Rock Band: Official Thread, 3

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Rock Band: Official Thread, 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay.... so im playing guitar and then all the sudden when i press down on the paddle it doent register unless i press really hard, while if i press up on the paddle it registers on teh slighest tap. How can I fix this? I loved it when they both registered on a small tap.
Old 12-29-07, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dvd182
I thought the Sounds song was the best from last week, and would definitely buy the whole "Dying To Say This To You" album if it were made available.
You and me both. The Sounds song is really hit or miss for people--I love it, but many people I know can't stand it.
Old 12-29-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RForte1189
Okay.... so im playing guitar and then all the sudden when i press down on the paddle it doent register unless i press really hard, while if i press up on the paddle it registers on teh slighest tap. How can I fix this? I loved it when they both registered on a small tap.
You fix it by getting a replacement guitar.
Old 12-30-07, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by lordwow
You fix it by getting a replacement guitar.
thanks
Old 12-30-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by neocheddar02
You and me both. The Sounds song is really hit or miss for people--I love it, but many people I know can't stand it.
Count me in the "like it" camp - it's fun to play. All of the DLC last week was fun to play, which is all I really want out of the game.
Old 12-30-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
I enjoyed 3 of the songs, wasn't a fan of the 30 Seconds to Mars tracks.
Old 12-30-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
I enjoyed 3 of the songs, wasn't a fan of the 30 Seconds to Mars tracks.
I only got the AAR songs. I enjoy them because they're challenging on Hard, but not so much so that I'm tossing my guitar across the room. I guess that's about where I am in the game.

Either way, some of the best $1s I've spent on XBL.

Last edited by lordwow; 12-30-07 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-30-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Alright, I've been mostly drumming (because the guitar note charts in this game are terrible), and even bought a decent drum throne and sticks.

However, the jump from Easy to Medium in drums is astounding. I fail within 20% of the song. Granted, I'm the world's worst drummer, but it seems like the patterns are unreasonably hard for that level of difficulty.
Old 12-30-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Alright, I've been mostly drumming (because the guitar note charts in this game are terrible), and even bought a decent drum throne and sticks.

However, the jump from Easy to Medium in drums is astounding. I fail within 20% of the song. Granted, I'm the world's worst drummer, but it seems like the patterns are unreasonably hard for that level of difficulty.
Try some of those bonus songs! I was amazed at how hard some of them were even on easy. I haven't even bothered messing with those on medium.

I think I'm about 10 songs into drums on Hard and now most of the songs in the third tier completely kick my ass. I think I might be stuck at medium for good.

The thing that made it easy for me on medium was how much repetition there was (unless it was really fast patterns), now on hard a lot of those repetitious beats are gone and resemble closer to what the drummer is actually playing. I still cannot disconnect my foot from my hand, so anytime a kick pedal note comes "off beat" of another note, it screws me up. Hell, on Enter Sandman on Medium I pretty much ignored the kick pedal for most of the song.
Old 12-30-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
I still cannot disconnect my foot from my hand, so anytime a kick pedal note comes "off beat" of another note, it screws me up. Hell, on Enter Sandman on Medium I pretty much ignored the kick pedal for most of the song.
You'll never continually land the trickier kicks successfully if you think about it. Just keep the beat with your foot. It takes some practice to get the hang of that, but once you do, it really is a breeze.

Personally, I didn't have much trouble with medium drums at all, but I thought the leap in difficulty from medium to hard was really dramatic. Obsessive overplaying has really cranked up my hand/eye coordination (I can plow through songs I thought were borderline-impossible on medium before), so maybe I'll do a little better with that now.

Josh: I bought a throne too, by the way.
Old 12-30-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
You'll never continually land the trickier kicks successfully if you think about it. Just keep the beat with your foot. It takes some practice to get the hang of that, but once you do, it really is a breeze.

Personally, I didn't have much trouble with medium drums at all, but I thought the leap in difficulty from medium to hard was really dramatic. Obsessive overplaying has really cranked up my hand/eye coordination (I can plow through songs I thought were borderline-impossible on medium before), so maybe I'll do a little better with that now.

Josh: I bought a throne too, by the way.
I'm in the same boat. Medium was baffling to me, but I just played til I thought I'd broken my hand. Now it comes a lot more naturally, and I'm improving dramatically on Hard.

I'm really considering a throne as well. Sitting on two pillows stacked on a couch probably isn't helping me out much.
Old 12-30-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Guitar Note charts, terrible? Easy perhaps, but I dunno about that one.
Old 12-30-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I think they're great, especially if we're comparing the to GH3. They make more sense and are less punishing. And a lot of fun.
Old 12-30-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
After putting in about 40 hours into GHIII, I must say I'm not too impressed with the guitar parts in Rock Band either. Everyone hates on GHIII because of the insane notes, but I've become accustomed to them and pulling off those complex combos/strings is far more satisfying than in RB. It's still fun, but doesn't seem as satisfying.
Old 12-30-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
After putting in about 40 hours into GHIII, I must say I'm not too impressed with the guitar parts in Rock Band either. Everyone hates on GHIII because of the insane notes, but I've become accustomed to them and pulling off those complex combos/strings is far more satisfying than in RB. It's still fun, but doesn't seem as satisfying.
The much-relaxed timing window in GH3 is the reason that most people are able to hit those longer HO/PO sections. Nailing the more precise HO's in some of the songs on RB is just as satisfying. GGaHT for one, as well as a lot of the DLC (Joker & The Thief, Ride the Lightning, etc.).
Old 12-30-07, 04:42 PM

I've worked up to expert on guitar so far. Just started really putting some time into the drum solo career. I was breezing through medium, with no problems, until GGAHT. Arghhh!! It's been killing me.
Old 12-30-07, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
The much-relaxed timing window in GH3 is the reason that most people are able to hit those longer HO/PO sections. Nailing the more precise HO's in some of the songs on RB is just as satisfying. GGaHT for one, as well as a lot of the DLC (Joker & The Thief, Ride the Lightning, etc.).
Well cool. I'm only about 3 cities in at this point playing medium and some hard.
Old 12-30-07, 06:00 PM

How long are these songs going to be a dollar. I dont have the game yet, and i heard something about a limited time. Thanks.
Old 12-30-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well cool. I'm only about 3 cities in at this point playing medium and some hard.
I don't know how it sizes up on Med/Hard to GH3. I pretty much just play Expert since I've played the GH series since it came out. On the Solo Tours, GGaHT is the last song. If you have any DLC, you can always just go into the bonus section and play it there in either Career or Quick Play.

They'll also show up randomly in WBT mystery setlists to cheers or groans, depending on who you're playing with. The other night, I was playing with a RB noob (but fairly decent on GH), and we were going to do a 3-song set on WBT. It was Random/Random/Wanted Dead or Alive and I chose Expert and he chose Expert as well, although I think he's at more of a Hard skill level. As it was loading, I made the comment "I hope it's not Blackened" and what was it? Blackened! I was on guitar and he failed out on the bass! First time I'd lost fans with my solo-ish band, and it hurt!
Old 12-30-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
They seem to be just patterns. They don't seem to match the note or the rhythm. I'm probably more sensitive to this given my guitar playing experience.

Adam, what did you end up buying? I got a DW Airlift. Cost almost as much as the game itself, but I figure that I can use it when I play my (real) guitar too.
Old 12-30-07, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Disappointing week for DLC for me, if only because I find Blink-182 to be possibly the worst band of the past 15 years.

Hopefully something better for next week.
Old 12-30-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by abrg923
Disappointing week for DLC for me, if only because I find Blink-182 to be possibly the worst band of the past 15 years.

Hopefully something better for next week.
This hasn't even been confirmed yet. I haven't read the info stated a couple pages ago on any other forum. Harmonix didn't announce their DLC until Monday last week, so we'll probably hear something official tomorrow around 11AM or so. I highly doubt that the bands listed would be 80MS Pts. That was probably a special occassion for XMas, and also for some lesser-known bands. The Killers, Van Halen & Blink-182 are definitely not lesser known.
Old 12-30-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Adam, what did you end up buying? I got a DW Airlift. Cost almost as much as the game itself, but I figure that I can use it when I play my (real) guitar too.
Nothing quite that nice! I don't know the model name or anything -- just something reasonably sturdy looking that Guitar Center had marked down from $80 to $25.

Old 12-30-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bought that same throne for $40ish at a local place. It's decent and does the job. I've come to the realization that I'm not that good at drums and just can't disconnect my foot enough to handle the bass pedal.

Also, I've always been more comfortable tapping a beat with my heel rather than my toes, but I haven't found a way to position the pedal in that manner in a way that's comfortable.
Old 12-30-07, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
Also, I've always been more comfortable tapping a beat with my heel rather than my toes, but I haven't found a way to position the pedal in that manner in a way that's comfortable.
I had a choir teacher growing up that made us tap the beat that way. He claimed that most people would have an easier time of keeping a steady beat with the heel. Tapping with the toes makes your foot tire faster, so the beat gets off. At least if you are not used to it.

Made sense to me so I tap that way as well. And I was just thinking the other night about trying to position the pedal to do it with my heel.

One of the big helps for me was when I saw the "tip" on the loading screen about holding the pedal down and just releasing it and pushing it back down to hit the drum. If my foot didn't get so tired compressing the spring, I'd always do it like this. It's much easier for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.