DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Last of Us (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "When You're Lost in the Darkness" -- 1/15/23 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/657091-last-us-s1e01-series-premiere-when-youre-lost-darkness-1-15-23-a.html)

DJariya 01-15-23 07:25 PM

The Last of Us (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "When You're Lost in the Darkness" -- 1/15/23

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...31716c7f2d.jpg

9 episode season. Premieres at 9pm ET and runs 85 minutes. That's way past all the old guys here's bed time. I won't expect much chatter tonight. :D

Mike86 01-15-23 07:40 PM

Re: The Last of Us (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "When You're Lost in the Darkness" -- 1/15/23

I think I’ll give this a try. Haven’t played the games but have wanted to. The series looks like it’ll be good and reviews seem to indicate it is.

DJariya 01-15-23 07:43 PM

Re: The Last of Us (S1E01) -- Series Premiere -- "When You're Lost in the Darkness" -- 1/15/23

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_last_of_us/s01

98% on RT and 89% audience score. This did have early sneak preview screenings for select audiences (not critics) So there are people who saw the 1st episode legally.

I've never played the game, so I don't care about game spoilers. I know there's a few here who are hesitant to watch because they want to play the game. I mean it's your call. If you don't care about keeping up, then play the game 1st. But, this show will be in the pop culture world for at least the next 2 months.

Osiris3657 01-15-23 08:19 PM

Watching. Played the first game, haven't touched the 2nd one yet. Interested to see how closely it follows the games

dex14 01-15-23 09:26 PM

Thought it was a great start.

Thandiwe Newton’s daughter looks just like her.

csant 01-15-23 09:28 PM

I think that was a very good start. Can't wait for more...

Why So Blu? 01-15-23 09:44 PM

Liked it a lot and the 4K DV / Atmos was great. The prologue in 2003 was clearly taken from the beginning of Zach Snyder's Dawn of Dead - almost beat for beat. But yeah, Snyder is a hack and here we are where Last of Us is paying tribute to that film's opening. :lol:

Osiris3657 01-15-23 09:45 PM

I don't care for the actress who plays Ellie. Frankly I don't care for the Pedro Pascal casting. I'd prefer they had chosen someone who looks like the videogame Joel

RichC2 01-15-23 09:45 PM

Welp this is definitely true to the game. Didn't mind Pascal, didn't like Ellie. Will keep watching.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14220625)
Liked it a lot and the 4K DV / Atmos was great. The prologue in 2003 was clearly taken from the beginning of Zach Snyder's Dawn of Dead - almost beat for beat. But yeah, Snyder is a hack and here we are where Last of Us is paying tribute to that film's opening.

That's the game's doing, the opening here is nearly 100% identical to it with bonus plane action. FWIW, most seem to agree the opening to Dawn of the Dead is the best thing Snyder has done.

For those that haven't played the game:

Maxflier 01-15-23 09:51 PM

Wasn’t crazy about the leads casting either, but first episode was pretty Goddamn solid.

Why So Blu? 01-15-23 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 14220627)
Welp this is definitely true to the game. Didn't mind Pascal, didn't like Ellie. Will keep watching.

That's the game's doing, the opening here is nearly 100% identical to it with bonus plane action. FWIW, most seem to agree the opening to Dawn of the Dead is the best thing Snyder has done.

For those that haven't played the game:

Ok, so the game ripped off the opening to DoD. Not complaining, but it made me chuckle. I own the games but never finished them.

RichC2 01-15-23 09:54 PM

Me neither but I did start them :lol:

Why So Blu? 01-15-23 09:56 PM

I think Pascal is great and have no problem with Ellie's casting. I think the pervs are hating that, because the game version was cuter, even though she was still a teenager there.

RichC2 01-15-23 10:05 PM

I just don't like her line delivery, but I can imagine there are some upset by her looks since that's always the first thing that comes up on a fan base heavy show.

New Lurker 01-15-23 10:07 PM

Nailed it. That was a damn good representation of the game. Even knowing what was coming with Sarah it still got me in the feels because it was so well done and so close to exactly how it played out in the game.

Also glad the dog didn't get got. I hate when TV shows harm dogs. Even ones that throw infected children in a fire pit.

Why So Blu? 01-15-23 10:09 PM

When the plane went down -- gave my Atmos system an awesome workout!

Mike86 01-15-23 10:13 PM

I thought this was good. I know very little about the games but I thought Pedro Pascal was great as Joel. We didn’t see a lot of Ellie in this episode for me to judge her but I thought she was alright. I’ll keep on watching. Would like to play the games eventually.

Daytripper 01-15-23 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14220634)
I think Pascal is great and have no problem with Ellie's casting. I think the pervs are hating that, because the game version was cuter, even though she was still a teenager there.

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14220614)

Agree with both of you. I'm hooked and can't wait for the second episode. The first time I ever saw Pedro Pascal was in that dreadful "Wonder Woman" sequel. And he was the worst thing about it. Over the top and hammy. I haven't seen "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent" yet but he looked much more subdued in the trailer. But he turned in a solid performance here.

Spoiler:
Such a shame we won't be seeing Nico Parker in other episodes. I was shocked to see her getting killed this soon. I really enjoyed her in the short time she was in the show

Dan 01-15-23 10:38 PM

Yeah, the casting is better than I expected, as I wasn't keen on the actors leading up to this. They're great here, though.
Cool to see Brendan Fletcher, even in a smaller role.

​​​​​​

Why So Blu? 01-15-23 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 14220650)
Agree with both of you. I'm hooked and can't wait for the second episode. The first time I ever saw Pedro Pascal was in that dreadful "Wonder Woman" sequel. And he was the worst thing about it. Over the top and hammy. I haven't seen "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent" yet but he looked much more subdued in the trailer. But he turned in a solid performance here.

Spoiler:
Such a shame we won't be seeing Nico Parker in other episodes. I was shocked to see her getting killed this soon. I really enjoyed her in the short time she was in the show

He's awesome in just about everything else he has done. He was great in:

GoT
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Narcos (30 episodes on Netflix)
The Great Wall
Prospect
Mandalorian

Daytripper 01-15-23 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 14220614)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 14220634)

Spoiler:
Agree with both of you. I'm hooked and can't wait for the second episode. The first time I ever saw Pedro Pascal was in that dreadful "Wonder Woman" sequel. And he was the worst thing about it. Over the top and hammy. I haven't seen "The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent" yet but he looked much more subdued in that. But he turned in a solid performance here. Such a shame we won't be seeing Nico Parker in other episodes. I was shocked to see her getting killed this soon. I really enjoyed her in the short time she was in the show

Abob Teff 01-15-23 11:41 PM

Color me disappointed in the first episode. It was well-done, but I have played the game and was afraid we would get a slavish recreation ... and I was correct for the opening episode. I am guessing it won't continue on the beat-for-beat path and this was to get people in. Yes, there were some additions and some contractions, but nothing that made any difference (other than communicating the effects of infection differently and holding on to some of those "surprises" for later) or that provided anything new for those who have been through the story already.

If I hadn't played the game, I have to believe this would have seemed like an incredibly slow start.

I'm not blown away by the casting, but I am not put off by it either.

Did anybody else catch Ellie's reaction when Joel attacked the soldier? That was messed up.

Was the talk show host Larry from For All Mankind?

Dan 01-15-23 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 14220672)
Did anybody else catch Ellie's reaction when Joel attacked the soldier? That was messed up.

Oh yeah. Ellie's down with the violence.

Was the talk show host Larry from For All Mankind?
It was the guy who plays Big Head from Silicon Valley.
https://m.imdb.com/name/nm3091777/

Edit: or was it? I don't see this show in his credits... But I could have sworn it was him

Decker 01-16-23 12:34 AM

:lol:

GoldenJCJ 01-16-23 12:45 AM

I thought it was a fantastic start. I only played a little bit of the first game and the first episode of this series ended right around the place I stopped playing so everything from here on out will be new to me.

I like the casting so far. Pascal is always good and the girl who plays Ellie seems like she’ll be just fine. Lady Mormont was a badass in GoT so I’m hoping for the best. I also forgot Anna Torv was in this so that was nice to see.

I love post-apocalyptic shit like this so I’m in for the series!