Marvel Animationís X-Men Ď97 (Disney+) - premieres 3/20/24

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel Animationís X-Men Ď97 (Disney+) - premieres 3/20/24

Old 04-11-24, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 991 Likes on 692 Posts
Re: Marvel Animationís X-Men Ď97 (Disney+) - premieres 3/20/24

Originally Posted by fujishig
I just started watching so I won't read through this thread yet (I know some major stuff went on in the last episode) but wanted to get this in here: is the mouth animation distracting for anyone else? I don't know why it feels so awkward to me. And it's not like I don't watch a ton of anime where the dub doesn't exactly match the lips so it's not that.
It probably will be now thanks!

Old 04-13-24, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,928 Likes on 1,286 Posts

I just started watching so I won't read through this thread yet (I know some major stuff went on in the last episode) but wanted to get this in here: is the mouth animation distracting for anyone else? I don't know why it feels so awkward to me. And it's not like I don't watch a ton of anime where the dub doesn't exactly match the lips so it's not that.
Just finished bingeing and the mouth animation was distracting for me too, but it was the teeth, in particular, being able to see the back teeth on the lower jaw, really stood out as being weird.
that said, I got used to it.
I was also distracted by Magneto looking like Klaus Kinski, for a while, but I also got over that!
Overall, excellent stuff!
Old 04-14-24, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I honestly don't give two shits about the MCU or Star Wars right now.

Just give me more X-men '97 for the next 10 years.

I've watched these three episodes more times than I watched the original X-men films.
At this rate they'll have ran through every storyline from every X-related comic by Christmas.
The following users liked this post:
story (04-14-24)
Old 04-14-24, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Just finished bingeing and the mouth animation was distracting for me too, but it was the teeth, in particular, being able to see the back teeth on the lower jaw, really stood out as being weird.
that said, I got used to it.!
Reminds me of one of Jim Lee's artistic quirks back in the 80s and 90s, when he was drawing the X-Men comics. Seemed like every time a character opened their mouth, you had a dentist's view of their teeth.

Kurt D (04-14-24)
Old 04-14-24, 12:27 PM

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,182 Posts

It's definitely going through major storyline quickly, that's for sure! I suppose they know they'll have far less episodes overall to tell these multi-issue, multi-title crossover, major storylines. Nothing has felt terribly rushed yet, and so far they've demonstrated that I'm right to be trusting them on this.
Old 04-14-24, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
that said, I got used to it.
I was also distracted by Magneto looking like Klaus Kinski, for a while, but I also got over that!
Overall, excellent stuff!
There are certain angles where the teeth look really freaking weird in this show.
Kurt D (04-14-24)
Old 04-15-24, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Going through rewatching the first 5 seasons. I have to say that the whole show hits totally different as an adult in today's world vs as a teen in the 90's. It definitely feels a lot eerily closer to real life than just a fantasy cartoon.
Old 04-15-24, 08:00 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 966 Likes on 805 Posts

i watched all 5 eps so far, what is this "OMG" or "Wow" moment everyone is talking about ^?
Old 04-15-24, 08:23 AM

Received 4,695 Likes on 3,181 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by dex14:
Deftones (04-15-24), Kurt D (04-15-24), tanman (04-22-24), Why So Blu? (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 08:25 AM

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,182 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i watched all 5 eps so far, what is this "OMG" or "Wow" moment everyone is talking about ^?
The Ace of Base needle drop.

Or, check the time stamp of all the "Wow" posts that came on last Wednesday, the day that episode 5 dropped and then, think about the ending of that episode.
Old 04-15-24, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
If you don't see it this might not be for you and that's OK.
Deftones (04-15-24)
Old 04-15-24, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Going through rewatching the first 5 seasons. I have to say that the whole show hits totally different as an adult in today's world vs as a teen in the 90's. It definitely feels a lot eerily closer to real life than just a fantasy cartoon.
Is it the persecution/racism angle or something else?

I'm rewatching with my son so that he can understand what's going on,and to be honest, the last couple of seasons are a slog. I mean I appreciate that they adapted some of this stuff but man. It still saddens me that they apparently couldn't get the rights to actually use the brood.
Old 04-17-24, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 619 Likes on 445 Posts

Did anyone else notice that about 20 minutes into ep 5
Spoiler:
The Watcher was watching Genosha

The following 2 users liked this post by whotony:
lisadoris (04-18-24), tanman (04-22-24)
Old 04-17-24, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,210 Likes on 930 Posts

Another great episode!

glbnow (04-17-24)
Old 04-17-24, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Nothing live-action will ever come close to Alison Sealy-Smith as Storm.

The MCU shouldn't even bother trying.

Old 04-21-24, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

I've been enjoying this for the most part, and come to this from the Claremont/Cochrum run in the early 80's, when the franchise really took off. Never watched the 90's cartoon much.

Overall It's really enjoyable. I watched the Days of Future Past episodes from the original a few weeks ago and the animation was pretty bad compared to this. My biggest issue is the stories seem really, really rushed. I get it for the original, but this is being marketed as nostalgia for adults who watched the original as kids, so they can handle a lot more nuance than when they were eight. Hell, going back and reading the old comics from 40 years ago shows how intelligently they were written and how they took their time with stories.

The Genosha episode was the best one yet, both for the "wow" moments and the character interplay, especially Gambit, Rogue, and Magneto. Saw a brief spoiler online that the see through guy, Glob(?), got a cameo, and was surprised to see him so prominently featured in the background. Glad he made it though, he looks like he has enough problems as it is.

The Storm storyline felt kinda pointless because she lost her powers for such a short period of time. I hope they keep the old school costume though.
Old 04-22-24, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
I've been enjoying this for the most part, and come to this from the Claremont/Cochrum run in the early 80's, when the franchise really took off. Never watched the 90's cartoon much.

Overall It's really enjoyable. I watched the Days of Future Past episodes from the original a few weeks ago and the animation was pretty bad compared to this. My biggest issue is the stories seem really, really rushed. I get it for the original, but this is being marketed as nostalgia for adults who watched the original as kids, so they can handle a lot more nuance than when they were eight. Hell, going back and reading the old comics from 40 years ago shows how intelligently they were written and how they took their time with stories.

The Genosha episode was the best one yet, both for the "wow" moments and the character interplay, especially Gambit, Rogue, and Magneto. Saw a brief spoiler online that the see through guy, Glob(?), got a cameo, and was surprised to see him so prominently featured in the background. Glad he made it though, he looks like he has enough problems as it is.

The Storm storyline felt kinda pointless because she lost her powers for such a short period of time. I hope they keep the old school costume though.
I agree it would be nice to take some time with these plot lines. But also if we're only going to get 10 episodes instead of 26 or so I don't mind this balance.
Old 04-22-24, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it the persecution/racism angle or something else?

I'm rewatching with my son so that he can understand what's going on,and to be honest, the last couple of seasons are a slog. I mean I appreciate that they adapted some of this stuff but man. It still saddens me that they apparently couldn't get the rights to actually use the brood.
Yeah the persecution/racism angle.

But also even though I still love the original show it definitely has it's faults. Even back then a lot of the characterizations were really kind of grating. They got old pretty fast. The characters all act the same and say the same things all the time. The plots are pretty great, ripped from the comics, but sometimes become bloated or rushed and confusing. The animation isn't great, again even back then it was pretty bad. Especially compared with Batman TAS which came out the same year but had a much bigger budget.
Old 04-23-24, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As a kid, I was a huge X-men fan but the art style of the cartoon (or rather their ability to animate that art style) really turned me off, especially compared to the DC animated universe and their simpler style. It was still a kick to see those Jim Lee designs animated and all the cameos, though. And yeah I must have skipped the last couple of seasons because I barely remember them as I watch through with my kid (though I must have watched that season ender with Apocalypse). But they were basically hitting the comic book beats, I thought.

This is definitely something different for a more modern era, and I can't wait for my son to finally finish watching the old series (we are on the last, shortened season) so we can watch this (well for me rewatch it) together.

Even this has flaws though. The reason it seems like everything happens too fast is because I don't think they do a good job of conveying how much time has passed. Like Scott says that he's been seeing Madelyne for months, which then makes sense how things like Forge and Storm would get together and Madelyne could get on the inner counsel of Genosha all in the span of a few episodes, but before he said that it certainly didn't feel like it. The romantic triangles just don't work for me... Jean can't go kiss Wolverine then complain about Scott (though that reveal, with the parallel's to Morrison's X-men except without the Emma, were cool, as was Emma's little smirk afterwards). Rogue can't go reveal this whole hidden story where Magneto seduces what I assume is a teenaged Rogue in the Savage Land, break up with Remy, then go back to him after kissing Magneto in front of the entire mutant population. And yeah the deaths kind of feel meaningless when there's time travel shenanigans (otherwise
Spoiler:
Maddy, Shaw, Banshee, Callisto and Dazzler

are all gone).

They are still rushing through the beats of major storylines like Inferno, Jim Lee X-men in space, trial of Magneto,etc., but it does look like this current storyline isn't going to wrap up as neatly so I look forward to it.

As an aside is Morph basically able to mimic powers now? I thought that he just too on the appearance of others but he definitely can fly, has super strength, etc. more like Mimic.

Also I always get a kick seeing Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes the Imperial Guard animated.
Old 04-24-24, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Another great episode!
Old 04-24-24, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it just me or is this show way more emotional than it should be. Maybe there's something wrong with me. I know the X-Men have always paralleled societal issues a lot more than other comic book properties but this show is hitting kind of hard. I can't help but associate what's going on with the show with what's going on in real life. Especially when Beast hit us with that Mr. Roger's quote about looking for the helpers in a tragedy. And showing the relationship between Nightcrawler and Rogue was really well done. This show is just hitting on all cylinders as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-25-24, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 145 Likes on 100 Posts

I think the show is more emotional because they’re catering to adults. The previous series was for kids. That conversation between Beast and the reporter where he gave her the verbal smack down over “tolerances” was so awesome.
tanman (04-25-24)
Old 04-26-24, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I think the show is more emotional because they’re catering to adults. The previous series was for kids. That conversation between Beast and the reporter where he gave her the verbal smack down over “tolerances” was so awesome.
That and Scott's tirade during his interview. As a kid, that would have made me think he was turning into a bad guy. Same with the Rogue/Cap scene. I don't think it's even that it's catering to adults as it is the times have changed? I dunno.

At first I thought they changed the opening for the second half of the season or something (ie: replacing you know who with Nightcrawler last episode) but now I realize it's like GoT, they put in the scenes in the opening pertaining to the featured characters. So last time Forge and X-Factor were a scene as well as Lilandra and this time they weren't?

Also cool how they had
Spoiler:
Bastion

in the background of earlier episodes, like the forge photo. Plus Operation Zero Tolerance and all that. Makes sense about the Bishop part of the opening being there (from the old two parter One Man's Worth). I highly recommend watching that or at least getting a summary.
tanman (04-26-24)
Old 04-27-24, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 180 Likes on 136 Posts

Spoiler:
Bastion
Surprised they went there but it loops in the time travelers. I thought they were going for
Spoiler:
Cassandra Nova but

Spoiler:
Looks like Deadpool and Wolverine got dibs.

fujishig (04-29-24)
Old 05-01-24, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Man, another "horror" inspired episode! It was great.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.