Reload this Page >

Rock Band: Official Thread, 3

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread, 3

Old 01-07-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Re: the OXM content--exclusive to OXM, or the same tracks that you can buy on Marketplace? If the latter, might be worth picking up the mag at a newsstand (my free sub ran out).
The OXM songs next week (1/15) will be exclusive to the magazine. So there will be a double shot of new songs next week. The songs in the mag won't be available on the marketplace right away, but I can see them putting them on there some time down the road.
Old 01-07-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
Any recommendations for songs that I might be able to fight my way through singing on hard? I just barely managed to get by Blitzkrieg Bop, but In Bloom (on the lowest singing tier, go figure) kicked my ass. How are the Black Sabbath songs singing on hard? They seemed pretty easy on medium...not sure if I can beat them on hard bass or guitar though.
If you want to get better at vocals, play on Expert. There's really no reason to play on any other difficulty. With guitar or drums, the charts are different and less complex, but with vocals, you've got to sing the song the whole time on any difficulty and it's just the pitch window that is wider on the lower difficulties.

Getting used to singing on Easy or Medium is going to screw you up, because that leeway is something you'll become accustomed to. If you can do a couple of songs on Expert (in Vocal tour), then you should have no problem doing Hard/Hard in BWT, as you can sing and not even have to look at the vocals and concentrate fully on guitar. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-08-08, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Definitely in for Interstate Love Song...that's a great song. Still debating on Number of the Beast...can't stand the Hives, so I won't be getting that.

So far, I've gotten 1-2 songs each week, so I'm definitely enjoying this so far.
Old 01-08-08, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
Here's my explanation:

In theory, you generally do not need the multi tracks to do guitar charts. The guitar is usually mixed up high on top of everything else, and you could just make the chart off the recorded versions of the song. But for Rock Band, to record all the different pieces to the song...you need the multis because you have to record the drum parts and the bass parts and the vox as well. And they just might not be laying around Steve Harris' basement anymore.

That's my theory for the covers anyways.
Good theory, but they do need the multitracks for Guitar Hero also.
The guitar part has to actually drop out completely when you miss notes.
Same for the bass.

They definitely still have the mutlis for NoTB. You can even see Martin Birch remixing in realtime on the Classic Albums show.
Old 01-08-08, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by porieux
Good theory, but they do need the multitracks for Guitar Hero also.
The guitar part has to actually drop out completely when you miss notes.
Same for the bass.

They definitely still have the mutlis for NoTB. You can even see Martin Birch remixing in realtime on the Classic Albums show.
One thing they don't need for Guitar Hero is multi-tracks for each drum. That is the reason we are getting covers for a lot of songs, they are only able to get a single track that has all the drums already mixed together as one.
Old 01-08-08, 05:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
I've never understood the intense dislike of covers.

I mean, you are "covering" something of the song every time you play it, and if you have a singer it's even less of an issue.
If I'm playing the guitar part in the solo tour, I like to hear the real guitar part coming out of the speakers, along with the real song behind it. Especially for artists I really like, such as Iron Maiden. It doesn't help that Bruce Dickinson has an extremely distinctive voice that none of the GH/RB covers have been able to match. It takes me out of it, and that's no fun.

For example, people were bagging on the cover of "Hard to Handle". Well I downloaded it anyway, and we had some friends over Saturday night and that song was by far the highlight of the evening. I don't even notice the fact it's a cover.

I guess it just doesn't bother me.
Some of the covers I have no problem with. Mississippi Queen is a great example. The cover sounds just fine. But for stuff like Bowie, or Prince, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc, covers just don't cut it for me.
Old 01-08-08, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Man, Molly Hatchet on Hard is kicking my ass. That fucking solo is insane. GGAHT was but I finally finished that one last night.

*edit - On guitar.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 01-08-08 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-08-08, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone received a free game from EA if they were verbally told that they would receive one and didnt recieve an email. There customer service is abyssmal on the lower levels and I now have a rep telling me that I'll only be getting one if I got an email despite the questions area of "my support" saying "Customer gets skate".
Old 01-08-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kaze0
Has anyone received a free game from EA if they were verbally told that they would receive one and didnt recieve an email. There customer service is abyssmal on the lower levels and I now have a rep telling me that I'll only be getting one if I got an email despite the questions area of "my support" saying "Customer gets skate".
I haven't received my game that they offered via email yet either. I don't know if anyone has, but I'm not in a super rush to play it. After all, I still have Rock Band.
Old 01-08-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
How am I playing drums wrong? I played three songs on medium last night and my shin and forearm were killing me. I had to stop playing.
Old 01-08-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
How am I playing drums wrong? I played three songs on medium last night and my shin and forearm were killing me. I had to stop playing.
How are you holding the sticks? Traditional or match grip? As for your shin, you might adjust your throne height.

Relax your hands.. that's all I can say. You shouldn't have a death grip on them.

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-08-08 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-08-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
How are you holding the sticks? Traditional or match grip? As for your shin, you might adjust your throne height.

Relax your hands.. that's all I can say. You shouldn't have a death grip on them.
I might try and raise the throne a bit. I am probably holding the sticks too hard, but the game on Medium has not slowed down for me yet.
Old 01-08-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
My buddy holds the drum sticks like he's trying to stab something, it drives me nuts.
Old 01-08-08, 09:46 AM

use your wrists, not your forearms
Old 01-08-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Man, Molly Hatchet on Hard is kicking my ass. That fucking solo is insane. GGAHT was but I finally finished that one last night.

*edit - On guitar.
That song is the only song I failed on the Hard tour on guitar. Failed it four times, gave up for the night.

The next night I asked my wife if she wanted to see me fail it again. I saved up Overdrive and managed to muddle through and cleared it. But it was a bitch.
Old 01-08-08, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

*edit - On guitar.
Molly Hatchet was my hardest song on hard, the solo is insane. Took me about 20 times to actually beat it. I think I beat GGAHT the first time I played it IIRC.
Old 01-08-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Number of the Beast > me

Old 01-08-08, 10:29 AM
Suspended

The next night I asked my wife if she wanted to see me fail it again.
Your poor wife.
Old 01-08-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tygan
use your wrists, not your forearms
Flex your wrist and tell me what muscle in your arm activates.
Old 01-08-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Your poor wife.
Old 01-08-08, 11:44 AM

Molly Hatchet was a problem for me too on hard. I almost made it through the first time, and failed right near the end of the solo. About 5 times (and a break)later, I worked my way through it. It wasn't pretty though. I had no problems at all with GGHT, now on drums that's a different story.
Old 01-08-08, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Flex your wrist and tell me what muscle in your arm activates.
Watch the tutorial on drumming - it shows how to correctly hold the sticks.

They should bounce in your hand....and if you do it right, your forearms don't take a beating.
Old 01-08-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally made it through Next to You in the Hard drum career this morning (just barely). Now the only song left is Run to the Hills. It seems to me like that's the hardest song in the Hard drum career, unless maybe you're an actual drummer, in which case the patterns might make more sense to you. I imagine I'll be spending a lot of time in the Practice mode for that one...
Old 01-08-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tygan
Watch the tutorial on drumming - it shows how to correctly hold the sticks.

They should bounce in your hand....and if you do it right, your forearms don't take a beating.
I will do that. I'm also thinking about having my band's drummer drop by and give me some tips.
Old 01-08-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Silkk_34
Molly Hatchet was a problem for me too on hard. I almost made it through the first time, and failed right near the end of the solo. About 5 times (and a break)later, I worked my way through it. It wasn't pretty though. I had no problems at all with GGHT, now on drums that's a different story.
aaugh! Gave it another half dozen tries on my lunch break. Felt like breaking the guitar. I fail between 73%-78% every time. My problem seems to be that I need the Overdrive starting the solo because I'm halfway down the meter by the time I get there. So I obviously cannot make it through on that one Overdrive.

Very frustrating.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.