Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Old 03-14-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally posted by TaTTooD
you just need to practice more..if you didnt have mvp last year it takes awhile to get used to. i've probably played about 10 games so far against the cpu on pro difficulty and ive won 7 out of 10. six of the 10 games were won by only 1 run. the most i won by was 12-3. it takes time to get used to everything in the game. the game doesnt suck...until you get used to how its played, its just you that sucks
Yeah, I take back my sucks comments. It's a good game. At least until ESPN comes out
Old 03-14-04, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know of a good site to download updated rosters (majors and minors) for PS2? I'm not online with the PS2, but I do have a sharkport, so I'm able to update that way.

Thanks
Old 03-14-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Frank_M
Anyone know of a good site to download updated rosters (majors and minors) for PS2? I'm not online with the PS2, but I do have a sharkport, so I'm able to update that way.

Thanks
Well, the guy who runs www.mvprosters.com has an update with many of the non-MLBPA players and post-1/15/04 transactions. He says that he'll have the minor league players in the update by the 15th.
Old 03-14-04, 07:47 PM

Oh, ok. I'll check that out. I guess I'd gotten the impression that that was PC-only, not PS2.
Old 03-15-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, ok. I'll check that out. I guess I'd gotten the impression that that was PC-only, not PS2.
Yeah, they're PS2. I downloaded the first version last week, but it barely had any moves or players. He's supposedly improved it since then, so I'll try it again today.

For XBOX owners, those rosters are on that site as well, and should be up faster than the PS2 ones (with actual minor leaguers).
Old 03-15-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My offense has finally gotten going on the pro level, winning my last 2 games 7-2 and 4-2 . Sitting at 5-1 for the year with the Yanks.
Old 03-15-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see the "yellow" and "green" trails on the ball when it's pitched like they show in the tutorial. Am I missing something?
Old 03-15-04, 01:59 PM

I've played two exhibition games.. and in each (on the pro level) I had a player hit two HRs:

I hit two in a game with Ty Wiggington, then another two with Wes Helms. Maybe only 3B's hit HR's? :-)

I think when the roster updates are done, this will be a pretty good game.

The worst part right now is the sluggish OF's going after balls. Too many 3Bs against me.
Old 03-15-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I don't see the "yellow" and "green" trails on the ball when it's pitched like they show in the tutorial. Am I missing something?
As far as I can tell, there are no colored trails coming from pitches you throw in the actual game. They were colored so they would standout during the tutorial.
Old 03-15-04, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
The worst part right now is the sluggish OF's going after balls. Too many 3Bs against me.
I belive you can adjust their speed under the Gameplay tuning options.....
Old 03-15-04, 03:11 PM

Well, I think I've gotten the pitching down. Last 2 games played I won 5-2 and 7-0. Playing as the Angels, had Escobar starting pitched 7 innings and gave up 2 runs....second game Colon started and pitched a complete game 2-hit shut-out. Got some bonus MVP points for it too . Offense I'm starting to get the hang of it...still no Homers yet . I'm starting to love this game. The challenge, gameplay, the Dynasty mode, etc are all great.
Old 03-15-04, 03:19 PM

best baseball game....ever
Old 03-15-04, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by Setzer
I belive you can adjust their speed under the Gameplay tuning options.....
But won't that increase the speed of the CPU outfielders as well, thus killing more of your offensive opportunities?
Old 03-15-04, 05:01 PM

it has different user and cpu sliders
Old 03-15-04, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How are you guys pitching so good? I tried a full game on pro, and I lost 10-5. I hit 3 homers, and had 3 doubles, but my pitching was horrible. I gave up 16 hits, including 9 doubles, 3 triples, and 2 homers. That means just 2 hits were singles. I have auto fielding on, so that can't be the problem.

Another thing, when I did get the batter out, it was a grounder or deep fly. No pop ups. No strikeouts. Plus half of my outs were circus catch type outs. I would have lost by 15 if I hadn't made them.

When you pitch, do you always put the ball in the strike zone? I always aim for the cold areas, and try to have the ball half in the zone, half out. I rarely throw balls, the computer almost always swings at the first pitch, and when I do throw one out of the zone, they never swing at it. When they do swing and miss, it's often early because of a changeup.

I don't mind losing games here and there, but when I lose them because of too many doubles, and computer making contact on every pitch, it gets frustrating. Am I doomed to play rookie mode and win by 15 every game forever?
Old 03-15-04, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by crow121
best baseball game....ever
I wouldn't go that far, but it's pretty good. The fact that player progression is completely broken and the large number of fielding/stat bugs prevent it from being one of the best.

Taylor34
Old 03-15-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One of the funny bugs I noticed, well actually two of them....

After the game, the PA announcer says "Join us tomorrow for another game between the Anaheim Angels (or whatever team you are) and the Seattle Mariners "(or whatever team you're playing). He says this even after the final game of a series has been played.

The other bug was the replay that shows you swinging and missing, the ball is never caught by the catcher, it just goes through his glove as if every strike was dropped.

Not annoying or anything, just funny. Anyone else have any weird or funny bugs to report?
Old 03-15-04, 10:32 PM

those were the two bugs that i noticed also, until i found a weird one today. I was pitching and i took a 15 minute break without pausing the game, and when i started to play again, the whole game had lost its sound. There was no music or anything even in the menus in dynasty mode. Just a strange little bug.
Old 03-15-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I played another game on pro, and lost 13-7. I gave up 23 hits this time. I have no problems hitting homers it seems. My pitching sucks, though. Seven doubles, and one homer given up in the loss. All first pitch swinging by the computer.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 03-16-04, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Played another pro game, and thought I'd gotten better, but I hadn't. Lost 23-5 to the Rangers. They had 31 hits, I had 6. Three of my hits were homers. They had 13 doubles, 2 triples, and 4 homers. They lead by 10 after 2 innings, and batted around twice. Two of their players hit for the cycle.

Do I just suck or something, or am I not doing it right? This is so unrealistic, it's making the game not fun.

Then I get an email saying one of my players became the first player to hit 10 homers this season and is on pace for 101.

ugh!
Old 03-16-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I played as the Red Sox against the Devil Rays (in pro level), and I lost 3-1. I find that pitch selection is HUGE.

Using Pedro if I didnt max out the pitch, even the crumby Devil Rays pitchers would crush it.

Hitting on the other hand...is an art I havent even begun to master. I just read that you can use the control stick to "direct" where you hit the ball...either flies, grounders, etc. maybe that will help me when I play tonight.
Old 03-16-04, 09:52 AM

you have to max out the pitches and make sure you get the cursor back into the green section. if not, the computer will crush all the pitches. i'm on pro level and i've shut out the computer 4 games in a row, with the orioles.
Old 03-16-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I am still looking forward to ESPN, but I heard that it got pretty low reviews in a few magazines, so who knows, I might go with ASB this year for my Xbox.
I haven't seen any reviews for ESPN yet. It just got delayed, maybe that has something to do with it. But I just checked GameRankings and they have no reviews from any of the magazings, so my thinking is that it hasn't been reviewed yet. There's still hope for WSB/ESPN fans!

The only thing I've seen was in Game Informer, and they broke down each feature and ranked the games based on feature availability and hype. MVP and ESPN were neck-and-neck in that article.

Jeremy
Old 03-16-04, 10:46 AM

What Crow121 said....you gotta make sure to hit the 'max' and then on the way back make sure you hit in the green area on all your pitches. The cold areas are good targets but I also try and throw balls just outside their red zone. Like if a hitter likes it inside...I'll come inside out of the zone and usually with a slider. If I go outside high I'll usually throw a change...been successful with it so far. This is definitely not a baseball game you can rush...you have to actually take the time and make pitches.
Old 03-16-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love rocking the batter .. pitching up, down, in, out. I've had a number of strikeouts where the batter just stood there and didn't take a swing.

I do wish that the frequency of the replays and misses could be set to "OFF" and not just "low."

Even my 4 year-old son likes this game, and has taken a few of my pitches out of the park. However, it is still hard for him to throw to the correct base, and just about every throw ends up at home plate.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.