Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Xbox 360 Compendium, Version 2.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tpc
I finally got a 360 last night. I traded in a bunch of old games, and managed to get the Premium system, a vertical stand with the cooler built in by Pelican, an xbox live gold 3 month membership, Madden 07. oblivion and fable for 390 bucks out the door. I'm very pleased.

my biggest disappontment was that I attempted to save money by not buying the wireless adapter. I thought i could simply move my cable modem downstairs and jack directly in, but for some reason, my digital cable didn't like that (I think splitting the signal made it too weak. Oh well. for the moment, i'm not on live, but I will be with my next pay cycle.

I played a little Madden, and well, it's the same thing it's always been... however, I have a new Mistress, and her name is Oblivion
Check the splitter that you used, you want one with a 3db reduction, no anymore. You could also run to HD or Lowes (or elsewhere) and grab a (cable) signal booster for ~$20. It would be cheaper than getting he wireless adapter.

(On splitters, there is usually numbers on the "outs", usuallly 3db to 7db. That is the number that the signal is reduced by. An incoming signal is anywhere from 12-16db. If your cable is split elsewhere, like where it first comes into the house, you are probably better off with the signal booster.)
Old 09-30-06, 09:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tpc
managed to get the Premium system, a vertical stand with the cooler built in by Pelican
I would exchange that for the intercooler by Nyko. That one fits on the back of the 360, so you can sit it horizontally instead. The worst thing you can do to your 360 (aside from tossing it around or beating it with bats) is to sit it vertically. Even if the system is okay, if it gets jostled by accident you run the risk of laser burn on your games.
Old 09-30-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eatntae
[martin and miyu]You should pick up COD2. Its the game dominated by The Official DVDTalk Xbox Live Gaming Schedule.[/martin and miyu]
COD2 is going to be $34.99 starting tomorrow at BestBuy according to speedy's ad post in the bargains forum. If they have the game of the year edition, I'm sure it'll be that price too.
Since i was more or less summoned i would have to recommend checking out CoD2 - tons of fun online and a brutal offline challenge on Veteran.

Of course in a month or two CoD3 is due out so perhaps you will want to hold off till then.
Old 10-01-06, 12:57 PM

If anyone is in the market for a wireless controller, one can be had from buy.com for about $30 using Google Checkout

Now my kid can stop bugging me about playing Lego Star Wars II with him!
Old 10-01-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Check out these new Gears of War vids:

http://www.gametrailers.com/

1. http://trailers.gametrailers.com/gt_...6_wt1_h264.wmv

2. http://trailers.gametrailers.com/gt_...6_wt2_h264.wmv

3. http://trailers.gametrailers.com/gt_...6_wt3_h264.wmv
Old 10-01-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't wait. I like how the chainsaw is integrated a gun. I probably wouldn't use it that much otherwise.
Old 10-01-06, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone notice how those videos lag once in awhile? Is that the game? Does that happen often in 360 games?
Old 10-01-06, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't notice any lag in those videos at all. Maybe you are downloading/streaming it slower than you actually watch it so it periodically stops?

I love the chainsaw too, especially the blood splatter effects and the way it sticks to the camera. The only thing I am not really sure I like is the reload meter timer thing. That could be slightly annoying to have to time it right when you are in the middle of a frantic combat situation. Otherwise, Gears of War is looking 100% awesome.
Old 10-01-06, 09:01 PM

I noticed the lag as well and I know that it's not my internet connection as I have a 15mb connection. It looks almost like frame rate problems with the game. Perhaps it's an earlier build of the game as the E3 footage was plagued with the same problems and MS did say that it was an early build and would be fixed by the time the game is released.
Old 10-01-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Binger
I noticed the lag as well and I know that it's not my internet connection as I have a 15mb connection. It looks almost like frame rate problems with the game. Perhaps it's an earlier build of the game as the E3 footage was plagued with the same problems and MS did say that it was an early build and would be fixed by the time the game is released.
Yeah, hopefully if it is the game then it will be fixed. It's not my internet connection or my PC because the video always lags in the exact same spot. Looks cool though...
Old 10-01-06, 10:48 PM
tpc

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I would exchange that for the intercooler by Nyko. That one fits on the back of the 360, so you can sit it horizontally instead. The worst thing you can do to your 360 (aside from tossing it around or beating it with bats) is to sit it vertically. Even if the system is okay, if it gets jostled by accident you run the risk of laser burn on your games.
I've heard this, but it just seems silly. I mean, I'm not questioning you, but every store display is vertical, as is every picture in the manual. I've pondered flipping it on it's side.
Old 10-01-06, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if a disc is spinning vertically, and you bump it there is far more room for something to go wrong than if it's horizontal. Not sure about the laser burn, but scratching potentially.
Old 10-01-06, 11:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tpc
I've heard this, but it just seems silly. I mean, I'm not questioning you, but every store display is vertical, as is every picture in the manual. I've pondered flipping it on it's side.
Yes, every display is vertical and we already had our display replaced twice, and the current one still only works half the time. So I don't see how that is a good example.
Old 10-02-06, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I'm probably the only one, but I'm really impressed with how well F.E.A.R. (demo) was ported. They did a damn good job with that.
Old 10-02-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Flay
FYI, The Vision camera can be purchased for $27.99 shipped through Buy.com using the Google Checkout system. Other deals to be had as well.
Thanks for the heads up. My Gold subscription runs out in January, so I went for the Vision bundle for $65 shipped. I figure I'm paying $50 for the year of Gold and $15 for the camera, redundant 2nd headset, and other goodies. I'll pop the headset on eBay, and it seems like a nice deal overall.
Old 10-02-06, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To weigh in on the horizontal/vertical issue, I've had my 360 vertical for months now, since that's the only way it fits into my entertainment center, and I haven't run into any issues. Actually, I've had my PS2 vertical for several years and I've never had a problem with that either.
Old 10-02-06, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the upcoming F.E.A.R. going to be a direct port of the PC game? I downloaded the demo and it's exactly the same so far, so I was wondering if there may be some extra stuff added.
Old 10-02-06, 01:14 PM
tpc

Here's a question.

I just got an xbox 360 over the weekend, and I burned the 360 backwards compatability update to dvd and applied it. worked great.

My buddy has a 360 and no intention of getting online with it at any point. He comes here a lot more often than I go there... if he brought his HD over, and we hooked it into my 360, could I apply the update? I'm assuming so, since you've got to have HD or memory card to apply the update, it can't be a firmware update, can it? it's got to be on the HD.
Old 10-02-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Couldn't he just borrow your DVD?
Old 10-02-06, 01:31 PM
tpc

Originally Posted by pinata242
Couldn't he just borrow your DVD?

this man is totally inept at electronics. I assure you it's easier if I just do it.

How he hasn't blown himself up using a calculator is totally beyond me.
Old 10-02-06, 01:34 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Technically it should work. Ive had friends bring over their hard drive and it basically turns the xbox into their machine.
Old 10-02-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
Is the upcoming F.E.A.R. going to be a direct port of the PC game? I downloaded the demo and it's exactly the same so far, so I was wondering if there may be some extra stuff added.
I believe there's supposed to be some console specific single and multiplayer levels.
Old 10-02-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How long is the cable on the WIRED 360 controller? I want one for my PC, and BUY.com has the Windows XP 360 controller for $23.xx shipped after the coupon out there. Just curious how long it is....

Some great deals on BUY.com with the Google Checkout though. Cheap camera, wireless controller, Logitech 360 remote.
Old 10-02-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I believe there's supposed to be some console specific single and multiplayer levels.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 10-02-06, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
How long is the cable on the WIRED 360 controller? I want one for my PC, and BUY.com has the Windows XP 360 controller for $23.xx shipped after the coupon out there. Just curious how long it is....

Some great deals on BUY.com with the Google Checkout though. Cheap camera, wireless controller, Logitech 360 remote.
The Logitech remote is still steep with $10 off. Do you know of a better deal for it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.