Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Soul Calibur II Rocks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-03, 08:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Soul Calibur II Rocks!!!

Originally posted by Cyberock
I think the sound is terrific. What's wrong with the sound? Are you playing it on a dolby digital 5.1 surround sound system? I am and I think it sounds great. I hear the wind in the back speakers and the sound just really seems to immerse me into the game. I really disagree with saying the sound isn't good.
I played only Spawn so far, and in the end when you beat the boss, while the animation went on, the sound was not present. In the main menu, i was expecting music but there was none. Sound while in gameplay mode is great and no complaints about that. I guess i was expecting a continuation of music and sound all throughout the game. Just a preference i suppose.
Old 08-27-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Soul Calibur II Rocks!!!

Originally posted by Cyberock
The game does support 5.1 unlike the PS2 and Cube version which is only Doby Prologic II.

Another bonus on the Xbox version is the support of 720p compared to only 480p on Cube and I believe 480p ( I did read somewhere 525p so I'm not sure) on PS2. The game looks amazing on my HDTV.
Thanks.. ctyner, Giantrobo, I meant to ask if the GAME supported 5.1, I know the Xbox does. heh..
Old 08-27-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joltaddict
Damn you are a serious dweeb.
Now did ya figure that out all by yourself?
Old 08-27-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Now did ya figure that out all by yourself?
I prefer Ivy. She has the slutiest outfit.
Old 08-28-03, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know... I never played it before and everyone was on my case about it saying it's the best fighter ever. So I picked up the Dreamcast version and played it... meh... nothing special. Still, everyone was still ga ga over SC2, but every time I've played it I've been disappointed. Probably a case of overhype, but I just don't see what's so special about it. It's a button masher and not a very good one at that. Graphics are mediocre and the action doesn't seem all that different from other 3D fighters. I prefer DOA3... heck, I even prefer the new Mortal Kombat. I'm sure it's just that my expectations were too high.
Old 08-28-03, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Is that morse code?

Uhm, no -.- is a person giving you "the look." Notice the eyes and nose
Old 08-28-03, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up my copy today at GameStop and recieved that art book that came with the reservation, its pretty cool. It has some character bios, weapons list and arena list as well. The cover art is nice as well, good deal for any of you who preordered it at GS. Oh, i havent played the game yet tho
Old 08-28-03, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It's a button masher and not a very good one at that.
Button mashing in this game will only get you so far. the best part of SCII is that any scmuck can grab the controller and pick it up fast but the mastering of moves and combo's is there and it's one kick ass game when you have your zen all set out. great game for one and all.
Old 08-28-03, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Button mashing in this game will only get you so far. the best part of SCII is that any scmuck can grab the controller and pick it up fast but the mastering of moves and combo's is there and it's one kick ass game when you have your zen all set out. great game for one and all.
Yeah - I know... alot of games are like that. It's just that I had the original for a few months and hadn't played it - then a friend visiting from out of town wanted to play. Now, supposedly he was on a team and went in tournaments (this is Korea and we're talking about the arcade version), but I kicked his ass. It is his favorite game and he said he would play for money in tournaments and win often. All I did was mash buttons... "uhh... which one is punch?" *mash mash mash* and he's all doing all the crazy moves and combos. It didn't matter, I beat his ass. That really disappointed me cuz a game should be a button masher. We played about 4 other fighters that I have and he handed me my ass on all of them. Even ones he had never played before - he was doing moves on those and of course I would button mashing. Those are good games in my opinion. SC (and SC2 in my estimation) just doesn't live up to the hype IMO.
Old 08-28-03, 06:19 AM

anyone else find the controls for SC2 slightly off ?? I picked up the xbox version last night. Having played the first one to death on dreamcast I figured the feel of the game would be identical on SC2. But it felt like the attack buttons were not working quite the same. For example, you can press the quick attack button in succession to fast or your character will do nothing.

The graphics and sound are awesome, but I like the gameplay of the DC version way better.
Old 08-28-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

-.- . -.- . -.- .
Old 08-28-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grrr.... can't wait to get my copy tomorrow... I love the pick up and play aspect of the original but it rewarded you for gaining knowledge of the system.
Old 08-28-03, 01:23 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Trigger
It's a button masher and not a very good one at that.
Originally posted by Trigger
I prefer DOA3

Different strokes for different folks. Most people consider the DOA series to be the most friendly for button mashers.

As Jack said, button mashing will only get you so far in SC and SCII. A skilled player will wipe out a button masher. In DOA button mashers can have pretty good success against all but the best players. The SC fighting engine is just so much more balanced and deep, with a ton more little intricacies to learn.

I've always hated the DOA series. A bunch of lame girl fighters with ridiculously large bouncing tits is a turn off for me in a fighting game as well.
Old 08-28-03, 10:01 PM

After putting in a few hours now I can honestly say i'm not impressed. Just isn't different enough from Soul Calibur, making it very boring to me. Oh well should be easy enough to sell.
Old 08-28-03, 10:47 PM
Banned

Boy now I know why I don't like the demo it cause I just suck at it now. I got my ass hammered into the ground pretty damn bad. I hold block yet the computer still hits me so block is not working. They also block all my moves too so like is the demo harder then the easy setting on the full game. I'm going to have to set it to easy to get used to the game again. I hope the easy setting on the full game is easer then the demo was for me. Could someone please answer this for me I beg ya.

Just in case the above is hard to read I put it simple is the easy mode in the full game like the demo from OXM or is it easer then the demo.
Old 08-28-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
You should try the weapons master mode. it will teach you the baiscs in a story line mode. allowing you to get secret characters and teaching you how to counter right. a basic block wont cut it really.
Old 08-28-03, 11:43 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You should try the weapons master mode. it will teach you the baiscs in a story line mode. allowing you to get secret characters and teaching you how to counter right. a basic block wont cut it really.
OHHHHHH OK cool I will gave it a rent then and see if I can be good at it like I was on DC. Care to gave me any tips or know where I can find some tips? All I know is that demo was hard as **** for me so I'm hoping the easy setting is easer then that demo. Could you tell me if this is the case?
Old 08-29-03, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you are new to the game or are falling under the button masher syndrome try the basics. Point in a direction and press a slash button. each direction combined with the action should create a different sort of slash. play with them a little and you will see what works best with long range and short range fighters.
Old 08-29-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TOPDAWG
. . . I was getting my ass headed to me really bad.

Old 08-29-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I played the XBOX demo and got hooked on this game.

Does anyone know if this will become a Platinum hit in 6-7 months? If it falls to $19.99 I can wait to buy it. Right now I can get it for $39.99 plus tax and get a free shirt, so I don't know if this is a great deal now and also a few months from now.

The thing is, I don't have to have it NOW, but I remember paying $40 for Zelda used and kicking myself that I didn't buy it for $50 new with the extra disc.

So buy now or later?
Old 08-29-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deb.. no way this game will be Platinum for a while. A t-shirt is not near as cool as a bonus game (espically a bonus game as cool as Ocarina).. so I don't think it'll be that horrible to get it later. Unless you really want that shirt. Heh.

BTW.. I know several places I can get the Ocarina bonus disc.. usually $19.99 or $24.99.. do you need it?
Old 08-29-03, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Deb, I knew you'd see the light. Fighting games can be a blast.

I also hate buying a game and then watching the price drop quickly, but if the past is any guide, DOA 3 (the most popular fighter on the Xbox) took about 22 months to become a Platnum title and Namco's Tekken Tag Team took about 2 years to become a GH. Tekken 4 released a year ago and didn't sell that well is marked down to $29.99 now but still isn't a GH. So it might be a while before it hits the $19.99 price point.

Maybe I could loan you my copy sometime if you like?
Old 08-29-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hey... got it... it is REALLY cool The only reason I bought it is because CodeJunkies will have codes on Monday - unlimited time, unlimited health, everything unlocked, etc.

I'm going to try to sell the shirt on eBay... it is just some barely naked female, and no way I'm wearing that out in public. Why oh why can't we have a barely naked Link... sigh

I'm thinking on the Bonus Ocarina disk... if I have the N64 version is it that much better?

So most likely over a year until it reaches platinum... I can live with the $42.89 it cost me
Old 08-29-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok I freaking hate this game. I just spent the last 10 minutes trying to do a B button attack. I finally looked at the controls and to do a B attack you have to press Y. Now tell me in which universe that makes sense

Loving this game!

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-29-03 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-29-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It depends.. it's in a higher resolution but that doesn't hide the pimative graphics (esp. compared to the beautiful Wind Waker). You'd get to play with a DECENT controller.. and the Master Quest is cool as hell. However since you did mention codes for Soul Calibur I doubt you'd appriceate the extra challenge Master Quest presents.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.