Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread 1.1 - Now Japan has them too.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 09:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Some interesting news from our own new Video Game Talk homepage:

Originally Posted by Jeff Paramchuk
For video gamers, it was the month that was - November 2006, the first time all three new home systems would be available to consumers, along with three established portable game devices.

It was a month that belonged to Nintendo.

According to independent sales data from the NPD Group, Nintendo sold 55 percent of all video game systems in November, led by the launch of the Wii™ home system and the incredible continuing success of the Nintendo DS™ portable.

In only the first seven days of availability after its Nov. 19 launch, Wii sold nearly half a million systems in the United States alone (as reported previously by Nintendo, total sales of Wii in the Americas reached 600,000 in its first eight days of availability).

While Wii sold through at a rate of more than 70,000 a day for the seven days represented in the data (substantially higher than any other game device), November’s two top sellers of any type were the Nintendo DS, at almost 920,000 units, and Game Boy® Advance, with nearly 642,000 portables sold. With Wii and Nintendo GameCube™ totals included, Nintendo sold through more than 2.1 million of the 3.9 million systems purchased for the month.

The data also reveals that the Wii title The Legend of Zelda®: Twilight Princess achieved sales of 412,000, representing 87 percent of all Wii purchasers, the highest industry rate of sale for any launch title since introduction of Super Mario® 64 with the Nintendo® 64 a decade ago.

In addition, despite the inclusion of Wii Sports software with every system sale, Wii buyers also purchased an average of two additional games, compared to approximately one game per system for the installed bases of either competing new home system.
I knew the system was selling well, but...damn!

P.S. The new homepage rocks. Check it out.
Old 12-11-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Little Elebits humor.
Old 12-11-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
Unless you can make some bank on selling it, I'd say hang on to it. Nothing beats the original experience, plus I don't think you're going to see Mario All Stars on the VC when they can sell the individual titles.
Thanks, yeah, I have that feeling too, God knows if it'll still work though (SNES that is), its up on a shelf in my cupboard.
I'm keeping a Wii in mind for next year, maybe next May (my birthday ) I'll sell the 'Cube then on Ebay or something.
Old 12-11-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
What are everyone's favorite Wii games right now? What games are you guys waiting to come out?

I keep coming back to Wii Sports, and playing a ton of Monster Truck 4X4 with friends.

I can't say I'm waiting on too many titles right now, but I will pick up Elebits the day that is released
Wii Sports, Zelda, and Super Monkey Ball are in heavy rotation on my Wii! I'm looking forward to Wii Play and Wario next month.
Old 12-11-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wii Sports and Zelda are easily my most played... with Excite Truck, Rayman, and Red Steel all getting about the same amount of attention. Which isnt bad by any means... im really just focusing on one at a time though. I made the mistake of picking up too many titles at launch.

I too am really looking forward to Wii Play and WarioWare next month... as im sure just about everyone is here.

-NiCK
Old 12-11-06, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/10/n...n-wiis-for-us/

Nintendo retracts promise of one million Wiis for US

Posted Dec 10th 2006 5:00AM by Conrad Quilty-Harper
Filed under: Gaming

Nintendo has retracted a statement made by Reggie Fils-Aime, who said yesterday that Nintendo would be shipping one million units to the United States by the end of the year. We tend not to pay particularly close attention to the estimates that the "big three" console manufacturers make about how many units they expect to ship. Particularly with the new generation of consoles, these targets have more often than not been missed when applied to the real world. But given Nintendo's relative successes this time around, this particular retraction could tell us one of two possible things about the situation that Nintendo currently finds itself in. Either they're having manufacturing issues (possible), or they're diverting units to the rabid masses over in Europe (we'd like to think this is equally likely). There is a third possible scenario: Reggie thought it would be fun to get the press to put a nice round figure of one million behind the Wii launch, which would bring us neatly back to the reason why we don't take these kind of announcements very seriously.

Chris
Old 12-11-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For multiplayer, Wii sports is taking the cake mostly thanks to bowling. After that Monkey Ball darts is the second most played game. Then probably Madden. When I'm alone Excite Truck is far and away my most played (which I'm suprised about) followed by Madden.
Old 12-11-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
I bet they are redirecting units to a short-changed Europe. Europe is still stinging from the Sony blow. What better way to one-up Sony than to be the good guy in the equation.
Old 12-11-06, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
This one has supposedly been confirmed to work with the Wii by some forum members over at HardOCP and the official Nintendo forums.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812203024
Anyone here actually tried this adapter and worked 100%?

Wario ware for the WII seems very unique here a video from gamespots Hands ON

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIvmKpLyEnE
Old 12-11-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

According to CheapyD of Cheapassgamer (lives in Japan, has the Japanese version which launced with the system) WarioWare has no multiplayer mode.

I was looking forward to picking it up as a party game, but since he mentioned it on his podcast I'm putting it on my "buy when it is under $20 list." Wii Play comes out the same day and has two player modes on all the games, so that will get my money.
Old 12-11-06, 01:03 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The commercials I've seen on tv for WarioWare make it look like a party game. They showed multiple people using the remote.
Old 12-11-06, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
According to CheapyD of Cheapassgamer (lives in Japan, has the Japanese version which launced with the system) WarioWare has no multiplayer mode.
Can't be true. Just can't be. The Gamecube version had a multiplayer mode. Sure, it was Hot Seat and not simultaneous, but it was there. I don't see why they'd regress on their party system. I hope he's wrong.
Old 12-11-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm reading that they have multiplayer modes in Wario Ware but you have to pass the controller for the next players turn. This is demented if it's true.
Old 12-11-06, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
IGN says that there is multiplayer, but it has to be unlocked.
Old 12-11-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I call shenanigans
Old 12-11-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
I'm reading that they have multiplayer modes in Wario Ware but you have to pass the controller for the next players turn. This is demented if it's true.
You're right. I heard it wrong. No simultaneous play which is still bogus if you ask me.
Old 12-11-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
It never looked like they were playing simultaneous in the videos released. I always remember someone doing a crazy motion while the other people watched and laughed.

However I'm not going to deny that it is very disappointing.
Old 12-11-06, 04:07 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow I just got the scare of my life. I came in my room and noticed my Wii was glowing blue and blinking like crazy. I thought it was broken, so I hurriedly turned on console to find out I had a new message. Is this what happens when you get a message ?
Old 12-11-06, 04:09 PM
tpc

Originally Posted by Mok
Wow I just got the scare of my life. I came in my room and noticed my Wii was glowing blue and blinking like crazy. I thought it was broken, so I hurriedly turned on console to find out I had a new message. Is this what happens when you get a message ?
Yep. it's mighty pretty when it shines blue.
Old 12-11-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Second, I see a lot of fuss being raised about people loosing their controllers and smashing TVs and whatnot. So I went ahead and paid the $25 for the 3 pack of controller gloves. Has anyone tried these? Do they really help you get a better grip? It seems cheaper than replacing a TV. Although we've been on the fence twice about upgrading our 36" standard def to a 56" high def. Hmmmm... Maybe I should have an "accident".
Turns out I didn't need an accident after all. Saturday we bought a 56" Samsung 1080p DLP.

Of course I finally found a second Wii Remote and Nunchuck and thought I was done, but now I get to start searching for component cables. Still, it's a nice problem to have.
Old 12-11-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, so I don't know anything about batteries, can someone tell me which ones I should buy. My wavebird batteries never ran out so I never bought a recharger. Which one should I get, and where do you get something like this? A store link would be very helpful . My Remote is still going strong, however I'm having people over this weekend over so it'd be nice to be prepared.
Old 12-11-06, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My component cables came in the mail today from Nintendo I hadn't even gotten around to getting the Wii out of the box as I was waiting for those to come. Now I can finally play... that is if I can find enough free video game time to pull myself away from Scarface. Wow.. am I loving that game.
Old 12-11-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So who's all picking up a game this week?

I have yet to decide between Super Swing Golf or Elebits.
Old 12-11-06, 11:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If Elebits gets strong enough reviess (i.e. it doesn't get boring after 30 minutes), I'll get it.
Old 12-11-06, 11:41 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Ok, so I don't know anything about batteries, can someone tell me which ones I should buy. My wavebird batteries never ran out so I never bought a recharger. Which one should I get, and where do you get something like this? A store link would be very helpful . My Remote is still going strong, however I'm having people over this weekend over so it'd be nice to be prepared.

Brand doesn't matter, you just want rechargable nihm batteries, and the higher the mah rating the longer they'll last before they need recharged. Most in stores are 2300-2700 mah these days.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.