Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
bleh, I notice I am not using magic too much. I feel that come end game I am going to be smoked because of my lack of magic skills doh.
Naw, you'll be fine. My guys completely magic-retarded and I still managed to beat the game. I don't think having magic skills would have made it any easier.
Old 09-08-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

cool thanks.

More random thoughts that bug me.

When I am in the wilderness, usually the grass is very tall..and if its a animal, I can hear them..but can't see them. frustrating!
Old 09-08-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

on the pc the grass height or density, can't remember which, can be turrnd down
I did it for performance
Old 05-05-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm trying to play this game again for the third time and I just can't get into it! I can't figure out why, because I love Fallout 3 and have played it twice all the way through.

Anyone else have this issue? Is all the book reading necessary or strictly flavor? And I hate when you're supposed to follow someone, they will walk out of their house and just stand there for two or three in game hours.
Old 05-05-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm trying to play this game again for the third time and I just can't get into it! I can't figure out why, because I love Fallout 3 and have played it twice all the way through.

Anyone else have this issue? Is all the book reading necessary or strictly flavor? And I hate when you're supposed to follow someone, they will walk out of their house and just stand there for two or three in game hours.
First off, don’t bother reading any of the books in the game unless they are valuable (some >$60 books will give you a skill point for opening them). Books are a good source of money early on though.

I recently played this game and got all but one achievement in a months time. Before I played at all, I read through the 2 threads here and glossed over some FAQs for build ideas. I did a custom class and think I would have gotten very frustrated a few hours in had I not researched my decisions first. Though, I am the type of player to save before every major decision and see what each choice gets me and level grinding doesn't bother me much. There are a few key items that will make some aspects of the game much less frustrating. For the love of all that is holy and pure, get the skeleton key once you hit level 10 and never get rid of it. Also, there are some insanely helpful wiki sites dedicated to this game.

If you are having a hard time getting into it, maybe you should try the Dark Brotherhood Questline (just kill an innocent person and then go to sleep). It was the most entertaining quest line IMO.
Old 05-05-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangecrush
If you are having a hard time getting into it, maybe you should try the Dark Brotherhood Questline (just kill an innocent person and then go to sleep). It was the most entertaining quest line IMO.
This. The Dark Brotherhood questline was by far the most entertaining. If that doesn't hook you then the game simply isn't for you at all.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I'm actually the complete opposite. I hated Fallout 3 and never made it through the game at all - yet I had around 100 hours on my Oblivion save.
Old 07-18-10, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was playing on the PS3 last night and once again an odd phenomenon that I've seen once before. I had put on some armor (dwarven I believe) from some guys that I had killed and my armor number was like 48. I then went directly to a town via fast travel to sell my old armor and noticed that my armor rating was down to like 38 even though I hadn't been in any battles and the condition or the armor was the same. Is it a bug or is their some reason for this?
Edit-Never mind I'm an idiot, I realized I had a two handed weapon equipped thus I didn't have a shield equipped which is why my armor rating dropped so much.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 07-19-10 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-26-10, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've started another game. On the PC this time just to check it out. First time I've done PC gaming in a long time. But all the mods for this game, all the weapons and custom houses and the like, I had to check it out.

Man this game rocks. Never gets old.
Old 08-26-10, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I've started another game. On the PC this time just to check it out. First time I've done PC gaming in a long time. But all the mods for this game, all the weapons and custom houses and the like, I had to check it out.

Man this game rocks. Never gets old.
I was just playing again a month or so ago, here's a list of the mods I used.

Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul
Wilderness Creatures
Natural Wildlife
Darker nights
Darker Dungeons
Natural Habitat
Natural Vegitation
Natural Weather
Natural Environment
Water Reflection Blur
Younger Hotter NPCs
Illumination without and within
Landscape LOD texture replacement

I finished the main quest years ago, so this time I avoided Kvatch to keep the gates from popping up everywhere and ruining the scenery.
Old 08-26-10, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you ever done the exotic weapons and armor, that house way up in the sky above the clouds? Stuff like that?
Old 08-26-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you ever done the exotic weapons and armor, that house way up in the sky above the clouds? Stuff like that?

No changes with the weapons but I did do the Volengrad Castle mod once upon a time. The Volengrad Castle is pretty cool.
Old 09-16-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man I've loved going through this again.

I've got Goldbrand, the best sword in the game for my money, the Escutcheon of Chorrol, the best shield, I shopped a ton of Sigil stones(save just before taking it and load again for a different stone each time to get the good ones), enchanted two pieces of armor with the feather 125 points stone, I'm decked in Daedric head to toe, and now I'm doing Shivering Isles. I've got like 10 Sigil stones of frost, fire, and shock to make weapons with.

What a blast. I had never played as a vampire, but I did this time and loved it. I was a vampire most of the game and that rocked. All the extra power after days with no feeding really helps early on.

I've found a ton of mods on that 'official' mod site, and I'm going to deck it out with the natural stuff where you can see in and out of windows, and bunch of houses, and forts, and castles. I've already found a ton of weapons and armor I'm gonna add, etc. Decided to do that next time through.
Old 09-16-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man I've loved going through this again.

I've got Goldbrand, the best sword in the game for my money, the Escutcheon of Chorrol, the best shield, I shopped a ton of Sigil stones(save just before taking it and load again for a different stone each time to get the good ones), enchanted two pieces of armor with the feather 125 points stone, I'm decked in Daedric head to toe, and now I'm doing Shivering Isles. I've got like 10 Sigil stones of frost, fire, and shock to make weapons with.

What a blast. I had never played as a vampire, but I did this time and loved it. I was a vampire most of the game and that rocked. All the extra power after days with no feeding really helps early on.

I've found a ton of mods on that 'official' mod site, and I'm going to deck it out with the natural stuff where you can see in and out of windows, and bunch of houses, and forts, and castles. I've already found a ton of weapons and armor I'm gonna add, etc. Decided to do that next time through.
I found I could make much more powerful weapons w/ soul gems than sigil stones. I have a bow that will drop anything save a couple of bosses on the just above medium setting w/ 2 or 3 hits and a few different swords that will do the same.
Old 09-16-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Man...seeing this thread again just makes me wish even more that Bethesda has some news about TES5 soon.

Having not played many PC games prior, Morrowind will probably always be my most memorable gaming experience. Obivion was a better game overall but I knew what to expect going into it. The first time I stepped into the world of Morrowind, my mind was blown in the way a 5 year-old would look going to Disney World for the first time.
Old 09-16-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I found I could make much more powerful weapons w/ soul gems than sigil stones. I have a bow that will drop anything save a couple of bosses on the just above medium setting w/ 2 or 3 hits and a few different swords that will do the same.
You can't, not even with grand gems. The Sigil will have more reservoir and thus more uses, and more uses with a higher level of damage. You just have to 'shop' the stones and close quite a few gates to get the good ones.

For instance. With a grand soul gem you can enchant a piece of armor with 49 feather points, the Sigil will do it at 125. With a grand soul gem you can enchant armor with +20(IIRC) magicka, the Sigil will do it at +50. Etc. Also, with a Sigil you can make a weapon that takes 25 points of their life and gives it to you with each strike, for instance, meaning during combat you are gaining life while stealing theirs. Hard to beat that when you're swinging a sword/axe/mace against numerous attackers.

I use master alchemy to make weapons deadly. Mix a poison of 8 health damage for 30 seconds, 9 fire damage for 30 seconds, 80 burden points for 30 seconds, and 15 magicka damage for 30 seconds. Put that potion on the weapon and hit them once. Then just keep away. Everything but an Ogre or a Minotaur Lord will go down with one hit.
Old 09-16-10, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Found this the other day.....

Nehrim

Nehrim - This is a fan-developed game with the aspiration to be able to compete with full-grown commercial RPGs. With an estimated playing time of 50 hours, over 60 Quests and thoroughly synchronized dialogues by professional voice actors, new weapons, armor, spells, races, models, video-sequences, specially composed new music and much more, this does not seem that far-fetched.
Looks interesting....gonna download it and check it out.
Old 09-16-10, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

My brother told me about a "secret" project Bethesda was supposedly close to completing. He is hoping it will be Elder Scrolls 5 but nothing has been released to the public. Here's hoping that this is what they're working on.
Old 09-17-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL

I'd be more than happy to get sucked into another 130+ hrs of gameplay for the next Elder Scrolls. Here's hoping it's coming.
Old 09-17-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't, not even with grand gems. The Sigil will have more reservoir and thus more uses, and more uses with a higher level of damage. You just have to 'shop' the stones and close quite a few gates to get the good ones.

For instance. With a grand soul gem you can enchant a piece of armor with 49 feather points, the Sigil will do it at 125. With a grand soul gem you can enchant armor with +20(IIRC) magicka, the Sigil will do it at +50. Etc. Also, with a Sigil you can make a weapon that takes 25 points of their life and gives it to you with each strike, for instance, meaning during combat you are gaining life while stealing theirs. Hard to beat that when you're swinging a sword/axe/mace against numerous attackers.

I use master alchemy to make weapons deadly. Mix a poison of 8 health damage for 30 seconds, 9 fire damage for 30 seconds, 80 burden points for 30 seconds, and 15 magicka damage for 30 seconds. Put that potion on the weapon and hit them once. Then just keep away. Everything but an Ogre or a Minotaur Lord will go down with one hit.
But with soul Gems, you can do stacking effects, like 33 fire damage, 100% weakness to fire for 3 seconds, soul trap 2 seconds (I would have to look up the actual numbers I used) and your second and third hit do massive damage.
Old 09-17-10, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Setzer
Found this the other day.....

Nehrim

Looks interesting....gonna download it and check it out.
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out as well. Just started playing Risen so it may be a while before I get to it.
Old 09-17-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But with soul Gems, you can do stacking effects, like 33 fire damage, 100% weakness to fire for 3 seconds, soul trap 2 seconds (I would have to look up the actual numbers I used) and your second and third hit do massive damage.
I see. Yeah I guess you could just do like 80 fire damage and only have 5 uses too. So technically you could make a more powerful weapon with damage, but not with armor/jewelry enchantment.

I have a fire spell I use constantly that does 80 fire damage, with 100% weakness to fire for 5 seconds. Goldbrand has fire enchantment. That spell works great. Then I hit them with my drain health 100 points for 10 seconds spell, and follow up with my own 'Wizard's Fury' spell of 45 frost, 45 fire, 45 shock damage. Not much survives that stuff for long. Those are my 3 spells I use for damage.

I'm loving the Shivering Isles, it's my first time through. I made a Perfect Amber Sword, and Sigil'd it to 25 shock damage with 70 uses(for the Gnarls so I avoid fire), and it's bad ass. It does as much damage as Goldbrand(but it's heavier), and it's one handed like Goldbrand so you can use the shield. Both do 3 points less damage than a Daedric War Hammer repaired to 125, 30 damage. Yet they're fast and you can use the shield. I still think that golden toned katana Goldbrand may look better. I also made the other sword in Crucible with the Madness Ore, but did it with a Matrix Box so it's does health damage, I'm going to make another of those and enchant it with a Sigil stone too. Made the axe, the Claymore. They look bad ass. That Amber and Madness Ore armor looks terrific too. I think I'm gonna make a suit, and just settle for less feather and magicka, and the loss of that awesome reflect damage 35% on the Escutcheon of Choral shield, and suit up in that and use Grand Soul Gems to enchant it back to 2 feather, 2 strength, one magicka, and reflect damage on the shield.

With the Mundane and Sunfire rings on and the Spelldrinker Amulet, I'm almost immune to magic. I've got a combined 60% reflect spell, 50 resistance to magic, and 25% absorb the spell. So most of the time they cast a spell and they catch on fire or the like, or my magicka goes full.

Loving going back through this. Been a while.
Old 09-17-10, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see. Yeah I guess you could just do like 80 fire damage and only have 5 uses too. So technically you could make a more powerful weapon with damage, but not with armor/jewelry enchantment.

I have a fire spell I use constantly that does 80 fire damage, with 100% weakness to fire for 5 seconds. Goldbrand has fire enchantment. That spell works great. Then I hit them with my drain health 100 points for 10 seconds spell, and follow up with my own 'Wizard's Fury' spell of 45 frost, 45 fire, 45 shock damage. Not much survives that stuff for long. Those are my 3 spells I use for damage.

I'm loving the Shivering Isles, it's my first time through. I made a Perfect Amber Sword, and Sigil'd it to 25 shock damage with 70 uses(for the Gnarls so I avoid fire), and it's bad ass. It does as much damage as Goldbrand(but it's heavier), and it's one handed like Goldbrand so you can use the shield. Both do 3 points less damage than a Daedric War Hammer repaired to 125, 30 damage. Yet they're fast and you can use the shield. I still think that golden toned katana Goldbrand may look better. I also made the other sword in Crucible with the Madness Ore, but did it with a Matrix Box so it's does health damage, I'm going to make another of those and enchant it with a Sigil stone too. Made the axe, the Claymore. They look bad ass. That Amber and Madness Ore armor looks terrific too. I think I'm gonna make a suit, and just settle for less feather and magicka, and the loss of that awesome reflect damage 35% on the Escutcheon of Choral shield, and suit up in that and use Grand Soul Gems to enchant it back to 2 feather, 2 strength, one magicka, and reflect damage on the shield.

With the Mundane and Sunfire rings on and the Spelldrinker Amulet, I'm almost immune to magic. I've got a combined 60% reflect spell, 50 resistance to magic, and 25% absorb the spell. So most of the time they cast a spell and they catch on fire or the like, or my magicka goes full.

Loving going back through this. Been a while.
You have to have the star that acts as a soul gem to use my weapon with any regularity. I think I actually have 12 charges. Reading your post makes me want to go back and finish up the one achievement I haven't gotten yet (you have to save before a certain choice in the Shivering Isles and make the other choice to get it). Have you tried having 100% chameleon yet. It is pretty great to wear the thieves mask and never worry about the guards being called to you, or killing a guard while his partner stands there doing nothing.
Old 09-17-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't worry about a super powerful weapon... I simply had like 150% chameleon on all my equipment. Then I backstabbed enemies and my equipment immediately made me "invisible" again. Which meant I simply just backstabbed again... over and over till the thing died. This method also meant I never ever took damage.
Old 09-18-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For F's sake.
Old 09-20-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I didn't worry about a super powerful weapon... I simply had like 150% chameleon on all my equipment. Then I backstabbed enemies and my equipment immediately made me "invisible" again. Which meant I simply just backstabbed again... over and over till the thing died. This method also meant I never ever took damage.
That sounds like Invisability. With chameleon, you are invisable no matter what you do.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.