Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread Part 5 - The Days of Swine and Roses

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Has anyone in the sacramento area asked around at stores about their policys/amounts of the Wiis?
Old 11-15-06, 04:42 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
You realize that the system will probably be not too difficult to find on the launch day for the retail price?
How do you figure that? I think finding a Wii on launch day will be a difficult task indeed. Now, say within the next couple of weeks, they should be more plentiful. But they will remain a hot ticket item this holiday season, and I don't think they will collect a speck of dust on any store shelf this year.
Old 11-15-06, 04:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveNinja
Has anyone in the sacramento area asked around at stores about their policys/amounts of the Wiis?
The EB Games in the Roseville Galleria is getting about 150 Wii's, and only the first 36 are reserved.
Old 11-15-06, 04:44 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IIG
How do you figure that? I think finding a Wii on launch day will be a difficult task indeed. Now, say within the next couple of weeks, they should be more plentiful. But they will remain a hot ticket item this holiday season, and I don't think they will collect a speck of dust on any store shelf this year.
There's supposed to be 2 million or so in the US on Sunday. It won't be that hard to get one in stores Sunday morning for retail price. As long as people start their hunt at or shortly after opening for the first store it should be pretty easy to find.
Old 11-15-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IIG
I would bet its going to be the other way. Easy to get on launch day and harder to get as the weeks go by for Christmas.
Old 11-15-06, 04:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Agreed. Once momentum picks up on the Wii, they're going to be extremely tough to find. On launch day, the hardcores will pick them up, and maybe a few parents.
Old 11-15-06, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by IIG
I don't expect to have any problems finding them on the shelf on release day. I have a Best Buy, Target, Circuit City, Toys R Us, Walmart, GameStop, Sams and a full Mall all within 5 miles of my house. The demand is high but the supply is awfully good as well.
Old 11-15-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
There's supposed to be 2 million or so in the US on Sunday. It won't be that hard to get one in stores Sunday morning for retail price. As long as people start their hunt at or shortly after opening for the first store it should be pretty easy to find.
I thought the 2 million number was for the entire rest of the year in the U.S. I thought the launch day number for the U.S. is closer to 600-800K. But who can tell anymore?
Old 11-15-06, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 447 Likes on 314 Posts
My local independent video game store's owner (which shall remain nameless) told me that he'll sell me a Wii the second they come in on Friday! He never goes by "street-date" and always sells stuff when he gets it in, right out of the box - which for video games is just about the same as "street-date" anyways, except for a few instances, like this one.

He's doing first-come first serve, and he doesn't know what time he'll be getting them, just "in the afternoon", so who knows what my chances are...
Old 11-15-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I thought the 2 million number was for the entire rest of the year in the U.S. I thought the launch day number for the U.S. is closer to 600-800K. But who can tell anymore?
Isn't it supposed to be around 4 million until the end of the year, with 2 mil at launch?
Old 11-15-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
My local independent video game store's owner (which shall remain nameless) told me that he'll sell me a Wii the second they come in on Friday! He never goes by "street-date" and always sells stuff when he gets it in, right out of the box - which for video games is just about the same as "street-date" anyways, except for a few instances, like this one.

He's doing first-come first serve, and he doesn't know what time he'll be getting them, just "in the afternoon", so who knows what my chances are...
Great success!

There's an indie game store around here that I should probably check with. I didn't consider them as an option because I've spoken to the owner before, and apparently they tend to get screwed when it comes to Nintendo product. Worth a call though.
Old 11-15-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't it supposed to be around 4 million until the end of the year, with 2 mil at launch?
I thought I had read that the 2 million at launch was for the entire world. Half of that for North America, with the bulk for the U.S. I believe that's where the 600-800K numbers came from. As I said, there have been so many numbers thrown around lately that I could very well be mistaken.
Old 11-15-06, 05:09 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
You realize that the system will probably be not too difficult to find on the launch day for the retail price?
Well where I live, it will be. Not too many stores around and all of them won't get much more consoles than their pre-order numbers. I'm working on Sunday anyways so I won't be able to go around and try to find one.
Old 11-15-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

they tend to get screwed when it comes to Nintendo product. Worth a call though.
My guy told me that he expects anywhere from 2 to 20 Wii units. And just to compare, he's not getting a single PS3 this month.

As I said, there have been so many numbers thrown around lately that I could very well be mistaken.
Me too. It's all an enigma, wrapped in a riddle...
Old 11-15-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, that was quick. Ordered my component cables on the Nintendo site early this afternoon and I checked the status just now:

Unfortunately it looks like I won't be getting my Wii until at the earliest next week some time!
Old 11-15-06, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
The EB Games in the Roseville Galleria is getting about 150 Wii's, and only the first 36 are reserved.
Thanks! I'm not sure i'll be able to get out to Roseville, though, but its good to hear there are some out there.
Old 11-15-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flashburn
Wow, that was quick. Ordered my component cables on the Nintendo site early this afternoon and I checked the status just now:
What.. the.. hell? I ordered mine at about 9 AM (CST) and I'm still sitting on Preparing Order. Oh well.. if it's like that before I go to sleep I'll start to worry.
Old 11-15-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Right now I am holding The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess in my grubby paws (got it from EB)....BOOYAH!
Old 11-15-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just got another email from BestBuy.com about Z:TP. It went from being "backordered" (original release date 11/13) to "released on 11/19"

Hopefully, this means it'll ship on Monday.
Old 11-15-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I would bet its going to be the other way. Easy to get on launch day and harder to get as the weeks go by for Christmas.
I agree with you. The launch number is pretty big and only die hards (like all of us) and really dedicated parents hit the malls at 6.00 am on launch day. After a few days the positive word of mouth starts spreading and everyone on the fence starts buying them. By December 1st, the system is on half the Santa lists in North America and the parents starting hitting the stores hard. I think if you want one, show up on Sunday morning and you will have it, if you wait it may become much more difficult.
Old 11-15-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if this does happen at a few places, its good for the rest of us. People starting putting pictures on the net of broken street dates and it puts pressure on Nintendo to allow everyone to do it. Maybe we'll all get the Wii friday night or saturday morning. This is exactly what happened with the gamecube. I'm hoping people start breaking the date tomorrow.
Old 11-15-06, 08:03 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by shaggy
Well if this does happen at a few places, its good for the rest of us. People starting putting pictures on the net of broken street dates and it puts pressure on Nintendo to allow everyone to do it. Maybe we'll all get the Wii friday night or saturday morning. This is exactly what happened with the gamecube. I'm hoping people start breaking the date tomorrow.

I don't recall this happening with the GC. I picked up mine at Midnight on the launch date.

It did happen with the N64. I remember it was supposed to come out on Sunday, but mine was waiting for me when I got home from school on that Friday as so many stores had broke street date Nintendo gave the ok and Gamestop had called my mom to pick it up that afternoon.
Old 11-15-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't recall this happening with the GC. I picked up mine at Midnight on the launch date.
co-signed
Old 11-15-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qHvWII9KI8

Old 11-15-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I don't mean to sound insensitive but what happened to Al Roker? Last I saw him....well.....he was different.

Either way

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.