Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Post-Launch PS3 Thread - No ebay talk.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Post-Launch PS3 Thread - No ebay talk.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is anyone else disappointed by the PS3's game cases? I'm not referring to the quality as I don't have any, but from looking at them in the game case they are very nondescript. Especially with the PS3 banner at the top being clear with clear lettering, the package looks like a generic case. The first time I was at Target I walked right past the game case because it looked like it was full of mock-up product.

Sorry if this has been already covered. I haven't been following the PS3 too closely.
Old 12-06-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
I got 3 way optical splitter off ebay for like $15 bucks. I cannot tell if there is any sound loss. I tested it but hear no loss.
It isn't analog, so there shouldn't be any loss.
Old 12-06-06, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
So, if I plug a HDMI into my TV, will it output sound as Dolby Digital (since I have a optical OUT input on my TV).

If not, I will have to get creative and get an optical splitter since I have an older receiver in this room. The TV is a HP LC2600N LCD
So, does anyone know the answer to my question? Debating on whether to get HDMI or component. Is there a closeup of the PS3's outputs?
Old 12-06-06, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought I was going blind when I told my friend that Resistance looks like Call of Duty 2 for 360. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that though. It's a fun game, but not mindblowingly sexy though like Gears
Old 12-06-06, 07:40 AM

I was trying hard yesterday to get into the game and enjoy resistance but it just aint doing it for me. One thing I did notice was the sensitivity of the 360 joystick to the ps3 joystick. When aiming on the 360 controller a tiny movement would move the aim cursor a tiny space on R6 vegas or GOW. On the PS3 controller a tiny movement would not move the cursor basically meaning when I wanted exact headshots it took a little more movement than needed compared to a 360 controller. Just a nitpick from me.
Old 12-06-06, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Fandango
That is the problem, if your TV does not display 720p the PS3 will not scale it so you end up with it being 480p.
But if the TV accepts 720p and upscales it the PS3 shouldn't know the difference.
Old 12-06-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I finally scored a PS3 online but have no interest in any of the games (I'm knee deep in all the AAA Xbox 360 titles now).
Any must have titles that are out now or in the near future?
I'll tide myself over replaying MGS3 and GT4 until then but I'm not seeing anything and Resistance sounds very similar to Perfect Dark Zero as a launch title.
Old 12-06-06, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doug, you sound like me...I basically SHOULD be getting one this week, but nothing really stands out for me. I was going to EBAY it, but i think I may just keep it.

I'm still wondering about my setup though and if it would work

HDMI from PS3 to TV. Then, OPTICAL FROM TV to Receiver.

Will I get Dolby Digital sound?
Old 12-06-06, 09:01 AM

That should work fine. The PS3 also has a optical output also in case your tv doesnt have one
Old 12-06-06, 09:02 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It really surprises me people paying full price for this console before wanting any of the games. Is it just for blu ray?

Anyway, does the controller use the same wireless technology as the 360? Why would the controller be less sensitive?
Old 12-06-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
It really surprises me people paying full price for this console before wanting any of the games. Is it just for blu ray?

Anyway, does the controller use the same wireless technology as the 360? Why would the controller be less sensitive?
Because the analog sticks are basically just potentiometers and there is a dead zone so that your character doesn't move when you're not moving the sticks. My suggestion would be to increase the sensitivity up a level or two and see if the dead area becomes a bit smaller. If not then they used crappy pots.
Old 12-06-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have close to $500 credit...so it would cost me a little over $100....

Also, does the PS3 use just regualr HDMI to HDMI. Nothing fancy or creative?

any GOOD place to buy one (HDMI cable) at B&M store? I know Buy.com has some decent deals with GCO, but I don't want to wait if I get it this week.
Old 12-06-06, 10:20 AM

Well I personally paid $30 after store credit for the 20 gig system. I raised the sensitivity all the way up but its not that. You would really need to compare the 360 and the ps3 controller to see what I am talking about. The slightest movement on the 360 would cause a very slight movement on the cursor in R6 or in GOW meaning you have total control over where you want to aim at. On Resistance the slightest movement would not do anything even on the highest settings where as being use to the 360 where one tiny nudge would move it a tiny bit on the screen. I am sure who ever has played these games can testify to this. The controller was dissected by IGN.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/748/748732p1.html

and they even state the tilt function was put in the controller just recently and who knows how rushed the controller is but seriously I have to charge it plugged into the PS3? WHY?

I am in no way bashing the system but Sony overhyped there machine with those crazy ads showing chess pieces getting slashed with blood leaking from the chess piece to I guess imply to power and ferocity of the machine and how powerful the sytem is when it has a long way to go to play catch up.

Last edited by BBEANLPHIE; 12-06-06 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-06-06, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Also, does the PS3 use just regualr HDMI to HDMI. Nothing fancy or creative?
Yes, but you'll need an HDMI cable...the PS3 doesn't include one.
Old 12-06-06, 12:34 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Lime
The first batch of PSOne games have been released for the US they are...

Crash Bandicoot - 469MB
Cool Boarders - 283MB
Hot Shots Golf 2 - 157MB
Syphon Filter - 385MB
Tekken 2 - 535MB

$5.99 each
Great pricing, but what happened to Resident Evil/Biohazard? I know that was in the first batch in Japan.

Also, I have a PSP but don't plan on getting a PS3 for awhile. If my buddy has a PS3 can I get the games off his system and transfer them to my Memory Stick/PSP?
Old 12-06-06, 02:32 PM

I doubt that would work. I personally haven't tried it but I am pretty sure Sony would want to make sure $6 games cant be copied over and over to different ps3 systems at no extra charge and possibly uploaded for others to DL and put on there own system that easily
Old 12-06-06, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think they said in the past you can transfer it up to 5 times on other systems.
Old 12-06-06, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else playing Genji?

So...ummm, anyone wanna be my friend on the playstation network? LiverAndOnions is the name.
Old 12-06-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep.
I'm a HiDef nut and already own the Tosh A1 and Xbox 360 HDDVD drive.
The only thing that kept me from Blu-Ray was the $1,000 price tag for the players.
I figure I'll get an affordable Blu-Ray player and a PS3 in one.
I was going to buy one anyway when MGS4 comes out.

I got a fair bundle (no crappy games to buy) so I'm happy.
Old 12-07-06, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a DVD/Bluray remote for the PS3? I was checking out my cousin's over the weekend and he was showing me clips of MI:3 in Bluray, and watching him navigate with the Six Axis reminded me how much I hated navigating movies on the PS2 with the Dual Shock
Old 12-07-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eatntae
Is there a DVD/Bluray remote for the PS3? I was checking out my cousin's over the weekend and he was showing me clips of MI:3 in Bluray, and watching him navigate with the Six Axis reminded me how much I hated navigating movies on the PS2 with the Dual Shock
Not yet. It's supposed to come out this month from what I've heard. Sadly because the system has no IR port, you HAVE to use the Bluetooth remote that Sony is selling.
Old 12-07-06, 01:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DRG
Great pricing, but what happened to Resident Evil/Biohazard? I know that was in the first batch in Japan.

Also, I have a PSP but don't plan on getting a PS3 for awhile. If my buddy has a PS3 can I get the games off his system and transfer them to my Memory Stick/PSP?
Yes, you can have your friend download it and give it to you. Your friend can pass that thing off 5 times no matter who he gives it to. Wether your the only one who gets it or you and your friend get it. Its a nice way of splitting the cost between up to 5 people and having all 5 of you enjoy it individually.

P.S. i though we would get Resident Evil also but I guess we arent gonna follow Japan in everything they get. But I bet it will be in the next batch
Old 12-07-06, 01:31 AM
Suspended

According to IGN: Lemmings 2, Go! Sodoku 2, and a demo of Genji: Days of the Blade will be put up in the store tommorow.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/749/749650p1.html

Three More for the Store
Sony's PlayStation download hub will add two games and a demo tomorrow.
by Jeremy Dunham
December 6, 2006 - Sony Computer Entertainment has confirmed with IGN today that it will unveil three more downloadable options for the PlayStation Store starting tomorrow. Lemmings 2, Go! Sodoku 2 and a playable demo of Genji: Days of the Blade will be available at an undisclosed time starting Thursday, December 7.

Featuring 40 brand new levels, added visual effects, and 1080p HD support, Lemmings 2 will retail for $5.99 and take up 270 megabytes of hard drive space. Go! Sodoku 2 will work with a more open price structure, as the initial level will be absolutely free with every level afterwards costing $2.99. There are four levels in all -- Easy, Mild, Difficult, and Fiendish. Combined, these four breakouts will make for 1000 different stages and the game will support up to four players as well. Its size is 86MB for the base file and 100k for each additional level.
Keep a look out for it!
Old 12-07-06, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Okay, I broke down and bought a PS3, this time for me. I hooked it up with composite cables (hey that's all I have for now, haha) but was wondering if I should go component. I don't have an HDTV, but I'll get a good picture with component, right? Really noticeable from composite or not that big a difference?

If I do go the componet route, I'd have to choose between the 360 and the PS3. Right now the 360 is hooked up via component and optical. Would it be worth it to switch the PS3 to component and the 360 to say S-Video (which I assume is better then composite) or leave the component with the 360 and have the PS3 go S-video?

Sorry if this is all confusing, it's late and I am tired
Old 12-07-06, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Okay, I broke down and bought a PS3, this time for me. I hooked it up with composite cables (hey that's all I have for now, haha) but was wondering if I should go component. I don't have an HDTV, but I'll get a good picture with component, right? Really noticeable from composite or not that big a difference?

If I do go the componet route, I'd have to choose between the 360 and the PS3. Right now the 360 is hooked up via component and optical. Would it be worth it to switch the PS3 to component and the 360 to say S-Video (which I assume is better then composite) or leave the component with the 360 and have the PS3 go S-video?

Sorry if this is all confusing, it's late and I am tired

I was in the same boat as far as lack of component inputs, which is a big reason why I skipped the 360 altogether. I know I've seen a lot of complaints about how the PS3 looks on SDTV through composite cable, but I haven't really checked into how the 360 looks. I think the PS3 might need the component cables more than the 360 does. Your best bet really is to find a cheap set for your PS3, maybe try to find something that is labelled for the PS2, it will work fine, and switch between it and the 360. If there isn't a big difference, return the PS3 component cable and get the s-video.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.