Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Resident Evil 4 thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-07, 12:39 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figures they'd make a Wii version a few months after I bought the GC version. Oh well, at least the GC version is $10 cheaper.
Old 04-08-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah.. I knew this was coming, but I still bought the GC version because I'm currently on Gamefly and they gave me a $5 coupon. So it cost me $8.65 shipped. I doubt I'll rebuy it. Instead, I'll probably pick up Umbrella Chronicles.

I wonder if UC will use this:

That would be pretty awesome.
Old 04-15-07, 01:29 AM
Retired

Finally fired this up again. Played through all of chapter 4 and a bit of chapter 5-1 tonight.

Was a bit hard in spots, especially the boss at the end of chapter 4. Though it was a snap once I gave up and checked a faq for strategy on what weapon to use.
Old 04-15-07, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
I could see picking this one up again. Especially at this price, or more likely for me a year down the road at $20 or less. Too bad there isn't a way to port your game save from the GC version. So does this have all the extra features of the GC and the PS2 version? I kind of wish it was a little more then a port; polished graphics, extra features, but I can't complain about the price. Especially after capcom did straight port of RE2 and 3 for $50 each on the GC.
Old 04-15-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
I could see picking this one up again. Especially at this price, or more likely for me a year down the road at $20 or less. Too bad there isn't a way to port your game save from the GC version. So does this have all the extra features of the GC and the PS2 version? I kind of wish it was a little more then a port; polished graphics, extra features, but I can't complain about the price. Especially after capcom did straight port of RE2 and 3 for $50 each on the GC.
From what I've heard it's supposed to have the extra PS2 stuff. I doubt I'll pick it up for $30, just because I have the GC version, but I may buy it eventually as it looks really nice (the controls). One of the things I really like is the aiming with the Wii-mote. What this does (that you can't do in the GC version) is allow you to aim at zombies while you walk before you go into shooting stance. I don't believe you can shoot and walk but you can aim and walk.

I just think it will be easier to aim anyway... I have a problem with the analog stick and aiming.
Old 04-15-07, 01:12 PM
Retired

DodgingCars, here's a link to a good free guide online. It's well organized so its easy to quickly find the place your are stuck, the boss strategy you need etc. with out spoiling other stuff looking for it (which tends to happen when skimming through the text only faqs on gamefaqs.com.)

http://residentevil.planets.gamespy....alkthrough.htm
Old 04-15-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
DodgingCars, here's a link to a good free guide online. It's well organized so its easy to quickly find the place your are stuck, the boss strategy you need etc. with out spoiling other stuff looking for it (which tends to happen when skimming through the text only faqs on gamefaqs.com.)

http://residentevil.planets.gamespy....alkthrough.htm
Thanks. I finally finished Chapter 1. The boss wasn't too bad. This is a nice guide... just skimming through the parts I've been through I see things I've missed.
Old 04-15-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
One of the things I really like is the aiming with the Wii-mote. What this does (that you can't do in the GC version) is allow you to aim at zombies while you walk before you go into shooting stance. I don't believe you can shoot and walk but you can aim and walk.

I just think it will be easier to aim anyway... I have a problem with the analog stick and aiming.
My worry is that the speed and accuracy of aiming with the wiimote will take all the challenge out of the game.
Old 04-15-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
My worry is that the speed and accuracy of aiming with the wiimote will take all the challenge out of the game.

Yeah, the game probably would be a lot easier with the wii-mote.
Old 04-15-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Capcom has actually addressed this. They commented that they wanted to make the game more accessable to those that are not as good at games. Additionally, for the more "hard-core" crowd that want to play it again or missed it the first time, they will be adding additional levels of difficulty to the game. So it appears they are aware the concern over its difficulty in both directions.
Old 05-11-07, 12:40 AM
Retired

Finally beat the GC version tonight. A bit over 22 hours and 95 deaths for me.

I ended up liking it more as I went along, but still wasn't blown away. Probably an 8.5 for me.

Not sure if I'll bother with Assignment Ada or Mercenaries or not as I was damn ready for the game to end. Will definitely put those modes on the back burner and move on to something else first.
Old 05-12-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
"I'll stick with it.. though I think I'd enjoy it more if it was less frantic. It only cost me $8.65 though.. so it's hard to complain. The graphics are amazing for last generation though"

Stick with it. One of the best games for the cube. I'll never forget the first time I got my head chainsawed off Awesome. I played through the game again after I got the infinite Rocket Launcher. Man is that fun!

I also think the game was successful at creating the right amount of creepyness. When things are quiet you worry that somethings going to happen. The previous games in the series were too creepy for me.
Old 05-12-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I actually just started playing this as well and don't really like it that much compared to the others. It's the POV change I'm just not very good at. I can't get past the first village.
Old 05-12-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I gave up on it. Didn't dig the control or the story. Its coming out on the wii which is probably a better system for it. Aiming and shooting with the wii remote looks like it would work better at least for me.
Old 05-12-07, 02:03 PM
Retired

Yep, Village was probably the hardest part aside from a couple of places where you have annoying tougher enemies combined with timed traps etc.

None of the bosses are all that hard as long as you get the magnum (Broken Butterfly), save bullets for late bosses, and upgrade it all the way.

It's definitely worth playing through, though I think its far from the best game every hype some bestow upon.
Old 05-13-07, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got the Chicago Typewriter. I'm having a lot of fun playing through again - it's very satisfying easily blasting away all the enemies that gave me so much trouble before. My new goal is to save enough money for an Infinite Rocket Launcher.