Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Resident Evil 5

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Half of development cycles is ususally spend building all the engines. The rest is just refining details.
Old 07-20-07, 10:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Exactly. Games with shorter development cycles are typically using a pre-built engine. Games where the engine is built from the ground up take longer. RE4, for example, was originally going to be built using the RE0 engine.
Old 07-20-07, 11:23 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
But it has online multi-player play, which adds to the longevity of the game. I'm just saying, unless you are working on Duke Nukem Forever, 4 years is quite the extensive game cycle, and isn't the norm.
No, 4 year development cycles may not be the norm, but they are not uncommon either. As said by a previous poster, games with pre-built engines typically have shorter development times. Gears of War already had the engine pre-built: the Unreal 3.0 engine.

Originally Posted by Groucho
RE4, for example, was originally going to be built using the RE0 engine.
Actually, the first version of RE4 used the REmake engine. RE0 used the REmake engine too. There is a video on Gametrailers.com that shows the early version of RE4 in the REmake engine.
Old 07-20-07, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
Actually, the first version of RE4 used the REmake engine. RE0 used the REmake engine too. There is a video on Gametrailers.com that shows the early version of RE4 in the REmake engine.
You're right. I forgot that RE0 was originally designed as a N64 game (!)

I'm assuming you're referring to the video where Leon is fighting the dolls, etc. Freaky shit.
Old 07-20-07, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm assuming you're referring to the video where Leon is fighting the dolls, etc. Freaky shit.
Yeah, that's it. It also showed a ghost with a hook weapon. IMO, that short video clip was more scary than the entire retail version of RE4.
Old 07-20-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Yeah, that's it. It also showed a ghost with a hook weapon. IMO, that short video clip was more scary than the entire retail version of RE4.
You have a link to this trailer?
Old 07-20-07, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mordred
You have a link to this trailer?
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/7188.html

The retail RE4 was a good game, but this early version footage looks better IMO. It retains the classic RE atmosphere and survival horror which was pretty much completely abandoned in the final version.
Old 07-21-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the trailer. I never saw that before.
Old 07-26-07, 06:00 PM
Banned

Extended E3 RE5 trailer

Here is the extended trailer from E3. This trailer shows a little bit of gameplay. The gameplay looks practically identical to RE4.

I noticed that the mobs of enemies attacking you are much bigger than in RE4. So you people that thought RE4 was hard will really be bitching this time around.

Last edited by taffer; 07-26-07 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-26-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks incredible. Finally "next gen" games. I'm afraid of what 3 or 4 more years of development is going to give us with these systems or 7 or 8 years with the PS3's 10 year plan. Seeing how much of an improvement there always is between the first and last few years of a system. Games are going to be spectacular.
Old 07-26-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just saw the trailer, and I can't wait to play RE5: Hate Crimes!

Seriously though, if I decide to buy the 360 version, it's going to take alot for me to get used to playing a RE game on anything other than the Wii.
Old 07-26-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

for a Wii port with RE4 controls...would be happy to "endure" whatever downgrade the graphics would suffer for those controls.

On a side note...did they seriously just make a game where a white dude runs around killing black people? I could care less, but dollars to donuts somebody finds it offputting.
Old 07-26-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care either, but yeah, you know that it's going to cause a stir sooner or later. Not only "black people" either, but rabid, murderous black people.

The game looks unreal though. If only we could have Wii controls with those graphics.
Old 07-26-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The game is in Africa obviously. Who lives in Africa? Black people. It's like having a game take place in Japan and bitching about killing Asians.
Old 07-26-07, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course, I agree with you, but you know that there will be people out there who will complain about it.
Old 07-26-07, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree as well...especially as a follow on to killing uberwhite eurotrash...but I gotta admit that when I saw that video, I was a bit uncomfortable...can't even explain why.

I can't wait for the alarmists and demogogues out there to pick up on it. You'd have to be pretty naive to think they won't.

Either way, just give me a Wii version ASAP!!!
Old 07-27-07, 04:04 AM

Umbrella Chronicles will have awesome Wii controls
Old 07-27-07, 05:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by chess

On a side note...did they seriously just make a game where a white dude runs around killing black people? I could care less, but dollars to donuts somebody finds it offputting.

The last 2 GRAW games had soldiers killing Mexicans.
Old 07-27-07, 07:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chess
All the enemies in RE4 were Hispanic. I don't remember people complaining about that.

Originally Posted by Mopower
Looks incredible. Finally "next gen" games. I'm afraid of what 3 or 4 more years of development is going to give us with these systems or 7 or 8 years with the PS3's 10 year plan. Seeing how much of an improvement there always is between the first and last few years of a system. Games are going to be spectacular.
I seriously doubt that PS3 games will be made for 10 years... The PS4 will be out in 5 years most likely.

Sony always mentions a 10 year life. They said that the PS1 and PS2 would have 10 year lives too. What this means is that they will keep producing hardware for 10 years; it does not mean they will keep supporting it with software. The PS1 hardware was being produced up until a couple years ago, but software died for it long before that. Same thing is happening with the PS2. PS2 hardware is still being produced and still being sold, but software has pretty much dried up. PS2 hardware will continue to be produced for several more years, but is there any major new software titles still coming? Not that I am aware of. The PS3 hardware will continue the same tradition; Sony will keep producing the hardware for 10 or so years, but the PS3 software will die off once the PS4 comes out in 5 years.
Old 07-27-07, 08:09 AM

Great graphics, but it looks to be very much a RE4 clone, replacing European villagers with African ones.
Old 07-27-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds good to me. The RE4 gameplay was a lot of fun. Also, this new African setting is pretty unique for a survival horror game, so I'm interested to see what they do with it, storywise.
Old 07-27-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Cool trailer. Graphics look awesome. Was that an assault rifle Chris was using in one scene?

I thought this was going to be the game that made me purchase a Wii, but I don't think that's the case now, since it's available on the 360.
Old 07-27-07, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris_D
Also, this new African setting is pretty unique for a survival horror game, so I'm interested to see what they do with it, storywise.
I have read that there will be some kind of dehydration system in the game. Taking place in the desert with very little water, Chris has to be on the constant lookout for any water to keep from becoming dehydrated.
Old 08-01-07, 03:24 PM
Banned

The "RE5 is racist" claims begin

African Women’s Blog Critical of Resident Evil 5 Trailer

Capcom’s Resident Evil 5 hasn’t even got a release date, but it’ s already drawn the ire of a blog devoted to African women.

Black Looks calls into question the game’s setting as depicted in the trailer, first shown at this year’s E3 in Santa Monica:

The new Resident Evil video game depicts a white man in what appears to be Africa killing Black people. The Black people are supposed to be zombies and the white man’s job is to destroy them and save humanity…

This is problematic on so many levels, including the depiction of Black people as inhuman savages, the killing of Black people by a white man in military clothing, and the fact that this video game is marketed to children and young adults. Start them young… fearing, hating, and destroying Black people.
The controversy over this game is going to get really nasty as more and more people find out about the game. Resident Evil 5 = the next banned and/or AO game?
Old 08-01-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny, I don't remember any Hispanic outcry when RE 4 first came out. I guess if they set it in South Africa and made the zombies white, everything would be just peachy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.