Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Old 04-07-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
So, anyone pick up ESPN yet?
Not released until next week....

EDIT: Ok, I checked Gamestop.com and it says the Xbox version is already shipping but the PS2 version ships next week.

Bestbuy.com still says next week for both versions, though.

So is it out yet, or not?

Last edited by nickdawgy; 04-07-04 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-08-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nickdawgy
Not released until next week....

EDIT: Ok, I checked Gamestop.com and it says the Xbox version is already shipping but the PS2 version ships next week.

Bestbuy.com still says next week for both versions, though.

So is it out yet, or not?
I know XBOX is out for sure....not sure if it's out everywhere though. I know they bumped the release date to April 8th.
Old 04-08-04, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
I know XBOX is out for sure....not sure if it's out everywhere though. I know they bumped the release date to April 8th.
The Gamestop by my work had a whole stack of ESPN Baseball (XB). Didn't see any PS2 yet.

Jeremy
Old 04-08-04, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was planning on buying it at Best Buy to use the GGC, but like I said, they have it listed as being released next week.

I can wait, though. People don't seem to be too thrilled about the game, and I have MVP to keep me busy until then.
Old 04-08-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check out www.espnvideogames.com for some reviews and hands-on impressions in their chat board
Old 04-09-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Has anyone seen ESPN Baseball for Xbox at EB Games? I'd like to pick it uo today if possible.

On a related note, IGN gave the game an 8.4, but I swear it had to be the most scathing review of an 8.4 rated game I've ever seen. It's like they liked a lot of stuff, but the stuff they hated was stuff that made it seem like it was leading to the end of the world. I think I'll still pick it up, as overall it looks great.
Old 04-09-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am picking up the Xbox version of ESPN today at Best Buy (which still says it isn't released til next week, yet they have it in stock). I am sure most EB's have it. My local Gamestop has it as well.
Old 04-09-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I piked it up today....great game thus far (haven't played MVP though). Started the GM Career mode....pretty neat stuff.
Old 04-10-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to my local Best Buy only to have them say their shipment hadn't arrived yet. The computer said they had plenty in stock, but the guy looked in the back and it was nowhere to be found.

I also went to Game Crazy and their computer said they had 2 in stock. The guy found one, but it was reserved for someone else. Not paid reserve, mind you, just a "Can you hold it for me" reserve. He was unable to locate the other one.

Apparently the computers in both stores were lying. Pissed me off, now I gotta go back and check later.
Old 04-13-04, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, picked up the game from Game Crazy today. Traded in a few plat hits I never play anymore to basically get the game for free, so that was cool.

Anyhow, I like the game so far. All the retro uniforms from last year are back, and more. They totally kill MVP in this area. MVP has like 5 retros for each team, and ESPN has at least 7-8 per team.

I played one game, I won 5-3 vs the Mariners. After Boone homered against me in the 5th, I threw at Edgar, and nailed him, and he hurt his hamstring trying to get out of the way

I hit two homers in the game, they hit one. You have the option of timed hitting (which I prefer) or the batting cursor. Also, there is the classic batting control (which is button for all swings but bunts) or the power/contact two button scheme. I like the one button setup, because I hate having to choose whether to knock the crap outta the ball or get a piece of it.

The announcing feels very real, very lifelike. That's a nice touch.

Haven't really messed with the other options, yet.

I did notice they fixed the replay bug from WSB 2k3. For those of you that don't know about the replay bug, it was very annoying. For example, say you turned a double play, and the replay would come on, you'd only see the toss to second, then the replay would end before you even saw the throw to first. Now you see the whole thing. Strangely enough, I noticed MVP has a sort of replay bug this year, but that's another story.

Anyhow, if you're still on the fence about the game, I'd definitely recommend it
Old 04-13-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I threw at Edgar, and nailed him, and he hurt his hamstring trying to get out of the way
Now that's what I call realism Edgar is old as dirt
Old 04-14-04, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by SuprVgeta
Now that's what I call realism Edgar is old as dirt
Yeah
Old 04-14-04, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was playing MVP earlier today, and I got spam in my MVP inbox

EA sure did think of everything
Old 04-14-04, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More pros and cons of ESPN:

Pros:

You can choose the stadium you play in even during franchise games. This is nice if you feel like having a throwback game or something, or if you just feel like playing in the other teams stadium.

The computer will retaliate for you throwing at them. Most likely the next inning they'll throw at you.

Cons:

Pitching is a joke. MVP is soooooo much better in regards to pitching control.

Too easy to hit home runs. I must have hit 15 in my first 3 games.

Too many errors and miscues.

Not enough injuries.

The box score after the game is pathetic. MVP's is better.

Baserunning is too difficult and runners do stupid things like stay at first on a for sure double.

No charging the mound, your pitcher just gets booted. Also, you don't even see the ump throwing him out, just says choose a new pitcher. Pretty lame.

My opinion of the game has changed. I still like it, but I will be playing MVP a whole lot more.