Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread pt. 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As for the nerve of the company to make a profit, they obviously can make a profit on $212, since that option exists in another region.

I see no value in a $40 game(that I have a mild to no interest in) that needs another $60 purchase to enjoy properly. Nintendo has proven they can sell the system only for close to $200, so it isn't about being cheap.
How do you know they can make a profit at $212? Do you know the costs involved? You can't necessarily compare Japan/US dollars straight up. It doesn't work that way. How has N proven they could sell this system for $200 and make a profit?

It does suck to have to pay another $40 (or whatever) for a game that I don't want.

The more I think about the Wii the more I question if I want one. It's not the price though. I may just wait and hear what people have to say or until I get a chance to play one first. I'm just not sold on the controller yet. Why are the buttons spread out so much? It seems like it might be fun some of the time, but not all the time. I hope its not just gimmicky. I was listening to the IGN podcast and they said their arms were getting tired. Then again, they are the same people who were posting rumors the system would be anywhere from $170-$199 and on this podcast were saying, "oh yeah I knew it would be $250"

Is the nunchuk/wii-mote/sensor required to play games? Can you turn the sensor function off? Or will you be able to use the retro controller as well?

I'm more stoked about the VC than anything. Being a Sega loyalist up until the DC's death there are many Nintendo games I'd like to go back and play w/o having to buy the old systems.

The two launch games I was looking forward to are Mario Galaxy and Sonic WildFire. But those aren't coming out until 2007 so I may just wait.

Last edited by Lee Harvey Oswald; 09-15-06 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-15-06, 09:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The more I talked to customers at work about the Wii today, the more excited I got about it. Bring Mii the Wii!
Old 09-15-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know if this has been discussed yet (a search turned up nothing), but in all this Wii confusion and hype, the biggest disappointment (at least to me) seems to be going mostly unnoticed.

According to IGN, Link is now a righty in Twilight Princess!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732877p1.html

All I have to say is, "for shame Nintendo!" What's next, Samus becomes a man?

Now, I am sure some people don't care, and it certainly won't ruin my enjoyment of the game, but it is really sad to see such an identifying characteristic be dropped for the sake of the game going to the Wii.

Goodbye left-handed Link, we knew you well.
Old 09-15-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No offense but that second to last statement is utter bullshit and you know it. It's not about being cheap. It is about being logical. it is about charging us an extra $40 for a game we don't want (at least without the proper equipment to do so) when we could use that money for a game or accessory we do want. If Japan wasn't doing $212 w/o a pack in there would be nary a complaint to be seen. As for the nerve of the company to make a profit, they obviously can make a profit on $212, since that option exists in another region. As a long time fan and consumer of all things Nintendo, I have a right to speak my mind.

I see no value in a $40 game(that I have a mild to no interest in) that needs another $60 purchase to enjoy properly. Nintendo has proven they can sell the system only for close to $200, so it isn't about being cheap. it is those like you out there that just accept everything that is given to them.

If all the sheep people hadn't snatched up those $60 LE games last gen feeding MS, I bet their games would still be $50 this gen. As a consumer I don't have to blindly accept what is offered. I can speak my mind(even if no one important is listening), and more importantly I can speak with my wallet. Just because it is 2006 doesn't mean consoles have to be X% more expensive. That is just a passing thought with zero rationale behind it whatsoever.
i didnt say u couldnt speak your mind. systems cost more a lot of times in Europe without an extra game , do you complain for your European gamers? no. Im sure there are hundreds/thousands of products that cost more here than other continents. Sony's charging $600, MSFT $400--youre getting a nice next-gen system for friggin $249--who cares what japan pays-- stop being a cheapass. im sure nintendo isnt making an exorbitant profit off this $249 system.

Last edited by DVDKrayzie; 09-15-06 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-15-06, 10:26 PM
Retired

I don't even remember him being left handed. So no biggie for me.

That brings up another though. Do the have a version of the nunchuck for lefthanded people? I imagine it would be tough for them to get used to using the analog stick with their right hand in somethign like Mario Galaxy.
Old 09-15-06, 10:33 PM
Banned by request

Why would they need to make a left-handed nunchuck? Won't it work just as well in the left hand?
Old 09-15-06, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I don't even remember him being left handed. So no biggie for me.

That brings up another though. Do the have a version of the nunchuck for lefthanded people? I imagine it would be tough for them to get used to using the analog stick with their right hand in somethign like Mario Galaxy.
I played Galaxy at E3 and the lady directing me with what to do actually stuck the nunchuck in my right hand and the Wiimote in my left. It was surprisingly comfortable, despite my thoughts about how ignorant the girl was, but either way I think it'll work both ways. For lefties and righties.
Old 09-15-06, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Why would they need to make a left-handed nunchuck? Won't it work just as well in the left hand?
Both pieces seem awfully symmetric to me. I don't know how a lefty will feel playing a righty Link. It may seem off, which is why they went this way, for the percentages. Don't know why it would be unfeasible to have that be an option in-game. It isn't like they haven't had plenty of time to work out all these details. Oh, and I refuse to believe the Wii-enabled swordplay is as last minute as they claim...
Old 09-15-06, 10:57 PM
Banned by request

If Link is a righty and we all have the Wiimote in our left hands, wouldn't that be the weird-looking part?

I'm so confused!
Old 09-15-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd think so. I only quoted you to agree that a left-handed nunchuck seems redundant because the pieces are symmetrical.

I then changed gears to the right vs left-handed Link. I know I'd feel weird as a righty playing a lefty character in this manner. Hopefully it won't matter too much for you southpaws. Then again, maybe there'll be special version at Ned Flanders' store.
Old 09-15-06, 11:22 PM
Retired

My bad, I didn't know the nunchuck was symmetrical. I thought it was curved/form fitted sort of like the GC controller, and thus would be designed for a left hand.
Old 09-15-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't know, it may be contoured like that. I guess we'll find out.
Old 09-15-06, 11:40 PM
Banned by request

http://wii.nintendo.com/controllers.html

The picture at the top of this thread clearly shows someone using the nunchuk in their left hand.

The picture of the nunchuk further down on the page shows the underside to be contoured, but not the side.

Furthermore, the text for the nunchuk states:
"Because the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers are only relatively dependent on each other, players are free to hold them in whichever hand is most comfortable. The ambidextrous nature of the Wii controllers grants accessibility seldom seen in game controllers."

In short, I think they're going to be ambidextrous.
Old 09-16-06, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by pinata242
Both pieces seem awfully symmetric to me. I don't know how a lefty will feel playing a righty Link. It may seem off, which is why they went this way, for the percentages. Don't know why it would be unfeasible to have that be an option in-game. It isn't like they haven't had plenty of time to work out all these details. Oh, and I refuse to believe the Wii-enabled swordplay is as last minute as they claim...
I always thought the swing of the remote is more like a shake recognition, so it's not as if Link's swing imitates your movements exactly. I thought it would just register as "swing" and Link would swing. Am I wrong?
Old 09-16-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.gamespot.com/events/wiila...pslot;action;3

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii-mote Hands-On
We tried the latest build of the enormously anticipated Zelda sequel now that its controls have been revised further for the Wii remote.
By Brad Shoemaker, GameSpot
Posted Sep 14, 2006 1:04 pm PT

NEW YORK--We'll admit it: We weren't too stoked initially when we heard that Twilight Princess, the long-awaited Zelda sequel, would be receiving a control overhaul to make it take greater advantage of the motion-sensing Wii controller. Swing the remote to swing your sword? Well, that just sounded like work. Sometimes you just want to mash on a button, right?

It turns out that the new controls aren't so bad after all. In fact, we found them to work quite well when we tried a new demo of the game at Nintendo's press event today. (The demo contained exactly the same levels we played back at E3, just with the new controls added). You don't have to make large, sweeping movements to make Link attack with his sword. To the contrary, the game will easily register a simple flick of the wrist and make Link swing accordingly, and if you've got your sword sheathed, moving the controller in this fashion will simply draw the sword, if no enemies are directly in front of you. So you'll be able to shake or wiggle the controller back and forth rapidly to attack, rather than having to swing your arm in a big arc. We could even pull off a couple of different sword combos by playing like this.

Even better was the fishing minigame, which was also available back at E3. But this time, the controls were even more like the actual sport, and we had perhaps too much fun casting our line in realistic fashion and lazily reeling it back in by making a reeling motion with the nunchaku. We were also able to flick our rod (read: remote) back and forth subtly or grossly to create the corresponding lure movement, and we had to flick the rod back sharply to hook the fish once we had a bite. Gee, just like real fishing!

The short version is, if you were planning on picking up Twilight Princess along with your shiny new Wii but were worried about the new controls, stop worrying. We think they'll be perfectly manageable based on what we played today, and frankly, we kind of want that fishing minigame broken out into a full-fledged Wii game in its own right. An afternoon in our boat (er, on our couch) with a six-pack and our trusty rod and reel sounds like good fun to us. How about it, Nintendo?
-GameSpot
Old 09-16-06, 01:13 AM

Yes, I remember reading that. It's just a flick of the wrist. A shake acts as if you were pushing the A button, it has nothing to do with direction. Shake shake shake = combo.
Old 09-16-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pizzamousechips
I always thought the swing of the remote is more like a shake recognition, so it's not as if Link's swing imitates your movements exactly. I thought it would just register as "swing" and Link would swing. Am I wrong?
I don't know, but I've said that it probably won't matter which hand you use. However, I could see it being distracting depending on how accurate the experience is.
Old 09-16-06, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
How do you know they can make a profit at $212? Do you know the costs involved? You can't necessarily compare Japan/US dollars straight up. It doesn't work that way. How has N proven they could sell this system for $200 and make a profit?
I don't, of course, but it is obviously feasible otherwise they wouldn't be doing it. That's all I'm saying. If that option wasn't presented anywhere else, there would be no complaints whatsoever.

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
stop being a cheapass.
I have thick skin, but name calling is still against the rules.

And again it has nothing to do with being cheap. I have a 360 and bought around 10 games. I have no qualms about buying something I want. So one last time, it is about the forced purchse that I don't want, when that money could be better spent somewhere else, like on a game I do want.

It has nothing to do with perceived value either. i.e. "the system is worth $250, just look at it that way." If that was true they wouldn't pack in WiiSports or offer it cheaper elsewhere. Or this well informed nugget "it's 2006 it should be more than $200 anyway."

But this time, the controls were even more like the actual sport, and we had perhaps too much fun casting our line in realistic fashion and lazily reeling it back in by making a reeling motion with the nunchaku.
Awesome.
Old 09-16-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by outer-edge
According to IGN, Link is now a righty in Twilight Princess!

All I have to say is, "for shame Nintendo!" What's next, Samus becomes a man?
Samus is the same person in each Metroid game. That isn't the same for "Link" is it? That is, each Zelda game isn't the further adventures of Link.
Old 09-16-06, 09:55 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by SunMonkey
Samus is the same person in each Metroid game. That isn't the same for "Link" is it? That is, each Zelda game isn't the further adventures of Link.
You're right, their are multiple links.

I think Majora's Mask is the only one that features the same Link (the one from Ocarina) and I believe the DS game will feature the same Link from Wind Waker.
Old 09-16-06, 01:58 PM
Banned by request

Let's not forget that this Link IS the same Link as the Link from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
Old 09-16-06, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe Link is ambidextrous, and he sprained his left wrist playing tennis or something...?
Old 09-16-06, 02:13 PM
Banned by request

Playing Wii tennis, no less.
Old 09-16-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(I hoped someone would catch that. )
Old 09-16-06, 03:34 PM

Is the left/right handed thing really a big deal? I mean come on it's a little petty, don't you think?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.