Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Cool. I just figured we would be waiting a while for official announcements vs. confirmed by developers, that's why I was posting. I didn't know you updated the list.

All that matters is that we are both hyped for the system and expecting the best.
Old 05-04-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prices not expected to be announced at E3 for any next gen system yet to launch, sorry buds. I guess we have to wait abit longer.
Old 05-05-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edytwinky
Are they still expecting the price to be around $200?
NES launch: $199
SNES launch: $199
N64 launch: $199
Gamecube launch: $199

Combine this history with Nintendo's comments about being cheaper, the budget hardware, and most people figure: $199.
Old 05-05-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
NES launch: $199
SNES launch: $199
N64 launch: $199
Gamecube launch: $199

Combine this history with Nintendo's comments about being cheaper, the budget hardware, and most people figure: $199.
The N64 originally had a launch price of $249.99. It was only after Sony cut their price to $200 as a pre-emptive measure did Nintendo choose to launch at $200. Just some additional fyi.
Old 05-07-06, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's funny because, when taken in respect to inflation, it just means Nintendo's price keeps going down per console, even though nominally it's been the same.
Old 05-07-06, 05:08 PM

Well, I just got my 160GB USB external HD for $59. now I just need a Wii to go with it... I'm still convinced it will launch in October, so far far away.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 05-07-06 at 05:11 PM.
Old 05-07-06, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Time goes hands-on with the Wii. I don't know if this can be considered E3 spoilers, so read at your own risk. I cannot wait for Tuesday's press conference!

Nintendo gave TIME the first look at its new controller–but before I pick it up, Miyamoto suggests that I remove my jacket. That turns out to be a good idea. The first game I try–Miyamoto walks me through it, which to a gamer is the rough equivalent of getting to trade bons mots with Jerry Seinfeld–is a Warioware title (Wario being Mario’s shorter, fatter evil twin). It consists of dozens of manic five-second mini games in a row. They’re geared to the Japanese gaming sensibility, which has a zany, cartoonish, game-show bent. In one hot minute, I use the controller to swat a fly, do squat-thrusts as a weight lifter, turn a key in a lock, catch a fish, drive a car, sauté some vegetables, balance a broom on my outstretched hand, color in a circle and fence with a foil. And yes, dance the hula. Since very few people outside Nintendo have seen the new hardware, the room is watching me closely.

It’s a remarkable experience. Instead of passively playing the games, with the new controller you physically perform them. You act them out. It’s almost like theater: the fourth wall between game and player dissolves. The sense of immersion–the illusion that you, personally, are projected into the game world–is powerful. And there’s an instant party atmosphere in the room. One advantage of the new controller is that it not only is fun, it looks fun. When you play with an old-style controller, you look like a loser, a blank-eyed joystick fondler. But when you’re jumping around and shaking your hulamaker, everybody’s having a good time.

After Warioware, we play scenes from the upcoming Legend of Zelda title, Twilight Princess, a moody, dark (by Nintendo’s Disneyesque standards) fantasy adventure. Now I’m Errol Flynn, sword fighting with the controller, then aiming a bow and arrow, then using it as a fishing rod, reeling in a stubborn virtual fish. The third game, and probably the most fun, is also the simplest: tennis. The controller becomes a racket, and I’m smacking forehands and stroking backhands. The sensors are fine enough that you can scoop under the ball to lob it, or slice it for spin. At the end, I don’t so much put the controller down as have it pried from my hands.

John Schappert, a senior vice president at Electronic Arts, is overseeing a version of the venerable Madden football series for Nintendo’s new hardware. He sees the controller from the auteur’s perspective, as an opportunity but also a huge challenge. “Our engineers now have to decipher what the user is doing,” he says. “‘Is that a throw gesture? Is it a juke? A stiff arm?’ Everyone knows how to make a throwing motion, but we all have our own unique way of throwing.” But consider the upside: you’re basically playing football in your living room. “To snap the ball, you ’snap’ the remote back toward your body, which hikes the ball,” Schappert says. “No buttons to press, just gesture a hiking motion, and the ball’s in the hands of the QB. To pass the ball, you gesture a throwing motion. Hard, fast gestures result in bullet passes. Slower, less forceful, gestures result in loftier, slower lob passes. It truly plays like nothing you’ve ever experienced.”

But the name Wii not wii-thstanding, Nintendo has grasped two important notions that have eluded its competitors. The first is, Don’t listen to your customers. The hard-core gaming community is extremely vocal–they blog a lot–but if Nintendo kept listening to them, hard-core gamers would be the only audience it ever had. “[Wii] was unimaginable for them,” Iwata says. “And because it was unimaginable, they could not say that they wanted it. If you are simply listening to requests from the customer, you can satisfy their needs, but you can never surprise them. Sony and Microsoft make daily-necessity kinds of things. They have to listen to the needs of the customers and try to comply with their requests. That kind of approach has been deeply ingrained in their minds.”
Old 05-07-06, 09:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It looks like Twilight Princess is going to make full use of the Wii. Use of the Wii controller isn't just some add-on. Awesome!
Old 05-07-06, 11:24 PM

I can't recall; are the controller's sensors electronic or physical? I'm hoping they are heavy duty either way. I can see many hardcore tennis lessons or sword fights taking its toll on the controller.
Old 05-08-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
From this moment on, any time Nintendo does something that seems to not make sense, I can just tell myself: they're trying to surprise me. Their competitors listen to their customers? How dare them!
Old 05-08-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
That article sounds amazing. I love Warioware, and can't wait to get my hands on it. It's shaping up to be everything I had hoped for.
Old 05-08-06, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
From this moment on, any time Nintendo does something that seems to not make sense, I can just tell myself: they're trying to surprise me. Their competitors listen to their customers? How dare them!
I think they mean that they don't listen exclusively to their core customers.

Nintendo has always been the company to push things forward to seek out new markets, and find ways to make the overall gaming market bigger. They often introduce things to gaming that are mimicked by other companies.

The stagnation we have now is a legacy of the PS2 era. I'm not knocking the console, I've had one since day one. But the endless stream of sequels with limited innovation has stagnated things. Hell, aside from the analog nature of all the buttons on the controllers, the PS2 dual shocks are the same as the PS1's. I thought there would be so much more done with that capability but there really hasn't been any.

Wii sure sounds like it will completely change things in a huge huge way.
Old 05-08-06, 08:41 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been excited for this, but... damn. This thing is going to own all competitors.
Old 05-08-06, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Wii sure sounds like it will completely change things in a huge huge way.
Would you go so far as to say it will be a gaming "Revolution"?
Old 05-08-06, 10:42 AM

A new article in this week's Time Magazine gives a glimpse at the Wii, confirming a new Warioware title, sword fighting with the controller in the upcoming Zelda game, and a tennis title.

As far as the last one goes, just reading about how you can actually hit under the ball for lobs, slice at it for spins, etc. is just amazing.
Old 05-08-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 920 Likes on 653 Posts
Originally Posted by DavePack

As far as the last one goes, just reading about how you can actually hit under the ball for lobs, slice at it for spins, etc. is just amazing.
I saw that too. Sounds incredible.
Old 05-08-06, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

24 hours to go until I'm completely useless at work all week.
Old 05-08-06, 11:22 AM

Release list updated.
Old 05-08-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New WarioWare?

With three brothers, that's a perfect game to purchase. I cannot wait for Wii
Old 05-08-06, 12:18 PM
tpc

Is anyone else over the Wii name, already? I thought I truly hated it, but after sitting on it a week, I realized I don't care at all, as long as some of these games deliver on their promise.
Old 05-08-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,059 Posts
The name doesn't "sound" stupid when I write it, it still sounds stupid when I say it, especially since you have to repeat it and then explain it to everyone.

So as long as I don't have to say it out loud I'm fine with it.
Old 05-08-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tpc
Is anyone else over the Wii name, already? I thought I truly hated it, but after sitting on it a week, I realized I don't care at all, as long as some of these games deliver on their promise.
You mean the Revolution? I refuse to speak the other name!
Old 05-08-06, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tenaciousdave
You mean the Revolution? I refuse to speak the other name!
Lord Vold-Wii-Mort?
Old 05-08-06, 02:15 PM

The Nintendo press conference officially kicks off on May 9 at 9:30am Pacific Standard Time in Los Angeles, California. For those curious about when the show begins in your particular time zone, N-Sider has compiled a list of times and familiar cities for you to reference.
09:30am - Los Angeles, Seattle
10:30am - Denver, Phoenix
11:30am - Mexico City, Dallas, Chicago
12:30pm - Detroit, Washington D.C., New York, Montreal
01:30pm - Caracas
02:30pm - Buenos Aires, Rio De Janeiro
05:30pm - Lisbon, London
06:30pm - Madrid, Paris, Amsterdam, Rome, Berlin
07:30pm - Athens, Helsinki, Cairo, Beirut
08:30pm - Moscow, Kuwait
09:30pm - Baku, Abu Dhabi, Kabul
10:30pm - New Delhi
11:30pm - Colombo, Dhaka
12:30am - Jakarta, Bangkok
01:30am - Hong Kong, Beijing, Singapore
02:30am - Tokyo, Seoul
03:30am - Sydney
05:30am - Aukland
07:30am - Honolulu
08:30am - Anchorage

Viewable here:
* GameTrailers.com
* GameSpot.com
* Nintendo.com
* E3Insider.com
Old 05-08-06, 04:02 PM

Downhill Jam Screenshots. Def. running on GC hardware:
http://www.e3insider.com/images/?typ...eID=2QF45JF4HA

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.