Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you're supposed to be able to send them online. I need to swap codes with someone who has it, so i can try it out for sure...

preferably someone with an xbox live account, so we can chat and get it working properly.

I fooled around for about 20 minutes with the level creation mode and I was absolutely floored!
Old 12-14-06, 08:01 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well.. perhaps I'll open my game and throw it in.

Both my Wii code and Xbox gamertag are in my signature. Feel free to add both.
Old 12-14-06, 08:21 AM

awesome

I honestly don't know what my Wii code is, but I can check for ya tonight. My LIVE! gamer tag is the same as my name here (kurrptsenate)

I didn't get too far in the game as I only beat the first boss. I can expect to spend quite a lot of time getting used to creating levels, and then setting it up to perfection. It will probably take about an hour or 2 to get the full swing of things, but it would be nice to get it working first, then move on from there
Old 12-14-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nintendo S-VIDEO Cables

Well..... I don't have a flat panel TV or HD TV so I really can't take advantage of the Component cables. So I got myself the last pair of S-Video cables at BestBuy last night. I am very happy with the picture compared to the composite cables.

With all this hype you guys have almost tempted me to go out and get a flat panel TV and some component cables. Almost anyway

So to those out there with a regular standard TV, get the S-Video cables. You'll be happy!
Old 12-14-06, 08:32 AM

mine's not an HDTV, but it has enhanced definition, or component hook-ups to run in 480p. I know how much it improved my picture for my 360, and I'm waiting impatiently for my component cables.

I actually have 2 sets being shipped to me. Ill probably sell the second one to arrive ASAP
Old 12-14-06, 08:34 AM

My take on Elebits: A Quick Review

I bought Elebits last night, mostly because I had some Reward Zone certificates to use. It's a really fun game. Here are my thoughts so far.

First off, it's fun. A lot of fun. I played last night for about 45 minutes. By the end of the 45 minutes, my wrist and fingers were sore. I'm not sure that is a good thing, but I'm sure it is something I will grow used to over time. I hope. The training session is extensive, a bit too much for my taste. It took a long time, but I will say that I was prepared to play after I completed the training.

I only played throught the first two levels before quitting. The controls are excellent. It's really just an FPS game in a sort of childish way. The wii-mote is the most responsive that I have seen so far, and I own 8 Wii games already. The elebits are rather small, but I had no trouble pinpointing them with the wii-mote. It is a lot of fun to use your Ghostbuster-esque photon beam to grab things in a room and throw them around. The levels are really trashed after your time is up. There are 30 levels altogether. I'm hoping the difficult will increase because I easily cleared the levels on the first try.

I think the multiplayer is where it's at with this game. I did not play the multiplayer yet, but I can definitely see the potential. I imagine it is going to get quite chaotic with four players throwing things around a room simultaneously. Also, there is a level editor that allows you to use the existing level designs and add your own items and elebits. The levels you create can be posted online for friends and others to play. Kinda neat.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun in the 45 minutes I played. I can see getting a lot of play out of this title and I'm anxious to play the multiplayer and level creator.
Old 12-14-06, 08:35 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Well, my component cables arrived yesterday. Let me echo the statements that the picture looks much better.

I was using the standard rca cables that came with the Wii in my HDTV. The picture always looked a bit fuzzy and not as crisp.

With the component cables, everything is sharp and crisp. A great improvement and invenstment. $30 at the Nintendo store wasn't too bad. Though it would have been nice if the Wii came with the cable already. Oh well..
Old 12-14-06, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sominex
Nintendo S-VIDEO Cables

Well..... I don't have a flat panel TV or HD TV so I really can't take advantage of the Component cables. So I got myself the last pair of S-Video cables at BestBuy last night. I am very happy with the picture compared to the composite cables.

With all this hype you guys have almost tempted me to go out and get a flat panel TV and some component cables. Almost anyway

So to those out there with a regular standard TV, get the S-Video cables. You'll be happy!
Thanks for the advice. I have the component cables hooked up on one tv in my house, but I've used up all of the component inputs on another tv that I may use to play with my Wii. I didn't really want to invest the money in a component splitter box of some sort and additional component cables. I may get the S-video cables instead. The tv will only be used occasionally. These may work perfectly. The composite cables look terrible.
Old 12-14-06, 08:42 AM

The difficulty in Elebits goes way up after the second level.

They start limiting the amount of noise you can do, and the amount of objects you can break.

An example would be, when you are just randomly hurling objects out of the way, searching in a Double Dare-esque fashion, you might throw some plates or cups. If you break too many on those certain levels, you fail instantly.

With the noise, every action you do registers on the dB meter. If it goes above 60 dB at any one time, you lose a notch. After 10 notches, you lose.

I won't give the boss fight away in the first world, but I managed to beat him with only 7 seconds left the first time I played him.
Old 12-14-06, 08:57 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Best Buy has a switchbox that handles component cables and comes with a set as well. It's only $25.
Old 12-14-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by aerobson
Thanks for the advice. I have the component cables hooked up on one tv in my house, but I've used up all of the component inputs on another tv that I may use to play with my Wii. I didn't really want to invest the money in a component splitter box of some sort and additional component cables. I may get the S-video cables instead. The tv will only be used occasionally. These may work perfectly. The composite cables look terrible.

Glad my post gave you some help!

On another note you can get a pretty simple component selector box from Gamestop for around $20-$24 that comes with a set of cables (to hook the box up to the TV). In fact I don't even need the component cables that came with the selector. If I can find them and you'd like them I am happy to mail them to you. I'll let ya know!
Old 12-14-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Even though I've had my Wii for a few weeks now, I've been kinda holding off from really playing it until I got component cables - well, they came yesterday! The difference is amazing. I can't wait to relly dive into Zelda now.

Also, is anyone else really excited for the Metal Slug collection coming out today?
I LOVE the series, and can't wait to get it - I guess it has all sort of crazy control options using the remote, but I think I'll just use my wavebird - which, BTW works great on Gunstar Heroes, wich was my first virtual console purchase.
Old 12-14-06, 10:13 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Is Metal Slug really coming out today? It's one of the titles that I wanted to play. Too bad I pre-ordered and it's still not shipping to me yet.
Old 12-14-06, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by mather
Is Metal Slug really coming out today?
Some stores should have it today, and most sotres by tomorrow.
Old 12-14-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nintendo S-VIDEO Cables

I still haven't seen these S-Video cables in any B&M. I'll try to run over to Target after work today to pick up Elebits. Maybe they'll have 'em...

One of these days I'll actually replace that Wega behemoth in my living room with something... more... well... HD. As long as I can find enough people to help me carry it out!
Old 12-14-06, 10:41 AM
Retired

The only place I've seen the React S-video cables is Best Buy. Haven't seen them in Circuit City or Target yet.
Old 12-14-06, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jdpatri
I still haven't seen these S-Video cables in any B&M. I'll try to run over to Target after work today to pick up Elebits. Maybe they'll have 'em...

One of these days I'll actually replace that Wega behemoth in my living room with something... more... well... HD. As long as I can find enough people to help me carry it out!

Hey, stick with Bestbuy, I don't think other stores are carrying these cables yet. I just checked the bestbuy website for ya and they DO have them in stock online and estimated delivery date is between 12/18 and 12/23 (if you ordered today).

It's not a bad deal for $19.99

Plus, Bestbuy carries those Wii base stand/organizers. They are kinda cool

Last edited by Sominex; 12-14-06 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-14-06, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, stick with Bestbuy, I don't think other stores are carrying these cables yet. I just checked the bestbuy website for ya and they DO have them in stock online and estimated delivery date is between 12/18 and 12/23 (if you ordered today).

It's not a bad deal for $19.99

Plus, Bestbuy carries those Wii base stand/organizers. They are kinda cool
Yeah, that's sound logic. I may just order them online. I've still got that $20 GC from Target from launch day that I need to spend. It all seemed like a good deal until I realized, I never shop at Target! At least I should be able to find Elebits.
Old 12-14-06, 03:32 PM
Mok

I just received my component cables, and all I can say is. What is up with the jaggies. I never noticed them with the composite cables. I guess I have to fiddle around with my tv settings.
Old 12-14-06, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mok
I just received my component cables, and all I can say is. What is up with the jaggies. I never noticed them with the composite cables. I guess I have to fiddle around with my tv settings.
You didn't notice them because with the composite cables everything is a blurry mess.
Old 12-14-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Mok
You did change the Wii setting, right?
Old 12-14-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tried asking earlier but we'll try again: When playing Gamecube games on the Wii, is there a way to go back to the Wii Menu? It seems like my Wii-mote doesn't respond when I'm playing GC games. I usually have to just reset my Wii.
Old 12-14-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There is no way to go back. When you put a gamecube game in, the wii becomes a gamecube. You have to turn it off and turn it back on.
Old 12-14-06, 05:20 PM
Mok

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
You did change the Wii setting, right?
Yes I did, I mean the screen and colors look a lot better. I just hate the jaggies there kind of distracting to my eye.
Old 12-14-06, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Should I return Trauma Center??

I ordered it with the Walmart bundle a few weeks ago. However, I did so under the assumption that "Second Opinion" meant it was a sequel. I already have the DS version, and love it. But is this remake different enough that I'll enjoy it as a fresh, new experience? In other words, you guys who have played both, will it feel like "been there, done that?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.