Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mass Effect

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-07, 06:10 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by noonan4224
Cool. Since I'm doing a Renegade path, I think I'm going to like Wrex. He seems like Mass Effect's version of HK-47.
Agreed! He has some great one-liners and insight during cut scenes!
Old 11-22-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I'm only about 4 hours in, but I'm liking the game so far. The only thing is that I just don't feel like I'm playing it right - I can't put my finger on it, but it's as if I'm missing something, both with combat and the overall game progression and story. I figured by 4 hours it'd click, but it just hasn't.
Old 11-22-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
I am 8 hours in and I just got my ship. I am spending all my time doing side quests now. Exploring planets is cool, not as cool as it could have been but fun.
Old 11-23-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a level 6 or 7 vanguard and I am having a hell of a time in combat. It's so frustrating and difficult. I went to do my first assignment after leaving Presidium I went to investigate a distress call in the Argos Rho cluster and got ambushed by Geth. That took my 2-3 tries. Now I'm taking care of a hostage situation onboard a ship in the Farinata system of the Hades Gamma cluster, and I am getting my ass whooped. Am I not supposed to work on these difficult assignments right from the get-go? Should I be doing something else and leveling up some other way?
Old 11-23-07, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I got past that part and did some more combat scenarios, and I'm starting to get the hang of it. It's still extremely frustrating, but when everything works in your favor it's a lot of fun.

Grenades: Why does it take so long for them to detonate? Where can I get more?
Old 11-23-07, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought combat was hard at first, too. Every time I got a better assault rifle, I equipped it and upgraded it appropriately, but I was still getting killed or barely making it through a fight...then I realized I had been using my pistol the entire time. Once I actually equipped my assault rifle, things got a whole lot better.

Once you throw a grenade, you need to hit the grenade button again to detonate it. Otherwise, the grenade will detonate on its own after ten seconds.
Old 11-23-07, 09:18 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

there is one member slot still open in my crew seleciton. Should I wait till i find whoever it is before leaving the citadel for the first time? I heard somewhere here that you get everyone who joins you on the citadel...
Old 11-23-07, 09:26 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
there is one member slot still open in my crew seleciton. Should I wait till i find whoever it is before leaving the citadel for the first time? I heard somewhere here that you get everyone who joins you on the citadel...
It's impossible to get everyone before you leave the Citidel.

It is very easy to guess where you will get the sixth member though (once you get your 3 story missions).
Old 11-23-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
I could use some help...
Spoiler:
I'm on the mission to find Liara when you first leave the citadel and I'm stuck in a huge fight on the planet Therum. I've made it pretty far on the planet, now I'm at a point where there's a small cut scene and I get attacked by a bunch of Geth. Should I not be here yet?
Old 11-23-07, 12:59 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I could use some help...
Spoiler:
I'm on the mission to find Liara when you first leave the citadel and I'm stuck in a huge fight on the planet Therum. I've made it pretty far on the planet, now I'm at a point where there's a small cut scene and I get attacked by a bunch of Geth. Should I not be here yet?
You are close. After you take out the Geth, there is a door that leads down to her location on the right.

BTW, you have to use cover in that fight or you are as good as dead.
Old 11-23-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Yeah, I just freed her. That was a damn hard fight.
Old 11-23-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah this game isn't for me. After 10 minutes in I found myself surfing the internet just waiting to be able to do something. I can see how those who really get into the stories in game would enjoy it, but for me that is boring. I don't want to play with dialog trees. I have always been an RPG fan but more so of the action and customization of the character. I have never cared for the story lines for that I will watch a movie or read a book. I think that is more the problem for me. I love reading books so when I sit down to play a game I want to actually play it and not read/listen to dialog.
Old 11-23-07, 10:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Finally tried this out today. So far things are a little slow
Spoiler:
I'm just at the point where I'm confronting Fist for the first time
but I can see the seeds being sown for an epic story.

My biggest gripe is with the face creation. I made a female character and I tried to make her attractive as I could, but once I started the game she looked more alien than half the extraterrestrials in the game. And now I have to look at her all the way through.

Also, I picked Vanguard as my class but am honestly thinking about restarting as a different class, because I find I'm not using my biotics at all. How handy do they become later?
Old 11-24-07, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love the game. Still haven't really did the story missions yet and over 10 hours in.
Old 11-24-07, 01:24 AM
sk8r1189

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus

Grenades: Why does it take so long for them to detonate? Where can I get more?
They are on a 10 second timer? [citation needed]
You detonate them after throwing them by pressing BACK

Last edited by sk8r1189; 11-24-07 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-24-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how do you replenish your grenades?
Old 11-24-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by timewaster
how do you replenish your grenades?
I also would like to know this.

As well as, if I'm visiting the citadel, is there any way to go straight to the ship without having to take a train to c-sec (LOAD), take elevator to docking bay (LOAD), enter ship (LOAD), look at galaxy map (LOAD)?
Old 11-24-07, 03:14 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I also would like to know this.

As well as, if I'm visiting the citadel, is there any way to go straight to the ship without having to take a train to c-sec (LOAD), take elevator to docking bay (LOAD), enter ship (LOAD), look at galaxy map (LOAD)?
NOPE!
Old 11-24-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So where's the best place to buy things? I've been collecting a bunch of stuff for a few missions and loaded up my crew with the best of everything I got, then I sold all the extra stuff to my Req officer on the Normandy, and I have 420,577 credits now. I tried purchasing stuff from my Req officer and the Req office at C-Sec but they don't have anything that useful, as everything I've collected elsewhere has better stats.

So who and where can I find the best of the best stuff?

Also, is that considered a lot of credits? I'm a Level 23 Vanguard and I've been doing side missions almost exclusively. The only mission I did relating to the story so far has been rescuing Liara.
Old 11-24-07, 06:10 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So where's the best place to buy things? I've been collecting a bunch of stuff for a few missions and loaded up my crew with the best of everything I got, then I sold all the extra stuff to my Req officer on the Normandy, and I have 420,577 credits now. I tried purchasing stuff from my Req officer and the Req office at C-Sec but they don't have anything that useful, as everything I've collected elsewhere has better stats.

So who and where can I find the best of the best stuff?

Also, is that considered a lot of credits? I'm a Level 23 Vanguard and I've been doing side missions almost exclusively. The only mission I did relating to the story so far has been rescuing Liara.
For the most part I just use the crap I found while walking around. Just sell, sell, sell the useless stuff that you aren't equipping! Most $ I had at one point was $4,000,000 or so but blew most of it on Spectre Master Gear. You can also buy extra grenade and medi gel slots as well as the selling rights to manufacturers for your req officer. Sometimes there's decent stuff but for the most part you'll find most of the things you use comes from getting them in battle or chests. At higher levels the medical officer in Citadel has some nice armor upgrades.
Old 11-24-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Only about an an hour and a half in but I am liking it. I am looking forward to the story. So far its really well done. Great voice acting, really nice graphics. The combat is confusing at first, due to the covering system. it tries to do something like Gears of War but the covering doesn't really feel good and you cant pop up in and out as easily. Still the combat is pretty fun. More fun then your average RPGs. Cant wait to play it more
Old 11-24-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They're making the decisions in this game pretty tough...

Spoiler:

I'm deciding to either exterminate the arachni or set them free and let them kill everyone in the base... but they're making a really good argument for keeping them alive. What to do!
Old 11-25-07, 04:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mrglass
I thought combat was hard at first, too. Every time I got a better assault rifle, I equipped it and upgraded it appropriately, but I was still getting killed or barely making it through a fight...then I realized I had been using my pistol the entire time. Once I actually equipped my assault rifle, things got a whole lot better.

Once you throw a grenade, you need to hit the grenade button again to detonate it. Otherwise, the grenade will detonate on its own after ten seconds.

I was doing the same thing. I only ealized it when I got
Spoiler:
the pistol expert achivement
Old 11-25-07, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flay
You are close. After you take out the Geth, there is a door that leads down to her location on the right.

BTW, you have to use cover in that fight or you are as good as dead.
I made it through without cover. It's useless I think.
Old 11-25-07, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

An interesting quest for me:

Spoiler:
I landed on a planet (Vermire I think?) to investigate a distress signal. The first thing I thought was "this reminds me of that one mission in KOTOR where you land on the sandy beach planet and Carth I think has second thoughts and you can leave him behind or kill him." I then found out Wrex as in a similar situation, and I chose to have Ashley shoot him. I feel bad now, since he was always a favorite character of mine

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.