Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
No way in hell.. I mean, it's a nice thought and it does tie into the Wii concept, but we'll still be buying our second controller separate (especially if it comes with the analog attachment or shell). I'm just glad we've got internal memory now on all the systems.. Actually it would be nice if they had a "deluxe" pack with two controllers and a game.
A man can dream
Old 04-27-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
A man can dream
Yeah, I saw an NES Deluxe Set at a swap meet a couple of months ago. System, two controllers, the gun, the robot and three games.
Old 04-27-06, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Can we keep the wii jokes confined to the other thread please? One's bad enough, but we don't need two.

Thanks.
Oui, Oui monsewer!

Chris
Old 04-27-06, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by sureAV421

I love this logo. Very sharp.

I agree, it would be nice to go back to pack in games, even if it is something simple like a revised Duck Hunt. Sure I may only play it once or twice, but as a consumer looking at it on the shelf, it is value added content.

360 even came with Hexic. That's not bad. So why not Nintendo?
Old 04-27-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say that they'll let you download one or two games from the virtual console for free when you buy the Wii. Maybe the original Duck Hunt is one of games in the library, for all you Duck Hunt fiends.
Old 04-28-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Personally I am on the fence with the name, on the one hand when I hear the explanation from Nintendo the name makes sense and the way it looks when spelled that way. The other hand I think it gives them an evev bigger "kid" image. The ad a few posts up does look pretty cool though.

Also very important to note, when I told my wife who is definitely not a gamer whatsoever(does not play them at all) thought the name was DUMB.
Old 04-28-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope Nintendo announces that Wii is region-free at E3.
Old 04-28-06, 09:25 AM
Mod Emeritus

Teasing the wii can go here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=463650 If you want to seriously (look at my face) discuss the name and its effect on the future, do so here.
Old 04-28-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Where are the Teasing the Xbox or Teasing the PS3 threads? We had one, but it was considered against the rules and closed.
Old 04-28-06, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think this is more teasing about the name due to the large number of people who aren't necessarily bashing the console but think the name itself is a silly decision. Then again - i'm not trying to min-mod.

Well that and seeing Gallant say "teasing the wii" was pure comedy gold in my book.
Old 04-28-06, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I think this is more teasing about the name due to the large number of people who aren't necessarily bashing the console but think the name itself is a silly decision. Then again - i'm not trying to min-mod.
And the grill thread..? Some people just thought the design was silly and weren't bashing the console itself.
Old 04-28-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a complete whore for Nintendo these days...lots of Strikers and Peach this week...and the new console just looks brilliant in every way.

But I think this Wii thing is a collossal mistake...at least in the US market. I'm not just making fun of it. I think it has real potential to hurt market share. What kid is going to ask for a Wii for Christmas...or admit to his friends that he has one?

The console is definitely slick, and it may just be cool enough to overcome its name, but it shouldn't have to.
Old 04-28-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by chess
I'm a complete whore for Nintendo these days...lots of Strikers and Peach this week...and the new console just looks brilliant in every way.

But I think this Wii thing is a collossal mistake...at least in the US market. I'm not just making fun of it. I think it has real potential to hurt market share. What kid is going to ask for a Wii for Christmas...or admit to his friends that he has one?

The console is definitely slick, and it may just be cool enough to overcome its name, but it shouldn't have to.
I understand what you are saying and am concerned about the same things. However, because the name is so unique it does offer clarity on what it is. I am regarded as the "gaming guy" among my brothers and peers whom have families, and many of them ask me about "this playstation 360 thing" etc. The Wii name does effectively seperate itself from the traditional "gaming" system names, this is key to appeal to new "gamers" and to creating a unique identity.

If anyone has an interest in starting a business, or how to effectively create a niche in a marketplace, read "The Art of Start" by Guy Kawasaki (of former Macintosh fame) What Nintendo has done with both the console design and controller (and now the name) is straight out of the books opening chapter. It either leads to large success, of compete failure.

Based on all the positive news and impressions thus far, I believe the controlling system to be "revolutionary" and the system will be a success. As you point out, it will be getting over that initial hump. Consider for moment how unique the Wii experience will be, perhaps they need such a unique name to drive that seperation even further from the "competition".
Old 04-28-06, 09:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Where are the Teasing the Xbox or Teasing the PS3 threads? We had one, but it was considered against the rules and closed.

See my post in the rename the wii thread. I did'n't close that one.

It maybe have been due to the thread itself was taking an ugly turn and the mod who closed wanted to put out the fire. I can't even remember.
Old 04-28-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
I understand what you are saying and am concerned about the same things. However, because the name is so unique it does offer clarity on what it is. I am regarded as the "gaming guy" among my brothers and peers whom have families, and many of them ask me about "this playstation 360 thing" etc. The Wii name does effectively seperate itself from the traditional "gaming" system names, this is key to appeal to new "gamers" and to creating a unique identity.

If anyone has an interest in starting a business, or how to effectively create a niche in a marketplace, read "The Art of Start" by Guy Kawasaki (of former Macintosh fame) What Nintendo has done with both the console design and controller (and now the name) is straight out of the books opening chapter. It either leads to large success, of compete failure.

Based on all the positive news and impressions thus far, I believe the controlling system to be "revolutionary" and the system will be a success. As you point out, it will be getting over that initial hump. Consider for moment how unique the Wii experience will be, perhaps they need such a unique name to drive that seperation even further from the "competition".
We're on the same page mostly.

I'm just concerned about market share...and the third party support and exclusives that invariably follow market share. The controllers are only as nifty as the games for them.
Old 04-28-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm definately pumped for Super Monkey Ball on the Wii. I used to have a blast playing the party games with my friends in the Gamecube versions and I'm sure the new controller will lend to some frantic fun.
Old 04-28-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We're on the same page mostly.

I'm just concerned about market share...and the third party support and exclusives that invariably follow market share. The controllers are only as nifty as the games for them.

I posted this in the other Wii thread that got closed down after GP got owned -sic-:
Nintendo's strategy is clearly to grow the size of the market, not simply compete for the same customers over and over again. Consider the DS and how much the portable industry has boomed thanks to it. (And the PSP). Nintendo can have 10% share of a market 100 million customers big, or 100% of 10 million customers, it doesn't matter. The only true success is measuring business bottom line success is profits, market share is nothing without this, just ask Netscape, Yahoo, General Motors, etc. etc.

Screw market share, focus on increased customer base, meeting customer need, and making money.
Old 04-28-06, 10:10 AM
Retired

I used to care about that. But there's so few third party games I've enjoyed over the past 2 generations that I really don't care anymore. Even moreso with the limited amount I game, Nintendo's games and the virtual console will be more than enough to keep me busy if third party support dries up.

I think its kind of moot anyway as most third party companies aren't going to bother porting PS3/360 games over just like they don't often to the GC now. The 3rd party games will be from small developers making unique games and that won't be too dependent on marketshare anyway.
Old 04-28-06, 10:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

Here's my post from the wii closed thread:

I think I realized why the name is so different to me. There's nowhere in the english language where we use "ii" as part of a word. Nor is it derived from any other english word like "dream cast". Is this unprecedented for the US market? I mean even the original Nintendo was pulled solely from the name of the company (company names can be non-sensical like Atari or Sega).

Which of these below doesn't fit:

Master System
Turbo Grafx
Genesis
Lynx
GameGear
Playstation
XBox
Dreamcast
Wii
Gameboy
DualScreen
GameCube

See what I mean?

So maybe their thinking is the gaming is something that's never been done, so why not have a name that's never existed before. Kinda cool I guess. The name really stinks of Shiggy though, I bet he had final say.

I'm just afraid it'll get lambasted by mainstream press and never have a chance to really make it here. I guess it'll ultimately come down to price point and the name will be pretty meaningless in the end.

It's starting to grow on me. Also the Japanese have a very interesting sense of humor, maybe this is part of it.
Old 04-28-06, 10:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

I'm not sure I like it being associated with the word "we" though. That's just too easy. If they are going to go with such a different name, market it more uniquely than that.
Old 04-28-06, 10:50 AM

You know, with all of the real important things happening in the world (war in Iraq, U.S. soldiers being killed, innocent Iraqi's being killed, famine & genocide around the world, millions of people dying from Aids, Immigration debates going on here in the U.S.) a thing like the apparent misnaming of the Revolution to Wii seems so inconsequential when you put things into perspective.

I mean we all agree that the most important things are:

1. The games (and most of you have given the upcoming games an "A", I believe).
2. Pricing (It looks like it will be under $250, affordable for almost everybody).
3. Controller (everyone seems to be very excited with the unique controller and the things it will be able to do).
4. Downloadable classic games (All of you have fond memories of the NES, Super Nintendo (me) and Nintendo 64 games and cannot wait to play them again on a much more powerful console).
5. The power of the console (most of you agree that with the kind of games Nintendo is making, this console doesn't have to be as powerful as the XBox 360 & the PS3).
6. And last but not least.... The name. So what if the name sounds silly. You are getting a console at a reasonable price with a whole bunch of kickass games, online capabilities and a revolutionary controller. The naming of the console should not matter what so ever. JMHO

And I love the commercial idea that CreatureX came up with in the Official Wii Thread II - Wii will Wii will rock you!

Chris
Old 04-28-06, 11:15 AM
Banned

Even tho im very curious to see how Wii looks and performs and plays, i was casually talking to someone who used to be a video gamer and then just sorta fell off the map. We talked about the name change which he of course, felt was stupid. And then i showed him the articles about madden and how the controls will work for it and so on. His initial responce? "That sucks, your arm is going to get super tired just playing video games". Even tho most gamers have right hands that can break through pure iron, i forsee this as a potential issue, especially with a game thats very demanding in movement.
Old 04-28-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look at it this way, Nintendo can market this as a piece of exercise equipment too.
Old 04-28-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like NintendoRev.
Old 04-28-06, 11:35 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
Even tho most gamers have right hands that can break through pure iron, i forsee this as a potential issue, especially with a game thats very demanding in movement.
I think the success of DDR, Donkey Konga, Guitar Hero etc. kind of assuade these fears.

Yes the fat slob playing Halo 2 online all day isn't going to be interested, but Nintendo knows they aren't going to when over the hardcore "mature" gamers that are big MS or Sony fans.

They want to make money off their fanbase, and try to expand it by brining in non gamers with these new types of gameplay. They've been saying that since the controller was announced.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.