Reload this Page >

Marvel Animationís X-Men Ď97 (Disney+) - premieres 3/20/24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel Animationís X-Men Ď97 (Disney+) - premieres 3/20/24

Old 05-15-24, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,632 Posts
Re: Marvel Animationís X-Men Ď97 (Disney+) - premieres 3/20/24

Boring? Did you watch the wrong episode by mistake? Or is this sarcasm?

Amazing finale.

Still can't decide if it's stupid or accurate that we decided to launch missiles and ended up making the situation much much worse. Like were they expecting to blow away the asteroid? How stupid are the world's scientists.

The current Black Panther is Tchalla's father, I didn't expect that.

I think you lose something in the central message of "hey this is about bigotry" when you make Bastion that bwahhaha evil, going against humans and mutants alike, and becoming so far from being a human that the bigots would never follow him. I thought they did a decent job in an earlier episode when they basically said people volunteered for the Sentinel program (then had their minds wiped), but this episode kind of placed the blame solely on him for brainwashing people (obviously some were brainwashed like Trish but I thought a bunch of them were "patriots"). But minor nitpick.

Just like Claremont in my youth the X-men made me look up a word I had never heard of before: pogrom.

This is basically just a huge love letter to the X-men and I can't get enough. I mean we went through

X-cutioners Song
The trial of Magneto
Inferno
Mutant Massacre (kinda... ok it was more Astonishing X-men crossed with the X-gala)
Xavier in space
Fatal Attractions
Operation: Zero Tolerance

And they didn't take what I would consider the easy out and go straight to Onslaught, instead giving us The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix and the past of a major bad guy, Rise of A (like who thought those two mini series, well three, would make it onto the screen?).

Oh, and Shadowcat (and Rachel, kinda)! And animated Peter and Mary Jane (he found her!), and animated Force Works Iron Man!

And hoo boy the Morph/Wolverine shippers are going to be excited.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-15-24 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts

Nice way to set up S2 and the villain.

So so many cameos. Was cool to see them all.

Story about one of them I missed: https://www.polygon.com/24157229/x-m...-series-finale

I don't recall the extent of Rogue's powers but she never tried to touch Bastion? Maybe wouldn't work because he is basically a machine? She should have at least tried.

Last edited by Deftones; 05-15-24 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed Quicksilver and Wanda were off world but I didn't realize that Cable, Sunspot, and Jubilee were all AWOL. Hmm...
Old 05-15-24, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 191 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I don't recall the extent of Rogue's powers but she never tried to touch Bastion? Maybe wouldn't work because he is basically a machine? She should have at least tried.
Thereís always the chance she absorbs part of the personality (even temporarily) especially if itís a psychopath. Thatís what happens if she tries that on the Juggernaut (from past episodes). Then you have two.

Last edited by Kdogg; 05-15-24 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-15-24, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 191 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

Still can't decide if it's stupid or accurate that we decided to launch missiles and ended up making the situation much much worse. Like were they expecting to blow away the asteroid? How stupid are the world's scientists.
Make it into smaller pieces that burn up in the atmosphere or are small enough not to cause an extinction level event if they do hit. Three one mile meteors hitting are theoretically better than one three mile meteor.
Old 05-16-24, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Make it into smaller pieces that burn up in the atmosphere or are small enough not to cause an extinction level event if they do hit. Three one mile meteors hitting are theoretically better than one three mile meteor.
I understand the concept, but nobody deflected the missiles (that I saw), they hit full on, and all it did was cause Asteroid M to plummet when it was perfectly fine in the first place.

Add to that the world leaders knew Magneto had been thwarted because the power came back on. They knew that Bastion and his sentinels were a bigger threat AND that they had been defeated because the Sentinels fell. So their first response is "the muties only understand force?" And T'chaka and Captain America are the only ones who are like "welp, that's a bad idea but you do you?"

Then there's the fact that ONLY the X-men even tried to divert the asteroid, the world leaders had absolutely no other response, no superheroes to help, only a news announcement that "well, we screwed up, sorry."

Magneto was right.
Old 05-16-24, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is going to blow some minds (the confirmation of it at least):

The following users liked this post:
lisadoris (05-17-24)
Old 05-26-24, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

Finished binging this yesterday. I was just getting into X-Men and comics in general when the original animated series was starting back in '92. I would do the readings and then do a lot of whatever the equivalent of the DiCaprio gif from OUATIH was while watching. The cartoon started when I was just starting as a sophomore in high school and I actually made a point to try and catch or record it while in my dorm in college when it was in its final days. In short, I have a bit of history. That being said, this series really surpassed my expectations. Granted, given creative output of Marvel as of late that isn't too high a bar, but this would have surpassed even higher ones.

The main aspect I enjoyed was that it was obviously written with the knowledge that most of the viewing audience would be full grown adults. This made it possible for them to go places they really couldn't during the original run in terms of more mature elements. They clearly had no problem with killing characters or people this time, or showing rather graphic acts of violence. I would guess this could still play to a younger crowd, but I doubt it would have the same impact. What I really liked about this new story was how much of the previously unacknowledged stuff from the comics they finally brought to light. Namely the past shared by Rogue and Magneto. In fact, the character of Rogue is probably the one who benefitted most from this series next to maybe Cyclops. Her character in the comics was rather interesting, but I never found her to be such in either the previous animated outing or the live action movies. The animated series just kind of made her eye candy and the movies barely let her do anything. It was good to finally see them address the fact that if she gets upset, she can be a pretty scary individual .
I am curious if the next season or future ones may introduce the character of Stryfe. X-Cutioner's Song was the first major X-Men story I followed, so it would be cool if he were to make an appearance. Cable is present, so I think it's a bit possibility.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
majorjoe23 (05-26-24), tanman (05-26-24)
Old 05-26-24, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

It's been awhile were Wolverine is part of the team and not Wolverine And The X-Men.
The following 3 users liked this post by Xiroteus:
Boondock Saint (05-26-24), majorjoe23 (05-28-24), tanman (05-26-24)
Old 05-27-24, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

FWIW, when I was younger I sided with Xavier, but the older I get the more I think Magneto may be correct. Go figure.

Q: what determined which people became the Prime Sentinels? It looked like Bastion had people signing up to do it, but it also seemed like a bunch of random people turned as well.
Old 05-27-24, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,868 Likes on 1,966 Posts

When Grant Morrison was writing the book, they had kids at Xavier's wearing "Magneto was Right" shirts.

Old 05-28-24, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
FWIW, when I was younger I sided with Xavier, but the older I get the more I think Magneto may be correct. Go figure.

Q: what determined which people became the Prime Sentinels? It looked like Bastion had people signing up to do it, but it also seemed like a bunch of random people turned as well.
He did have people signing up to do it, though they got their mind wiped after. They then kind of retconned that to put all the blame on Bastion and saying he brainwashed them. But there had to have been people forcibly taken and converted, for example Trish (the reporter) and most of the townsfolk in Bastion's town.

I do think there's something added when people volunteer to become cybernetic cyborgs because they hate mutants... basically agreeing to become not-human, the thing they hate the most, but just don't realize.

And yes Magneto was right. They had to basically have him go all out villain mode to push him to the "oh wait he must be wrong" side.
  • He was completely justified in doing that EMP to keep the sentinels down.
  • Xavier should have focused on working with him instead of splitting his team into two to take on him and Bastion. Magneto had a built in beef with Bastion, and as it played out, there's no way they could or should have taken out Magneto before Bastion. And there's no way in hell you send someone with a metal skeleton who's sole goal is to kill the one guy that can reverse the damage to the Earth.
  • Humans had volunteered to disfigure themselves just to kill mutants. And the process at the time seemed irreversible. This plays into a lot of things that we probably now realize as adults that we didn't as kids.
  • The human world government (or at least the secret governments, including Doom) were basically like screw Genosha and were behind OZT
  • Even after they knew Magneto had been defeated the inept government's response was let's thrown missiles at the asteroid and dislodge it from orbit

Had Magneto made any effort to save, I dunno, anyone but two X-men on his little asteroid, I think I could be convinced that he was still at least justified in wanting to end humans after what they did (of course that wouldn't have been a heroic thing to do). But they had to add the "irreversible damage to the Earth" and then him not lifting a finger to help any of the other mutants.

And they absolutely played into it too. Magneto's more direct approach did more for mutantkind than anything Xavier did with his wealth in years and years, as he correctly pointed out with the morlocks. And Xavier coming back did absolutely nothing.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-28-24 at 09:07 AM.
Dr. DVD (05-28-24)
Old 05-31-24, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 675 Likes on 524 Posts

So did Disney rehire Beau DeMayo? If not, they should. Hell, let him spearhead the MCU X-Men as well.
Why So Blu? (06-04-24)
Old 06-04-24, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 708 Posts

How can it still be secret why they fired him? So weird.