Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can bat without a cursor, then I'll be buying MVP for PS2. The lack of a cursor is the biggest thing I look for in a baseball game. I want to hit the ball WITHOUT a box.
Old 03-10-04, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Cinema
If you can bat without a cursor, then I'll be buying MVP for PS2. The lack of a cursor is the biggest thing I look for in a baseball game. I want to hit the ball WITHOUT a box.
They all can be played without a cursor.
Old 03-10-04, 07:39 PM

I got MVP for XBOX. Incredible game. It's much better than last year, plus the minor league stuff is incredible. I was a high heater and this may be better than that. The pitching meters and batting are much improved, plus the team chemistry is neat. For example, I started a dynasty just to mess around with and the Cubs have both Grudzelanek and Todd Walker at 2b, and both were very unhappy that they weren't starting. The game has lots of little nuances and an email system with trade proposals and scouting reports on your minors and other teams also.
Old 03-10-04, 08:10 PM

So ... I went to Target today. They had MVP 2004 for PS2, Gamecube, Xbox - but no PC version. Wal-mart didn't have it at all. Those were my only two options.

Suckekeke.
Old 03-10-04, 08:14 PM

I agree gr8fuldave awwesome game. This is the first baseball game I bought. i played a couple exhibition games tonight. I'll start a Dynasty later. But I got it for XBOX anf the graphics are great.
Old 03-10-04, 11:52 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I picked it up this morning for my Xbox and have been playing it all day.

The dynasty mode is great.
Old 03-11-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What are you X-Box MVP-ers feeling about the current rosters? Is A-Rod still on the Rangers? Is Pudge still with the Marlins?

I know you will be able to download updated rosters for the ps2 version, but are x-box owners screwed?
Old 03-11-04, 02:35 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

The rosters were as of Jan 15. So a-rod is still on the rangers and Pudge and Maddux are free agents.
Old 03-11-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked it up yesterday for PS2, and I'll echo everyone else's comments. They've added pretty much anything I could have hoped over last year.

Other than some frame rate issues and a few nitpicks, I'd say that this is the best baseball game I've played. Mound visits, wild pitches and past balls, bean ball wars, a huge number of different hits, fantastic animations, deep dynasty play, realistic crowd noises...it's all great. And the game itself is just a blast to play.

My biggest complaint is that, quite frankly, the crowd looks like shit. Basically, it looks like everyone is made out of cardboard, which wouldn't be so bad if replays and foul balls didn't tend to cause the camera to zoom right in on them.

But small issues aside, I love this game.
Old 03-11-04, 10:22 AM

For those who picked up MVP Baseball and had Sega's World Series Baseball game from last year, how do you think it compares? I'm trying to get a feel for how people think it stacks up against Sega's last offering, since ESPN Baseball 2K4 isn't out yet for a better comparison...
Old 03-11-04, 01:56 PM
Retired

Another thing to consider, from another thread here, is that MVP will apparently cost $50 while the other games will go for $40.

So when anyone plays MVP and WSB I'd be interested in hearing whether you feel MVP is worth the extra $10.
Old 03-11-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I posted another thread, but TRU has a $10 off $50 in their current circular. They have MLB listed for $49.99, so you just need to add a candy bar to get the $10 off.
Old 03-11-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
I was disappointed by only 5 total jerseys for the Angels. In WSB 2k3, they had the 5 jerseys that MVP has, plus 3-4 others. It was great. I'll probably still buy ESPN to play on the Xbox, though

Last edited by nickdawgy; 03-12-04 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-11-04, 04:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
As long as one of those 5 jerseys isn't like the ones they used from 1997-2001, I'll be happy! Those Disney designed ones were horrid! My favorite still has to be the ones they used from 1992-96 but their current ones are nice too!

I'll be picking this game up tonight for the Xbox...actually renting it first. Since High Heat won't be available this season I need to find a worthy replacement.

Hey nickdawgy, you got good taste bro. Angels & Lakers!
Old 03-11-04, 04:31 PM

Before I pick this up for Xbox (I have Ps2 and an Xbox), do you guys know if there is a way to manually modify the rosters to reflect current MLB rosters? I.E. signing Pudge to the Tigers. Thanks!
Old 03-11-04, 05:06 PM

I can't hit a homerun to save my life
Old 03-11-04, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can you turn off those annoying replays of the ball going by my bat?
Old 03-11-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Abranut
Before I pick this up for Xbox (I have Ps2 and an Xbox), do you guys know if there is a way to manually modify the rosters to reflect current MLB rosters? I.E. signing Pudge to the Tigers. Thanks!
You can modify the rosters and players to your heart's content. Just do it in the "roster management" portion of the main menu, then when you want to begin a dynasty, make sure you select "no" for "Use Default Rosters." As usual, no MLBPA players can be in the game, so those need to be created (Kevin millar, Rick Reed). Barry Bonds has been replaced by a player named John Dowd, so you can edit his physical appearance and personal information. You can even edit jersey numbers, so you can change A-Rod to #13 (and make him a 3B) after shipping him off to the Yanks. Here is a site for all transactions after the MVP roster cut-off date so you can edit what you need:

http://mvpbaseball04.125mb.com/transactions.html

I can't hit a homerun to save my life
The only advice I have on this is to work the count. Hitting is hard, especially when it comes to extra base hits. Connecting for a HR only happens when your timing and location are right on. It's like the real game. You have to wait for your pitch. Try playing in lower skill levels like Rookie and Pro until you get the hang of it. I know I won't be leaving Pro for a while.

Last edited by Mad Dawg; 03-11-04 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-11-04, 08:40 PM

Online already sounds like a disaster in the making for people who hook up with random opponents.

Here are some of the pleasures you can apparently deal with if you meet up with some immature Gameshark owner...

- Every swing (even strikes) a home run.
- Every person scoring counts as 10 runs.
- Substitute opponent's players.
- Restart any at bat.
Old 03-11-04, 10:36 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DavePack
For those who picked up MVP Baseball and had Sega's World Series Baseball game from last year, how do you think it compares? I'm trying to get a feel for how people think it stacks up against Sega's last offering, since ESPN Baseball 2K4 isn't out yet for a better comparison...
I had WSB last year and I think MVP is much better.
Old 03-11-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Setzer
As long as one of those 5 jerseys isn't like the ones they used from 1997-2001, I'll be happy! Those Disney designed ones were horrid! My favorite still has to be the ones they used from 1992-96 but their current ones are nice too!

I'll be picking this game up tonight for the Xbox...actually renting it first. Since High Heat won't be available this season I need to find a worthy replacement.

Hey nickdawgy, you got good taste bro. Angels & Lakers!
I liked the Winged ones

But WSB had those, the old school Cali Angels, and the even older school LA Angels. Plus the home, away, and alt that MVP has.

I am looking forward to ESPN, but MVP looks to be awesome, too. I finally got a controller to play it with

Oh and yeah, go Lakers, and Angels.
Old 03-12-04, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just played MVP 2004 for the first time, and well...it sucks.

It's way too hard, I was down 12-0 after 2 innings. I managed to get one hit. I had it on Pro, and I'd imagine rookie mode would be way too easy. I even had auto fielding on, and my guys were as slow as snails in the outfield, frequently chasing after balls. I think the other team got 3 triples, and one inside the park HR in the first inning.

I am pretty sure I will be taking this game back. What a disappointment.

EDIT: I tried a rookie game, and sure enough, I won 13-3. Still, it was pretty fun. I'll give this one another chance to make me keep it

Last edited by nickdawgy; 03-12-04 at 02:03 AM.
Old 03-12-04, 02:14 AM

Well so far I am 3-1 with the A's and for the life of me, I cannot hit a HR. All 4 games have been low scoring and one went into extra innings. It does not help me that nobody can hit the long ball on the A's, but I do have my 3 headed monster of pitching that will make up for my lack of offense. I like this years version much better because last years I would be Tampa Bay and every player there would be an all-star. This year is more realistic and I am playing on Pro. I thought Pro would be to easy like all other sports games, the second level would be a sinch. Well, unless I can get the hitting down, I wont be leaving.
Old 03-12-04, 06:32 AM

i still can't hit a homerun but then i realized, all other previous baseball games were always to easy or unrealistic. no one is going to hit 2-3 homruns per game. mvp is VERY realistic in this. i'm just not use to it, but this is how baseball really is.

my o's traded for a-rod for tejada, daal, and segui. even in the game, the rangers are desperate to get rid of a-rod
Old 03-12-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Online already sounds like a disaster in the making for people who hook up with random opponents.

Here are some of the pleasures you can apparently deal with if you meet up with some immature Gameshark owner...

- Every swing (even strikes) a home run.
- Every person scoring counts as 10 runs.
- Substitute opponent's players.
- Restart any at bat.
I haven't tried it yet, but that's apparently not the worst of online right now. I've heard:

- You're forced to download an updated roster everytime you go online to play. The problem is that it's apparently the same roster already in the game. Therefore, no online play with updated teams until the opening day roster update is out.

- You are unable at this point to edit your line-ups or choose a starter prior to a game.

- Randomly get kicked off for cheating, earn a loss, for seemingly no reason.

- Various annoying glitches. A batter strikes out, but reappears as ther next batter. A batter strikes out to end the inning, but the next batter appears in the box, then the game locks. Or a certain batter comes to the plate and the pitcher's stamina drops to 0%.

Those are a fraction of the reported issues. Unless EA is going to be able to fix these, I'd say XBOX owners aren't missing anything.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.