Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The thieves guild is worth doing for the award alone. It makes many other things in the game easier imo.
Old 10-14-06, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just wasn't sure if I would be "able" to do it, since sneaking and thievory are not my thing this time.
Old 10-14-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jon-w9
I just wasn't sure if I would be "able" to do it, since sneaking and thievory are not my thing this time.
I was pretty much a straight up warrior, and I was able to finish the Thieves Guild, and I don't remember having TOO much trouble with it.
Old 11-17-06, 10:51 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Forgive the bump, but this appears to be the most recent thread.

Just bought my 360 and this game. I'm not a big RPGer, totally new to this series/world.

I'd hate to log dozens of hours in it and then realize that I picked the wrong class or something.

Any good primer sites or tips?

Also, I have an unopened Xbox Morrorwind, same series, right? Should I play that first?
Old 11-17-06, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I'd hate to log dozens of hours in it and then realize that I picked the wrong class or something.
You can't really pick a wrong class. Oblivion is so customizable that there are hundreds of possible character types you can create. The game is perfectly beatable with any of them. Of course, some types will be easier to play than others. A straight up warrior will be easier for beginners than playing a pure mage for instance.

Any good primer sites or tips?
The Oblivion Wiki. This site has tons of info and tips for the game.

Also, I have an unopened Xbox Morrorwind, same series, right? Should I play that first?
Yes Morrowind is an Elder Scrolls game. You don't have to play Morrowind first, as each Elder Scrolls game is its own distinct game much like the Final Fantasy series. IMO, Oblivion is a much much better game, and I find Morrowind to be a chore to play after experiencing Oblivion.
Old 11-19-06, 06:55 PM

Thanks KG!

Great wikisite.

I started Oblivion the other night and am totally hooked.
Old 11-23-06, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone else download the 'Knights of Nine' expansion? I got it as I'm finished with everything 'cept Main Quest / Thieves Guild. It's an interesting expansion, but sort of feels tacked on in a lot of ways.
Old 11-23-06, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd play Morrowind for a few days just so you can be glad of how beautiful and easy to play Oblivion is. Not that Morrowind is bad, but Oblivion is better.
Old 11-23-06, 10:14 AM
Mok

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Anyone else download the 'Knights of Nine' expansion? I got it as I'm finished with everything 'cept Main Quest / Thieves Guild. It's an interesting expansion, but sort of feels tacked on in a lot of ways.
How long did it take you to finish it ? They claimed 10 hours.
Old 11-23-06, 01:08 PM

Nowhere near 10 hours.
If you fast travel everywhere, it'll take at most three hours.
Reward and armor is not all that great either.

I love Oblivion, but the expansion is a massive letdown.
Old 11-23-06, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sold my copy months ago. I'd rebuy if a true full expansion comes out.
Old 11-23-06, 04:15 PM

The expansion really isn't worth it - I'm not sure how they can charge $20 bucks for the retail version. I'll eagerly await a true expansion, that really does deliver another 30 hours or so of gameplay.
Old 12-21-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Free Oblivion Download Announced

For a limited time, Mehrunes Razor, a downloadable addition to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, will be available on Xbox Live for free. The promtion will start this Friday, December 22 and continuing until the new year begins. On January 1, Mehrunes Razor will go back to its regular price.

The Mehrunes Razor download gives players access to a new quest complete with magic items, new books, and a massive dungeon to explore. This isn't as expansive of a download as the recently released Knights of the Nine, but it certainly is better than horse armor.

IGN.com
Old 12-22-06, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So if you download Knights of the Nine, does it include all of the previous downloads? How much is it total?

I havent downloaded any yet.
Old 12-22-06, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Knights of the Nine is a single download. Each of the previous must be purchased seperately UNLESS you are DL'ing it for PC...there is a KotN bundle. At least grab the Mehrunes for free while it is available.
Old 12-23-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, I downloaded the Razor in case I start playing again.

How do you initiate the quest?
Just wondering, I haven't purchased any add-ons for the game.
Thanks.
Old 12-23-06, 01:15 PM

Guess I'll download the Razor just in case.
Old 12-23-06, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just in case: if you only have a 360 (like me) and NOT an original xbox, don't bother opening Morrowind because the 360 is not compatible with it yet. Not sure if it ever will be, only Microsoft knows...
Old 12-24-06, 07:28 PM

Well, I downloaded it and couldn't even bother to finish the quest. Maybe I am just burned out (logged in 100 hours into Oblivion, finsihed all guilds / main quest) - but the little things just annoyed me to no end. Plus, I played the whole game without being bit by a vampire, download this quest and within five mintues, I was friggin' bit. Lost all interest right then.
Old 12-29-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Need advice on some custom class builds

Got the game for xmas and I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment. Definitely seems like there is a lot to this game.

Anyway, I have a few custom class builds in mind and would like some advice/opinions on them. I don't necessarily want to power level through this game however I don't want to gimp myself in the long run either. I've been doing a lot of reading about the leveling scale issue so I know not to take athletics, acrobatics, etc. as major skills but rather those that you can control, blades, hvy armor, etc.

Ok, here are my custom classes...

Warlock

Concept: Mage that can hold it's own in battle. Definitely prefers magic over weapon use but can swing a mean mace. I guess it's like the Battlemage.

Mage
INT, WIL
Blunt, Light Armor, Destruction, Mysticism, Conjuration, Alteration, Restoration

Concerns: Should I take Block as a major? Drop Light Armor?

Templar

Concept: Fighter-mage character, more combat orientated that supplements with spells. Kind of inbetween your typical Paladin and Shadowknight, not necessarily good, not necessarily evil. More like a zealot, using all means necessary to spread ideals, beliefs, etc.

Combat
STR, END
Blade, Heavy Armor, Block, Destruction, Alteration, Armorer, Restoration

Concerns: Should I take Speechcraft as a major?

Nightstalker

Concept: Fighter-mage-thief character. Mainly sticks to the shadows and then unleashes chaos, definitely prefers not to go toe-to-toe with enemies, supplements thieving skills with magic.

Stealth
SPD, AGI
Blade, Light Armor, Marksman, Security, Illusion, Alteration,

Concerns: Deciding between Conjuration or Mercantile?

Thanks for your time!
Old 12-29-06, 02:23 PM
Banned

Yeah, stuff like acrobatics and athletics are a waste to take as a major skill. All they do is let you run slightly faster and jump slightly higher. Big whooping deal.

Personally, I also find the speech and bartering skills such as Speechcraft and Mercantile to be useless too. There is way more than enough money in the game. I had like 60,000 gold 20 hours into the game, and I literally stopped collecting loot after that. I played for another 100 hours and never spent all my money.

If you want to be an effective magic user, you shouldn't wear armor. The heavier the armor you wear, the more it negatively affects your magic casting. Ie spells do less damage if you wear armor. A mage should wear robes to be 100% effective. There are shield spells you can use to get some armor protection without the negative penalty.
Old 12-29-06, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played through the game as a custom class focusing on thieving with some mage skills (destruction and illusion if i recall correctly) and it worked out very well. Being a thief at a low level you don't want much armor, if any, so it works with the magic. Remember - when sneaking at a low level don't wear any shoes - until you level up stealth they detract from your sneakiness.

Also, do the Thieves Guild storyline first, very helpful for the other quests. Don't even join the mage guild until you finish the thief one.
Old 12-29-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If your mage was to have a blunt skill, I would pick something like blade as a primary. Then you can swing a mace and not level too quickly.

I think it would be hard to have a lot of strenth for the mace, and have high magic ability, but I am not sure, as I never played a spell caster.

My second character I used primary skills other than the ones I wanted to build. I also beat the game at level 5. I have about 10+ levels I can get, just need to sleep. I am waiting to get my 5 training per level before I go up now.
Old 12-30-06, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
Well, I downloaded it and couldn't even bother to finish the quest. Maybe I am just burned out (logged in 100 hours into Oblivion, finsihed all guilds / main quest) - but the little things just annoyed me to no end. Plus, I played the whole game without being bit by a vampire, download this quest and within five mintues, I was friggin' bit. Lost all interest right then.
Bump to remind people to get this free download before it goes back up.

Also, getting bit by a vampire is no big deal as long as you go pray at a temple within 24 hours, right?
Old 12-30-06, 09:42 AM

No clue, I was under the impression that being bit by a vampire required a seperate quest, therefor I always avoided it. Either way, I'm all Oblivion'ed out. Was a great game, but don't think I can go through it ever again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.