DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Hopefully nothing... Worst Button Ever.

You'll miss it when its gone
Old 10-23-02, 12:37 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate the Z-button, but I don't think it's any worse than R on the SNES or R1 on the PS2. All of them are shoulder buttons that I can't comfortably keep my finger on.

I think the Z button just seems worse because the L and R triggers are perfect for me. My fingers sit comfortably on them at all times, even in games where I'm not using them.

With the PS2 or SNES controllers I have to force my fingers up to the shoulder buttons every time I need to use them. It's just awkward for me to keep my fingers on them at all times. They're not very ergonomic.
Old 10-23-02, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Z-button is okay as a menu button, but terrible as an action button. They really should have put it in back of the R button instead of in front of it.
Old 10-23-02, 12:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I hate the Z-button, but I don't think it's any worse than R on the SNES or R1 on the PS2. All of them are shoulder buttons that I can't comfortably keep my finger on.

I think the Z button just seems worse because the L and R triggers are perfect for me. My fingers sit comfortably on them at all times, even in games where I'm not using them.

With the PS2 or SNES controllers I have to force my fingers up to the shoulder buttons every time I need to use them. It's just awkward for me to keep my fingers on them at all times. They're not very ergonomic.

Yeah it's not used a lot really and it's no worse than the white and black buttons on the xbox controller or the horrible l3 and r3 on the PS (when those are used incorrectly by some games *cough* SOCOM *cough*)

Every controller has its bad sides.
Old 10-26-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just received a Halloween email from Nintendo, and it contained a great picture from Metroid Prime. **WARNING** The picture contains a major spoiler. View at your own risk...

Metroid Prime spoiler

Spoiler:
Ridley returns in full 3D glory!
Old 10-26-02, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

w0000000000000000t!!!
Old 10-26-02, 02:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

Damn I keep forgetting to play this at BB. The idea of an adventure FPS really is starting to appeal to me, especially when I remember the good times I had with the original Metroid (which is basically a platform adventure game... something it really defined for the Nintendo).
Old 10-28-02, 11:44 AM

Metroid Prime Movies

I've just posted 9 Metroid Prime movies that showcase the title pretty nicely if anyone is interested:

http://www.consolegold.com/promoshot...d/movie2.shtml

Thanks for droppin' by!
Old 10-28-02, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Don't give into the hype

I played the demo at gamestop and was greatly disappointed. The fmvs and graphics are really nice. The gameplay isn't. You can't shoot while you're moving which has been a big part of Metroid. When you do shoot you are stationary and everything auto targeted for you. It was pretty lame. I'm looking forward to Metroid Fusion. I've been playing it this past week and love it. It's definitely GBA GOTY!
Old 10-28-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Don't give into the hype

Originally posted by DVD Otaku
The fmvs and graphics are really nice. The gameplay isn't.
This sums up about 90% of all console games these days.

DVD Otaku, your mini review sounds just like I was expecting. I just replayed Super Metroid (100% items, 2:18 minutes!) and I thought to myself, "They just don't make em like this anymore.." and I felt old. Argh. Hopefully Fusion will retain what made Super Metroid great, without adding a bunch of crap that makes it retarded, like all kinds of dialouge or something. I have high hopes for that game.
Old 10-28-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
This sums up about 90% of all console games these days.
As opposed to the "old days", when 90% of the games had crappy graphics to go with the crappy gameplay.

As for not "giving into the hype," DVD Otaku's experience is based soley on the in-store demo, which anyone can play and form their own opinion.
Old 10-28-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Aghama
As opposed to the "old days", when 90% of the games had crappy graphics to go with the crappy gameplay.

As for not "giving into the hype," DVD Otaku's experience is based soley on the in-store demo, which anyone can play and form their own opinion.

Word.

DVD Otaku,..please leave your house its unhealthy.

Let be blunt for a moment, a lot of gamers these days are...spoiled. We are given everything, yet we continue to complain. Why do we complain so much? Because 1) It makes for great discussion 2) Not everyone is going to love something new. 3) Because a lot of us have a hard time letting go of what "was", and a harder time accepting what is "now". I too am guilty of this and wont deny that I from time to tim utter the words "..why couldnt they do it like this?...that would have been better than this crap!" Of course that always comes out BEFORE I get to play the game or experience whatever I'm bashing. Yes my friends we are spoiled. We have three great companies, three great consoles, and every developer working hard to make sure we buy their games. Does this mean every game is a winner? Absolutely not. So what does this mean? Well in short this means we shouldnt keep looking back to yester-year to recapture old feelings. The truth of the matter is that you'll never feel the same way about a game after it goes through its evolution, love it or hate is the best way to look at this. Its best to keep an open mind about these otehrwsie your bound to remain in 8-bit when the world around you has gone real time. Im not saying you CANT have an opinion, or your wrong just that you sohld play the final version before making such a bold statement. But for those of you solely convinced that the GBA Metroid is the only way to go keep in mind that
Spoiler:
you have ot beat Prime in order to unlock the NES Metroid, and you have to beat Fusion in order to use Samus' Fushion suit in Prime
so you see its a win-win situation.

DVD Otaku, your mini review sounds just like I was expecting. I just replayed Super Metroid (100% items, 2:18 minutes!) and I thought to myself, "They just don't make em like this anymore.." and I felt old. Argh. Hopefully Fusion will retain what made Super Metroid great, without adding a bunch of crap that makes it retarded, like all kinds of dialouge or something. I have high hopes for that game.
I'm glad that I dont let others decide what games Im going to buy. Of course they dont make 'em like they used to, but if they did you'd be crying for something "more". But then again I love Castlevania in 2-D so what do I know right?

-zero

Last edited by zero; 10-28-02 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-28-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Don't give into the hype

Originally posted by DVD Otaku
I played the demo at gamestop and was greatly disappointed. The fmvs and graphics are really nice. The gameplay isn't. You can't shoot while you're moving which has been a big part of Metroid. When you do shoot you are stationary and everything auto targeted for you. It was pretty lame. I'm looking forward to Metroid Fusion. I've been playing it this past week and love it. It's definitely GBA GOTY!
Um, you were playing the game wrong as you can shoot and move at the same time in MP.

The following short video is an IGN Insider only video, but it is the best video I've seen that shows just how frantic and beautiful the shooting aspects (with the auto targeting/lock-on feature) of Metroid Prime really are:

Metroid Prime (IGN Insiders 4.7MBs)

Old 10-28-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Don't give into the hype

Originally posted by CreatureX
Um, you were playing the game wrong as you can shoot and move at the same time in MP.
Old 10-28-02, 01:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
I agree. I was "on the fence" about this title until I tried the demo out for myself. After that, I was sold. Everybody who owns a Gamecube should play the demo if they can.

And you can shoot and move at the same time.

Last edited by Groucho; 10-28-02 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-28-02, 02:53 PM
Retired

I was very impressed with the demo as well and will definitely be picking it up.

The control was spot on and the graphics were phenomenal, especially the areas in the videos on the dvd of movies you can get free at Gamestop/Babbages.
Old 10-28-02, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So how far did you all get in the demo? The demo cut off on me a few minutes after I killed the first boss (this was on my second time playing, as my first time was spent getting used to controls).

So far I think the game is really really good. It was just a lot of fun clicking through visor modes, and using the different weapons. And the morph ball mode was really cool too.

I'm just hoping that it's a really long game, since i've been screwed lately with these short games that have little replay value.
I'm still on the fence on whether to get this or Resident Evil 0, since I don't want to get both right now.
Old 10-28-02, 03:22 PM
Retired

If it's like the previous Metroid games, it will take around 20 hours to beat the first time, assuming that you don't use any guides or FAQs.

It will likely be able to be beaten in a few hours or subsequent sessions. For instance, in Super Metroid, you got a special ending if you could beat it in under 3 hours, but it took me around 20 the first time playing with no help.
Old 11-01-02, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,022 Likes on 709 Posts
Just played the demo and WOW! I cannot wait for this one.

Graphics: phenomenal, the warp effect of the weapon and the reflections everywhere. the coolest surprising effect is that if you shoot the weapon nearby, the light will reflect off of Samus's face and off of the visor so you get a brief reflection of her eyes in the visor! a double reflection... that might be a video game first. I know it is simple yet so impressive that it has this much detail.

Gameplay: works very well. You can scan so many things in the world which brings up a description of the item/space pirate/parasite queen. It even gives a cause of death for dead space pirates. jumping is actually easy to pull off acurately.

Most exciting thing: I don't get sick! at least not with the short amount of gameplay. Even indoors. This is great news for all the people in the other thread who gets sick with FPS. Hopefully this will hold true for most people.
Old 11-01-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tanman
Most exciting thing: I don't get sick! at least not with the short amount of gameplay. Even indoors. This is great news for all the people in the other thread who gets sick with FPS. Hopefully this will hold true for most people.
Actually, I tend to get sicker when I play outdoors. Especially now that it's colder. I almost got pneumonia when it was raining once.
Old 11-01-02, 03:47 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Zodo
So how far did you all get in the demo?
I just got to the room with the big dead monster in the middle and the dead space pirates laying around.

I couldn't figure out what to do next, though I didn't really try very hard as I didn't want to get to any bosses or anything and spoil something cool. I'd rather wait and get to it on my copy in a couple weeks.
Old 11-02-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Before Punch Drunk Love tonight at the movies they played the Metroid Trailer. VERY COOL. I was getting really excited and my girlfriend just thought I was crazy.... matter of fact, everyone pretty much thought I was crazy.

...made me think how much I'd like an entire Metroid movie!
Old 11-02-02, 11:59 PM

Re: Re: Don't give into the hype

Originally posted by CreatureX

Yep. Do not take advice from somebody who can't use left analog stick and the A button at the same time.
Old 11-03-02, 12:46 AM

Pre-ordered at Best Buy and got this killer little game case with the Metroid Prime logo on it. You get the preview DVD with it as well. Pretty nice swag for buying something I was going to buy anyway.

Here's a pic of the game case etc:

http://chucks8888.freeservers.com/swag.html

-Chuck

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.