Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Have there been any reviews for Far Cry Wii?
Old 12-13-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Likewise, any impressions on Super Swing Golf?
Old 12-13-06, 11:18 AM

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21691

European consumers snap up 325,000 Wii consoles in two days

Ellie Gibson 12:55 13/12/2006
Wii Play and Legend of Zelda most popular titles

Nintendo has announced that the Wii console has sold out in Europe, with 325,000 units snapped up in the two days following last Friday's launch.

That means the Wii now holds the title of fastest-selling home console in history across Europe - and not just in the UK.

First-party launch title The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was a big hit with consumers, shifting 240,000 copies over the launch weekend - meaning 74 per cent of those buying a console also bought the game.

Mini-game collection Wii Play, which comes bundled with a remote controller, was bought by more than 50 per cent of Wii purchasers

"Wii has become an overnight success in Europe with people of all ages rushing out to get their hands on the console," said Nintendo Europe marketing director Laurent Fischer.

"Even at this early stage it is clear that Wii is delivering on its promise to expand the gaming market, with a uniquely diverse audience all keen to experience the sensation for themselves."

Due to high demand for the console shop shelves remain empty at present, but Fischer pledged, "For those who were unable to buy Wii during the launch weekend, rest assured more stock is already on its way.

"We are doing everything possible to ensure that a steady supply of Wii units is shipped to stores across Europe throughout December and into 2007."

The arrival of the Wii was heralded with a launch event at HMV's flagship branch last week.

"The demand for Wii has been truly amazing, and the official launch at our Oxford Street store was one of the biggest events we've ever staged there," said Tim Ellis, head of games for HMV.

"HMV has received a huge amount of customer pre-orders - beyond anything we've ever seen before, including from family shoppers as well as dedicated Nintendo gamers.

"This suggests that while Wii is obviously one of the must-have items this Christmas, it also has the potential to appeal to a huge mainstream audience over the longer-term." (For more from Ellis, read our exclusive interview.)

The Wii launched in North America on November 19, where 600,000 consoles were sold in the first eight days following launch. It's also proved to be a hit in Japan, with the territory's allocation of 400,000 units flying off the shelves on day one.

Those greedy Europeans, no wonder I cannot find one!

Chris
Old 12-13-06, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Likewise, any impressions on Super Swing Golf?
29/40 from Famitsu, supposedly.
Old 12-13-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well, I CAN confirm Elebits came out today, as I have a new, sealed copy in front of my desk
Old 12-13-06, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought Super Swing Golf was pushed til later in the week.
Old 12-13-06, 01:12 PM

I saw the box at the store, but I didn't see any physical copies. I think its actually out, though
Old 12-13-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
In anticipation of the release of Opera for the Wii (on 12/23) I've begun to scope out free and small web servers. Why? Because I plan on running a web server on my home network as a "portal" for the Wii. Depending upon the capabilities of Opera for Wii, I want to make a Media Center-esque portal to share my media on the Wii. (it will be able to share photos at the very least)

If anyone else is interested, here's a free web server that is light on resources:
http://www.aprelium.com/
Old 12-13-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought we were done for Christmas after finding a second remote and nunchuck. Then we got a new TV, so I ordered the component cables from Nintendo today. Hopefully they'll arrive in time to play with on Christmas day.

My wife also picked up Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam today. I love Tony Hawk games, but wasn't impressed with what I've been hearing about it. Does anyone have any opinions of it? I had planned to just skip it, but she wanted to surprise me and I couldn't tell her the reviews I've heard haven't been favorable.

Anyone have any experiences with young kids? My youngest is 4. I'm sure something like Zelda will be too advanced for him, but what about some of the other games? We have Wii Sports (of course), Zelda, Excite Truck and now Tony Hawk. I'm sure he'll love playing the Wii. He loves his brothers game boy. Is obsessed with it actually. Last weekend we found him under the covers playing it at 3am. Of course we now know to put it up for the night when his time is up. Anyway, the point is, I'm hoping there are games he'll actually be able to grasp rather than just running around not really knowing what he's doing.
Old 12-13-06, 06:40 PM

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts
Mercury Meltodown is coming to the Wii !! Read about it over at ign.com That was one of the main reasons I kept my PSP as long as I did. The Wii version, according to the article, is supposed to have over 150 levels!

I really loved that game, but not enough to keep my PSP. I was hoping it would make it over to the DS, but I'll take on the Wii !

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 12-13-06 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-13-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When playing Gamecube games on the Wii, is there a way to go back to the Wii Menu? It seems like my Wii-mote doesn't respond when I'm playing GC games. I usually have to just reset my Wii.
Old 12-13-06, 08:52 PM
Cool New Member

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend me a good game to get for Wii - I am at nerves end with the World 5 boss in Super Monkey Ball (honestly the cheapest boss I've encountered in years in gaming), and am trading in the game for something else.

I was thinking either Trauma Center or Rayman, but for every positive I read about these 2 games, I read 2 more negatives. What do you guys think? Which game would you get? And if you have any other suggestions besides the 2 games I mentioned, feel free to mention them.
Old 12-13-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Anyone have any experiences with young kids? My youngest is 4. I'm sure something like Zelda will be too advanced for him, but what about some of the other games? We have Wii Sports (of course), Zelda, Excite Truck and now Tony Hawk. I'm sure he'll love playing the Wii. He loves his brothers game boy. Is obsessed with it actually. Last weekend we found him under the covers playing it at 3am. Of course we now know to put it up for the night when his time is up. Anyway, the point is, I'm hoping there are games he'll actually be able to grasp rather than just running around not really knowing what he's doing.
My almost 3-year-old really enjoys Wii Sports and Excite Truck. Both are basic enough that he can grasp what he needs to do to control the game (though working towards a goal like winning is not something he cares about).
Old 12-13-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tepid reviews indeed so far.

I didn't get Rayman Raving Rabbids based on reviews but I keep hearing people saying it's a blast.

Monkey Ball is getting beat up on, but honestly I consider the single player game secondary. Monkey Ball is all about the minigames. The single player game in Monkey Ball games just gets too hard for your average human being to defeat.

That said some of the minigames are kind of complicated with the new controls. A far cry from the simplicity of the old monkey ball minigames.
Old 12-13-06, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chroma914
I was thinking either Trauma Center or Rayman, but for every positive I read about these 2 games, I read 2 more negatives. What do you guys think? Which game would you get? And if you have any other suggestions besides the 2 games I mentioned, feel free to mention them.
To be honest I have only played the first operation in Trauma Center so far and it was enjoyable enough. My little sister has played game through the first ten or so operations and appeared to be enjoying herself. On Thanksgiving she went so far as to run through the first few a couple of times being getting a B-rank or better through the various difficulty levels.
Old 12-13-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I rented Trauma Center, and had a blast with it during the first half of the game. However, the second half of the game was a little stale for me. After completing the main story, I was pretty much done with the game. I didn't want to go through it again and try to get higher rankings for each operation. I'm glad I rented it instead of actually buying it.

I'm still waiting for my local Blockbuster to get Rayman so I can rent it, but they say they have no idea if/when they'll get it in.
Old 12-13-06, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
In anticipation of the release of Opera for the Wii (on 12/23) I've begun to scope out free and small web servers. Why? Because I plan on running a web server on my home network as a "portal" for the Wii. Depending upon the capabilities of Opera for Wii, I want to make a Media Center-esque portal to share my media on the Wii. (it will be able to share photos at the very least)

If anyone else is interested, here's a free web server that is light on resources:
http://www.aprelium.com/
Opera's being released on 12/23? Is this confirmed? That's a lot sooner than I expected...I know the Weather Channel launches on 12/20.
Old 12-14-06, 01:00 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how can I get the Wii Message Board to stop keeping track of my Wii activity? It never shows me anything interesting and I want it to stop cluttering my otherwise empty message board.
Old 12-14-06, 07:30 AM

Elebits is so utterly amazing, I don't understand why everyone doesn't have a copy yet. I'm not just saying that either
Old 12-14-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
Whatever happened to the Nintendo component cables being available in stores? Has anyone seen them yet?
Old 12-14-06, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
Elebits is so utterly amazing, I don't understand why everyone doesn't have a copy yet. I'm not just saying that either
Is it $50-amazing? $50-that-could-buy-any-number-of-other-games-on-other-systems-I-haven't-played-yet amazing?

Aside from Zelda, I didn't get that vibe from any Wii game.
Old 12-14-06, 07:44 AM

i heard from a gamestop manager that they won't be available for retail purchase until January
Old 12-14-06, 07:47 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by The Bus
Is it $50-amazing? $50-that-could-buy-any-number-of-other-games-on-other-systems-I-haven't-played-yet amazing?

Aside from Zelda, I didn't get that vibe from any Wii game.

Yeah, there's not much that gets me that vibe outside of Mario, Zelda and Metroid.

I figure it will be DS, virtual console and getting through a stack of PC games a friend lent me after I finish up Zelda as I see nothing else worth $50 so I'll be waiting for some price drops.
Old 12-14-06, 07:48 AM

I'd say Elebits is about $75 amazing...

the controls are a staple of what Wii games can, and should be. If you've played Red Steel, well, you get the opposite side of the spectrum.

The environments + original game play are truely addictive. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I enjoyed a tutorial in a game, especially to this level.

If that doesn't peak your interest, how about the most insane level creation to date, not to mention you can upload levels to a friend to play or edit himself.

I can honestly see people spending 15-20 hours making their own levels in the game
Old 12-14-06, 07:49 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I received my Component cables yesterday. Boy, they sure do make a difference on an HDTV. The graphics look pretty crisp and aren't as "fuzzy"

I also picked up Elebits. Haven't opened it yet. But I got it for half off using a coupon I had and a small gift card.

How are levels in Elebits shared? Via memory card to friends, or is there a way to send them via a Wii message to someone?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.