Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One and Only Gamefly Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
The One and Only Gamefly Thread

I searched for a general thread but it seems there are a dozen or so random type threads asking specific questions. With 'No Use For A Name' being so generous and handing out invites to about 50 people, thus far, it would be nice to have one thread to discuss/rate the service.

I put about 10 games in my queue yesterday most with a "low" or "very low" availability and surprisingly one of the "very lows" and "lows" shipped before two that were listed as "Now." That's a good sign.

Two were shipped today so hopefully I'll see 'em before the weekend.

Thanks again for the generosity No Use For A Name!
Old 07-25-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
I've been on the service for a few months now.

So far it's been...okay. I've gotten three games from them (Lost Planet, God of War II and Call of Duty 3). The first game came quickly, I was notified that the next game was shipping as soon as the mailman picked up my return and I got it a day or so later.

However, when I returned the second game, I did NOT get that notification and it took literally a week for Gamefly to acknowledge they received it. I had already reported it and then it "suddenly" showed up.

I just put Call of Duty in the mail yesterday and, once again, did not receive the notification they had picked up the game. Plus, nearly everything in my queue is very low to medium availability, and a lot of them just came out (so they should have a ton of copies.) This bothers me.

We'll see how long this next turnaround takes. The whole reason I signed up was to spend less money buying games and to be able to try out games I wouldn't buy. But if it's going to take weeks to ship things back and forth, I might as well go back to bargain hunting for $30-40 games and selling them on eBay when I'm done.

Last edited by Draven; 07-25-07 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-25-07, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to threadcrap, but what about www.gameznflix.com ??? They carry both games and movies. Use the code emmys and get 3 out for $13ish.

I've never used GnF, but I thought GameFly was slow when I did the trial. Although, people on CAG complain of Gameznflix also.
Old 07-25-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess we could have a One and Only Online rental thread.

I've been with Gamefly for about 3 months now and love them. Their prices are a little high (I offset $10/mo of that with Brightspot.tv). Their shipping/receiving is a little inconsistent... I've had them acknowledge receipt of my return from 1-5 days. Usually it's b/t 1-2 days though.
Old 07-25-07, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a bad idea

I still have to sign up for that free thing, but i blame the new TV for that.
Old 07-25-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
We'll see how long this next turnaround takes. The whole reason I signed up was to spend less money buying games and to be able to try out games I wouldn't buy. But if it's going to take weeks to ship things back and forth, I might as well go back to bargain hunting for $30-40 games and selling them on eBay when I'm done.
That's my concern. I do the same bargain hunting/selling on ebay. Usually works out to about
Old 07-25-07, 12:57 PM

I hate blockbuster with a passion, so this could definitely be a viable option
Old 07-25-07, 12:58 PM

Well, I just signed up this morning for the free trial - my first 2 games (one "available now" one "medium") are getting ready to ship.

Personally I like the online rental games better than say Netflix, because a game is something that often takes longer than the typical 3-5 day b&m rental times, and if you can get 3-5 game rentals a month (not necessarily beating each game) then it will be well worth it. However, I don't really have the time to make the proper value out of paying for it, which is why I'm glad this free trial coupon came along.
Old 07-25-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Not to threadcrap, but what about www.gameznflix.com ??? They carry both games and movies. Use the code emmys and get 3 out for $13ish.

I've never used GnF, but I thought GameFly was slow when I did the trial. Although, people on CAG complain of Gameznflix also.
Having used both, I strongly prefer Gamefly. Gamefly used to have super slow service for us East coast people, but they've remedied that by opening an East coast distribution center. GnF had awful availability when I was using them, which is why I canceled my account there. Gamefly is a lot better in that department, although in the last few weeks, the new releases have been in lower supply than I'm used to.

The nice thing is that it's cheap (or free) to try out each service and decide for yourself.
Old 07-25-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just noticed this thread so I'll say what I said in the other. I signed up last night for the free month. And today got an email that God of War II and Destroy All Humans 2 are on their way to me

I wonder how many games I can get through in a month... I already have 20 in that 'Q' I plan on playing non stop. I have games I really want in my top Q that way I can play them now for free and wait to find them cheap further down the line.
Old 07-25-07, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I tried Gameznflix a couple months back, and was very disappointed. I put Resistance at the top of my queue, and never got it, even though the games been out for 8 months. They were slow, and the final straw was when they shipped my last game, I never got it, and it was no longer in my queue. I cancelled a week after they received my final game and never got that next one. Plus their cookies suck, and had to keep signing in on their website. Gonna try Gamefly eventually..
Old 07-25-07, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried reactivating my account but because of their screwed up shipping I supposedly have a couple of lost games "credited" to my account so I guess I've been blacklisted now I guess on some level I can't blame them but it's screwed up none-the-less...
Old 07-26-07, 12:19 AM

Saw this on Joystiq.com, it looks like Gamefly may be looking to add another distribution center in Austin, TX. I hope this turns out to be true, since I am in Florida I currently ship from California.

Gamefly to Texas??

This is from Monster.com
We are the leading subscription based video game rental company headquartered in Los Angeles, CA. We will be opening a satellite Distribution Center in Austin and we have an outstanding opportunity for an OPERATIONS MANAGER.
Old 07-26-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nemein
I tried reactivating my account but because of their screwed up shipping I supposedly have a couple of lost games "credited" to my account so I guess I've been blacklisted now I guess on some level I can't blame them but it's screwed up none-the-less...
I haven't had a lost game yet, but I've had about 2-3 take 5 days to get processed in their return center. I'm only a few miles from them.

But like I said earlier, most of mine are processed in 1-2 days.
Old 07-26-07, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I haven't had a lost game yet, but I've had about 2-3 take 5 days to get processed in their return center. I'm only a few miles from them.

But like I said earlier, most of mine are processed in 1-2 days.

It happened the last time I'm tried them about a year ago. They sent 4 games total (well one was a reship) and of those I received only 1 so I canceled the account again. Since then I've used the store a couple of times w/o any problems, but now my account is locked out entirely so I can't do anything. I've submitted an appeal so we'll see if that gets anywhere but I haven't heard anything back so far Damn shame too since I just picked up a PS3 and the local video stores don't have much in the way of games yet
Old 07-26-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nemein
Damn shame too since I just picked up a PS3 and the local video stores don't have much in the way of games yet
Actually - you're thinking of the PS3 here. It's not the store's fault.
Old 07-26-07, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Actually - you're thinking of the PS3 here. It's not the store's fault.

I know, but GF still has a larger selection than any of the stores local to me.
Old 07-26-07, 12:10 PM

just sent out the Darkness and Big Brain Academy : Wii Degree
Old 07-26-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
The whole "Fast Return" thing seemed like a great idea - as soon as the post office acknowledged they received the game, your next one would ship. As I said, the first return I made did this.

The two returns since then have not and I'm going on 3 days since I sent back my latest game and GF still doesn't acknowledge it at all. In fact, today I got the email asking me if I wanted to keep it.

Lamers.
Old 07-26-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Signed up in the evening last night and got shipped notification this afternoon (one was high availability, one was low)
Old 07-26-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there any sort of guideline as to when on a given day the shipping notices go out? Some in my queue have been bumped up to "Now" but I don't think that means all 3 are shipping since I can only have 2 at a time. So is there a status on the GameQ page that'll be obvious that it has shipped?
Old 07-26-07, 01:42 PM

i got an email confirmation about 8-10 hours later
Old 07-26-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Is there any sort of guideline as to when on a given day the shipping notices go out? Some in my queue have been bumped up to "Now" but I don't think that means all 3 are shipping since I can only have 2 at a time. So is there a status on the GameQ page that'll be obvious that it has shipped?
Yes, first my status changed to "shipping" and now both discs have been moved to a new header that reads "Games I Have Out" while the rest of my queue stayed under the "Games on My List" header below. Similar to Netflix, I believe.
Old 07-26-07, 01:47 PM

BTW in case anyone needs them the phone #s for GF are 888-986-6400 or 310-664-6400. It took a little bit of digging on the web to find so I thought I'd post them here and save other people the trouble.
Old 07-26-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Uh oh, I hope we dont need the number!

I didnt get my games in yet, I thought it would be 1 day but I guess it takes 2.

Question. When mailing back the game, do I need to notify them, or will it be scanned by the PO and that will electonically notify them? Is that what the "Fast Return" is?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.