Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Old 03-12-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by crow121
i still can't hit a homerun but then i realized, all other previous baseball games were always to easy or unrealistic. no one is going to hit 2-3 homruns per game. mvp is VERY realistic in this. i'm just not use to it, but this is how baseball really is.

my o's traded for a-rod for tejada, daal, and segui. even in the game, the rangers are desperate to get rid of a-rod
I'm really not sure of the reason, but I'm having little to no problems with HRs. I'm averaging 2-3 per game, and I've only played exhibition so I'm facing quality starters. The other complaint I've heard is the fact that the CPU is hard to strike out. The least I've gotten in a game is 6, but I've gotten 10 and 11 with Pedro and Schilling respectively. That's on Pro. I'm still not consistent enough to step up to All-Star, but I may give it a shot soon.
Old 03-12-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One more annoyance that XBOX and GC owners (and PS2 users with no network adapter) probably need to be aware of since there will be no online updates.

You need to make sure that when making roster changes manually, you have to make sure that all teams, including AAA and AA, have complete rotations, all four line-ups, and enough pitchers and fielders. If you do not, there will be a pop up message telling you that a certain team doesn't meet roster requirements.

You can choose 3 options: 1) Fix it manually, 2) let the CPU fix it, or 3) leave roster management anyway. Choose either 1 or 3! If you allow the CPU to fix one team's roster, it will "fix" every team's roster. This usually entails some ridiculous line-ups, scrub minor leaguers being placed on MLB teams, and major leaguers being sent to the minors. You'll usually make this choice prior to saving, so you'll have to go back and fix it manually, leading to a helluva lot more work than you expected.

Invest in one of those X-ports, SharkPorts, or whatever, then go to a 3rd party site that posts downloadable updates. It's going to save some headaches, and some sites already have XBOX updates available.
Old 03-12-04, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a player speed changer? Man, Ichiro runs like he's playing in a foot of mud.
Old 03-12-04, 09:26 AM

I've just looked at some of the video previews... I think this is the game I'm going to go for, but one thing really bothers me.

Did anyone notice that after the pitch, the pitcher just turns around and gets back on the rubber? Where'd he get the ball from? The catcher doesn't throw it back?

Perhaps that was just in the "preview" clips. Can any of you purchasers tell me if it still is that way? I know it's minor.. but it sure seems bizarre.
Old 03-12-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by achau9598
Is there a player speed changer? Man, Ichiro runs like he's playing in a foot of mud.
There are around 35 sliders, so you can bump up outfielder speed if that's where he's slow. Otherwise, you can go to Create/Edit players and change his speed ratings. I'd say that that's my favorite addtion this year.

Originally posted by Frank_M
Can any of you purchasers tell me if it still is that way?
Yeah, it is. I agree that it's annoying. And with all of the small details, and there are tons, it would have been nice to see.

Additionally, if you choose to intentionally walk someone, or if your batter gets an IBB, "WALK!" pops up and the batter takes first with no pitches thrown. Sure it speeds things up, but it's kind of weird.
Old 03-12-04, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally posted by Frank_M
I've just looked at some of the video previews... I think this is the game I'm going to go for, but one thing really bothers me.

Did anyone notice that after the pitch, the pitcher just turns around and gets back on the rubber? Where'd he get the ball from? The catcher doesn't throw it back?

Perhaps that was just in the "preview" clips. Can any of you purchasers tell me if it still is that way? I know it's minor.. but it sure seems bizarre.
I heard that you can change it to show the catcher throwing the ball back to the pitcher. Most people, including myself, don't care that the ball magically appears back in the pitchers glove. It saves time this way. It may not be realistic, but I think all the baseball games do it this way. The fact that MVP gives you the option to change it if you want is pretty darn cool
Old 03-12-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

On rookie mode, I think I hit 7 HR's in the game I played.

On pro, I got owned, so I guess I'll have to work at it.
Old 03-12-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Played it last night. First game I played was Marlins-Angels on Pro difficulty.....I lost 3-2. This is my first time playing an MVP game, its been either HH or WSB the last 5+ years.

The controls, for me anyway, took some getting used to. The first time I fielded the ball, it was on a grounder and I thought I could just press the button which corresponds to the base and my player would throw the ball to that base.......well it works like that but then this meter bar pops up...lets just say my first throw came up a little short . That feature didn't take long to get used to and it adds to the challenge of the game because your throws in won't always be the same nor accurate unless timed correctly.

I love the challenge of this game and like the rest of you it seems difficult to hit homers but I've only played one game. I haven't had a chance to mess around with some of the other features this game has to offer but after playing the first game I'm pretty impressed.
Old 03-12-04, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Setzer, one of the great additions with the throwing meter for fielders is turning a double play. If you don't hold the button long enough, the fielder won't get enough on the throw to get the batter at first. But if you hold the button too long, the the runner will take you out at 2nd. I think I've turned one double play, and have had my 2B taken out 3 or 4 times. It takes a lot of getting used to, but it's a great touch.

nickdawgy, one thing to keep in mind about the batting system is that the game manual is very misleading. Aiming the bat where the ball is going will supposedly help you get hits. However, what they fail to mention is that if your timing is right and the ball comes into a hot zone, you can crank it out. If I've got a power hitter up, I always hold the left stick up, pressing it either left or right depending on where the pitch seems to be going. Timing is the biggest factor and the hardest thing to master.
Old 03-12-04, 12:17 PM

I just picked up MVP 2004 yesterday, and so far I think it's pretty good. I'm a huge fan of WSB 2k3 but disliked ASB 2004 a lot. I always wanted to try MVP 2003 but never did, so I decided to give this year's version a shot.

I really like the pitching interface; however, I do find myself trying to "fully charge" almost every pitch I throw. Should I be doing this? Or should I reserve "fully charged" pitches to get me out of tight situations/blow past batters? I was using Tim Hudson and he was still throwing 93 mph 4-seamers in the 8th inning with no problem.

Fielding is a little tough. Harold Reynolds told me I could pre-throw to a base, but I couldn't get it to work. Needless to say, I had a hard time executing double plays, because my fielders would pause while my throwing meter was still charging, making me lose valuable seconds, even though I tried to do this before they reached the ball.

Batting takes some getting used to, also. I think I slapped about a dozen singles and 2 doubles in one game. I didn't even come close to hitting a home run in the 3 games I played last night. But it's okay.

The graphics are underwhelming. The players all seem too bulky and their heads are a little too big, in my opinion. And I don't think the player animations are better than WSB's. My TV doesn't support 720p, so I don't know how it's really supposed to look. Framerate is not an issue, but I did notice some drops every now and then.

MVP beats WSB in one area hands-down, though, and that is in extra stuff. Be it uniforms or old-time players or Dynasty Mode or minor league teams or the MyMVP bio thing, the game's worth playing just to unlock everything.

When I first saw the players and all the meters and overlays, I thought, "Christ, this game's gonna be some arcadey home-run-fest" despite having read reviews. But it's not. I think the level of realism is equal to that of WSB 2k3. I'll be buying ESPN when it comes out, and thankfully the quality of MVP has proven that I'm not crazy for wanting two baseball games. Now if ASB 2005 turns out to be good then I'll truly be screwed.
Old 03-12-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bouncingsoul
I really like the pitching interface; however, I do find myself trying to "fully charge" almost every pitch I throw. Should I be doing this? Or should I reserve "fully charged" pitches to get me out of tight situations/blow past batters? I was using Tim Hudson and he was still throwing 93 mph 4-seamers in the 8th inning with no problem.
Last year's game was different with the pitching meter. If you fully charged it, your pitcher would wear down relatively quickly. This year, stamina seems to be the guiding force, and if you don't fully charge a pitch, it has a good chance of failing. Fastballs will be slower, breaking pitches won't move, and both will eventually get clobbered. For most starters, stamina holds up very well, and you should charge up every pitch, IMO.
Old 03-12-04, 01:35 PM

There's one beautifully detailed MVP review written by someone in the Operation Sports forum. Since registration is required (although if you're into sports games, you should have registered there long ago), I'll also paste it here instead of just linking to it.

http://forums.operationsports.com/ub...5&o=31&fpart=1

I wish "professional" reviews had 10% of this detail. As you will see, though, they're never allocated this much space (in print, at least)...

A few notes. First, I did not play MVP 2003, and never played Triple Play. I used to play High Heat a little, and before that, Tony LaRussa and Earl Weaver. I had World Series Baseball (ESPN) last season but got bored with it quickly. I do play a lot of Out of the Park. This review was done on the PC version of the game.

My MVP 2004 Gameplay review.

First, what does a gameplay review mean? It means I'm not going to spend any real time talking about graphics or sound, and I'm not going to spend time reviewing the quality of the player ratings and roster set. First I think most reviews give us plenty of that, and second of all after all that fades its the gameplay, as well all know, that matters.

Second, I'm a franchise mode guy, so my perspective will be skewed from that angle. I haven't played online, so I have little to add about that. This review is written after playing through two and 1/2 seasons of franchise mode (note I did not play all the games myself, of course)

Franchise mode has all the usual setup parameters, such as starting with a draft, using the DH, etc. Once you get started you're given a set of goals to accomplish during your 3 year contract, as has been mentioned in other reviews. You are also given a set of 1 year goals that are optional, and can be accomplished to give you MVP points, which are used to unlock special features for your user profile (which for a baseball fan are pretty cool). I think the goals system is a great idea, and should be used in one form or another in nearly every franchise game made. For me with the pathetic Cincinnati Reds, I was given the goals of 1) Maintain a .450 winning percentage, 2) win 100 home games over 3 years 3) Finish once in the top 10 in Cy Young voting. I thought the third one would be the hardest, that was, until I had a middle reliever finish 5th my second season (more on that later).

In franchise mode you actually have access to your team's AAA and AA teams, who play games, have morale, go to their league playoffs, etc. I haven't yet figured out the VALUE of having your minor league team go to the playoffs, though sometimes you get 1 year goals that are like 'maintain a .260 batting average with your AAA team.

The interface for franchise mode is, well, a mess. From the main screen, it takes 3 clicks or more plus several wooshing screen transitions just to view your roster. Which leads us to the actual setting of lineups and rotations. You must set the full 4 lineups (L/R w/wo DH) for all 3 of your clubs, so that's 12 lineups, plus the 3 pitching rotations. The game has an auto manage rosters button, but unfortunately this is a lot more significant than just saying 'auto generate lineup' for a particular team. Instead, the AI proceeds to call up/send down players, and reset your lineups and rotations for ALL your clubs. This is a nice feature, if it was seperate to one that generates say, just your AAA lineup. As is its nearly useless, since it screws up your entire franchise. Thus, you'll spend a lot of time making sure all 4 AA lineups are complete so you can proceed to the next day. And since you must have legal lineups and rotations for all three clubs, its a lot of busy work that most players won't care about.

Another 3 or 4 clicks takes you to the screens where you can do stuff like place players on the trading block, trade players, view the league trading block, and pick up free agents. Actual transactions are pretty straightforward. You can do one for one or many for many trades with AI teams. Each team has a certain 'budget' which limits their salary (in points). The trade AI seems ok. I haven't done any blatant ripoffs of the AI, though it will do things like trade a worthless prospect for a bad major leaguer with a huge contract. The AI makes a lot of trades between AI teams, which is a nice change from a lot of computer sports titles where the AI rarely or never trades, though sometimes it gets carried away, and you see stuff like teams trading for a superstar and then immediately putting them on the trading block. The trades themselves though rarely seem to make much sense. You don't see teams dumping salary and picking up prospects (perhaps because there aren't any, more on that later), instead you see a lot of 'Carlos Delgado for Jim Thome' type trades, where there seems nothing to be gained by either party. The AI puts a lot of players on the trading block. By my 3rd season the league block is full of names like Nomar, Barry Zito, Carlos Beltran, and Jeff Bagwell. But since the AI seems to have no plan when trading, the only way to obtain Carlos Beltran is to give up another player of Beltran's value, rather than say, 3 good prospects, meaning that most top players sit on the trade block for years (Beltran, despite having an affordable contract for some reason, has been on their trading block for 3 years)

About prospects. I'm in the 3rd season of my franchise mode, and I have yet to see a prospect make any kind of impact in the league. It seems that the generated minor leaguers ratings just don't compare to major league quality players. A 25 year old minor league 1st baseman might have contact and power ratings around 50, while even a mediocre 1st baseman like Ken Harvey might have ratings in the 60s or 70s. The league leaders are filled with veterans, many of whom are pushing 40. Does anyone think David Wells will still be pitching in 3 years, and whats more, pitching very well? Each spring training your players improve, but the amounts are typically negligable (at most 3 points per rating). Considering that a 1st round draft pick might have ratings in 30s or 40s, that means 10 seasons before they're good major leaguers. I don't want to say all this is definitely a problem, because I have only played for 3 seasons, but so far it seems so.

Playing through the season is centered around keeping your team happy so they play well. Morale and chemisty play a huge role. Even though this is very unlike actual baseball, its a nice addition because it means that certain games are more important to morale than others (beating a divison rival or a rival in the wildcard chase). Thus it gives you some extra incentive on which games you want to play and which you don't. Individual players have their morale effected by playing time, their own personal performance, and the team performance. It's an interesting system, though heavily flawed. For example, my closer keeps complaining about 'playing time' even though he's closed pretty much every win, and in his contract I designated him as my closer, and he's a relief pitcher (vs. a starter), and he's happy with his salary, and finished 2nd in saves that season. You also get things like a player who was on the DL for 60 days coming off it to complain about playing time.

Playing out a day's worth of games is an awkward affair. First you choose 'play today's games' then you get a list of all the games being played by your franchise that day. Even if you don't want to do anything but quick sim your way through the day, that means six mouse clicks (1 to get to the screen, 1 to click on quick sim for your major, AAA, AA clubs, and one to get to the recap screen, and one to advance to the next day), this all seperated by 3 wooshing screen transitions which are unnecissarily long). I hate to think what all this click is like on a console.

On a nearly daily basis you will recieve a variety of emails, meant to give you information on goings around the league. They generally fall into a few categories: Player morale, trades, injuries, scouting reports. Unfortunately, nearly all these are useless. Player morale is sometimes useful, but often you'll get repeated emails about some AA pitcher who wants more playing time. Trades could be interesting, except that when an AI team puts a big name player on the trading block, you might get a new email every few days letting you know he's available, resulting in dozens of emails over the course of the season telling you that the 42 year old Kevin Brown is on the block. Injuries are injury reports about other teams, often in the other league, and often of short duration. Why do I, as manager of the Reds, care that Chan Ho Park on Texas is out for 8 days? Scouting is the least valuable. It usually tells you stuff like 'The Cardinals have a team era of 4.27'. Thanks, I couldn't have looked that up myself. Additionally, sometimes you get messages that read, literaly 'We have an upcoming series against the Mets. We should choose our matchups wisely.' Thats it? You took 5 seconds out of my busy day to tell me that? Why not just tell me we should try to score more runs than the Mets in our next game! Unfortunately since the useless emails are mixed in with the rare useful email, you end up clicking through them even though they don't tell you anything you really want to know.

You have 4 options on playing each game. Simulate just quickly sims out the game and gives you the result. There is no box score generated which is a bummer. Otherwise you are given the option to look over your starting pitcher and lineup, then you can either do 'Manage', 'Sim' or 'Play'. Play mode is obvious. Sim mode sims the game inning by inning, and allows you to jump in at any half-inning. Manage mode gives you an odd, Out of the Park style text-only presentation. I guess there are some people who will play only using manage only mode, but they'd be much better served by playing OOTP instead. To me the sim mode is a godsend, as it allows you to jump in at any time in a close game, and to just sim out blowouts. Since you can also jump out of a game at any time and sim the rest of it, its doubly useful, and I'd love to see other games use this same technique.

Playing the game has been reviewed a lot in other places, but let me give you my comments. The pitcher interface is the best of any game on the market, and like everyone says, is the one that feels most like 'pitching'. The much hyped true-swing batting system is just that, hype. Basically, you can pick which direction you want to try to hit the ball in addition to swinging. It really adds only a little and is hardly revolutionary. The fundamental flaw in the batter/pitcher interface is one that appears in many other games, but makes it no less annoying: Basically, there are just too many strikes. It's trivial to throw pretty much every pitch in an average pitcher's arsenal on the corners for strikes, consistently. Even on All Star level I can easily hold an AI team to a handful of hits, painting the corners and getting ahead on every hitter. The AI is similarly accurate and lethal. Drawing a walk is the single greatest accomplishment you can do in this game, much more difficult than hitting a triple, for example. Additionally, there's almost never a situation where you might walk an opposing hitter, unless your pitcher is tired and you're trying to pitch around Barry Bonds. Even known wild pitchers like Kerry Wood are deadly accurate. In addition, all pitches can be throw for strikes consistently. In real life, certain pitches, like the splitfinger, are intentionally thrown out of the zone, because their entire benefit is to get the hitter to chase a pitch that looks like it will be a strike. If they stay in the zone they're usually hammered. Additionally, some pitches are just plain HARD to throw for strikes in real life, and rely on their odd motions to fool the batter. But in MVP, splitters, curves, changeups, sliders, all are thrown for strikes, on the corners, for equal effectiveness. Hitting can still be fun. In those rare moments where you can get ahead in the count, and you're waiting for just the right pitch and you nail it for a homer, its a great feeling of accomplishment. One cool feature is that sometimes the pitcher will make a mistake, and for a brief moment you'll get a premonition in the form of a cursor on the strike zone where the pitch is coming. I can't tell if this is completely random or based on the batter's 'plate patience' attribute as it should be, but its a nice feature.

Fielding is very, very flawed. When I first started playing I was incredibly frustrated because my outfielders seemed to move like molasses. But I soon realized it wasn't a flaw in the fielder speed, but rather, some fielders were intentionally 'jogging' towards balls while others were sprinting, and this was with me manually controlling them. The result was that I'd be trying to get under a fly ball but my outfielder was casually strolling over to the catch point, rather than running full tilt. Meanwhile I could see the other outfielder backing up the play running at a full sprint. When I didn't reach the point in time, the ball would pretty much always roll to the gap for a triple, with my fielder STILL running at half speed.

I soon discovered 'assisted' mode where the AI does all the catching and moving, while you just do the throwing. This was when I realized what was happening. MVP 2004 includes slower running animations so you don't end up with the syndrome of all your fielders running around at full sprint all the time. For example, in real life a high fly ball hit to left will result in the left fielder slowly strolling over to get under the ball, rather than sprint and then wait 5 seconds for the ball to drop. Apparently EA decided this would be a nice thing to do for MVP as well. So when you're playing in assisted mode, the fielders essentially run at exactly the speed they need to in order to get to the ball, instead of at their maximum speed. The problem is that this carries over to non-assisted mode as well. Meaning that even though I'm controlling Carlos Beltran, he's only going to run as fast as he feels like, dramatically decreasing my margin for error and resulting in countless triples. This to me is a hideous design decision and I can't fathom why they would let this through in QA.

The throwing system is excellent though. You have a power meter for each throw, and the harder you throw the more likely it will be off target, it works quite well.

Watching the AI field is an odd experience. There are an enormous number of diving catches, and Willie Mays style catches. It's not unusual to see one an inning, even from the least acrobatic fielders. I laughed out-loud when I saw Frank Thomas diving backwards through the air to pluck a pop-foul. Infielders also rarely charge ground balls, rather, staying back on a slow roller and then having to rush the throw. In addition, some of the infielder animations result in a TON of infield hits. Whenever a fielder ranges to their right, they always end up doing the 'Derek Jeter across the body throw' animation, resulting in a poor throw off target. Pretty much every game you'll see catchers and guys like Ellis Burks beating out infield hits.

The in-game AI is at best, mixed. While baserunners seem to usually do logical things, the AI almost never steals (I've seen one steal attempt in about 30 games so far). Additionally, the AI is moronic with the pitchers, in either play more or 'Sim' mode. Pitchers are basically kept in until they start giving up lots of runs. I've seen the AI lead off the 8th inning with their exhausted starting pitcher down by a run and not pinch hit. The AI will routinely start warming up relievers in the 5th inning, even if the starter is cruising, but I've never seen them use those pitchers. In simmed games, the AI does the same for your own pitchers. Additionally, the AI seems to ignore matchups, routinely putting in lefties to face righties, and having lefty specialists stay in for multiple innings. Other times you'll see the AI swap relievers one batter after another.

Stats wise, the game is stuck in the 70s. In both played and simmed games, scores are very low. It's not unexpected to lead the majors with less than 800 runs scored (Boston had nearly 1000 last year), and team ERAs are mostly in 3s. It's routine to see two or three shutouts in a row, even between good offensive teams, or games at Coors field (as far as I can tell there are no simulated park effects) The AI's tendancy to leave starters in too long, relievers in a long time, and the low scores results in relievers picking up tons of decisions, and starters not so many. My team leader in wins is typically my middle reliever (as I mentioned earlier, Jim Mecir finished 5th in Cy Young voting when he went 13-2 in relief), with all my starters, even on a winning team, finishing between 10-14 wins and 10-14 losses.

Sadly, the game includes sliders, as all sports games do now, but its missing the one you'd want the most (pitcher accuracy). Why they would leave this out is beyound me, so no easily solution to the pitcher accuracy problem. In addition, there are no managerial tendancies, so its impossible to set your team up to steal a lot of bases, or favor relief matchups, or make defensive replacements. In a football game this might seem less important, becasue you've only got 16 games in a season so you'll probably play them all, but in a baseball game with 162 games, you have to assume that most players will only play 10 or so games per season.

As for the offseason, it consists of several phases. There's the typical re-sign your players phase, and the draft. The draft has 10 rounds, but is pretty much entirely flavorless, with little differentiation between prospects as far as I can tell. Free agency is 6 rounds long, and is reasonably well done for what it is. There are usually several quality free agents available after free agency is over. This is because they refuse to modify their salary demands even though not a single team in the league has enough salary points to hire them. In my third season there are a about 30 players all asking 2000-3000 points per season in the free agency pool (in May!) and not a single team has a budget that could sign one of these players.

So how do I feel about the game in summary? Well, for one thing, I'm kinda desperate right now because we're in a huge gaming lull and I'm bored. So I've played a lot of this game. There are many solid moments, such as when you make good contact with a pitch and hit it where you meant to, or when you manage to draw that elusive walk. I also love making trades and signing free agents, designing my team, etc. Though one of the biggest enjoyments of any franchise mode, developing youngsters, seems to be non-existant since none of them, seem any good. Frequently your scout will point out someone as a hot prospect, but when you go look at him his ratings might be 13 contact, 25 power (where, as I said, you need like 50 or so to make even a decent backup) and he's 23 years old. How is this guy a prospect? As far as I can tell he won't ever be useful. Additionally with older players hanging around seemingly forever, there is less need to use those minor leaguers.

In conclusion, I'll probably play this game a few more days, filling in the emptiness that is the March gaming lull, but my interest is already fading, and will probably fade completely once another game grabs my attention. The frustrating thing is that it could be an excellent game with a few tweaks. Fixing the fielder running animations, adding a slider for pitcher accuracy, making a few small AI tweaks, and boosting prospect development would result in the best game of its kind, not OOTP, but an OOTP light with a great on-field product. But since this is an EA 'We don't patch gameplay' Sports game, we'll have to hope they get it right next year.
Old 03-12-04, 02:29 PM

Wow. That's a depressing review.
Old 03-12-04, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
There's one beautifully detailed MVP review written by someone in the Operation Sports forum. Since registration is required (although if you're into sports games, you should have registered there long ago), I'll also paste it here instead of just linking to it.

http://forums.operationsports.com/ub...5&o=31&fpart=1

I wish "professional" reviews had 10% of this detail. As you will see, though, they're never allocated this much space (in print, at least)...
I'll touch base (no pun intended lol) on a few of the reviews key points....

The reviewer is exactly right about the acrobatic catches. I see at least one per inning per team. Balls that should go past the 2nd baseman or shortstop are caught with one hand high above the head.

A few times I have made errors or the computer has made them, and they are ruled infield hits or base hits. I am sorry but when someone muffs a catch completely and allows a run to score, that is an error.

I noticed there is no way to back out of your game once you get to the rotation/batting order screen. You either have to sim, manage, or play the game. That is just plain stupid.

I think the reviewer is wrong about the box scores. I have seen them, they are there.

I am still looking forward to ESPN, but I heard that it got pretty low reviews in a few magazines, so who knows, I might go with ASB this year for my Xbox.
Old 03-12-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Are there any plans for an Xbox live enabled baseball game where everyone just plays one player? so you just see the game from a fielder perspective? it would be boring for the most part but would be kind of neat.
Old 03-12-04, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by DaveNinja
Are there any plans for an Xbox live enabled baseball game where everyone just plays one player? so you just see the game from a fielder perspective?
No.
Old 03-13-04, 10:10 AM

There was talk of a computer game where everyone plays as one person, but I haven't seen any info about it in a while
Old 03-13-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Color me angry with the PC version of the game... the gamepad support appears to be very limited, only supporting 5 specific controllers. There doesn't seem to be a generic profile, so my Saitek P2500 Rumble Pad, which is exactly like the Saitek P880 except with rumble, doesn't seem to work. Sigh. Really dont want to play with my keyboard...
Old 03-13-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by fumanstan
Color me angry with the PC version of the game... the gamepad support appears to be very limited, only supporting 5 specific controllers. There doesn't seem to be a generic profile, so my Saitek P2500 Rumble Pad, which is exactly like the Saitek P880 except with rumble, doesn't seem to work. Sigh. Really dont want to play with my keyboard...
There is a work around that may work, I saw it on the Gamefaqs board. I guess it tricks your PC into thinking you have the supported gamepad. Here it is:

Get a Dual Shock PS2 controller and the $10 adapter from Radio Shack. There's a little registry trick that will allow you to use any controller you have, and it works for me. Before I changed it, it wasn't detected.

1. Open Regedit (Start>Run>regedit)

2. Make your way to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProp erties\ Joystick\OEM\

3. You'll see a bunch of entries like VID_045E&PID_000XXXX and when you click on it, it should have the name of a controller in the right pane

4. For me, it was the last entry. Keep going down the list until the controller that has the same name in your Controller is shown on the right window.

5. Delete the description for that window on the right window and rename it to Logitech Dual Action.

(Example: My controller name was simply USB Generic Controller or something like that, so I just renamed it and it was immediately detected in game.)

---------------------------------------------------------
I actually have a Logitech Dual Action pad and it looks exactly like a PS2 controller. It's an awesome gamepad if you don't mind paying $15-$20 for it. Otherwise, use a PS2 controller, and the fix to make it work
Old 03-13-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thanks for the tip, it worked excellent for my gamepad after editing my registry. Except for the PS2 controller... those suck
Old 03-13-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the tip, it worked excellent for my gamepad after editing my registry. Except for the PS2 controller... those suck

It does feel different after getting used to the Xbox controller, but it'll do
Old 03-13-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Speaking of which, anyone know of any updated rosters for PC?

Edit: Found a site here

http://www.mvpmods.com/

Last edited by fumanstan; 03-13-04 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-13-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I just played MVP 2004 for the first time, and well...it sucks.

It's way too hard, I was down 12-0 after 2 innings. I managed to get one hit. I had it on Pro, and I'd imagine rookie mode would be way too easy. I even had auto fielding on, and my guys were as slow as snails in the outfield, frequently chasing after balls. I think the other team got 3 triples, and one inside the park HR in the first inning.

I am pretty sure I will be taking this game back. What a disappointment.

EDIT: I tried a rookie game, and sure enough, I won 13-3. Still, it was pretty fun. I'll give this one another chance to make me keep it
you just need to practice more..if you didnt have mvp last year it takes awhile to get used to. i've probably played about 10 games so far against the cpu on pro difficulty and ive won 7 out of 10. six of the 10 games were won by only 1 run. the most i won by was 12-3. it takes time to get used to everything in the game. the game doesnt suck...until you get used to how its played, its just you that sucks
Old 03-14-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same slow player problem until I adjusted those silders to about 30 for fielder speed. No problems at all now.

The only thing I don't like is I can not turn the little pop-up window (when you miss the ball) off.
Old 03-14-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of which, anyone know of any updated rosters for PC?

Edit: Found a site here

http://www.mvpmods.com/
Awesome site, has some cool downloads. I hope to see more jerseys soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.