Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Last of Us (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "When You're Lost in the Darkness" -- 1/15/23

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Last of Us (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "When You're Lost in the Darkness" -- 1/15/23

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-23, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Re: The Last of Us (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "When You're Lost in the Darkness" -- 1/15/23

Shit, didn't even recognize Anna Torv. Wow. Glad to see her back on TV.

Heard of the game and was aware of how people loved the story, but never played it. Anyway, while watching this I was really into everything up to his daughter's death. It was nothing new or groundbreaking but it had me into it riveted. After that though, the show reminded me A LOT of the recent miniseries "DMZ", which was a huge disappointment, and host of other "The world is in chaos" type shows so I lost some of the being riveted. To be fair, I guess all these shows tend to look alike when the world goes to shit. But to be honest, for me, some of best parts of those shows are seeing the world starting to fall apart in the early days/episodes. That said, I'm still in. I do believe this will likely get a lot better.

I listened to the Official Podcast for the show this morning on my way to work and it gave me so good info
Old 01-17-23, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Re: The Last of Us (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "When You're Lost in the Darkness" -- 1/15/23

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Shit, didn't even recognize Anna Torv. Wow. Glad to see her back on TV.

Heard of the game and was aware of how people loved the story, but never played it. Anyway, while watching this I was really into everything up to his daughter's death. It was nothing new or groundbreaking but it had me into it riveted. After that though, the show reminded me A LOT of the recent miniseries "DMZ", which was a huge disappointment, and host of other "The world is in chaos" type shows so I lost some of the being riveted. To be fair, I guess all these shows tend to look alike when the world goes to shit. But to be honest, for me, some of best parts of those shows are seeing the world starting to fall apart in the early days/episodes. That said, I'm still in. I do believe this will likely get a lot better.

I listened to the Official Podcast for the show this morning on my way to work and it gave me so good info
That is basically just this part. The rest of the show (should be) basically a road trip movie with all the obstacles they encounter along the way.
Old 01-17-23, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Having just played both games for the first time a few months ago, some of the casting is a bit jarring, but that’s always a pitfall of being familiar with source material.

I couldn’t place Anna Torv either. And I watched every episode of Fringe. She’s had a rough decade since that show ended.
Old 01-17-23, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Having just played both games for the first time a few months ago, some of the casting is a bit jarring, but that’s always a pitfall of being familiar with source material.

I couldn’t place Anna Torv either. And I watched every episode of Fringe. She’s had a rough decade since that show ended.
Agreed. I think Joel is spot on. Tommy felt a bit off and Ellie will take some getting used to.
Old 01-17-23, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought Tess was Carrie Coon at first.

I'm usually the watch the movie/TV show first read the books later person, but I'm glad I took the time to beat the game before the show started.

One of my best gaming experiences from a narrative stand point I ever played.
The following users liked this post:
ViewAskewbian (01-18-23)
Old 01-18-23, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I recognized Anna Torv immediately. Her face is burned into my mind from Fringe. I loved her so much in that show.
Old 01-18-23, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

it’s the zombie apocalypse. Anyway, she looked fine on Mindhunter
Old 01-18-23, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
it’s the zombie apocalypse. Anyway, she looked fine on Mindhunter
They definitely weathered her up a bit for the role (plus we saw immediately after she was beat up in the first episode). Looking at recent pictures of her online, she still looks pretty damn good.
Old 01-18-23, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

It’s been years since I played the first game so I’m not too hung up on some of the details, but I thought the episode was really good. I got stuck in one part of the second game so maybe I’ll have to get back to it before season 2.

I watched the whole run of Fringe but didn’t recognize Anna Torv.

As far as the comment about why care about whether the show looks like the game, I agree that the quality of the show should be first—e.g., don’t cast a bad actor just because they have the correct “look.” But for other stuff like outfits and scenes, why not? You need to have those things anyway, and unless they’re taking up an undeserved amount of resources (either money or time), you might as well toss a bone to the fans, and the filmmakers are likely fans as well.
Old 01-18-23, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I feel lucky I know nothing about the game.

So it’s like later walking dead episodes, except good. I enjoyed the whole thing.

Also there is something so good about watching the early events of an apocalypse. I can’t think of any movies that got it wrong.
Old 01-18-23, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Also there is something so good about watching the early events of an apocalypse. I can’t think of any movies that got it wrong.
exactly! Thats what i was getting at in my post above. Its usually the best part of these types of films and shows.
Old 01-20-23, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: 'The Last of Us' Series in the Works at HBO From 'Chernobyl' Creator

Wasn't that impressed with the first episode but I like the actors from other works. I'll give EP2 a try.
Old 01-21-23, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Enjoyed it enough, haven't played the games. It wasn't really anything new we haven't seen before (so far) but I'll stick with it. Hope there's something that sets it apart from other post-apocalyptic/zombie/infected stuff.
Old 01-21-23, 05:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

^ I'd keep your expectations in check, to be honest. The original game was released in 2013, so although it was kind of special at the time, at least from a gaming perspective, a lot has come since then that will make the story itself seem like it's not covering any new ground. We'll see how the show plays out in comparison to the game, but there's already some subtle differences in that department.
I still think it'll be a very solid show, though.

I won't go into detail further than that, as I don't think it's wise to speculate too much about show vs. game stuff until it actually plays out. Too easy to spoil stuff unintentionally, regardless of how vague people think they're being.
Boondock Saint (01-21-23)
Old 01-21-23, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Big fan of the game (haven't played the second one) but haven't played it since it originally came out but I still remembered a good deal of it, cause it's storyline was really terrific.

I thought this opener was pretty solid, but nothing too spectacular. Like some other posters have said, it didn't feel that different from a lot of the post-apocalyptic stuff that airs these days, but I am optimistic cause I have a general sense of where the storyline is going. I did really, really like Pedro Pascal, but then again I didn't really have an issue when they cast him and kinda expected him to be a good Joel. The Ellie kid surprised me. Obviously a bit different than I expected but I thought she was solid and I liked her acting. I also appreciated that they made it an 82 minute episode or whatever it was, as opposed to breaking it up into two parts, as I think was originally planned. All in all, I think it's off to a good start, and I expect it to get better...but it's not like the pilot blew me away or anything...
Boondock Saint (01-21-23)
Old 01-21-23, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

I’ve owned the original game forever but have never popped it in. This grabbed my attention the whole time, so no problems there. Recognized Anna Torv immediately (huge Fringe fan) and it’s fun to see Merle Dandridge reprise her role.

One of my best friends from high school married a girl we met in college who is best friends with Merle from her high school. I was a groomsmen and Merle was the maid of honor at their wedding. My dad even performed the ceremony. Really cool that they got her in for this.

Bring on Episode 2!
Old 01-22-23, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I’ve owned the original game forever but have never popped it in. This grabbed my attention the whole time, so no problems there. Recognized Anna Torv immediately (huge Fringe fan) and it’s fun to see Merle Dandridge reprise her role.

One of my best friends from high school married a girl we met in college who is best friends with Merle from her high school. I was a groomsmen and Merle was the maid of honor at their wedding. My dad even performed the ceremony. Really cool that they got her in for this.

Bring on Episode 2!
Dude, when you get around to playing it you are in for such a treat. It's hard to describe how awesome playing it is for the first time...I haven't played it since then, but just after the hype for the show and watching the pilot, I'm super tempted to fire up the game one more time...

Trust me, man, you'll love that game...
Draven (01-23-23)
Old 01-22-23, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I actually always fell asleep playing the game, but the "this season on Last of Us" trailer makes me regret stopping where I did.
Old 01-23-23, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

I've never played the game and with that said, this started out excellent but once it got to present time, it just felt like a walking dead spinoff - the acting got worse somehow as well. I may still give it a go but I'm just not interested right now.
Old 01-23-23, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Interesting that Naughty Dog started developing The Last of Us a year before Walking Dead started. Then again, when I was playing the game I was thinking more of The Stand.
Old 01-23-23, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Ok. I haven’t played any “modern” video games, it’s really been over a decade since I’ve done that so I have no idea about what they are.

To me this looks like another zombie apocalypse show like Walking Dead. Didn’t care for that a little bit.

So I’m just hoping this isn’t another running from the dead story.

Would not have known that was Torv if it wasn’t in this thread.
Old 02-05-23, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Ok. I haven’t played any “modern” video games, it’s really been over a decade since I’ve done that so I have no idea about what they are.

To me this looks like another zombie apocalypse show like Walking Dead. Didn’t care for that a little bit.

So I’m just hoping this isn’t another running from the dead story.

Would not have known that was Torv if it wasn’t in this thread.
Same here. I watched the first 2 episodes last night given it's the new buzz show. I should have known it was a zombie show. Never understood the fascination with zombies. So I have zero further interest in this
Old 02-05-23, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Same here. I watched the first 2 episodes last night given it's the new buzz show. I should have known it was a zombie show. Never understood the fascination with zombies. So I have zero further interest in this
Watch one more before you give up!
Decker (02-05-23)
Old 02-05-23, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Watch one more before you give up!
Do the zombies all die at once - Poochie style - and then it picks up? No thanks. I just have zero interest in the zombie genre and was just throughout the 2nd episode. To each their own.

I don't like zombies, horror, fantasy, mystical shows/movies. Never have.
Old 02-05-23, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Do the zombies all die at once - Poochie style - and then it picks up? No thanks. I just have zero interest in the zombie genre and was just throughout the 2nd episode. To each their own.

I don't like zombies, horror, fantasy, mystical shows/movies. Never have.
There are very close to no zombies in Episode 3. There are literally just two and they're both very briefly around and not menacing.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.