Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread pt. 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-06, 12:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm very happy about the announcement of bundled component cables.

As for WiiSports, I wouldn't buy it if they sold it separately. I will play it since it's packed-in, however. And WhoGirl loves bowling, so that will work out well for her. Does it include golf, too?
Old 09-15-06, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm very happy about the announcement of bundled component cables.

As for WiiSports, I wouldn't buy it if they sold it separately. I will play it since it's packed-in, however. And WhoGirl loves bowling, so that will work out well for her. Does it include golf, too?
Yup. Bowling, golf, baseball, tennis, and boxing.
Old 09-15-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is that pong type game I've seen videos of? Is that in Wii Sports also?
Old 09-15-06, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748547/vids_1.html

IGN has some videos of metroid up that show the super responsive expert control mode raved about in the story I posted earlier in the thread.

Also of note from the video (at least to me) was that their was voice acting in the game.
Is it still so hard that they need target lock-on in an FPS?
Old 09-15-06, 12:52 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
What is that pong type game I've seen videos of? Is that in Wii Sports also?
I think that is in a compilation of minigames that is being sold seperately and bundled with a Wiimote in Japan.
Old 09-15-06, 12:53 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by pizzamousechips
Is it still so hard that they need target lock-on in an FPS?
IDK. They might leave that in since it was in the first two games, or that might be from one of the other control options, or just something they haven't taken out of expert control yet since they are still tweaking it. :shrugs:

I liked the lock on to, but I hate FPS games in most cases so I'm not in the audience that thinks the lock on is cheap etc.
Old 09-15-06, 12:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think the lock on worked for Metroid. Certainly not a deal breaker in any way. The new one may have a lock on for things like the grappling beam, considering how they intend for you to use it.

Do we have a release date on Day of Destruction (I think that's the name of it, the disaster game)? That one really caught my interest.
Old 09-15-06, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I guess I don't share the heartache that some are feeling with todays announcements. It seems like before the announcements I was seeing lots of these kinds of posts. "Wii is the only true next gen system beacuse it changes the way you play games" Now suddenly people are saying it is just a glorified gamecube. It is graphically, but that isn't what most of us were excited about anyways.

250 doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If the system is as good as we have hyped the price seems fine. I like having the pack in, but I am seeing a lot of speculation on it being a tech demo. Does anyone have further info on Wii sports? I guess I thought it would be a little more in depth of a game. I loved the baseball and tennis games I played at E3, but I thought they would be somewhat full games.

The controller price is higher than expected, I guess it can be justified as that is where the tech is, but it will be harder for the Wii to be the party system with controller so expensive.

The virtual console wasn't the big selling point for me, I am not affected by the prices that much. I do think they are just setting a baseline price. I think the games will start to come down based on market demand very quickly.

I am not sure if I will get a Wii at lauch. My biggest concern isn't the cost, but the launch games. If the launch games get good reviews I will probably get one for XMAs, otherwise I will wait. Right now Zelda is the only game I am positive about, no other game has me pumped, but that could easily change if the reviews are good. The delay in Prime and wait for some other big games might defer my purchase a while. I might pick up a 360 this holiday season instead, just because it has built up a decent library of games I want to play, and now some games are hitting the magic $20 price. I also plan on getting an HDTV this holiday season so the 360 would be a good choice, it all depends on the quality of the Wii launch software.
Old 09-15-06, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, the prices were listed as "starting at."
It's getting better and better.
Old 09-15-06, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by msdmoney
250 doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If the system is as good as we have hyped the price seems fine. I like having the pack in, but I am seeing a lot of speculation on it being a tech demo. Does anyone have further info on Wii sports? I guess I thought it would be a little more in depth of a game. I loved the baseball and tennis games I played at E3, but I thought they would be somewhat full games.

The controller price is higher than expected, I guess it can be justified as that is where the tech is, but it will be harder for the Wii to be the party system with controller so expensive.
Honestly, $250 wasn't a big deal to me either. My main problem is the fact that we don't have the option to skip Wii Sports and save some money. $250 seemed high based on the fact the console could be $35 cheaper. That knowledge is what is messing with me.

However, the fact it comes with Component cables has definitely softened the blow and my wife is really wanting to get one so I may be back in the mix. That controller cost is the big sticking point to me right now. I am not buying controllers unless I can find a deal of some kind. $60 is out of the question. I can hear the arguements about the tech in the remote, but these things are pure profit to console makers and they are getting greedy on them.

I'm not thrilled with the SNES pricing, but for games like Super Mario RPG I will definitely shell out $8. I'm worried though that they may only put the junk SNES titles at $8 and try and rape us on the classics we really want. Hopefully that is not the case. I'm also hoping there will be lots of deals to get free VC games by preordering, etc that will also add a lot of value.

One factor I honestly forgot was the fact I can sell my GameCube to get this. I probably can't get more than $50 for it, but that brings the console down to the $200 I want. I was planning on keeping the GameCube, but I can also sell the rare component cables and cover even more of the Wii cost. This is probably the factor that will have me ordering one.
Old 09-15-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll get to play Wii on October 20th.
Old 09-15-06, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SoonerDoc
i was certainly planning on getting the Wii on launch day but several things have no dissuaded me. the cost of the console $250 + an extra controller $60 + a SD memory card $50 + possible component cables is putting the price in the neighborhood of $400 bucks.
Reports so far: component cable included

If you pay $50 for an SD card you must live in Canada or something. I got a 1GB SD card for $2 AR a while back. 1GB SD cards are readily available at about $20-$25 TOPS, and 256-512MB cards are like $5-$10 AR. They're practically giving them away now, like CD-Rs. I've got a a 16MB and a 32MB card laying around spare.

$250 + $60 for extra controller + $5 for an SD card (assuming you need a nunchuck) = $315

I have to admit, though, the launch list is looking a bit sparse. It's making me consider holding off until January. I still plan on buying a Wii and a 360, though, and likely in that order. No way in hell I'm paying $600 for a PS3.

And the VC pricing sucks. NES games shouldn't be $5 IMO but something like $2-$3 tops. I don't have an issue with $10 n64 games but $5 NES games seems overpriced.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 09-15-06 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-15-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zero
I can honestly wait until 2007 for Metroid, hell I havent even finished part 1 yet (yes I know lazy). I simply cannot wait!
This brings up an interesting question to me. I have a feeling that the control scheme of MP3 may be such that it invalidates the MP1 and 2 scheme. I mean, will we be able to enjoy MP1&2 after MP3 which I am assuming to be a more intuitive, free experience?

I would not be surprised to see a combo disc of MP1&2 with the MP3 control scheme on the Wii at some point. Again, assuming it is a resounding success.
Old 09-15-06, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Good news about the component cables. That makes me a little more satisfied with the price.

This morning I had two friends that were down for the $212 they saw for Japan. They are both xbox/360 gamers and haven't owned a Nintendo since the N64. I was pumped. They were ready to jump back in the Nintendo world. I would have people to play multiplayer with again. Yea! Then the $250 figure came out. Now they are both out.

Shows you right there how much a measly $40 means to people. The WiiSports bundle is just bad. I know I sound like a broken record, but they should have left well enough alone and gone console only for $200 like every Nintendo console before it. With as much hype and interest they have drummed up, a $200 system is a no brainer. You can't say it couldn't be done either since that is basically the price in Japan.
I know this is supposed to be a story about how Nintendo screwed up on the pricing.

But all I can think after reading that, is if $40 really means that much to people, then Nintendo execs must be doing the dance of joy.
Old 09-15-06, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I knew it! We Europeans have to pay the most again.

Eurogamer reports that the system will see release on December 8th for EUR 249 and GBP 179.
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/15/wi...e-for-gbp-179/
Old 09-15-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Honestly, $250 wasn't a big deal to me either. My main problem is the fact that we don't have the option to skip Wii Sports and save some money. $250 seemed high based on the fact the console could be $35 cheaper. That knowledge is what is messing with me.

However, the fact it comes with Component cables has definitely softened the blow and my wife is really wanting to get one so I may be back in the mix. That controller cost is the big sticking point to me right now. I am not buying controllers unless I can find a deal of some kind. $60 is out of the question. I can hear the arguements about the tech in the remote, but these things are pure profit to console makers and they are getting greedy on them.

I'm not thrilled with the SNES pricing, but for games like Super Mario RPG I will definitely shell out $8. I'm worried though that they may only put the junk SNES titles at $8 and try and rape us on the classics we really want. Hopefully that is not the case. I'm also hoping there will be lots of deals to get free VC games by preordering, etc that will also add a lot of value.
I am on the exact same page. Japan getting a non Sports bundle for $212 is a kick in the balls. The change in opinion about the game is because of this extra $35. We all assumed that with its simplicity it would come at no extra charge and would be perfect in teaching wiimote functionality. Now we know without a doubt WiiSports comes at a price.

The component cable issue has softened the blow for me as well. Definitely much easier to swallow the price now that I don't have to blow another $30-$40 on cables.

As for an extra Wiimote, I think I'm banking on Sam's Club to come through for me. Probably a console, extra Wiimote and nunchuck for maybe $290 or something. I just wish launch wasn't a Sunday. No early purchase.

I'm not too keen on the VC pricing either. Sure the price is comparable to MS's arcade, but MS offers demos, HD & achievements. Nintendo's pricing totally kills impulse buys.
Old 09-15-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bet this means about a £200 price in the UK I hope no more than a fiver is charged for virtual console games of any sort when it arrive over here.
Old 09-15-06, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Frenzy
I knew it! We Europeans have to pay the most again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/15/wi...e-for-gbp-179/
Bah

That means paying over the odds for virtual console games as well then. Will we (non US/Japanese people) be able to download games on the VC that weren't released in Europe (eg Mario RPG etc)?
Old 09-15-06, 11:06 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by msdmoney
Well I guess I don't share the heartache that some are feeling with todays announcements. It seems like before the announcements I was seeing lots of these kinds of posts. "Wii is the only true next gen system beacuse it changes the way you play games" Now suddenly people are saying it is just a glorified gamecube. It is graphically, but that isn't what most of us were excited about anyways.
I think the glorified GC bits have came up in illustrating what people outside the target market will think, not what we think.

i.e. I think I used in saying I don't see people getting shut out on finding a PS3 buying a Wii instead for that reason among others, and them being much more likely to get a 360.

It's definitely more than a glorified GC for me, due to the controller, which I do think can revolutionize games.

I'm still very exited about it. Just less exited about paying for it.
Old 09-15-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grim_tales
That means paying over the odds for virtual console games as well then. Will we (non US/Japanese people) be able to download games on the VC that weren't released in Europe (eg Mario RPG etc)?
I suppose playing US or Japanese VC games on European consoles should be possible. Otherwise Nintendo would miss some nice profits.
Old 09-15-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I like how Nintendo has priced the Wii for Canada: $279.95 plus tax.
This is actually cheaper than when they launched the Gamecube for $300.
Old 09-15-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What cables does the Wii use? I have a 28" W/S (CRT?) set and use the 'Cube RGB cable when playing Cube games (the TV has one RGB socket).
Since it plays normal DVDs as well as games I guess a good quality scart with the Wii would do?
Old 09-15-06, 12:24 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by grim_tales
What cables does the Wii use? I have a 28" W/S (CRT?) set and use the 'Cube RGB cable when playing Cube games (the TV has one RGB socket).
Since it plays normal DVDs as well as games I guess a good quality scart with the Wii would do?

I've been trying to find out myself if the cables will still be interchangeable as they have been since the SNES, but haven't been able to find the info.

BTW, the Wii no longer has DVD playback. That was part of the announcement yesterday.
Old 09-15-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I've been trying to find out myself if the cables will still be interchangeable as they have been since the SNES, but haven't been able to find the info.

BTW, the Wii no longer has DVD playback. That was part of the announcement yesterday.
from cnet.com
When we asked Nintendo about the A/V hookup, they said the system would include an all-in-one composite-component cable much like the one included with the premium Xbox 360. We did not get to see those cables, so take that one with a grain of salt.
Old 09-15-06, 12:49 PM
Retired

Yeah, I saw that, but that just implies that it will be composite and component, with no S-video.

And doesn't clearly state whether it will be able to use the old GC cables, though it is unlikely.

Sucks as I have to use S-video and don't want to be scrambling for a cable on launch when the cheap 3rd party ones don't tend to be around yet (only expensive monster ones etc.).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.