Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 11:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw
Ok, so I don't know anything about batteries, can someone tell me which ones I should buy. My wavebird batteries never ran out so I never bought a recharger. Which one should I get, and where do you get something like this? A store link would be very helpful . My Remote is still going strong, however I'm having people over this weekend over so it'd be nice to be prepared.
Get Energizer ones, rated I think 2500mah, they'll come out to that and up to 2800+ from my previous testing. Availabe at most retail stores.
Old 12-12-06, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
So yesterday was my birthday and last night the girlfriend & I met my parents, grandma and sister's family out for dinner. No one probably remembers from my earlier posts in the thread, but my folks had called me two weeks before launch and told me to cancel my preorder because they wanted to get me a Wii as a combination birthday/Christmas present. Well after the presents were opened last night, I had Zelda, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Call of Duty 3, and Trauma Center, but still no Wii. My mom was like 'Hmmmm, maybe you should bring some of your birthday presents with you when you come over for Christmas...' I think this may be part of some sort of experiment to see if I can be killed by anticipation.
Old 12-12-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
maxfisher:

How terribly mean of them. :P
Old 12-12-06, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
That is great. 13 more days max. 13 more days.
Old 12-12-06, 08:06 AM
tpc

Originally Posted by maxfisher
So yesterday was my birthday and last night the girlfriend & I met my parents, grandma and sister's family out for dinner. No one probably remembers from my earlier posts in the thread, but my folks had called me two weeks before launch and told me to cancel my preorder because they wanted to get me a Wii as a combination birthday/Christmas present. Well after the presents were opened last night, I had Zelda, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Call of Duty 3, and Trauma Center, but still no Wii. My mom was like 'Hmmmm, maybe you should bring some of your birthday presents with you when you come over for Christmas...' I think this may be part of some sort of experiment to see if I can be killed by anticipation.
THis reminds me of a time when I got grounded when I was younger. I think I was being punished for getting bad grades. I was smart, but lazy. Still am.... anyway, my parents decided to be extra cruel. They grounded me from all my fun stuff, but they knew I would sneak and play anyway... so they took away one critical part so that I could look at it, but not use it.

For example, with my NES... they left the NES, but hid the controllers. With my stereom they simply took the speakers. My television didn't have cable (This was late 80's, 1990 at the latest) so they simply took my antenna.

Cruel... but effective.
Old 12-12-06, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.cubed3.com/news/6445/1/Mii_Crossing_on_Wii

Nintendo Rumour | Mii Crossing on Wii?

Spin-off of Animal Crossing?

By Adam Riley (jesusraz)
11.12.2006 20:52

News from the latest issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly has leaked onto the Internet and revealed something very interesting about the future of Animal Crossing on Nintendo's Wii.

According to the magazine's rumour column, your own Mii creation from the Wii console will be your avatar in the next Animal Crossing. Any shirts and / or accessories collected can then be transferred over to other games.

Other than that, Zed Two's niche puzzle game Sticky Balls (the company was closed and the Pickford brothers have recently relaunched themselves as Zee-3) is rumoured to be returning on the Wii, PlayStation 3 and Xbox Live Arcade. The creators have previously stated on their new website that it would have been ideal on the DS, but was taken out of their hands. Whether this is still under their control is unsure at present, as is whether it will be on the Virtual Console or just the Wii itself.

Finally, here are some scores from the magazine:

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - 10 / 10 / 10 [ Game of the Month ]

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam - 7.5 / 8.0 / 7.0

Madden NFL 07 - 6.5 / 6.0 / 4.5

Red Steel - 5.0 / 4.5 / 6.0

Wii Sports - 6.5 / 5.5 / 7.0

Excite Truck - 7.0 / 7.5 / 6.5

Elebits - 7.0 / 4.0 / 4.5

Trauma Centre: Second Opinion - 6.5 / 7.5 / 7.0

Rayman Raving Rabbids - 7.0 / 7.5 / 7.5

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin (NDS) - 8.0 / 9.0 / 9.0

Kirby Squeak Squad (NDS) - 7.0 / 7.0 / 6.0

Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA) - 9.0 / 9.0 / 8.5

Keep it locked to Cubed³ for further updates...

I cannot wait for Animal Crossing.

Chris
Old 12-12-06, 11:42 AM

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=6182

New Zelda on the way for the Wii?
Phantom Hourglass suffers a delay too.

Luke Van Leuveren
11 Dec, 2006

We still may be playing through The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess but the 165th issue of Game Informer reports that a new Zelda title has been in development for a year. If true, this could mean we see Link return to the Wii sooner than we thought.

The second tidbit of news they've reported is that The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass has been delayed until October 2007. This would make sense; the game didn't have an overly impressive showing at E3 2006 and we've heard nothing about it since then.

Chris
Old 12-12-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

($14.99) For anyone still trying to find cables.............

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...385599-4345442
Old 12-12-06, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
http://www.cubed3.com/news/6445/1/Mii_Crossing_on_Wii

I cannot wait for Animal Crossing.

Chris
Wow, suprisingly low scores for Elebits. I wonder if they had a hands on of the retail version or if it was a nearly complete version? Seems like a very different opinion from IGN.
Old 12-12-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 498 Likes on 293 Posts
Bad scores for almost all games.
Old 12-12-06, 12:18 PM
Retired

EGM's policy is to only review final retail builds of games.
Old 12-12-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by aerobson
Wow, suprisingly low scores for Elebits. I wonder if they had a hands on of the retail version or if it was a nearly complete version? Seems like a very different opinion from IGN.

After defending IGN's review of Monkey Ball, I have to wonder if 'ole Cassamassina is off his rocker. I haven't played Elebits, but you have to wonder when his scores for these games are much higher than everyone else's.
Old 12-12-06, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm curious about the Madden scores. I have really enjoyed playing Madden, then again, I haven't played another version of it in probably 5 years, so, that may have something to do w/ that.

Last edited by shumway; 12-12-06 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-12-06, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,714 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Bad scores for almost all games.
Agreed. It's amusing that their scale considers a 5.0 game to be average, but it's obvious from reading their reviews they think anything lower than a 6.0 is complete shit. And I've been reading EGM off and on since issue #1.

I'm surprised Madden got such low scores - I've heard a lot of positives about that game.
Old 12-12-06, 12:38 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by shumway
I'm curious about the Madden scores. I have really enjoyed playing Madden, then again, I haven't played another version of it in probably 5 years, so, that may have something to do w/ that.
Keep in mind they also have a relatively new policy of docking points from sequels/rehashes that don't bring much new to the table.

I don't have my issue yet to provide any specifics on the reviews though.
Old 12-12-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm guessing they weren't overly impressed w/ either the new controls or, like you stated, docked points because it's just the same Madden.
Old 12-12-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
After defending IGN's review of Monkey Ball, I have to wonder if 'ole Cassamassina is off his rocker. I haven't played Elebits, but you have to wonder when his scores for these games are much higher than everyone else's.
I'm guessing that it is just going to be a love/hate type of game, with not much in between. Here's a very positive review of Elebits: http://www.gamebrink.com/nintendo-wi...s-reviews.html

Personally, it is a must-buy for me, even if there are a bunch of negative reviews. The game looks like it will be right up my alley. I'm not going to pay $50 for it, but then again, Zelda was the first game I've paid close to $50 for in probably five years.
Old 12-12-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aerobson
Read IGN's Elebits review and it is a nice example that graphics and presentation do not a game make. Excited for it all over again.
Old 12-12-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Elebits didn't score amazingly high in Japan either. Those are about the scores I would have expected, higher than I thought for Zelda, about right for Trauma Center and Rayman (when compared, across the board, with all other games.)
Old 12-12-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have only been reading EGM for about a year but it seems as if they don't like many Nintendo games.
Old 12-12-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EGM is just very mainstream. I do know that for a while my friend had a subscription (2004) and every time I picked one up there was "Gamecube is for kids!" on every dozen pages or so and every 2D game they've ever reviewed has been scored very low because of "SNES-like graphics" (which means they're also technically incompetent). It reads like a print version of G4 in my opinion.
Old 12-12-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Woohoo! Finally got an extra Wii remote. Was so close to going the Ebay route... of course I still need a nunchuck, but at least I can play most of Wii Sports with others now.
Old 12-12-06, 01:43 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
....and every 2D game they've ever reviewed has been scored very low because of "SNES-like graphics" (which means they're also technically incompetent).

From above:

All the castlevania GBA/DS games, the GBA metroids, New Super Mario Bros etc. have gotten high scores as well.

I don't always agree with them, but I don't see any bias against 2D games in general nor towards Nintendo specifically in their reviews.

The magazine definitely gets a little juvenile with it's humor and writing which is annoying, but I think the reviews are usually fair and unbiased and tend to match my personal scores more often than not.
Old 12-12-06, 01:50 PM
Banned

Dr. Phil plays the Wii
Old 12-12-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
From above:

Oops, I meant PS1/PS2 games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.