Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Elder Scrolls Oblivion Thread: Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Is the closing of Oblivion Gates part of the main quest?
Old 05-12-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
Originally Posted by lopper
Is the closing of Oblivion Gates part of the main quest?
Yes, but there also a bunch of random gates which will open up across the land which have nothing to do with the story.
Old 05-12-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blade
Hope that wasn't too overwhelming and that it made sense and answered some of your questions.

Have fun, and browse over the game manual every now and then. It starts making more sense after you put some time into the game.
You rock my friend. You should sell that to the RPG-retarded. That answers damn near all my questions and at least should get me through the next couple progressions before there are all new questions. Thanks again, that was extremely helpful to me.
Old 05-12-06, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep in mind that your character can become quickly underpowered if you're only leveling up your major skills, and overpowered if you're only leveling up your minor skills.

My character is currently overpowered, but that's because I started out underpowered. I have blade, light armor, speechcraft and mercantile as major skills, and they level up pretty quickly without even trying. I quickly became underpowered so I stopped going on quests and worked on leveling up my minor skills like all of the schools of magic (except destruction since it's one of my major skills), sneak, etc.

I'm currently working on the Fighter's Guild quests. I finished the Mages' Guild and The Arena quests, and I'm at the Bruma Oblivion gate in the main quest. I'm saving the Thieve's Guild and the Dark Brotherhood for last since the concensus seems to be that they're supposed to be the best.
Old 05-12-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I think I am level 20, and my major skills are pretty high, but all of my magic, heavy armor, blunt are pretty close to novice. The game was tough early on, but at around level 10 or so I started to get some decent items, cleaning out caves and it really kicked the enjoyment up.

As for the Chorrol recomendation, I did both parts. I got the book, gave it to the girl, got the spell (which I don't have nearly enough magika to even cast), stole the book and gave it to the guild guy.

I might stop by the guild next time I am in town, and see if he says anything.
Old 05-12-06, 08:07 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by jon-w9
Yeah, I think I am level 20, and my major skills are pretty high, but all of my magic, heavy armor, blunt are pretty close to novice. The game was tough early on, but at around level 10 or so I started to get some decent items, cleaning out caves and it really kicked the enjoyment up.

As for the Chorrol recomendation, I did both parts. I got the book, gave it to the girl, got the spell (which I don't have nearly enough magika to even cast), stole the book and gave it to the guild guy.

I might stop by the guild next time I am in town, and see if he says anything.
Yeah, me too. The spell is level dependant, and if you wait too long to do it you get a really powerful spell that you won't be able to use until you get your Destruction up to 100. That should cut it's casting cost down to a point where you'll probably be able to cast it...maybe. By the time we're able to use this spell it's going to be useless.
Old 05-12-06, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My destruction is near 100 but my Finger of the Mountain spell does 200 damage for like 5 seconds or something and costs 1300 magicka..... i have like 400... soooooo never gonna cast that one
Old 05-12-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I don't know if I chose the best order to do things.
I joined all 3 guilds.
I started getting reccomendation for mage's guild.
I did the first part of the main quest, to get the horse.
I continued mage's requests, clearing caves and such along the road.
I hit Kvatch along the way.
Continued mage's guild, hitting gates I can see fomr the road.

So now I am level 20, and about 45 hours into the game, haven't done much of anything, and I am already getting the best armor and weapons. I just went back to the cursed mine, and all the old stuff I left behind was still there, and all of the bandits were carrying enchanted weapons, and elven armor. I did't use the sigil stones because I find decent enough enchated stuff.

So really the only thing I have to look forward to is increasing my skills so I can repair my own weapons. I really don't know what else will get better.

I like the Diablo type RPG better, like stated above, I liked having something to look forward to after leveling up. Now, you can basically beat the entire game at level 1.

Last edited by jon-w9; 05-12-06 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-12-06, 08:28 PM
Uber Member

Hmm. Well, mine's under 800 magicka, but I've seen that number drop into the 500s when I used a spell to raise my destruction level skill. I still couldn't cast it because the base number needed to be 100, but I thought that with some spells and magicka increasing armor I'd be able to swing it.

Although, I have to say that I've found fire spells to be much more useful to me.
Old 05-12-06, 08:36 PM
Uber Member

Originally Posted by jon-w9
So really the only thing I have to look forward to is increasing my skills so I can repair my own weapons. I really don't know what else will get better.

I like the Diablo type RPG better, like stated above, I liked having something to look forward to after leveling up. Now, you can basically beat the entire game at level 1.
Well, there are still some interesting items still left to get. But I know what you mean. I'm just trying to complete the Main Quest right now so I'll stop seeing so many Oblivion Gates. I'm hoping the Thieves and Dark Brotherhood quest lines are as good as I've been hearing.

I would kind of like to max out my magic skills and see what kind of spells I could cast and/or create. It would be fun to be able to kill groups of anything without having to use invisibility and paralyze on one monster at a time.
Old 05-15-06, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've finished the Arena, the Mage's Guild, the Fighter's Guild, and I'm in the middle of the Thieve's Guild quests. I'm going to finish the Thieve's Guild then probably the main quest, and then I'm going to work on the Dark Brotherhood storyline. After all of that I might try to finish any miscellaneous quests.

I'm currently enjoying the Thieve's Guild storyline, and if the Dark Brotherhood is as good as everyone is talking about then I can't wait.

By the way I don't think this game is about leveling up since everything else levels up with you. I think leveling up is just there for the people who like to level. It seems that everything just stays at your level so why even concentrate on leveling. It's so easy to become uber-powerful I just concentrate on finishing quests.
Old 05-15-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 915 Likes on 675 Posts
Originally Posted by karnblack
I'm currently enjoying the Thieve's Guild storyline, and if the Dark Brotherhood is as good as everyone is talking about then I can't wait.
It is. Best story line in the game if you ask me. You'll enjoy it quite a bit.
Old 05-17-06, 12:38 PM

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/...esdasbooty.htm

Bethesda's Booty

Even though Bethesda Softworks' The Elder Scrolls® IV: Oblivion™ owns my soul, it's nice to know that they are still supporting my favorite addiction.

Developer Ashley ACheng Cheng showed off the upcoming Thieves Den download for Oblivion behind closed doors today, but I got a chance to check it out.

"Basically, it's Goonies," he said. "That's what we really wanted."

In the downloadable mission, which will be released in two weeks, you battle for control of a massive cave, complete with a haunting pirate ship. Once you conquer the lair, it forever belongs to your character.

You can start a band of pirates. You can plunder. And you can decorate your captain's chamber with furniture.

Cheng also hinted at further content on the way.

"We're going to keep on releasing demos every three to four weeks as long as people keep playing," Cheng said. "We've got six or seven in the queue—one is a huge and epic dungeon."

The two downloadable missions for Oblivion are two of the top downloads on Xbox Live® Marketplace. The only thing that will change, Cheng said, is the cost. "We're really trying some different things on the pricing."

Though Bethesda is committed to downloadable content Cheng said that it will not affect expansion packs, which he didn't give a launch date for.

Also shown off by Bethesda was Pirates of the Caribbean™: The Legend of Jack Sparrow. Jack Sparrow and Will Turner face off against ghost pirates and Europeans on this game for Windows®. It is a crisp third-person co-op action game that takes place between the first and second movies.

After Jack and Will are betrayed by a Portuguese crew, Jack is forced to confront the hangman's noose. "They ask Jack if he has any last words and he takes that as an open invitation to tell about his legend," said developer Robert Kuczik. The game takes place as Jack tells the story about his life, "but it's full of lies," Kuczik said.

Johnny Depp was called in to do Jack's dialogue and delivers the lines with the same wit that earned him an Academy Award nomination. "He kept a lot of the humor intact," Kuczik said.

One of the coolest features of the game, which strays far away from typical hack-and-slash action games, is its Dynamic Moonlighting Technology. Taking inspiration from the movies, The Legend of Jack Sparrow uses moonlight to change the appearance of the cursed pirates. If, during a swordfight, Jack pushes part of a pirate into the moonlight, that body part turns into bone.

"But when he comes back into the dark you'll see that he will dynamically change back to human," Kuczik said.

The sword-intensive action was shown only on land, but the developer promised battles that span multiple vessels. "You can fight between ships and swing across them, too," Kuczik said.

Look for Pirates of the Caribbean this July.

Article by Patrick F. Jones

I will hopefully be getting Oblivion very soon now that the tv season is almost over.

Chris
Old 05-17-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Although a little eek on the continuous stream of extra quests. Going to get pretty pricy i'm afraid. Granted, i will happily pay to start a band of pirates and terrorize the countryside.
Old 05-17-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Although a little eek on the continuous stream of extra quests. Going to get pretty pricy i'm afraid. Granted, i will happily pay to start a band of pirates and terrorize the countryside.
Pirates? Where's the love for ninjas? Look at those swords and armour the Blades use, clearly ninja influence.
Old 05-17-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw the Blades as more Samurai than ninja - loyal to their lord etc.

Besides, pirates are so much cooler.
Old 05-17-06, 02:37 PM

This pirate quest sounds VERY COOL!
Old 05-17-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by mrmagoo
This pirate quest sounds VERY COOL!
Indeed it does.

I need to get my wireless up and running so I can get back on Live and download this thing. I've been offline since moving back in February because I don't want to string cables from the modem in the office out into the living room.
Old 05-17-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm all for the new bonus content but, how about some free stuff thrown in for good measure. It would be real easy for them to nickle and dime you to death with little side quests added all the time. I'd rather pay $20 for a real expansion pack.
Old 05-17-06, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow. I'm not really on either side of the pirate vs. ninjas debate but this content could certainly change my vote. I didn't think I'd get "suckered" into all this downloadable content but I have to say they have me hooked with this game.
Old 05-19-06, 12:21 PM

Well Fry's has Oblivion for $44.99

It looks like it's time to buy it this weekend!

Chris
Old 05-19-06, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by mrpayroll
Well Fry's has Oblivion for $44.99

It looks like it's time to buy it this weekend!

Chris
GoGamer has Oblivion (for PC) for $34.90 for 1 more hour! Get it quick if you want it (though I think shipping is expensive through gogamer.)

Last edited by joeblow69; 05-19-06 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-19-06, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by joeblow69
GoGamer has Oblivion (for PC) for $34.90 for 1 more hour! Get it quick if you want it (though I think shipping is expensive through gogamer.)
No, I'm going for the XBox 360 version. But thank you anyways.

Chris
Old 05-19-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't quite understand something.

I got hit with something in a cave that reduced my strength.
I tried a potion of dispel, nothing. (What is it for?)
I tried a potion of cure disease, nothing. (What is it for?)
I tried a potion of cure poison, nothing. (What is it for?)
I tried a potion of restore strength, nothing.

I ended up going to church, but I guess I haven't been cursed, poisoned, or diseased?
Old 05-22-06, 02:04 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Thieves Den is up in the Market Place, it's a really a small download only 2.27mb cost 150pst. I hope it's worth it, but I 'am a sucker for anything Oblivion.

Last edited by Mok; 05-22-06 at 02:07 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.