Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread pt. 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
The only reason that they are releasing a GC version of Zelda is because it's been in the works for the system for a very long time, and they promised that even thought it would be on the Wii as well, they would still live up to their word and release it on the GC.

I'd be willing to bet that you wont see the same with any future major titles, unless they're multi-platform to begin with, and even then I don't see many releasing titles for the GC for much longer. Zelda is just a special case right now.
I was referring to way back when Zelda was supposed to have two versions on the same disc. It would be a crutch for many not wanting to give the Wiimote a chance.
Old 10-02-06, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?...y&storyid=2462

DallasNews reports that GameStop will be the only retailer with playable Wii demo kiosks this holiday. The company revealed the news on Saturday during its annual sales conference in Dallas.

GameStop also said it has not determined if it will offer pre-orders for the Wii. The sparse supply during the launch of the Microsoft Xbox 360 last year has made GameStop reluctant. "We did learn a lesson last year," said Steve Morgan, president of GameStop. "I think the lesson is caution and optimism at the same time."
Old 10-02-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,075 Posts
I wonder why pre-ordering is such a cluster?

Gamestop takes pre-orders from this date to this date, posting clear signage in their store.

They stop taking pre-orders on the last date and send the quantity to Nintendo. Nintendo delivers at least that many systems to that particular Gamestop. The systems are set aside and pre-orders are filled.

The other way to do it is if Nintendo tells Gamestop they can have XX amount of consoles per location. Gamestop takes pre-orders and stops when they've reached the number. The systems are delivered and the pre-orders are filled.

What is so complicated about this?
Old 10-02-06, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
I wonder why pre-ordering is such a cluster?

Gamestop takes pre-orders from this date to this date, posting clear signage in their store.

They stop taking pre-orders on the last date and send the quantity to Nintendo. Nintendo delivers at least that many systems to that particular Gamestop. The systems are set aside and pre-orders are filled.

The other way to do it is if Nintendo tells Gamestop they can have XX amount of consoles per location. Gamestop takes pre-orders and stops when they've reached the number. The systems are delivered and the pre-orders are filled.

What is so complicated about this?
Well not all preorders are fulfilled by the customer. Gamestop wouldn't want to hold onto those last few Wiis for days if someone never comes in to pick it up, so they usually take more preorders than they should.

Still, I agree with what you're saying. It shouldn't be that big a deal.
Old 10-02-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
I think the complication is Gamestop wants to start taking preorders now so they can start collecting interest on the money they take from the customer as soon as possible. Later Nintendo tells them "Hey you're asking for 400 preorders, but you're getting 50 systems. Might want to call those other 350 people and let them know." Gamestop just figures they will hold onto the money and collect the interest, and then just deal with the flack from the people then. If they want their money back so what, they already made money on the interest.

Disclaimer: I have absolutely NO idea how the preorder system works, but I imagine that would be normal corporate idiot policy.
Old 10-02-06, 07:14 PM
Retired

The issue is they had tons of irrate customers last year who preorder 360s as they ended up not being able to fulfill all their preorders before x-mas.

Thus they are being more cautious this time, and I believe waiting to find out how many they are getting before taking preorders.

Rumor had it that they would find out at their big vendor conference that began last weekend and ends on wednesday.

From other boards, it seems some stores are telling people that the preorders will be on Oct 9 (next monday) and for one day only. But take that with a grain of salt as it is just people posting what their local store lackeys told them.
Old 10-03-06, 01:22 PM

Mii!

I still can't get it to look like myself.
Old 10-03-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Cool but how do you export/save it? I think I have mine looking pretty good.
Old 10-03-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alt-PrtScrn
photoshop.exe
Ctrl-V

You know, the classy way.
Old 10-03-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 10-03-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bow before him:

Old 10-03-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 10-03-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Mii-amize me!

Old 10-03-06, 06:31 PM

Mii-tard.
Old 10-04-06, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Virtual Console Games are region specific

Wii upholds Cube region lock(News)

by Tom Bramwell Tom Bramwell

Nintendo UK has confirmed to Eurogamer that the Wii's region locking will extend to GameCube games.

A company spokesperson also said that Virtual Console game releases would not be universal - in other words, European gamers will get European versions of the games.

The news paints a slightly clearer picture of the circumstances surrounding Wii's backwards compatibility in the run-up to the console's 8th December launch.

The console is known to be compatible with all GameCube software, and peripherals including controllers and memory cards, while Virtual Console will deliver titles from systems including NES, Super NES, Nintendo 64, Megadrive and TurboGrafx at the rate of around 10 per month.
Advertisement

In answering our queries, culled from some of your recent forum threads, Nintendo also said that it expects to release RGB and component video cables that fit current pricing models.

It declined to comment on recent reports, supposedly surfacing in Nintendo Power, that Virtual Console will also host Commodore 64 games in future.

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 10-04-06 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-04-06, 01:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wonder if this means we'll get the same awful translations on some of these games.
Old 10-04-06, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Over at GAF someone is saying that you can play Metal Slug a number of different ways:

Retro controller
GC controller
Wiimote + nunchuk left hand
Wiimote + nunchuk right hand
Wiimote only horizontal left handed
Wiimote only horizontal right handed

To my absolute and utter surprise and amazement, the SNK booth had two kiosks with fully playable near-final builds of Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii. It completely rocks. I checked out the options and there are like 6 or 7 different control schemes. You can play with the nunchuck attached using the analog stick (lefty or righty), in this mode you "throw" the Wiimote forward to throw grenades, which is kinda cool because you can hold down the fire button (B) while you chuck so you don't lose your stream of bullets for longer than you have to, it only takes a very slight movement). You can hold the controller sideways, NES style... but in this mode I couldn't figure out how to throw grenades. There are also control scheme options for VC controller and GameCube controller as well. Very cool! I had to check out Metal Slug 6 since it was only released in Japanese arcades, it's freaking great. It looks better than any previous version graphically. Less pixellated. It has a zoom-in/zoom-out effect sometimes too... like in Alien Hominid, which was not in any previous incarnation of Metal Slug, to my knowledge. The backgrounds were gorgeously animated and there was a new 'Laser' weapon which shoots a constant straight beam and extremely powerful. (Cool note: the first time I tried to load up Metal Slug 6 it froze up so the guy had to open up the black box that contained the Wii... turns out it was the test kit Wii with the green faceplate on the front. I got to see the disk eject and go back in too... very very smooth, smoother even than my car CD player.)
Old 10-04-06, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Over at GAF someone is saying that you can play the Metal Slug Anthology a number of different ways:

Retro controller
GC controller
Wiimote + nunchuk left hand
Wiimote + nunchuk right hand
Wiimote only horizontal left handed
Wiimote only horizontal right handed

To my absolute and utter surprise and amazement, the SNK booth had two kiosks with fully playable near-final builds of Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii. It completely rocks. I checked out the options and there are like 6 or 7 different control schemes. You can play with the nunchuck attached using the analog stick (lefty or righty), in this mode you "throw" the Wiimote forward to throw grenades, which is kinda cool because you can hold down the fire button (B) while you chuck so you don't lose your stream of bullets for longer than you have to, it only takes a very slight movement). You can hold the controller sideways, NES style... but in this mode I couldn't figure out how to throw grenades. There are also control scheme options for VC controller and GameCube controller as well. Very cool! I had to check out Metal Slug 6 since it was only released in Japanese arcades, it's freaking great. It looks better than any previous version graphically. Less pixellated. It has a zoom-in/zoom-out effect sometimes too... like in Alien Hominid, which was not in any previous incarnation of Metal Slug, to my knowledge. The backgrounds were gorgeously animated and there was a new 'Laser' weapon which shoots a constant straight beam and extremely powerful. (Cool note: the first time I tried to load up Metal Slug 6 it froze up so the guy had to open up the black box that contained the Wii... turns out it was the test kit Wii with the green faceplate on the front. I got to see the disk eject and go back in too... very very smooth, smoother even than my car CD player.)
Old 10-04-06, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesn't sound as if European gamers will get games that have never been released there if the Virtual Console is region locked too What a massive blow
Old 10-04-06, 01:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Yeah, I despise region coding, so I'm definitely not getting one now. I'll play what I want, not what some worthless executive deigns to throw my way. Fuck them.

Is the PS3 going to be region free after all?

Worst.Excuse.Ever to not get a Wii

Old 10-04-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Yeah, I despise region coding, so I'm definitely not getting one now. I'll play what I want, not what some worthless executive deigns to throw my way. Fuck them.
Sorry, for someone who has spewed with religious fervor how you refuse to pay more than $15-$20 for a game, I'm finding it mighty difficult beveling paying $60-$70 for imports is high on your priority list. Since you've also made it clear to the forum that you're Webster's definition of the "casual gamer," again, I find it suspect that the kind of games that aren't release here are even on your radar (and that's if you even know Japanese).
Old 10-04-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still interested in Wii, it just makes the VC look less appealling is all.
Old 10-04-06, 02:31 PM
Retired

It does suck some, but no big deal. The VC game pricing had already turned me off of it a good deal and turned it to just buy a few favorites rather than impulse buy games I've never played.
Old 10-04-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grim_tales
I'm still interested in Wii, it just makes the VC look less appealling is all.
Well, you're from Europe.. so being region-free actually means a little something there with how long it sometimes takes for games to get there (IF they get there). For Americans, region-free is only good for crazies like myself who want to play games like Twinkle Fairy Princess that would never, ever come out in English.

Also, just because VC is region-coded doesn't mean you'll only be seeing games that were originally released there. I'd imagine that for stuff that was US only before it'd just be a matter of who owns the publishing rights to it in Europe allowing it to be on the VC system.
Old 10-04-06, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is just one of those things that slightly lets me down, but it's not something I'm going to get pissed about and cause me to not buy a Wii at all. Heck, I went into this assuming this is how it would be, and if they decided to not do it then that would have just been an extra to make it even better for me. I wish they wouldn't do this, but meh, no big deal in the end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.