Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 924 Likes on 656 Posts
I can more than accept the system not being true HD if all games are 480p and Anamorphic.

I would love to see a return of a second controller to the system. Especially if it runs $250. I will be the only one of my friends getting one, so it would be nice to have an extra one to show off the system.
Old 05-09-06, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sensor bar

can't really tell how its powered
Old 05-09-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sureAV421
sensor bar

can't really tell how its powered

From the console.
Old 05-09-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffdsmith
From the console.
Are you sure? I thought it was magic.
Old 05-09-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
That placement isn't very good for anyone who has a center speaker on/above their TV. I wonder how flexible the placement can be...
Old 05-09-06, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The placement of the sensor bar seems to be quite flexible. If you look closely it's on the floor in one of those pictures.
Old 05-09-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Binger
A couple of questions that I have not seen but are probably here. How does this thing connect to the TV, component, S-Video, what?

Also will it display 16:9, even though it is not 720p/1080i-p? Current gen (XBox, PS2) have a setting for 16:9 but the games don't really support it so I have black bars on one side of my screen even in stretch modes on some games.

Does the motion sensor have to be placed on top of the TV? My components are 15ft away from my display so I would need a pretty long cord.
Well the pictures above show a 16:9 TV, although the are artists renderings..
Old 05-09-06, 02:49 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
That placement isn't very good for anyone who has a center speaker on/above their TV. I wonder how flexible the placement can be...
I imagine you could sit it on top of the speaker. Hopefully anyway.

Though it doesn't affect me as my center is on the top of my entertainment center a few inches above the TV and I should have enough room between the top of the TV and that shelf to fit the censor.
Old 05-09-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was very impressed with the Wii presentation. The system looks like it's going to be a huge multiplayer party machine! I can't wait to play. Plus Mario Galaxy looks amazing!
Old 05-09-06, 03:55 PM
tpc

Here are my only concerns with the Wii. Fill me in if we know these.

1) Will games also offer a more traditional form of gameplay? You know, for those times you don't feel like jumping around like monkey?

2) What's the price point?(I know we don't know this yet)

3) Why was there no mention of GC- backwards compatibility? Did I miss this?
Old 05-09-06, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by STR1PES
those are not Wii screenshots....

they are of the Nintendo DS lite......it's been confirmed on a lot of sites....

Microsoft fanboys & Sony Fanboys have been trying to tell people it's the Wii though

Source?
Old 05-09-06, 08:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ckw4b
After reading the Time article, I am getting a chubby just thinking about playing RE5 with the new Nintendo controller.
I hate to burst your bubble, but RE5 will be PS3/360 only. The makers of RE will be doing an exclusive original game for the Wii.
Old 05-09-06, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad they're trying to create new franchise, but hitting dudes with a hammer and driving a truck aint it. Those would suck even if they were combined into one.

Last edited by lukewarmwater; 05-09-06 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-09-06, 09:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hitting dudes with trucks shaped like hammers wouldn't be good?

*Throws away plans for "Hammer Truck Smash 9000!"*

Old 05-09-06, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's the info that was on Nintendo's press "Fact Sheet".

FACT SHEET

Wii™ CONSOLE DETAILS

Launch Date and MSRP: Q4 2006 ($TBA)

Controls: Intuitive control for anyone using the physical motion of the main Wii Remote, which resembles a television remote control. Up to four Wii Remotes can be connected at once using wireless Bluetooth technology. The wireless signal can be detected within 10 meters of the console. Both the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers include a three-axis motion sensor. The Wii Remote also includes a speaker, rumble feature and expansion port, and can be used as a pointer within 5 meters of the screen. The Wii Remote has a power switch, plus pad, A, B, Minus, Home, 1 and 2 buttons. The Nunchuk controller includes an analog control stick and C and Z buttons.

The Look: Wii features a compact design that will make it a natural addition to any television setup. It can be displayed either vertically or horizontally.

Color: TBA

Media: A single self-loading media bay will play single- or double-layered 12-centimeter optical discs for Wii, as well as 8-centimeter Nintendo GameCube™ discs.

Communication: Wii can communicate with the Internet even when the power is turned off. This “WiiConnect24” service delivers a new surprise or game update, even if users do not play with Wii. Users can connect wirelessly using IEEE802.11b/g, or with a USB 2.0 LAN adaptor. Wii also can communicate wirelessly with Nintendo DS™.

Virtual Console: Wii will have downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released for Nintendo® 64, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System® (SNES) and even – more –
the Nintendo Entertainment System® (NES). The Virtual Console also will feature a “best of” selection from Sega Genesis titles and games from the TurboGrafx console (a system jointly developed by NEC and Hudson). It also will be home to new games conceived by indie developers whose creativity is larger than their budgets.

The Specs: Wii has 512 megabytes of internal flash memory, two USB 2.0 ports and built-in Wi-Fi capability. A bay for an SD memory card will let players expand the internal flash memory. Design was optimized with state-of-the-art processing technologies that minimize power consumption, keep the console compact and enable the “sleepless” WiiConnect24 mode.

CPU: PowerPC CPU (code-named “Broadway”)
Made with a 90 nm SOI CMOS process, jointly developed with and manufactured by IBM.

Graphics Processing Unit: Being developed with ATI

Other Features: Four ports for classic Nintendo GameCube controllers. Two slots for Nintendo GameCube Memory Cards. An AV Multi-output port for component, composite or S-video.

Last edited by UWSarge; 05-09-06 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Hitting dudes with trucks shaped like hammers wouldn't be good?

*Throws away plans for "Hammer Truck Smash 9000!"*

You mean

Project H.A.M.M.E.R. T.R.U.C.K. 9000
Old 05-10-06, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Im a little confused by something. Ive seen the remote-looking controller for the Wii, but I saw this picture in another thread. What is it?

Is it another controller you can use instead of the remote-looking one? Or is in addition to that?
Old 05-10-06, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Im a little confused by something. Ive seen the remote-looking controller for the Wii, but I saw this picture in another thread. What is it?

Is it another controller you can use instead of the remote-looking one? Or is in addition to that?
This my friend is an option for the Virtual Console. Plug this baby in and you've got a controller for the NES, SNES, N64, etc. right at your fingertips...
Old 05-10-06, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks!
Old 05-10-06, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm still fairly excited by Wii, but I agree the games all look like GameCube games. Probably has more to do with developers being limited by the early development kits. I'm betting later games will look a bit better (not going to touch 360 games though). If it is $250 they had better include some free virtual games or something.

PS3 and 360 have my interest as well, but I doubt I will take the plunge on those this year. PS3 is just way too expensive for a game console and 360 still has a library too limited for my tastes. I like Xbox Live Arcade, but compared to the online library the Wii will have its not going to win me over.

Last edited by darkside; 05-10-06 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-10-06, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I heard the Wii was referred to as "Gamecube Turbo" or something, I thought the Wii had 2/3 times the power of the 'Cube? Then again its not always about having the best graphics, we cant have seen all the Wii can do in terms of graphics.
The PS3 seems very expensive.
Old 05-10-06, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
This my friend is an option for the Virtual Console. Plug this baby in and you've got a controller for the NES, SNES, N64, etc. right at your fingertips...
My question is why did they include a wire on it? I'm sure it will be wireless as well.

Speaking of, I'm interested in learning how the remotes wll recharge.
Old 05-10-06, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm still fairly excited by Wii, but I agree the games all look like GameCube games. Probably has more to do with developers being limited by the early development kits. I'm betting later games will look a bit better (not going to touch 360 games though). If it is $250 they had better include some free virtual games or something.
Indeed, the graphics (for most of the games) do not look far beyond the Gamecube games. As you suspect, its likely a result of early development kits, but there are some other considerations as well.

1. All the games were shown at 480P, hopefully nintendo has said "This is a standard feature."
2. We shouldn't be surprised to much by the graphics, even if they don't improve much soon, the system is lke 1/10th the size of the PS3. It is not going to be a case of where the Gamecube looked a good as Xbox despite being so much smaller and less power hungry.

All in all I am very optimistic about all three systems. As stupid as it may sound, it seems like Sony may have the hardest time getting a foothold. If Sony and MS were smart, they would leave nintendo alone to bring in new gamers that will evntually purchase ther products as well.

Some some random thoughts...
Old 05-10-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The graphics weren't going to get much better unless they broke into HD, this shouldn't be a huge surprise to anyone.
Old 05-10-06, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Duck Hunt?! I can't access this but that's the headline:

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/706/706955p1.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.