Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Prime

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-02, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,022 Likes on 709 Posts
Waitwaitwaitwait....what do you get with the preorder? the gamecase and all that other neat stuff?
Old 11-03-02, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No. Just the Metroid case and the Preview DVD.

The other stuff I got from various events (e3, cube club etc.)

-C
Old 11-03-02, 11:57 AM
Banned

It's great that Metroid Prime is getting all this hype and great reviews.... but what about Metroid Fusion for GBA? Any word about that?
Old 11-03-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Dave St Hubbins
It's great that Metroid Prime is getting all this hype and great reviews.... but what about Metroid Fusion for GBA? Any word about that?
I haven't read much, but I'm still really excited about this game. There was a little bit of footage on the preview DVD and it looks pretty good.
Old 11-03-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
I haven't read much, but I'm still really excited about this game. There was a little bit of footage on the preview DVD and it looks pretty good.
I played it at EB last night. if you loved Super Metroid youll love Metroid Fusion .
Old 11-03-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, Metroid Fusion was available to play at my local Walmart and EB. It's pretty good...much like the only Metroid games.

I'm probably gonna go ahead and pick both games up. I also have to go get the connection cable, so I can check out the bonus stuff...
Old 11-03-02, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by chucks888
Pre-ordered at Best Buy and got this killer little game case with the Metroid Prime logo on it. You get the preview DVD with it as well. Pretty nice swag for buying something I was going to buy anyway.

Here's a pic of the game case etc:

http://chucks8888.freeservers.com/swag.html

-Chuck
Nice pics, did you get that gamecube necklace/keychain thingy at the cubeclub? It looks like its glowing blue and is really sweet looking! I'm thinking of making the 3 hour drive down to the CubeClub in Chicago and if i can get something like that it might be worth it .

My stores finally got the demo of Metroid Prime. It actually played a lot different from what i was expecting but it was pretty cool. I also tried out Metroid Fusion, it is very similar to super metroid and equally rocked. I must have spent like an hour in that store alone playing, but it sold me on both games.
Old 11-03-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Played Metroid Prime at Kmart the other night. Nothing too impressive. I know I need to give it a little more time...but it doesn't strike me as anything AMAZING. I'll give it another shot Nov 18th.
Old 11-03-02, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Outlaw
Nice pics, did you get that gamecube necklace/keychain thingy at the cubeclub? It looks like its glowing blue and is really sweet looking! I'm thinking of making the 3 hour drive down to the CubeClub in Chicago and if i can get something like that it might be worth it .

No I didn't get this at the Cubeclub. As far as I'm aware, it was only available from E3. Yeah it's a blue LED in that necklace. One of my favorite freebies ever.

The Cubeclub (from the L.A. experience), you can just strollin and get the Preview DVD easily. You can win prizes by playing Mario Party, and beating the other 3 people. From my stash, you can tell I did pretty well hehe. I got two of those "CUBE" cases (yellow and red thing), and one of the Gamecube handheld electric fans. I think the only other prize there was a Gamecube sun visor hat thing. I'm not sure how the Chicago one will be, but I'm sure the prizes will be similar. Good luck!

-Chuck
Old 11-03-02, 09:04 PM
zig

Metroid Fusion is amazing.. I absolutely love it. I'm buying a GBA for this.(although I'm waiting to see if the backlit GBA is for real..)

I didn't play Prime though.. I already know I'm buying it, so I figure.. why spoil it?
Old 11-04-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The IGN editors have received their copies of Metroid Prime and have been posting their impressions on the IGN boards.

Fran Mirabella (Cube.ign.com editor):
Retro Studios and Nintendo have created a true masterpiece, once again setting standards and defining a genre all over again.

It's a massive title, too. The 30-hour mark is definitely something most gamers will hit. There's so much to it. Most impressive to me is that
Spoiler:
Tallon IV's seperate worlds -- lava, ice, water, etc -- are all connected.
It's just like the old Metroids, and load times are nearly nonexistent; a truly amazing feat.

It is Super Metroid brought into 3D. All the naysayers who said it couldn't be done right -- including myself -- are completely wrong. I need some time to absorb it, but it's absolutely as great a game as Super Metroid, and perhaps...better.
Then some IGN forum members asked some questions:

Q: "How cleverly designed were the levels and power-ups of Prime? What I mean is will it be as good as Super Metroid was in the way the areas were connected, the way that the player had to revisit areas with the appropriate power-up to reach other areas, and how well hidden important items were?"

Q: "Are you enjoying the music, does it set the mood the way the music of classic Metroids did?"

Fran Mirabella (Cube.ign.com editor) responded:
When I say the game is amazing, I mean it. From level design, to rewarding the player for exploring, to power-ups, to the bosses, to the music, Metroid Prime is amazing.

Example: I'm in the
Spoiler:
Phendrana Drifts, the ice area, and I see a sheet of ice blocking a hole that leads downard. After scanning it, you realize it must be melted. It was a very long time before I returned to explore that pathway. This is one example of at least 100. You see so much -- grappling hooks, spiderball tracks, ice beam, etc, etc. -- that you realize you must return to later.

Like I said, the game is Super Metroid in 3D. There are even some extravagant vertical platforming areas. You won't believe how good the first-person jumping is. It's the best I've ever seen. It feels totally natural and not even remotely frustrating.

As for the music, that also made be very happy. It's stunning: very atmospheric, TONS of interactive audio cues that make SENSE, and lots of throwbacks to the tunes in Super Metroid.
source: IGN Boards (IGN Insider only)

Nice! It's great to hear that the jumping elements of the past Metroid games are present and actually do work in the first person perspective. The 18th is going to take an eternity to get here.
Old 11-04-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,022 Likes on 709 Posts
AWESOME! 30 hour mark! this is one of my main concerns. glad it isn't any more. like throwing gasoline on a fire.
Old 11-04-02, 03:36 PM
zig

I dunno.. the IGN guys always seem to exaggerate about how long games take.. Plus they hyped up Mario Sunshine forever too.. then when it came out they gave it a 9.1/10.

The only thing I'm worried about with Prime is the difficulty.. It seems like it will be really easy.. but maybe we've only seen the beginning levels.. Metroid games shouldn't be easy
Old 11-04-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm.... Might have to dig into the wallet for this one. I'll give it a wait and see though....
Old 11-04-02, 03:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I hope 30 hours is correct...that's the perfect amount of time for completing a game. It's like a mini-skirt: long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to be interesting.
Old 11-05-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why is it that the stores I go to never update their demo disks? Every store I've been to still has the same old disk with Sonic and 007 in it.

Old 11-05-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

30 hours seems pretty long, i think it takes these reviewers longer to go through the games though because they are writing articles at the same time while playing and also trying to really test the game. They might be underestimating the skills of gamers... But then again its only speculation, who knows maybe it is that long.
Old 11-05-02, 11:03 AM
Retired

It probably takes 30 hours to do everything the first time (i.e. cover the whole map, get every power up etc.) assuming you don't use a guide.
Old 11-05-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, i'm sold for sure now. Like others in here, that was the only thing i was worried about, since there is no multiplayer functionality in this game.

But 30hrs is definitely worth my money...plus i've got Gamestop gamebucks to use up.

On a side note. Does anyone know how much Resident Evil 0 and Metroid Prime will be on sale for at Best Buy when they come out?
Old 11-05-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
assuming you don't use a guide.
I thought that was unheard of this day and age.
Old 11-05-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
I thought that was unheard of this day and age.
Since a lot of games seem to resort to illogical and ridiculous puzzles that I don't have the patience to bother solving on my own, I use a guide from time to time.
Old 11-05-02, 01:21 PM
Retired

I try to refrain from using a guide as much as possible. Many people buy a guide when they buy the game, and the play the game using the guide the whole time. I don't see any fun in that.

I'll just go to www.gamefaqs.com and look up help if I get stuck on a puzzle or battle and don't have a clue on what I need to do.

Some games I never use a guide (i.e. Mario Sunshine) and some I look up hints several times (i.e. Resident Evil).
Old 11-05-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I try to never use a guide, but sometimes in games like Resident Evil I'll get stuck. I'll try and figure stuff out on my own for a while, but eventually it gets irratating so I try and just look for a hint or something.

I agree that finishing a game just by stepping through a guide is no fun at all though.
Old 11-05-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm one of those people who always buy the guide with the game. Normally i don't look at it unless i get super stuck, but i like having it in case i need to look something up. Also they sucker me into it with the buy the guide with the game and get the guide for 20% off.... the one time i didn't do that offer was the one time i really needed the guide and had to go back and buy it.
Old 11-05-02, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I don't think I've ever used a guide for any game... once back a long time ago we used a walkthrough that came in a magazine someone let me borrow so we could find every secret in our third run through Resident Evil 2. Sometimes in adventure games, I'll look at a UHS hint if i get stuck, but I prefer to figure out puzzles on my own (unless the game really sucks, then I just want to get it over with ).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.