TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E01&E02) - "Part I" & "Part II" - 5/27/22

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-22, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E01&E02) - "Part I" & "Part II" - 5/27/22

Originally Posted by General Zod
I though the Third Sister character was interesting. I don't know Star Wars lore at all so it got my wondering exactly what the heck happened she was so obsessed with finding him she'll resort to just about anything.
According to the third episode,
Spoiler:
It seems like she's trying to score points with Darth Vader so she can become the Grand Inquisitor. Could be more to it, though.

(Not a HUGE spoiler, but I spoilered it for this thread.)
Old 06-01-22, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Well, one thing is for sure -- Obi-Wan is using the training he got from Liam Neeson, going on a mission to rescue his "daughter" using his particular set of skills.
They use this joke repeatedly in the new Lego Star Wars game when you play as Qui-Gon.
The following users liked this post:
emachine12 (06-01-22)
Old 06-01-22, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Be careful on here, everybody. Over on that other forum, the more advanced one, this thread has been locked. It's too many pages for me to mess with, but I'm sure it got crazy.
Old 06-02-22, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

I watched the second episode and I do have to say the "stunts and movements" / the parkour and force stuff just looked stupid for her were terrible effects. the obsession with Obi-wan was bordering on ludicrous but nothing she did deserves to be trolled. Nothing.
Old 06-02-22, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,152 Likes on 900 Posts

Finally got around to watching Part II last night. Better than the first episode by quite a bit in my opinion.

The city we saw was kind of cool and I liked the night setting. Young Leia kind of annoyed me at times, but overall I liked her more in the second episode versus the first one.

Also was interesting, but sad seeing the Clone veteran street beggar. Cool to see 4-LOM too or at least a droid who looks the same.
Old 06-02-22, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Good to know that anyone that has any sort of criticism of the performance by Moses Ingram is going to be painted with the Racist brush. At least it isn't the misogynist brush, I guess.
TGM (06-02-22)
Old 06-03-22, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
but nothing she did deserves to be trolled. Nothing.
How exactly is she getting trolled? Any examples of what you are talking about?
Old 06-05-22, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I think young Leia was really bad in this. Not Jake Lloyd bad, but I can’t believe with a presumably nationwide casting search, this little girl was the best.

The Inquisitors were all bad.

Thank God this show has a stable and talented lead like McGregor.
miller_time22 (06-06-22)
Old 06-05-22, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t necessarily like the idea of the character being such a big part of the show, but I don’t think by child actress standards she’s that bad. She’s grown on me more as the show has gone on.
Old 06-05-22, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
Good to know that anyone that has any sort of criticism of the performance by Moses Ingram is going to be painted with the Racist brush. At least it isn't the misogynist brush, I guess.
I mean.. a lot of it was people making those types of comments about her and the character she’s portraying. Not saying that applies to you, but there were some pretty gross comments being made about her. Some bad actors had to be called out and now people are upset. Welcome to the modern age where there’s always got to be some kind of a controversy.
Old 06-05-22, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
It was a story because she was getting all sorts of ugly racist DMs sent to her. But also on a larger level, a lot of Star Wars fans were criticizing her and it had.a bit of a racist overtone — just a “why are we getting her in such a big part, why is she being forced down our throats” sort of thing.
Sure one can criticize a bad performance by an actor of color without being racist. But I don’t think she’s bad at all. And I was checking some reviews out to see if any TV critics thought she was bad :
Likewise, Obi-Wan’s innate sense of decency gets a foil in Reva a.k.a. the Third Sister (Moses Ingram). Appearing in the series before even he does, Reva makes a strong impression as not only a Sith Inquisitor but one made more ruthless and callous than her colleagues by a fury so icy it burns. Her dogged pursuit of Obi-Wan has a personal edge that hints at plot twists to be revealed later — but more interesting right now is the way both characters seem unable to move on from old wounds, no matter how firmly others might insist they need to.
— Hollywood Reporter

It’s a relief when Ben finally starts letting go of his determination to stay hidden, not least because it also means exploring planets beyond Tatooine. Glimpses into the Imperial rule that’s overtaken the galaxy in the years since Anakin’s downfall also bring in the “Inquisitors,” an enforcement brigade tasked with hunting down and exterminating Jedis. Rupert Friend and Sung Kang, faces heavily caked in makeup, play the Inquisitors with more hierarchal power, but it’s Moses Ingram whose character bears the emotional weight in her hellbent search for the elusive Obi-Wan Kenobi. Ingram, who brought far more to her “Queen’s Gambit” character than existed on the page, seizes the opportunity to create the kind of purring, grandstanding villain that “Star Wars” dreams are made of, though she can’t quite overcome the cheesiness of her heel turn action sequences. For as good as director Deborah Chow (a “Mandalorian” alum) is at finding slices of poignance and humor in the more dialogue-driven moments, most of her fight scenes opt for more basic setups than slick subversions.
— Variety

Fresh personalities spark on screen as well, including Kumail Nanjiani as a con man Obi-Wan comes across on a mission. The best new character – and the most intriguing personality in the show, more so than even its namesake – is Reva (Moses Ingram), a lightsaber-wielding female Inquisitor who’s ruthless, reckless and for reasons that will probably be explored, hellbent on eliminating Obi-Wan. In a Dark Side sense, she reminds us of the Anakin we saw in the “Star Wars” prequels, making her ambitions to please her iconic boss in the black helmet all the more fascinating.
- USA Today

Some 17 years after Ewan McGregor was last seen as Obi-Wan, he brings more depth, more of a world-weary wisdom to the role. It’s commanding work. The supporting cast, particularly Rupert Friend and Moses Ingram, is excellent. Production design and costumes are magnificent, and the special effects are solid if not spectacular. As is the case with many a “Star Wars” title, the dialogue sometimes borders on the corny, but director Deborah Chow (“The Mandalorian”) has a keen sense of pacing and a distinct visual style that holds our interest even in the quieter moments.
- Chicago Sun-Times

Sepinwall at least addresses the underwritten motivation, but doesn’t criticize the actor’s performance :
As was the case in the prequels, McGregor’s presence forgives many narrative sins. There’s various bits of sloppiness sprinkled throughout these episodes. The Inquisitors, for instance, seem fairly laid-back about letting Nari get away from them the first time, while the rooftop standoff in the second hour seems to end abruptly once Obi-Wan saves Leia, even though he appeared to be pinned down by enemy fire. And Moses Ingram from The Queen’s Gambit is basically given one note to play as Reva, which might work if we had some idea of why she hates Obi-Wan so much. By withholding that answer for later in the season, it puts a lot of weight on the revelation to justify it(*).
If all these critics, whose job is literally to critique the performances don’t have an issue with Ingram in this role, I don’t think there actually is one.

For those interested, I recommend checking out the Instant Reaction to Episode 3 of Obi Wan on The Ringerverse Podcast on Spotify where “The Midnight Boys”, who are all African American (I think) discuss in great detain the underlying toxicity of a large part of the Star Wars fan base, and why it’s so hard for some to accept people of color in larger roles in their favorite IPs. It was upsetting but an eye-opening debate they had at the beginning of the podcast.

Last edited by Decker; 06-05-22 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-07-22, 10:06 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I forgot to write about this here, but when I showed this to our kids who are in elementary school, the first scene at the Jedi Temple started. They both immediately said something to the effect of, "Oh, it's a school. It's like the school shooting in Texas. That teacher is trying to save them. This is really sad." It hit them hard. We paused and talked about it for a bit, then moved on. It was not lost on them at all. The last few nights, we've been watching some of Revenge of the Sith to catch up on the backstory and when the Jedi Temple scene happened, they went right back to that same place emotionally. We talked about it again. Tough stuff.
Old 06-07-22, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

^ Yeah, and don't forget the Sequel Trilogy, where they made the antagonist another fucking school shooter -- with a dose of creepy incel stalker thrown into the mix as well.

But then he felt kind of bad about killing his dad, so we can forgive him.

Old 06-26-22, 10:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Fuck, this is really not good. I’m bailing after the first episode. It’s slow like the sequel trilogy, slow and uninteresting story, more stupid politics talk, and the woman Jedi hunter is pretty damn annoying.And hey, let’s cut off a woman’s hand! Yeah, as someone who grew up on Star Wars, less is more in this case. Sticking a fork in this turd of a franchise at this point. I’d rather waste time on just about any other show now.
Old 06-26-22, 10:57 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

well... bye.
Old 06-26-22, 11:01 AM
Banned by request

Oh don’t get me wrong, Disney will continue to churn this crap out. So you all have nothing to worry about there.
Old 06-26-22, 11:17 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
Oh don’t get me wrong, Disney will continue to churn this crap out. So you all have nothing to worry about there.
I think you just need to turn your adult mind off and enjoy the ride with Star Wars. Or, if you simply cannot do it anymore, then leave like you say you are, and I commend you for it.

Nothing will beat the OT for me, primarily because I was a kid when they came out. But even as an adult I can see that they are (especially Ep4 and 5) far superior to anything that's come after it.

The prequels were generally boring CGI fests with terrible writing and acting (save for Macgregor and Mcdiarmid). The Force Awakens was a complete retread but introduced a cool new sandbox that Rian Johnson then proceeded to shit all over. Rise of Skywalker was a desperate attempt to course correct while also trying to deal with the death of Fisher which just felt rushed and ultimately unsatisfying. The Mandalorian is generally enjoyable but still can have some eye rolling groan inducing scenes. The Book of Boba Fett castrated one of the biggest badasses in the SW universe. I've watches bits and pieces of The Clone Wars and Rebels, and they seem fine for what they are, cartoons for kids. I really enjoyed the Bad Batch actually, loved the concept. So basically I'm saying my relationship with SW has had its ups, downs, and sideways.

Kenobi was more of a sideways for me. Reva and her storyline are laughable and unnecessary. But this show paints Vader like you've rarely seen him before... a great white shark... it's great seeming him being this relentless tyrant and the battles between Kenobi and Vader are some of the best in the entire cinematic history and worth watching just for that.

I've come to terms that no new Star Wars will ever match what I felt as a boy watching the OT, but for the most part, good, bad, or meh, every SW offering since has provided at the very least a couple of scenes that made me feel like that little boy again, so for that, I'm always going to give every SW show a full chance, because those feelings are few and far between in our lives as we get older and more jaded.

Old 06-26-22, 11:32 AM
Banned by request

Never said I was going for leave it, just this show - and any other that doesn’t expand this universe rather than treading the same boring themes. This is a universe that can add to and expand for new generations. And these writers or whoever is running this doesn’t have the sense to do any of that. They just go and pull up whatever old words and worlds and continue to drone on about that.

Biggest beef I have if that they have rarely done that. The Mandalorian gave the TV universe a great start, then just went back to the prequel trilogy nonsense of the parts that do nothing for this universe.

I’m like you, I grew up in it, that doesn’t mean we need to embrace it, when even having to “turn adult mind off”. Zero need for us to have to do that. My relationship with SW also has had its ups, downs, and sideways, but I refuse to just bow down to whatever is getting thrown at us. But bottom line is that this show isn’t good at all. I may try the rest of the episodes at some point, cause Star Wars, but not anytime soon.