DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Metroid Prime (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/242026-metroid-prime.html)

zero 10-08-02 02:11 AM

Metroid Prime

I know Im a bit early, but I wanted to get a feel for how excited, or how not excited some of you are about this game. I saw a review of it on Extended Play this afternoon, and they showed a few things that werent shown at E3. Namely a few enemies, but Im not going to say what....ok fine

Spoiler:
footage of a Metroid, which suprised me because...the last one was killed in Super Metroid...

Needless to say I put my pre-order down for this game today. Yeah I know I work for the store, but if it helps our numbers :).

http://www.nintendo-se.com/developme...d_prime_02.jpg

http://www.nintensity.com/media/scre...nails/0165.jpg

Anyone else excited?

Aghama 10-08-02 05:12 AM

I don't think you need to use spoiler tags for a game that came out a decade ago. I'm not sure why you'd be surprised that there are metroids in a Metroid game, of course they're going to come up with an excuse to bring them back.

huh? 10-08-02 05:14 AM

been looking forward to this game for a while now. i posted before that the offical website had launched. although there is not much there, you can watch the trailer for the game.... the site's address is www.metroidprime.com

i'm curious how the first person metroid perspective is going to work... anyway, i've got mine pre-ordered.

Ralph Wiggum 10-08-02 05:25 AM

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. I don't want to get overly hyped.

Can't wait to play it.

Stoolie 10-08-02 07:13 AM

I'm very excited about this one. I for one believe it will be interesting to see the evolution of a great game franchise. Sure, the game may feel and play differently, but it's still Metroid.

stoolie

Get Me Coffee 10-08-02 08:10 AM

I'm excited to play this GC game! This game looks awesome! Very creepy, suspenseful atmosphere! It's going to be awesome. Metroid is going to kick some serious ass! Mario was so lame this game has novel spin on a FPS. The only reason to keep a GC is for this game!

Liver&Onions 10-08-02 08:29 AM

Originally posted by White Knight
I'm excited to play this GC game! This game looks awesome! Very creepy, suspenseful atmosphere! It's going to be awesome. Metroid is going to kick some serious ass! Mario was so lame this game has novel spin on a FPS. The only reason to keep a GC is for this game!
THat's quite the opinion you've got there. There are a lot more reasons to keep a GC than this game.

Groucho 10-08-02 08:38 AM

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
There are a lot more reasons to keep a GC than this game.
I'm sorry, but your logic and reason are no match for the eloquent argument of "Mario was so lame".

CreatureX 10-08-02 08:40 AM

They hype is already off the charts for Metroid Prime. Especially from the people who not only played the E3 2002 demo, but also from those who recently played an updated demo of MP a few weeks ago at a media only Nintendo event. Here is what they are saying:

IGN :

The visual style...the sheer variety of textures used, the particle effects, the geometry, the curving architecture and vegetation that surrounds objects, all comes together for a very moody, not to mention stunning experience. If there was ever any doubt that GameCube was a powerful console in the hands of the right developer, let it be squashed once and forever: Metroid Prime is phenomenally, unbelievably polished, jaw-droppingly beautiful. Retro Studios owns... Before E3 2002 we had our doubts about Metroid Prime as a whole. After the show, we had our doubts that other levels would be as solid as the first demo. Now, we have no doubts. This game kicks our collective ass. It's stunningly beautiful, clever, innovative, and most of all fun. It'll remind players why they've always loved the Metroid franchise and at the same time blow away newcomers with its style, theme and play mechanics. This is Nintendo's flagship title.
Gamers.com :

Metroid Prime is looking more impressive than ever...new levels (and a slightly tweaked version of the demo available for play at this past May's E3) were demonstrated for the hungry eyes of the journalists in the room, and no one was disappointed. There are a lot of play mechanics and situations that will please Metroid fans of old, and plenty of new ideas that should successfully carry the series into the future as well. ... Despite some initial skepticism, I'm now convinced that first-person shooter is the next best form to side-scrolling platform gameplay Metroid could have taken.
MSNBC :

Brilliantly-paced, with some of the finest art ever to grace a video game, 'Metroid Prime' looks to be a contender for best game of this generation... Metroid Prime is visually stunning — stunning beyond belief. Hollywood could take some lessons from the set and creature designs in this game...
EGM (August 2002):

Metroid has taken to 3D like a Norfair Squeept to lava. (Geek-speak translation: "3D works here.") ... Thanks to its intuitive controls and first person adventure gmeplay, Metroid is shaping up much better than hardcore fans expected.

EGM's Top 10 Games of E3 2002:
1. Zelda (GC)
2. Mario Sunshine (GC)
3. Metroid Prime (GC) :cool:
4. Metroid Fusion (GBA) :cool:
5. Steel Battalion (Xbox)
6. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
7. Splinter Cell (Xbox)
8. Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)
9. Soul Calibur 2 (arcade)
10. Socom: U.S. Navy Seals (PS2)
http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/..._gcn_game2.jpg

:D

AgtFox 10-08-02 08:44 AM

I personally cannot wait for this game. I am still leery of the jump from 2D to 3D and Retro/Nintendo calling it a First Person Adventure instead of a First Person Shooter.

This week I plan on pre-paying for both this and Metroid Fusion (the GBA game coming out the same day...will be a LOT like Super Metroid and is the chapter right after Super Metroid).

Nintendo is really putting all its eggs in one basket for Christmas (but then again so are the other consoles), I certainly hope Metroid Prime sells well.

Josh H 10-08-02 09:20 AM

I can't wait for this. I had my reservations about it going to 3D, and was afraid it would just feel like a standard FPS, rather than a Metroid game.

But from all the impressions I've read that's not the case at all. Apparently "first person adventure" is an accurate description as there is much more emphasis on exploration, scanning things to look for secrets (or weaknesses in the case of enemies) and not as much emphasis on shooting things, which is very true to the Metroid series.

It's definitely the game I'm looking forward to the most this holiday season.

Get Me Coffee 10-08-02 10:58 AM

Originally posted by Liver&Onions
THat's quite the opinion you've got there. There are a lot more reasons to keep a GC than this game.

Oh yea? List them for me buddy.

CharlesC 10-08-02 10:58 AM

Its all going to come down to control for me. I can't play the James Bond gamecube FPS. My hands just don't work the way they need to to move and aim at the same time with that control scheme. Too many years of keyboard and mouse controlling for me I think.

So if the 'lock on' ability works well, and there really is MORE adventuring than shooting then I'll be in. I've got to play a demo first though.

CharlesC 10-08-02 10:59 AM

Oh yea? List them for me buddy.
Uhhh, lets not and say we did okay? Or maybe you can start a new thread if you guys want to argue about it.

Get Me Coffee 10-08-02 11:10 AM

I agree...I just hate it when someone gets in my grill and pushes their opinions on me. For me this game is a staple for holding onto my GC.

back to topic...

Another feature that is innovative are all the different types of visor scanners you can utilize such as x-ray, thermal and motion. This game is the reason why I'm holding onto my GC.

Bring on the chick bounty hunter!

Groucho 10-08-02 11:38 AM

I just hate it when someone gets in my grill and pushes their opinions on me.
You were the one that started threadcrapping with console bashing and irrelevent remarks about Mario, stating your opinions as if they were objective facts.

Get Me Coffee 10-08-02 11:50 AM

Whose threadcrapping? I was saying that I'm looking forward to Metroid!!!!!!!! If you didn't like my opinion with Mario who care! That's my opinion and I'm holding to it!!!!! I thought Mario was lame! I was holding onto my GC for Mario and Mario left me dry. Metroid on the other hand looks to be a keeper! Metroid looks to be a great game! And I'm not selling my GC because of Metroid. I'm not threadcrapping! I'm only voicing my opinion! People who own a GC need to not be so sensitive.

Groucho 10-08-02 11:57 AM

That's my opinion and I'm holding to it!!!!! I thought Mario was lame!
There's nothing wrong about your opinion on Mario. But this is the wrong thread for it.

Get Me Coffee 10-08-02 12:03 PM

First it was a simple sentence....I wasn't harping on it. The majority of my posts dealt with Metroid.....so dude stop harping on my statement. And my comment with Mario was relevant to my statement with Metroid.

In addition to what you said about me threadcrapping. What have you attributed to this threat? Other than pick on all my posts. Not once did you post anything remotely related to the topic of Metroid!

namja 10-08-02 12:11 PM

Okay ... this is really stupid, especially b/c both of you seem to LIKE the GameCube.

So White Knight, no more comments to Groucho please.
And Grouch, no more comments to White Knight please.

Metroid Prime looks like a great game. Let's not ruin a thread dedicated to that because of Mario.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums

Get Me Coffee 10-08-02 01:06 PM

What's the release date on this game?

Mike_AA 10-08-02 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. I don't want to get overly hyped.

Can't wait to play it.

That pretty much sums it up for me. I've been so burned in the past with these "incredible ground-breaking games of the year" and will not get into this one (right now) at all. I refuse to read all the hype, download all the pics and movies and just wait 'til the reviews come out. I've been hyped up for the Sunshine's, Ocarina's, Rogue Leader's, DK64's, Banjo-Kazooie-Tooie's and others and have been let down miserably.

That being said, in the back of my mind I am excited for this one. Will rent it first however (or give it some gameplay time)...once again, I've just been burned so many times before by these overly-hyped titles.

CreatureX 10-08-02 01:33 PM

The release date is November 18! :D

http://www.nintendo-se.com/developme...d_prime_03.jpg

http://images.nintendo.com/nintendo/..._aug1_ss25.jpg

Outlaw 10-08-02 01:34 PM

Same here! I love metroid, Samus is my favorite femme fatale, she rocks!! People were saying that it is a first person adventure which is sounds more interesting to me than a regular FPS. But I'll wait until i play it, its coming out pretty soon I think, sometime in november or decmeber.

I'll also be picking up Metroid Fusion the same day :).

nevermind about my speculated release date, creatureX beat me to the real one ;).

BigDave 10-08-02 01:37 PM

I don't think I'll be buying MP on release date, but I'll probably eventually pick it up. I'll wait and see what y'all think of it first.

I have enough games to hold me over for the moment. MP might make a good Christmas present to myself. :)