World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

Old 08-15-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: World of Warcraft Official Thread - Round 3

This November.

Time flies. I went with Everquest II in November '04 instead of Wow. And enjoyed it for over a year until I tried WoW on a private server. I was absolutely blown away and immediately subscribed.
Old 08-16-14, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I randomly ran around with my Hunter the other day...having been probably a year since playing. Still a fun game. I'll get back in for Warlords. I need to do that pre-order too and bump another character up.
If you do the pre-order, do you get 2 bumps or just one?
Old 08-17-14, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So is this completely new that you can play with folks across different servers? Anyways always looking for people to hang out with in game. I'm on Argyos. Oddo and Ottomus.
Old 11-14-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did anyone come back for WoD? It's been a pretty pitiful launch so far. The servers have been HOSED. Sounds like someone from China is DDOSing them. From what I've played is ok. The strangest thing is their new big feature, Garrisons. It's basically you building a base in Draenor. It feels like a 3d interface to some Free 2 Play iOS game. Really odd.
Old 11-14-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Did anyone come back for WoD? It's been a pretty pitiful launch so far. The servers have been HOSED. Sounds like someone from China is DDOSing them. From what I've played is ok. The strangest thing is their new big feature, Garrisons. It's basically you building a base in Draenor. It feels like a 3d interface to some Free 2 Play iOS game. Really odd.
I haven't played it yet (never did get around to pre-ordering) but I will at some point. The Garrison thing sounded like a take on the gardens from the last expansion. How does it work? Are everyone's bases in the same place but instanced for your character?
Old 11-14-14, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I haven't played it yet (never did get around to pre-ordering) but I will at some point. The Garrison thing sounded like a take on the gardens from the last expansion. How does it work? Are everyone's bases in the same place but instanced for your character?
Yep, it's just instanced for you. It doesn't remind me at all of the garden at all. It really is like an iOS game. You send recruits on missions, and then you get a timer anywhere from 30 min to 10 hours for you to wait from them to come back. You don't actually do the mission, you just tell them too. And there is timers on building upgrades as well. I was totally expecting a "hurry up" button where you can pay real cash to finish the timers early. It has that kind of feel to it.
Old 11-14-14, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Yep, it's just instanced for you. It doesn't remind me at all of the garden at all. It really is like an iOS game. You send recruits on missions, and then you get a timer anywhere from 30 min to 10 hours for you to wait from them to come back. You don't actually do the mission, you just tell them too. And there is timers on building upgrades as well. I was totally expecting a "hurry up" button where you can pay real cash to finish the timers early. It has that kind of feel to it.
Huh. Interesting. I'll check it out soon enough!
Old 11-15-14, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually signed back up a couple days ago after not playing since Cata, and barely then even. So far I'm absolutely loving the expansion... when things are working. Their server issues are really frustrating. Last night on my lower population server (Uther) I had a queue that was about 1000 long, and took over two hours to get through. I checked other servers, and EVERY. SINGLE. SERVER. had a queue at that time. I checked a few and all of them had queues that were 5000+! That would be at least a 4-5 hours wait. Many people complaining about waiting many hours, logging in, and then getting disconnected, or getting some random error message and then needing to restart and go to the back of the line.

It really feels like they just don't give a fuck when it comes to the queues. If they do, I hope they give an explanation of why these queues are so massive. It feels like they are taking advantage of their customers at this point.

As for the Garrison stuff, it's basically a glorified Facebook game, but I absolutely love it. Seems like most people do as well. The presentation for it is very well done, and the ability to craft things outside of your own trade skills, collect materials and other stuff, is very cool. You also get some really awesome buffs, and the ability to select a follower to go fight with you. The entire idea of being able to log off of the game, and come back and have some sort of progress done for you is a great idea.

The quests and the new areas are fantastic as well. Lots of variety all around. Really my only issue right now is this server crap. Not to mention 6 hours of downtime yesterday, and another 6+ today. The only thing they say is "scheduled maintenance", nice Blizzard.
Old 11-15-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just read a Blizzard post about how they tested phasing the entire continent of Draenor, like they do with the starting area, and it went well, so they are pushing out that change to every server. It'd be nice if finding out this info wasn't a meta-game. So once this change goes live they expect the capacity to increase "significantly".
Old 11-17-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife and i resigned up for WoW. We're working on a couple of character still in the Pandarian early area (level 86) so we probably wont need or get WoD until xmas.

a week ago, while cleaning the garage, i found a sealed copy of WoW - Burning Crusade collectors edition. I figured it was probably not worth but but checked on ebay and found the sealed copies are going for $200+. crazy
Old 11-19-14, 01:22 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i have put about 4 hours or so in the new expansion and i am really enjoying it. I haven't done alot with the garrison stuff yet, but what i have done I have liked.

FOR THE HORDE!!

Also, I am an officer in a guild called the Knights of Blizz. It is a very casual community of folks that enjoy all of the Blizzard games. I am not saying we don't have any hardcore folks, we do but most of us have jobs, families, lives etc... and can't raid 6 hours per day. It is more of a community where we just hang out. we use the app Palringo alot and chit chat all day usually. check us out www.knightsofblizz.com

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5y3C7pB0ZBE?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

if that is against the rules let me know and I will delete.
Old 11-19-14, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I just hit 100, and am rather not excited to keep on going. This whole garrison thing is weird ... You want to upgrade your garrison as much as you can to get all the perks and stuff, but then you have these followers who you have to level up via missions. Well missions cost resources. upgrading your garrison costs resources. What they don't really tell you is that resources are a very scarce commodity.

There are treasures out there the have resources, and there are quests that reward resources. Once you've done the quests and gotten the treasures, your resource generation slow down to a trickle. So it turns into a waiting game ... you log in each day to collect the few resources that your garrison generates, until someday you finally have enough resources to build what you need. It makes turning 100 into something very anticlimactic. Meh

Oh, and now that I'm 100, I'm super annoyed about not being able to fly. The terrain in this game is just god-awful. It's like you can never get to your objective, because it's on some ridge, and you came at it from the wrong direction, so you've got to back track all the way around some stupid mountain to find the ramp they WANTED you to use. BUNK to that, I say!

Last edited by joeblow69; 11-19-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-19-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You are literally the only person I know that doesn't like the garrisons.

I'm pretty sure once I get to 100 I'll be done shortly after that too. I might try another character, but I'm not looking forward to doing the same quests over again.
Old 11-19-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
You are literally the only person I know that doesn't like the garrisons.
It's not that I don't like garrisons ... I like sending guys on missions ... I like doing work orders and upgrading buildings, finding the optimal buildings and followers and all that jazz. I Just really HATE how it's all gated around resources, which are too scarce and not really farmable.

And I am totally with you about those quests .... they are ok, but nothing that makes me want to level another char through them. They are really missing out by not having an optional zone this time around, like they did in pandaria.
Old 11-19-14, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never thought that I would see this game go back over 10 million subscribers, but sure enough...

http://blizzard.gamespress.com/WORLD...RLORDS-OF-DRAE

Blizzard Entertainment today announced that as of the first 24 hours of the expansion’s availability, more than 3.3 million copies had sold-through† and the game’s global subscriber base had passed 10 million, with growth across all major regions.
Old 11-19-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Almost guaranteed that after the next month they will be back under 10 million though.
Old 11-19-14, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

True, but I'd be surprised if the numbers drop anywhere close to what happened after Pandaria. It's pretty impressive for a 10 year old game.
Old 11-19-14, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Totally. I didn't play Pandaria except for about a levels worth a week ago, but it seems like this one is a lot better received than Pandaria was. Although I do still think this expansion is a bit light on content.
Old 12-17-14, 12:14 PM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am up to 92 in WoD. I can't really get into it for some reason. I am not a fan of the garrison stuff, it literally feels like i am playing a freemium builder game on my iPad. Very "clash of clans". I liked it at first but that fizzled out quick. However the main thing that keeps me from playing alot is that i can't fly. i don't have a crap load of game time and I don't want to spend it going on foot to quests.
Old 04-06-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, the WoW Token launches tomorrow.
The WoW Token will be going live in the Americas region (North America, Latin America, Australia, and New Zealand) on April 7 when maintenance concludes, at approximately 10 a.m. PDT. The WoW Token will be available for $20 USD/$25 AUD from the in-game Shop, and will be set at a starting price of 30,000 gold in the Auction House across the Americas region. From that point forward, the gold price will automatically fluctuate based on player supply and demand. To start we’ll be limiting the number of Token purchases to 10 within a 30-day period, but this limit may be adjusted over time. While Tokens will be available immediately from the Shop, please note that there may be a delay before Tokens put up for sale on the Auction House become available for purchase with gold.
So basically, starting tomorrow, instead of paying $15 a month to play wow, you can buy a WoW token from the auction house, prices starting at 30k gold. You don't even need a current subscription to buy one. If you have enough gold in your account, the WoW Launcher will allow you to buy and activate a token.

I haven't played in 2 months, and have more than enough to buy a token, but I'm going to try to withstain. Would really like to not get hooked again!
Old 06-23-15, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I've been playing this the past few months, paying with the WoW token, so it's free for me. But patch 6.2 today.. UGH

Yo Dawg, I know you love hanging out in your garrison, so we put a garrison IN your garrison, so you can garrison while you garrison!

No thanks, I can't even with this patch
Old 06-24-15, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought a couple of tokens with gold but never activated them. I just couldn't get back into it. So many changes.
Old 05-18-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ha! it's funny seeing my post 2 posts up, knowing I'm still playing today Mostly just 20 mins a day cycling through my garrisons collecting mad gold. It's now my morning ritual while drinking coffee. I've got 3 months paid via gold, and 10 more months worth of tokens saved up.

Legion Beta is going out though, so I'm hoping this expansion will be more fun than the last.

And oh yeah, if you pre-order on Amazon PRIME, you get 20% off ( collector's edition too) and they deliver it same day as release. http://smile.amazon.com/World-Warcra...eywords=legion
Old 05-18-16, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just don't have any interest in this anymore.
Old 05-18-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, it's getting to be a hard sell at this point. My entire guild has been decimated, so it's pretty lonely when I log in. It's more out of habit than anything.

Also, WoD is now included with the base game.

Last edited by joeblow69; 05-18-16 at 01:45 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.