Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
Even tho im very curious to see how Wii looks and performs and plays, i was casually talking to someone who used to be a video gamer and then just sorta fell off the map. We talked about the name change which he of course, felt was stupid. And then i showed him the articles about madden and how the controls will work for it and so on. His initial responce? "That sucks, your arm is going to get super tired just playing video games". Even tho most gamers have right hands that can break through pure iron, i forsee this as a potential issue, especially with a game thats very demanding in movement.
Dude I seriously doubt the system is going to require breaking a sweat to have a good time. Anyone that's concerned about getting tired playing their nintendo due to muscle fatigue could probably stand to lose a few pounds; or a couple hundred for that matter
Old 04-28-06, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
You know, with all of the real important things happening in the world (war in Iraq, U.S. soldiers being killed, innocent Iraqi's being killed, famine & genocide around the world, millions of people dying from Aids, Immigration debates going on here in the U.S.) a thing like the apparent misnaming of the Revolution to Wii seems so inconsequential when you put things into perspective.

I mean we all agree that the most important things are:

But then when you put things in perspective, all of the "important things" you listed, this whole sub-forum, and largely the entirety of dvdtalk is pretty inconsequential. Just saying .

I hope you're wrong on the pricing though. $250 is decent, but I really was set on this thing coming in at $200. Well you didn't say it would cost $250, but under, I just hope it's as close to $199 (or under) as possible. $249 would be a bit of a bummer.

And it always cracks me up when people go on about how powerful systems are. You are totally right about the Wii not needing to contend with the PS3 and 360, and really the Wii could be as powerful as the gamecube is now and I still would get one. Plus the DS totally shattered the myth that more power = better game system. The only tech spec that means anything to me really is HD space. The rest of the nuts and bolts mean nothing if the games don't interest me.

I think it would be so frickin' cool if the Wii came already loaded with Super Mario World, Duck Hunt, and Mario Bros. to shoutout the games bundled with the old systems.
Old 04-28-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say wait until E3 to hear how much physical exertion is needed.. I can't imagine it'll be as wild and swingy as you can imagine just hearing about it.. but, it's one of those things that you'll have to try to really "get" it.
Old 04-28-06, 01:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Pixy - i'll be emailing you soon. Would like to get our problems ironed out.

sorry for ot
Old 04-28-06, 01:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

If they have a mat to sell with this, and you used 2 controllers, it could be the coolest thing in the world. The feet would simulate walking. Holy shit that would be awesome for FPS or anything for that matter. Think of a DDR game that used both hands and legs
Old 04-28-06, 01:15 PM

Anybody else see this? It's officially on Amazon already.

I'm not used to Amazon trying to be clever. Look at the captions, I wonder who worked on that page.
Old 04-28-06, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Smaller than a breadbox. And way more fun."
"Levitating disc not included."
"Hmm... These holes look important."

That's awesome!
Old 04-28-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Love the reviews already for something that no one has tried yet.

This is lame and stupid and will apeal to little kids. I was very disappointed after reading reviews from people who have tested it out.
Old 04-28-06, 01:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

Anyone know if this would have the capability for a mat like other systems have (the old nintendo for instance)?
Old 04-28-06, 01:38 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Anyone know if this would have the capability for a mat like other systems have (the old nintendo for instance)?
It has GC controller ports, so of course it would. whether they can be used in conjuction with the new wireless controller I'm not sure of.
Old 04-28-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Some Dumbass on Amazon
If you like nintendo pay no attention to this, April 23, 2006
A Kid's Review
Im a teen and I grew out of nintendo games a while ago. I like playstation now. But if you are 4-8 years old you would still like it. I honestly think that Playstation 3 will be the best Xbox 360 will be second best and Nintendo revouloution will be the worst. Nintendo was really stupid to make controllers that are like television remotes.
Ugh what an idiot.
Old 04-28-06, 01:40 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'd say wait until E3 to hear how much physical exertion is needed.. I can't imagine it'll be as wild and swingy as you can imagine just hearing about it.. but, it's one of those things that you'll have to try to really "get" it.

I think it will vary by game. Most games will probalby require little movement. i.e. to aim in a FPS you can probably just rest it in your lap or whatever and just move it an inch or two to cover the whole screen.

Other games, like a drum game or something, or the passing in madden, will be more physical.

I think the potential to do both is what makes it so exciting. it can be a better way to aim, and also a way to make gaming more physical and give us a new way to play new types of games.

Can't wait for E3 details!
Old 04-28-06, 01:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

A boxing game would be awesome, especially if the incorporate 2 controllers (and a mat too would be nice). damn would be tiring though.
Old 04-28-06, 01:44 PM

After a short search, I found that Amazon's PS3 page is just as bad.
Old 04-28-06, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Other games, like a drum game or something, or the passing in madden, will be more physical.
Yeah. From what we've heard about the new Madden, it sounds extremely tiring. I can see minimizing movement in an FPS, but minimizing movement in a football pass? Major props if EA figures that out. (Is anyone actually excited about the new Madden? I'm only happy because the news shows developers are thinking and moving in the right direction. The actual game doesn't sound fun.)
Old 04-28-06, 01:55 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by pizzamousechips
Yeah. From what we've heard about the new Madden, it sounds extremely tiring. I can see minimizing movement in an FPS, but minimizing movement in a football pass? Major props if EA figures that out. (Is anyone actually excited about the new Madden? I'm only happy because the news shows developers are thinking and moving in the right direction. The actual game doesn't sound fun.)

I'm sure the game will have the option to put the remote in the shell and play it the traditional way, as well as using the motion passing etc.
Old 04-28-06, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm sure the game will have the option to put the remote in the shell and play it the traditional way, as well as using the motion passing etc.
Sounds right. But they are building it from the ground up for the new controller (they threw out the whole Madden formula). So, who knows. EA isn't the best at wowing, they're usually great at delivering a good looking, fun experience. Satisfactory. I'm doubtful it will be a key showoff game for the new system.
Old 04-28-06, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pizzamousechips
Sounds right. But they are building it from the ground up for the new controller (they threw out the whole Madden formula). So, who knows. EA isn't the best at wowing, they're usually great at delivering a good looking, fun experience. Satisfactory. I'm doubtful it will be a key showoff game for the new system.
Madden Wii is being developed by EA's Canada branch.. whom developed the SSX series, one that I love to death, so maybe they'll be able to put some extra "magic" in it, so to speak.
Old 04-28-06, 02:13 PM

Madden Wii is being developed by EA's Canada branch.. whom developed the SSX series, one that I love to death, so maybe they'll be able to put some extra "magic" in it, so to speak.
I'll cross my fingers. SSX is my favorite series from EA, so maybe they can really give Madden that "magic" you talk about.
Old 04-28-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
A boxing game would be awesome, especially if the incorporate 2 controllers (and a mat too would be nice). damn would be tiring though.
I've played an arcade game like this.. it wasn't as tiring as DDR, that's for sure.
Old 04-28-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 501 Likes on 296 Posts
I've played an arcade game like this.. it wasn't as tiring as DDR, that's for sure.
I wanted to try that, but I get a little shy when it comes to playing those arcade games that require extra movement. Therefore no DDR, or boxing. I would love to have a system that gives a workout, but let's be for real here. Those controllers aren't going to weigh 20 pounds. So maybe you get a little aerobically fatigued. I don't think it's going to be that big of a deal.

Besides I bet there will be a setting that let's you adjust sensitivity sort of like we have now for the analog sticks, and even for mouse sensitivity.
Old 04-28-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
"Smaller than a breadbox. And way more fun."
"Levitating disc not included."
"Hmm... These holes look important."

That's awesome!

Its not "completely backwards compatable all the way to the NES of the 1980's", Amazon are getting confused with the backwards compatability with the 'Cube and the Virtual Console.

That page is actually very funny
Old 04-28-06, 03:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

True - not as bad. But if you are a lightweight fighter and throw over a 100 punches a round it could be tiring
Old 04-28-06, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly

I hope you're wrong on the pricing though. $250 is decent, but I really was set on this thing coming in at $200. Well you didn't say it would cost $250, but under, I just hope it's as close to $199 (or under) as possible. $249 would be a bit of a bummer.
I had originally typed $200, but then I thought that since I'm not keeping up 100% with the rumors, that possibly the $200 figure would be too low and then people would then be asking me where I heard that from!

But I agree, I personally think it will come out at $199.99 and I will be a dummy and get up early on the Sunday morning launch (just like the GameCube) and get in line to be one of the first to buy one.

Chris
Old 04-28-06, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm... what do you all make of the lack of a trademark as noted by kotaku below:

I spoke with branding company Igor International yesterday about Nintendo’s choice of Wii as the new name for their next-gen console.

During the interview Steve Manning became convinced that Nintendo had deliberately picked a bad name for the console and that it was, in fact, fake. Manning thinks that Nintendo is creating an enormous viral campaign by releasing a fake name and then coming back during E3 and announcing the real one.

It looks like he’s not the only one who thinks this. Site Snark Hunting is also convinced, here’s why:

Crazy? Here is the first clue, “By letting the gaming community vent now about the name, they will be less distracted as launch titles for the system are announced and initial reports about what it’s like to play the games begin to come in.” Allowing your audience time to vent is not SOP in a name announcement, and also telegraphs that Nintendo knows what a stinker this name would be.

Second, it’s not possible to engineer a worse name for this product.

Third, and this is a big one, there are no trademarks registered by Nintendo nor by any dummy corp in the U.S or over there for Wii. This is unprecedented for Nintendo and it is not possible that his is an oversight. If Wii were the name, they would have registered it. In fact, no new trademarks have been registered by Nintendo at all. This leads us to conclude that Nintendo has in fact registered the real name under a dummy corp, which is SOP when trying to keep a name a secret prior to launch.

I’ve asked Nintendo reps straight out if this was the case, several times, and they deny it through and through. They also say they don’t know why the name isn’t yet trademarked.

Manning is now calling this the “most savvy name announcement we have seen in many years.”

We think Nintendo is setting you all up to be Punk’d at E3, generating a massive amount of positive buzz when the scam and the real new name are announced.

Given that their video game audience is the same demographic as Punk’d, the whole campaign is perversely elegant. Except of course for failing to make the illusion complete by registering a TM for Wii.

Personally, I think this would run too many risks and could far too easily backfire for Nintendo to attempt it. I’m thinking Nintendo just thinks the shock is going to create an instant and lasting impression.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.