent Hill 0 review actually. Haven't really watched much since.
Old 05-02-08, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

God of War: Chains of Olympus this week....

<embed src="http://update.videoegg.com/flash/proxy.swf?jsver=1.4" FlashVars="gc=c2hvd0FkPXRydWUmYWRWYXJzPWFyZWE9Z2FtZXMmc2l0ZT1lc2NhcGlzdG1hZ2F6aW5lJmZpbGU9aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRnNlb GZzZXJ2ZTMwMCUyRWRvd25sb2FkJTJFdmlkZW9lZ2clMkVjb20lMkZnaWQzODklMkZjaWQxMzg5JTJGQVQlMkZIVyUyRjEyMDk1N jUwMzR0ekt5d2NLWWp2SFRaSjZ1eTlrMCZzd2ZwYXRoPWh0dHAlM0ElMkYlMkZ1cGRhdGUlMkV2aWRlb2VnZyUyRWNvbSUyRmZsY XNoJTJGcHJveHklMkVzd2YlM0Zqc3ZlciUzRDElMkU0JmF1dG9QbGF5PWZhbHNlJnNob3dBZFByaW1hcnk9dHJ1ZSZ3bW9kZT13a W5kb3cmYWxsb3dGbGFzaDlGdWxsc2NyZWVuPXRydWU=" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" scale="noscale" wmode="window" width="400" height="332" name="VE_Player" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ins-of-Olympus

Last edited by shumway; 05-02-08 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-02-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Jesus Nonexistant Christ."

Old 05-07-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yahtzee vs. The Mailbag of Incessant Cry-babies: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ilbag-Showdown
Old 05-07-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
This one was actually funny... "As a person white enough to own all three consoles..."
Old 05-07-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Wow...just freakin' wow. That's some good shit right there.
Old 05-07-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd be a prostitute or possibly a Gamespot employee...
Old 05-08-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by shumway
I'd be a prostitute or possibly a Gamespot employee...

"I'm not a fanboy..."

"Yes you are."

"..."
Old 05-09-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

"I'm not a fanboy..."

"Yes you are."

"..."
Heh, that had me too. This was probably one of the funnier episodes he's done, and that's saying something. I hope he does more mailbag stuff in the future.
Old 05-09-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe I'm odd, but his style of humor has already worn thin. I use to enjoy it, but now, it just seems like he is trying way too hard.
Old 05-09-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Maybe I'm odd, but his style of humor has already worn thin. I use to enjoy it, but now, it just seems like he is trying way too hard.
Agreed. He's getting as formulaic as some of the games he reviews.

(I'm not just saying this because of any particular review. I tend to agree with most of his reviews, including the SSBB one; I'm just saying that for me, his style is getting a bit old.)

Still better than the Angry Nerd or the Angry Nerd Ripoff though. I have never found either of them entertaining.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.