Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Wii Thread Part 5 - The Days of Swine and Roses

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread Part 5 - The Days of Swine and Roses

Old 11-15-06, 11:21 PM
tpc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was at my local gamestop tonight. they had several titles out and for sale... I can't recall them all, but they definitely had Madden, Red Steel, Trauma Center, COD3, Some airplane combat game, and a few others. No Zelda or Monkey Ball, which were the two I was most looking for. They had fake Wii Points cards up as placeholders for the display, and no real accessories other than the controller gloves that have been out for a while...

We're almost there, people.
Old 11-15-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't recall this happening with the GC. I picked up mine at Midnight on the launch date.

It did happen with the N64. I remember it was supposed to come out on Sunday, but mine was waiting for me when I got home from school on that Friday as so many stores had broke street date Nintendo gave the ok and Gamestop had called my mom to pick it up that afternoon.
I remember that as well. Nintendo 64 was my first pre order experience. With the gamecube a few stores in a certain chain sold it early. I think it was FYE or one of those mall stores. That lead to other stores in the area selling it early. I lived a block away from the my local EB at the time so I went it several times to try and convince the manager to sell it early but he wouldn't. The next day I called in the morning and he said he got the ok. I got it a day early but some people got it 2 or 3 days early.
Old 11-15-06, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tpc
I was at my local gamestop tonight. they had several titles out and for sale... I can't recall them all, but they definitely had Madden, Red Steel, Trauma Center, COD3, Some airplane combat game, and a few others. No Zelda or Monkey Ball, which were the two I was most looking for. They had fake Wii Points cards up as placeholders for the display, and no real accessories other than the controller gloves that have been out for a while...

We're almost there, people.
Yeah, I managed to find all 5 of the 3rd party launch games that I wanted at an EB this evening (Rayman, Madden, Red Steel, Super Monkey Ball, and Trauma Center). 72 hours to go!
Old 11-16-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
What.. the.. hell? I ordered mine at about 9 AM (CST) and I'm still sitting on Preparing Order. Oh well.. if it's like that before I go to sleep I'll start to worry.

I think I ordered mine right around the same time that you did and my order still says "Preparing Order", too. I just checked my account and I haven't even been charged yet. Hmmmmm......

If it's like this tomorrow when I get out of class I'll give them a call and see what's up.
Old 11-16-06, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
It appears as it's based on when your delivery would be. It seems they don't want the cables delivered before Friday. If you overnighted them or if you live in one-day range (Washington/Oregon), they'll ship tomorrow.
Old 11-16-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It did happen with the N64. I remember it was supposed to come out on Sunday, but mine was waiting for me when I got home from school on that Friday as so many stores had broke street date Nintendo gave the ok and Gamestop had called my mom to pick it up that afternoon.
KB broke the date, it was the one in my hometown.
Old 11-16-06, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like my cables will be here on Friday. Unfortunately I won't have a system for a week or two though.
Old 11-16-06, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
It appears as it's based on when your delivery would be. It seems they don't want the cables delivered before Friday. If you overnighted them or if you live in one-day range (Washington/Oregon), they'll ship tomorrow.
Boy, I hope so. I'm not going to dwell on it today though.. I'll just check the status when I get home and if it's still "preparing" I'll call and plead to have them shipped today. I'll need tp ick some cables up for my PS2 now as well.. but I think I saw them in-store last time I was at Fry's.

Going by "work hours" I've only got 12 hours to go!
Old 11-16-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by flashburn
Looks like my cables will be here on Friday. Unfortunately I won't have a system for a week or two though.
I'm in the exact opposite position. It's almost looking like I was too late to order yesterday, so I'll have the system Saturday night but will have to display it using composite on my projector
Old 11-16-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just placed my order for the cable. As long as I'm on the second shipment, I'm okay with that. I won't be getting a Wii until Christmas time.
Old 11-16-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to CAG, Amazon.com is going to be selling off the rest of their first shipment on the morning of the 19th.
Old 11-16-06, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I got an email from Amazon about that. They said for every Wii they will have for sale, they had 100 people sign up for the notification.
Old 11-16-06, 10:53 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was 1 million for launch? If it's 2 million, I can put my fears to rest a little bit. If it's only 1 million, I think you guys are way too confident on getting a system on day one.
Old 11-16-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 893 Likes on 631 Posts
I was thinking about that. The rumored numbers are around 30-50+ per store. That seems like a decent amount. Probably similar to what the GC launched with and those weren't hard to find. Granted the Wii has more hype going for it, I think it won't be a problem.
Old 11-16-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow... off subject from the "component cable" fiasco...

My friend worked at FuncoLand (Gamestop), and they were told they were getting 18 Wii's, so they took pre-orders for 18 Wii's.

They ended up getting 18 Wii's, so it might not be as accessible on release day as people think. So if you didn't pre-order one at that store, you won't be getting one.
Old 11-16-06, 11:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah, but most Gamestop owned stores are expecting replenishment shipments before Christmas.
Old 11-16-06, 11:12 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Yeah, but most Gamestop owned stores are expecting replenishment shipments before Christmas.
That's great but I want one on launch day, and I think the situation is more dire than it has been made out to be. I hope that my early launch day morning scouting (I'll be in a parking lot of Circuit City watching from my car) will prove fruitful. I hope to make it to one of the stores at around 4 am.
Old 11-16-06, 11:13 AM

I'm one of the unlucky masses that weren't able to capture a Wii pre-order but I do live in Southern California. What would you think would be the best way on getting one. Should I try hitting the stores around town, there are plenty, and hope to get one, or should I go to the Wii Los Angeles Launch Party? I'd think I'd get a better chance of getting one there. Plus President Reggie will be there.
Old 11-16-06, 11:48 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by IIG
I thought it was 1 million for launch? If it's 2 million, I can put my fears to rest a little bit. If it's only 1 million, I think you guys are way too confident on getting a system on day one.

It was originally 1 million, but that said "at least 1 million" and have since hinted that it may be upwards of 2 million. But truthfully we won't know the launch numbers until we look at first week sales figures.

That said, even with 1 million hitting the stores an hour or 2 before opening should be fine. There won't be 1 million preorders/campers/early morning folks trying to buy these due to having no real ebay value.

If one waits until a few hours after opening, then they will have a much harder time finding one. But I think those that get up, scout the stores, and get in line a hour before opening will be fine.
Old 11-16-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm going to a concert Saturday night and plan on picking up a Wii afterwards. I will be shocked if I can't find one. I've never had a problem with any system launch finding a system the day of the launch.
Old 11-16-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know the systems are only launching in white, but what about the controllers? Any word of different colors at launch?

Also, my component cables have shipped, and are expected to be here tomorrow! Again, thanks for the heads up on that.
Old 11-16-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
I'm going to a concert Saturday night and plan on picking up a Wii afterwards. I will be shocked if I can't find one. I've never had a problem with any system launch finding a system the day of the launch, except for the PS3 of course.
Fixed
Old 11-16-06, 12:47 PM

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/new...hp?story=11735

November 16, 2006

Miyamoto: Wii Originally Intended To Cost Under $100

In a new interview, Nintendo director Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed new details about the design of the company's Wii console, including his revelation that, in its original design, the company's next-gen console was intended to cost under $100.

"Originally, I wanted a machine that would cost $100," said Miyamoto in a new Business Week interview, "My idea was to spend nothing on the console technology so all the money could be spent on improving the interface and software. If we hadn't used NAND flash memory [to store data such as games and photos] and other pricey parts, we might have succeeded."

Miyamoto then spoke on the inspirations for the Wii's non-traditional design, something he said was a top priority for the new console as far back as 2001, as the GameCube was first being released.

"The consensus was that power isn't everything for a console," he added, on the original design meetings, "Too many powerful consoles can't coexist. It's like having only ferocious dinosaurs. They might fight and hasten their own extinction."

Instead, according to Wii designer Ken'ichiro Ashida, Miyamoto brought in a number of non-game controls and interfaces for the group to study, including "cell phones and car navigation remote controllers and tried them, too. We made one that resembled a cell phone. Another one had an analog stick on top and digital interface on bottom."

In the end, though, one of the biggest inspirations for the console, according to the interview, was Nintendo's own: the DS. With Ashida explaining that at one point the Wii was designed with touch-screen technology itself, Miyamoto added that the handheld "prepared the way for the Wii. The DS's unique interface had traction with nongamers. That made us think we had a shot at reaching a broader audience. But if the DS had flopped, we might have taken the Wii back to the drawing board."

POSTED: 06.27AM PST, 11/16/06 - Brandon Boyer

Chris
Old 11-16-06, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On that note, today is Mr. Miyamoto's birthday. Happy Birthday to him!
Old 11-16-06, 12:54 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by darthlurker
I know the systems are only launching in white, but what about the controllers? Any word of different colors at launch?
Only white for controllers as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.