Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Champions Of Norrath

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked it up this afternoon and played some.

I'm still getting used to the layout, but it's not much different than BG. The graphics and sound are well done so far. I did notice a few slowdowns in framerate, but that was when a ton of guys were on the screen.

If you like BG, then you'll like this game. It was made by the guys that did the original BGA. You'll probably notice some similarities too.
Old 02-12-04, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked this up yesterday and it is totally awesome. If you liked BGA then you will love this game. I've Played and beaten both BG's and this in my opinion is so much better. The grafics are on par with BG and the controls are spot on besides it being a little hard to aim your spells at times.(Not a big deal in any case) Plus, the best thing is that there is so much going on around you than just the hack'n'slash. Short cut scenes will pop up or you will run across a group of NPC's that fight with you for a short while to help out, etc. Even the Chic from the cover of the Everquest games makes an appearance as a mystic sort of ghost. That is about as far as I got yesterday. Me and a friend played for about 4 hours and we loved every minute. Plus, The other great thing about this game is that it is tough. I the BG games, I must have only died about 3 times total. I've already died about 7 or 8 times and I'm only at the beginning of the game.
Plus, I almost forgot. When you pick out your Character, there is 5 different classes and you can be a male or female of each. This is good because I always pick a chic because they are easier on the eyes, but I can still be the barbarien and not lose any skills because its the girl. Then you can change the way they look to a point. Color of skin, hair style and hair color, and facial hair style if your a guy. This is a must have for anyone who is a fan of the genre even if you don't like playing online like myself. The single player game or coop game is a blast.
Old 02-12-04, 01:16 PM

Is it just me or is this game like way harder than DGA2?
Old 02-12-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It is harder, but not so much that it takes away the fun.
Old 02-12-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Good to hear; both BG's were easier than I would have liked.
But I don't want it to be frustrating-hard.
Old 02-12-04, 05:39 PM

Maybe I just suck but it's pretty damn frustrating hard for me.... -_-
Old 02-12-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If my wife can enjoy it without getting mad, then it's not frustrating-hard.

Guess you just need to practice more, kaiyouske.
Old 02-13-04, 01:04 AM

Has anyone found this at Target yet. Ive been waiting to use my 1 raincheck on it and can't seem to find it anywhere.
Old 02-13-04, 10:19 AM

This game reminds me so much of Diablo 2.
I bought last night & fell in love instantly.
I love the idea of somewhat being able to "create a character" in this game.
I love the idea of being able to choose what sex your character is,often i have really like a certain character race but have passed because of their sex.
Old 02-13-04, 01:23 PM

I agree with the statements about the game being a nice addition to any hack and slash fan's collection. Of course it being
an Everquest game..I don't know that anyone would have expected it to come to the xbox. However, I would hope that Snowblind is not obligated to sony exclusively...as they could have just as easily added onlline connectivity to baldur's gate. My hope is they have something similar cooking for xbl.

Now as for the xboxlive vs psonline...well...ps is based on pc online. In itself is somewhat of the reason why many would justify the yearly fee(though if you pick up xblive kits when retailers clearance them or have a sale..you can renew for less...case in point target had them for 34.99 in sept of last year.
so I got an additional year plus a backup headset plus tetris online(great for the kids/wife/girlfriend/casualplayers)). I can more than say I would pay for the services provided...every game has voice. You have friend's list which spans every game.
In essence it is the little things. I was very skeptical initially about the need for voice in games. I could understand for team based games, voice could be useful(coming from rtcw on pc w/o voice). I was totally blow away by voice...it takes games and the people you play with to another level. You actually get to know the people in a way written words do not allow. As many of you know ...it is easy to be an ass/jerk/toughguy when typing...it is not so much the case when you are talking to people. That I am glad for.[/offtopic]

as for CoN...I would kill for something similar be on Live...and PSO doesn't count for the sole fact that sega in their aweinspiring business sense feel it is necessary to charge for a 4 player coop game. I know a few people who would have bought the game were it not for the fee. From anyone who has played pso in dreamcast days, they can attest to the addicting nature of the game.[//offtopic]

I don't have a ps..but truth be told...the online setup does nothing for me. In other words, to this point there was not one game on ps that made me think of getting one. CoN is it. Now...if the online service would have that kind of pull ..I'd be on it.
Old 02-14-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A couple of us at work (Gamestop) picked the game up and played online the other night. It worked quite well. No lag, disconnects etc. The ability to talk as long as you want, whenever you want helped as well....no pushing a button to talk like SOCOM. Offline, the game is great....still too easy, but great. I have yet to die, and probably never will now that I'm nearing lvl 20. The ability to add gems and such to weapons and armor is also a nice addition. I can't wait to beat the game and try it again on the higher difficulty's to get better equipment.
Old 02-15-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just curious, but what are y'all buying at the shops? I have tons of gold and am not really buying much from the shops.

Most of the stuff in my inventory is from killing monsters. Some of the armor has been good, but not many weapons have been better. I'm on Act II, so maybe they'll eventually get better.

Great game so far!
Old 02-15-04, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BigDave
Just curious, but what are y'all buying at the shops? I have tons of gold and am not really buying much from the shops.

Most of the stuff in my inventory is from killing monsters. Some of the armor has been good, but not many weapons have been better. I'm on Act II, so maybe they'll eventually get better.

Great game so far!
Yeah, I am finding that the only things I spend my money on in shops are potions. The same thing happened to me with Dark Alliance 2, except there I could spend all my money on gems and at the workshop.
Old 02-15-04, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is it just me..or does dual wielding suck? You do a significant less amount of damage and your attack speed does not seem to increase that much...
Old 02-15-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, potions are the main thing I get. It'd be nice if you could buy the upgrade gems too. I haven't found too many so far.

I haven't tried dual-wielding yet. In fact, I didn't really know you could in CoN.
Old 02-15-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BigDave
Yeah, potions are the main thing I get. It'd be nice if you could buy the upgrade gems too. I haven't found too many so far.

I haven't tried dual-wielding yet. In fact, I didn't really know you could in CoN.

It is one of the Barbarians skills. You can get it at Level 10. I just don't think it is worth it at all, unless there is something I am missing.
Old 02-16-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I've bought one weapon, and occasionally a pair of boots or gloves. But generally, I too find most of my cool stuff instead of buying it. I wish you could remove the gems from items : ( I've used two, for about 1/2 hour each, then found a better armor even without the gem.
Old 02-16-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm having a blast with this game. I haven't tried multi-player yet, but it's great so far in single-player.
Old 02-16-04, 02:22 PM
Suspended

Money in this game has no point. Pointless. Without point.
Old 02-16-04, 10:41 PM

Yep, so far money has been useless. I finished game on normal difficulty with over one million gold heh. Hopefully I can wittle that down in the next two difficulties. I'm starting to think this game should have had item decay like D2, and a gambling mini-game.
Old 02-17-04, 12:16 AM

yep, money is pointless, and this game is very short. I had 2 games going...beat 1, almost finished with 2nd. At least it has replay value, but shouldnt a game take more than 2-3 nights to almost beat 2 times?
Old 02-17-04, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How many acts are there? We just started Act III last night.
Old 02-17-04, 06:39 AM

I think there are five acts total. The level designers responsible for the first two quests in Act IV should be shot...repeatedly.
Old 02-17-04, 03:07 PM

and act V is like 1 stage long, basically a boss fight
Old 02-17-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What's the quoted average play time on this game? Short like BG: DA?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.