Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

The One, The Only: Kingdom Hearts II Thread - US Release 03/28!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The One, The Only: Kingdom Hearts II Thread - US Release 03/28!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinata242
Been bugging me because I can't tell, but I'm leaning towards "no"...
Spoiler:
Billy Zane still doing the voice of Ansem?
Nope. Richard Epcar according to IMDB (ie: take with a grain of salt).
Old 03-31-06, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The countdown has begun! I'm about to leave from work soon to get my daughter and give her her birthday present... This weekend is just gonna be Kingdom Hearts, and catching up on American Idol.

Gosh, my life is
Old 03-31-06, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, I've got Kingdom Hearts, mini-golf and Wrestlemania.. I'm not much better (though since American Idol is not part of that I feel it is a little bit better).

Man, so far there are three returning characters (Aerith, Hercules and spoiler boy from above) with new voices. I'm actually shocked that Disney couldn't pull the original cast together! Aerith is the only one I feel was a significant downgrade.. the others are alright.. just different. I've always hated Homer Simpson as the Genie.. the damn Japanese voice actor sounded more like the original Genie than this turd does.
Old 03-31-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aerith speaks like shes, I dunno... dead. Perhaps she should have stayed that way. Is there a point (DON'T TELL ME!) to her character in this series other than "OH SHIT, LOOK!" fodder for FF fanboys? If so, that wore off in KH1.
Old 03-31-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Aerith speaks like shes, I dunno... dead. Perhaps she should have stayed that way.
I AGREE!
Old 03-31-06, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if anyone have a kh1 or kh2 to trade or sell pm me
Old 03-31-06, 10:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I didn't get to play tons of the game, but I'm 3 hours in and I'm still playing as Roxas. I understand the reasons for his level (having played Chain of Memories as well as getting who he is from the second dream sequence), but they gave him way too much stuff. They could have cut or merged some of his levels to make it get to Sora a little more quickly.
Old 04-01-06, 12:28 AM
Banned

Im 3 hours and 10 min in and im playing as Sora inside the first castle from the train. Freakin AMAZING so far, and im sure its just going to get more and more magnificent as we go. Damn you SE!! Its just difficult for me to game for long hours anymore, i get tired =(
Old 04-01-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I was being lazy this morning, my daughter got up to 5 hours. Not sure exactly where she is, but she's been Sora for a while she says.

I'm at the first save spot.

I was freaking out at first when the clips from KH1 started looking all glitchy.

It didn't help that I had opened the KH2 box last night, but forgot to actually put it into the PS2, and KH1 came up when I turned it on. Thought I had gotten screwed at Frys.
Old 04-01-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
Im 3 hours and 10 min in and im playing as Sora inside the first castle from the train. Freakin AMAZING so far, and im sure its just going to get more and more magnificent as we go. Damn you SE!! Its just difficult for me to game for long hours anymore, i get tired =(
I'm at that exact same spot. I played right through the intro in one sitting (thats a few hours). Game is awesome, but I agree on Aeris' new voice actor . Terrible. Mandy Moore was fine IMO. Doesn't ruin the game at all though. I like the improvements to the battle system, seems like they improved aerial combat, and the reversals and context sensitive actions are pretty sweet. So far game has lived up to my big expectations .
Old 04-02-06, 12:40 AM

I barely play video games at all, but I enjoyed KH1. I can't believe how long this game is taking to play out with all the cut-scenes. Is there an estimated timeframe for how long it will take to play this game all the way through? Don't get me wrong--I think this game is great, but I don't have a lot of time to devote to it.
Old 04-02-06, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm burning though this beautiful piece of art!

Wisdom form is so freaking cool!!

The Timeless River stage is a pure treat for Disney fans!

Spoiler:
Not only does it showcase Steamboat Willie, but there are four other mini-stages based on old black & white Mickey shorts. Plus you get to see Clara Cluck, Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar! The sound effects are awesome and they add audio scratches to all the sound to give it an old-time feel. They teased adding film-age effects over the title card but they don't run over the entire stage (I was hoping it would!).
Old 04-02-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Just started as Sora after 4 hrs in (those were long, tedious hours, IMO). Still, now that we're finally cookin', I'm glad to see where this game will be taking me. Top notch production values, to be sure.
I sorta agree that so far the combat is too easy, but then again that's not such a bad thing as I can get pretty frustrated with dying over and over and having to constantly level up just to get to where I'm supposed to go next. I've quit many a great RPG out of that frustration (like the beautiful Dark Cloud 2) and since i don't have tons of time, I'm willing to trade difficulty for adventure this time. Still, mu four-year old is handling the heartless battles for me, so I can tell it's not a tough game.
Old 04-02-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hehe, thats cute about your 4 year old I think having kid playing with you would enchance this experience even more. I just got to the PotC level and am having a blast. My main complaint would be its way too linear. These supposed "worlds" are like 3-5 with about 20-40 bad guys, boss and then 30mins later next world. Hopefully they either give you 30 plus planets to explore or they start to get alot bigger and actually have treasure that that not glaring you right in the face.
Old 04-02-06, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not playing this, because I got Oblivion, but I suspect there's probably something to IGN's criticism of the combat. I played the first Kingdom Hearts, and the game wasn't exactly difficult. Outside of GTA:SA, I don't think I've really played any games in the last couple of years that were genuinely difficult to beat on the default difficulty level.

The original KH was more gentle than most, and I expect that, with Disney making a more aggressive effort to capitalize on their animation properties since the last one, they probably pushed Square down to an even gentler level of difficulty. When a gamesite editor says he can clear whole rooms of enemies by repeatedly pressing the X button, I take that as a pretty serious criticism of the game, especially when that combat is the central gameplay element.

I'm pretty annoyed with the general trend of games ramping up the visual realism and the production values, and while the enemies are still as dumb as they were ten years ago. You can't tie good cutscene sequences together with shoddy, repetitive gameplay and call it a good game. I may pick this one up when it's a "greatest hit."
Old 04-02-06, 04:51 PM
Banned

I just watched the KH2 commercial while watching X-Play, and it was incredible. Even if you didnt know about KH at all, it makes you want to play it.
Old 04-02-06, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Decker
Still, mu four-year old is handling the heartless battles for me, so I can tell it's not a tough game.
ah, so thats how you beat all those games you talk about in previous threads .
Old 04-02-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Outlaw
ah, so thats how you beat all those games you talk about in previous threads .
She helps out, okay? I do ALL the boss fights myself.
Old 04-03-06, 02:17 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
The original KH was more gentle than most, and I expect that, with Disney making a more aggressive effort to capitalize on their animation properties since the last one, they probably pushed Square down to an even gentler level of difficulty. When a gamesite editor says he can clear whole rooms of enemies by repeatedly pressing the X button, I take that as a pretty serious criticism of the game, especially when that combat is the central gameplay element.

I'm pretty annoyed with the general trend of games ramping up the visual realism and the production values, and while the enemies are still as dumb as they were ten years ago. You can't tie good cutscene sequences together with shoddy, repetitive gameplay and call it a good game. I may pick this one up when it's a "greatest hit."
Like the original KH, the combat in this varies by enemy. Some enemies can be wiped out in three hits. Others you can repeatedly bash. And others still require some strategy to take out. While the gameplay in the KH games doesn't get as varied as, say, Psychonauts, it's still well done and creative, and some of the fights are just awesome.

On the other hand, those gummi ship levels make my hand cramp like nothing else I've played in a long time.
Old 04-03-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, such a busy weekend.. I managed to get some good time in regardless.

Spoiler:
Has anybody else had Sora turn into a Heartless after attempting to go into a different form? First time it happened to me I got my ass handed to me and suffered my first game over. Second time I lived, but man is it weird!
Old 04-04-06, 12:02 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Oh, such a busy weekend.. I managed to get some good time in regardless.

Spoiler:
Has anybody else had Sora turn into a Heartless after attempting to go into a different form? First time it happened to me I got my ass handed to me and suffered my first game over. Second time I lived, but man is it weird!
Spoiler:
That is his "anti-form" you're really fast but you take double the damage. I don't remember if it lets you revert while you're in that form, but if it does, the best thing to do is just revert. You don't gain any form levels in the anti-form. The more times you go into one of the forms, the higher chance you have of encountering the anti-form. However, I find it's still worth it to change forms as often as possible, so I can level the form up.
Old 04-04-06, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Too scared to read spoilers of other people. So here's my own for people less far than me (around 9 hours).

Spoiler:
Just finished Timeless River which I thought was magnificent. That's why I play video games - for that kind of love and attention to detail. After that, I opened up the paths to both Atlantica and Port Royal so my daughter and I can get right into it tonight without wasting 5 minutes on a Gummi level (which I think are perfectly fine). Then I headed back over and beat the Pain & Panic Tournament. Leon and Yuffie were pretty easy. Took out Leon first and then Yuffie, but she just wouldn't die. Stayed on like 0.5% health for about 2 minutes of abuse. No reaction commands ever came up for me to think a "finishing move" was necessary. Eventually, one of my regular combos sent her packing.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this game.
Old 04-04-06, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pinata, my spoilers are safe for where you are.

I just finished Pride Rock last night and the second Hades Tournament.. lion cub Sora was quite cool and movement was fast as hell. I still find myself distracted with the Gummi Ship levels from time to time.. although I've yet to actually BUILD my own ship, I'm thinking about re-making my pickup truck Gummi Ship from Final Mix.. too bad I've yet to find any of the "designer" Gummi Blocks (if they exist) like the wheels and longhorns. I've got little Pac-Man ships for my Teeny Ships. Yes, I love this game.
Old 04-04-06, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Totally freaking out at Halloween Town world. Wow what a treat, this is heaven!! I'd die play immersive world like this, that one room creepy woods that leads between them would make a great setting to get lost in!
Old 04-04-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quick question about Atlantica
Spoiler:
I know this is mostly (totally?) a musical/rhythm sequence. Is there any experience to be earned during it? Yes or no will be enough as I don't really want plot spoilers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.