Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread pt. 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, it isn't a deal-breaker, but I had hoped Nintendo's recent handheld trend kept up for the Wii. Anything that breaks down publishing barriers I'm all for. I'd love to be able to import things I know I'd enjoy but never see here. A great game is a great game, even if I have to print out a script to follow along.
Old 10-04-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There'll be a way to play imports..

It cost less than $1 to enable to Cube to play imports. $80 for the PS2.
Old 10-04-06, 03:09 PM
Retired

His point was if you want to maximize consumer utility, you aren't going to import games even if the PS3 is region free as import games tend to run $60-70 and will probably be even more with the PS3 since the games are $60 domestically to begin with.

So you're not going to be limited by the company, but rather by your own efforts to maximize consumer utility. Thus being region free should be a moot point for you.
Old 10-04-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts
Since I've never been personally affected by region-locking since I started gaming with my Atari, this bothers me not at all.
Old 10-04-06, 03:21 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Aren't we talking about the Virtual Console? All the higher costs associated with importing a game disappear when the distribution method is internet download. It should be no more expensive to download a Japanese game than an American version.

And I am frequently willing to pay a premium to enjoy culture from other regions.

We were, until you said this.

Is the PS3 going to be region free after all?
Which is why Pixy said he couldn't see you paying $60-70 to import PS3 games even if it is region free.

You're principle of maximizing economic utility doesn't make much sense in that context (nor in the context of thinking the Wii is too expensive but the $500-600 PS3 is not).
Old 10-04-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And as evidenced by Sony's unqualified success in the last two generations, a business model built on value and affordability can be extremely profitable for corporations as well.
You're failing to understand (remarkably, I might add) that the PS2 was $300 when it came out. You can't compare a six year old system with a library of six year old budgeted games to the new stuff. It's ridiculous and facetious in it's purest form.

Also, region coding is a very big deal for me. I enjoy sampling culture from all over the world, and very strongly resent being limited in what I can read, watch, listen or play by a simpleton executive trying to reap monopolistic profits.
Fight the power! *raises black fist*

Josh is right, PS3 games in Japan are going to be about $80. Ouch.
Old 10-04-06, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But again, I have a weakness for Japanese culture, so I would be willing to pay more for some quirky Japanese games than a regular US release. Besides, that is my choice to make.
Historically, all Nintendo systems have been fairly easy to get around region coding. This might change with the Wii since it's using standard DVD media, as they'll probably have to take into consideration piracy. But let's just say we've got the same options as the Cube, either a less than $1 switch you can install with a little soldering or a $20 boot disc. Certainly if you have no issue paying $80 for a PS3 import, dropping $20 to open the doors on the Wii whose imports will still be $60 doesn't seem like it should be an issue (unless you're just trying to find things to complain about).
Old 10-04-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a bit of input here. Nintendo is rather apathetic about region coding. They comply with the idea for the sake of publishers as its important to their business forecasts from what I understand.

Nintendo will likely make it very easy to overcome the region coding. In that way the benefits of region coding are derived while proving to be a minor annoyance to gamers that want to import.
Old 10-04-06, 04:09 PM

I shouldn't have to do any of those things. All forms of media should be playable everywhere period.
I wish this was the case, but atlas product planning is dependent on knowing market sizes and controlling prices pending region. Some day, but not today...
Old 10-04-06, 11:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
In defense of Vandelay, a $1 region code defeat will not help for VC games, unless someone finds a way to access the VC of other countries.

However, I don't really understand what the rest of Vandelay's argument is about. Nintendo isn't on the side of value because Super Smash Bros. is still $30? You can get the Gamecube for $100 or $60 used. So a Gamecube with Super Smash Bros. is STILL cheaper than a new PS2 slim ($130 by itself) with a greatest hits PS2 game.

And I think it should be clear that the company seeking to be affordable and a good value this generation is clearly Nintendo and NOT Sony. I mean, hell, even if you turn the other cheek on the $600 system pricetag, how can you look at stuff like Gran Turismo HD and say that's a company with a business model of good value? To me that's far more disturbing than the region coding issue.
Old 10-05-06, 12:54 AM
Retired

1. The GC is only 5 years old this november--not 6. It came out in Nov. 2001.

2. The Wii is more powerful than it graphically, nearly twice as much. It's not the 360 or PS3--not even close. But it isn't just the GC with a new controller either. i.e. Mario Galaxy looks MUCH better than Mario Sunshine when you see it in motion.
Old 10-05-06, 12:58 AM
Banned by request

Anyway, I'm not the one who brought up pricing. Regional coding is despicable. End of tale.
So I take it you don't buy DVDs from any major studio then, right?
Old 10-05-06, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Clearly they are heading in another direction with the PS3, but the quality*quantity/price ratio of their current generation is unbeatable.

And I question how a 6 year-old console with a new controller for $250, or 12-year old downloadable games for $8 can be regarded as "good value". Hell, that's almost what I just paid for my brand-new physical copies of Beyond Good and Evil and Killer 7.
Quality*quantity/price? What does that mean? I have no idea what you're saying.

I'm not aware of a 6-year old console with a new controller coming out. Please elighten me.

BTW: Super Mario World > BG&E and Killer7
Old 10-05-06, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And I question how a 6 year-old console with a new controller for $250, or 12-year old downloadable games for $8 can be regarded as "good value".
Saying silly things like that aren't helping to make your point at all, and if anything is just hurting you, not to mention that it's a borderline threadcrap.
Old 10-05-06, 02:16 AM

That information is old, we've known that for a long time.
Old 10-05-06, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Well, you're from Europe.. so being region-free actually means a little something there with how long it sometimes takes for games to get there (IF they get there). For Americans, region-free is only good for crazies like myself who want to play games like Twinkle Fairy Princess that would never, ever come out in English.

Also, just because VC is region-coded doesn't mean you'll only be seeing games that were originally released there. I'd imagine that for stuff that was US only before it'd just be a matter of who owns the publishing rights to it in Europe allowing it to be on the VC system.
Thanks
Maybe I'm reading too much into it - after all the article doesnt actually say "only games that were originally released in Europe" just "European versions" so maybe they could optimise US/Japanese stuff for Europe, I dont know
Old 10-05-06, 03:41 AM
Banned by request

I like Nintendo as much as the next guy, but let's face the facts here.
Kind of like saying that the new PC you bought with twice the power of your old PC is "still just a PC."
Old 10-05-06, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorraffy
Mii-amize me!

Wow this looks exactly like a guy I went to high school with. Where are you from Soraffy?
Old 10-05-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
lol believe me that's not me, i was unable to recreate myself so i just went random and that's what came out
Old 10-06-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 145 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but:
Square Enix games will be available on the Virtual Console
Old 10-07-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/07/w...p-and-endcaps/

Old 10-07-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a lotta wii!
Old 10-07-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Ahh, the wiimote glove mystery revealed. A rubber grip might be nice. It is cool that you get three to a pack.
Old 10-08-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dog tags and lapel pins?

Better reserve those as I'm sure they will go fast.
Old 10-08-06, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Gromit
Dog tags and lapel pins?

Better reserve those as I'm sure they will go fast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.