Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Prime

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-02, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't normally use guides yet I find that with the FF series you have to. Some of the secrets are insane and it really baffles me that a sane person will be able to find all that there is hidden in the game. What the heck is Square thinking when they program these games?
Old 11-05-02, 03:08 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see any problem with using a guide to find everything after beating a game.

The FF games are easy to beat without using a guide, but it is tough to find everything without using a guide.

Personally, I've never had the desire to find everything in any RPG. 40+ hours is more than enough time to spend on one single player game IMO. There's just too many great games (and not enough time) for me to try to find everything in these types of games.
Old 11-05-02, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To those who buy guidebooks....you all ARE aware of gamefaqs.com....right?

If you were buying a guide with every game, think about how much you'd save if you just checked the web.
Old 11-05-02, 06:14 PM
Retired

No kidding. Guide books are so overpriced. I mean it's nice to have pictures and maps and what not as it can be tough to find the hint you need in some games at gamefaqs, but I'd rather save my money.
Old 11-05-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Zodo
To those who buy guidebooks....you all ARE aware of gamefaqs.com....right?

If you were buying a guide with every game, think about how much you'd save if you just checked the web.
I rarely buy a strategy guide, but I did for Animal Crossing. Its nice to have pictures of all the furniture sets and items when trying to put stuff together.

As far as this game goes. I can probably get by with gamefaqs if I get stuck. The Nintendo $70 deal is tempting, but I already have it prepaid at EB and I would rather play it on launch day than wait a week for shipping.
Old 11-05-02, 09:27 PM

I personally can't AFFORD this game, I was planning to buy a gamecube and MP, but my car beckons to me for repairs , you guys can enjoy MP while I can enjoy life w/ a pos car that costs $$$$ to repair.... BTW I'm accepting payplal donations
Old 11-07-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

More praise from IGN, this time from a PS2 editor! The following is from IGN's Playstation 2 column, The Station (#9). Here is a short excerpt:
November 06, 2002 - Good God, what a week. See, I was all good and ready to lose myself in Vice City, essentially cutting off all contact with reality (or as I like to call it, "Non-Vice City Land") and pouring myself into Rockstar North's world. For a couple days, this was the case. I still had to work, of course, so my stints with Vice City were limited to a few hours at most. I was having a good time building up my criminal empire, exploring the fictitious Florida city's back alleys and shady side streets, generally just getting used to my home.

Then it all was ripped away from me.

Now, it's a pretty obvious fact that I'm a hardcore PS2 gamer, or I wouldn't be doing this column. Granted, I might not be as hardcore as some of the other guys doing their columns, mainly because I've always been into other systems, but I'm not especially ashamed to say that I'd pretty much written off the GameCube as an utterly inferior system.

It wasn't that I didn't think the hardware was powerful, I just somehow naturally assumed that most of the games would look much like they have up until now: like high-res, occasionally nicely textured and lit N64 games. This was, of course, a stupid assumption, but given the games up until now, there was little reason to think otherwise. Then along came a Metroid...

I don't know when I just up and decided that Metroid Prime would suck big, fat donkey ass, but I did. I was convinced that it was not only not worth my time, but anyone that bought into the idea that a bunch of ex-Acclaim guys handling one of the most revered franchises in Nintendo's stable were going to be in for a rude awakening. It seems I was the one that got woken up by a six-plus foot Amazonian in a super-suit.

Metroid Prime is not only the finest example I'll probably see in years of the GameCube's power, but an absolute triumph for Retro and a game that seemingly does the impossible for me: it actually lives up to Super Metroid's legacy, and in some ways bests it. So, hours into the blissfully fantastic gameplay, as I reveled in the fact that I was witnessing the series' classic 2D platforming birthed into three dimensions, a prickly sensation like icy tendrils clawing at my spine.
Old 11-07-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's great that he's giving it a chance, but it also shows you the prejudice Nintendo has had to face this generation in the media industry. Kind of sad.
Old 11-08-02, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Aww... poor Nintendo the underdogs...
Old 11-08-02, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Nintendo is famous for doing things their own damn way, and part of that is not cooperating with the press. While Sony and MS bend over backwords to insure that the American press (don't know about japan) get demo software and news about games, Nintendo "prefers to let the games talk for themselves." Yeah well, that doesn't help the people whose job is to write stories on the material in advance. Because of this, several media houses and people hold a grudge against Nintendo.
Old 11-08-02, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Nintendo may be seeing the err in their ways. They will supposedly start giving out demo discs pretty soon in Japan. After that, it may move to the US as well.

Hey, at least they give out SOME demo's for new games to stores. By playing MP a few weeks in advance at Walmart, I now know for sure that I want to buy this game on release day.
Old 11-08-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
Idiot comment removed. -namja
Old 11-08-02, 03:53 PM
Banned

So what store is gonna have the best deal for Prime? Or is it too early...
Old 11-08-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The game is speaking for itself and that is what is important. Great games don't need marketing or people making excuses for their flaws. Looks like this may actually live up to expectations and compete with GT: Vice for game of the year.

I played the demo a few times and I can't wait for it to be released.
Old 11-08-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cant' wait for this badboy...
Old 11-09-02, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Nintendo is famous for doing things their own damn way, and part of that is not cooperating with the press. While Sony and MS bend over backwords to insure that the American press (don't know about japan) get demo software and news about games, Nintendo "prefers to let the games talk for themselves." Yeah well, that doesn't help the people whose job is to write stories on the material in advance. Because of this, several media houses and people hold a grudge against Nintendo.
Nintendo has always done things their own way... I can't deny that. Some of the things they've done are foolish and some of them have been brilliant. Currently, what they're doing instead of demo discs is that whole Cube Club thing. It seems to be a much larger effort than what Sony and MS are doing with regard to the demo discs appearing in magazines. I mean, both Sony and MS have held similar 'events' where people could come and check out the games as well. The Gamecube is the first console they've made that would allow for demo discs, but perhaps the size of the discs is cost prohibitive in making demos. CDs that size are relatively inexpensive (although not as inexpensive as normal sized ones), but those mini-dvds are possibly considerably more expensive than DVDs. Anyway - I don't see them doing any less advertising or whatever.
Old 11-09-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I read somewhere that Nintendo was going to start giving out demo discs in the near future, but I may be mistaken. The instore demos are at least something and from what I've heard the Cube Club thing is pretty neat, but only if its coming to your town.
Old 11-09-02, 01:01 PM
Banned

OK, the hype at IGN the last couple days has skyrocketed through the roof. Then again, it has confirmed my purchase of this game that I was so-so on getting. This game sounds up there with the likes of Halo and other classics...the hype from non-GC editors for once has really made it clear that this game is a true classic.

Then again the PS2 editors or whatever sure do make it clear that the GC is a worthless system otherwise
Old 11-09-02, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here is that IGN article Mike_AA is talking about. Metroid Prime blowout. The article is open to everyone and it includes some great video footage like these:

Metroid Prime video

Metroid Prime video

Wow!

The impressions from those who are playing the finished game all say the same thing, Retro Studios has actually pulled it off and METROID PRIME lives up the legacy set by SUPER METROID! Everything from the gameplay, including the jumping aspects of SM, has made the transition to MP. All the impressions go on to say that MP truly feels like SM in 3D.

I can't wait to pick this up and play it for myself. But judging by the early impressions, I think it's great that Retro seems to have proved the skeptics wrong, myself included, who said Metroid would not feel like Metroid in 3D. Retro Studios have managed to bring the classic 2D Metroid gameplay into 3D. Congratulations Retro!

Click on over to the IGN article to read the full impressions and to view more video footage. It's also nice to see some PS2 editors, who have been playing non-stop GTA: VC, mention METROID PRIME as a possible "Game Of The Year" contender.

Last edited by CreatureX; 11-09-02 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-09-02, 07:22 PM
Retired

Yep, they're supposed to be doing demo discs sometime in the future.

The reason this current demo is just a DVD of videos is because they are focusing more on trying to sell gamecubes with it than trying to sell games, and obviously, people without gamecubes couldn't take advantage of a playable demo disk.

On a related note, I plopped down my $50 at Babbages on my lunch break today.
Old 11-10-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went to the Cube Club tonight in Phoenix and was just amazed at how good Metroid Prime was. The hype wasn't complete crap for once. The game actually did feel like a 3D Metroid.

Now I'm going to have to pick up Prime, Fusion and the link cable.

Bastards.