The Rookie (ABC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 1/3/21

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,110 Likes on 804 Posts
Re: The Rookie (ABC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 1/3/21

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Woke with a side of woke.

Bradford was a tough as nails cop and is now apologizing in every single episode for being a Man.
That story that Chen told about her first day was very illustrative of Blue privilege and how many cops think the badge gives them a right to mess with people "in the name of the law" --when they are really just being assholes.
Old 01-26-21, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

I think the people who keep describing this show as “woke” will be happier if they just stop watching. And that’s fine. Don’t like the direction? Vote with your remote,
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (01-26-21)
Old 01-26-21, 11:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I think the people who keep describing this show as “woke” will be happier if they just stop watching. And that’s fine. Don’t like the direction? Vote with your remote,
Thats nice, but I like the show and will continue to watch and comment. The show barely gets any interest here
Old 01-27-21, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,041 Likes on 858 Posts

Thats nice, but I like the show and will continue to watch and comment. The show barely gets any interest here
Fine with me. It just seemed like you weren’t enjoying it.
Old 02-03-21, 09:58 PM

Received 813 Likes on 529 Posts

I have finally caught up with all the episodes this season… And I like the direction it’s going. Whoever thought that Brandon Routh could not play a bad cop... wow, he’s a jerk... and doing a pretty good job at it.

my favorite part of the episode was Detective Lopez chewing out her sergeant… And then calmly being put in her place. That was great.
Old 02-03-21, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
my favorite part of the episode was Detective Lopez chewing out her sergeant… And then calmly being put in her place. That was great.
I actually hated that part. The boss detective changed the rotation for ONE case. I don't think it was appropriate for her to decide that the action even required an explanation, but since she did, instead of jumping to a conclusion and looking like a fool, how about just asking the guy. Lopez was always smart, practical and level-headed. This was out of character for her, and I don't think the show is doing its argument that a pregnant woman can still get the job done if it appears the pregnancy is leading her to bad decisions.
Old 02-23-21, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 976 Likes on 707 Posts

For those who many have dropped this recently, the racist cop sub plot appears to be over.

I'd imagine they're having Nolan to back to school so he can still seem like "rookie" at something on the show.
Old 02-23-21, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't like how Routh's character was brought down. It doesn't seem likely he'd forget to turn his camera off while he watched his rookie get beat up when earlier in the episode he made a point to turn it off so he could have a conversation off the record with him.
Old 02-23-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I didn't like how Routh's character was brought down. It doesn't seem likely he'd forget to turn his camera off while he watched his rookie get beat up when earlier in the episode he made a point to turn it off so he could have a conversation off the record with him.
He didn't. Remember earlier in the episode where he wanted to talk to West privately? West turned off his camera and Routh said something like "I know as well as you do that as soon as you turn it on, it already has 2 minutes of recording". Basically they never turn off, which is why they threw them into the car to talk.

When West was trying to get him close to say something to him, he turned Routh's camera back on which automatically would have provided the previous 2 minutes, including the attack. If he had left it off until the attack was 3+ minutes prior, it wouldn't have been captured.

Last edited by Noonan; 02-23-21 at 01:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (02-23-21)
Old 02-23-21, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

I was hesitant when they brought in Mekia Cox in to replace Afton Williamson as the T.O. I have to say the show is infinitely better with her now. She can play hard nose badass but also can show a fun side. We never got that before with Bishop. Maybe that is partly the writers fault but this is a much better show with Cox.
The following 3 users liked this post by Deftones:
Cellar Door (02-23-21), DJariya (02-23-21), Noonan (02-23-21)
Old 02-23-21, 02:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Noonan
For those who many have dropped this recently, the racist cop sub plot appears to be over.

I'd imagine they're having Nolan to back to school so he can still seem like "rookie" at something on the show.
Im sure it’ll come up again in a few episodes.

This week we had the only two white male leads both apologize Over and over for being white and cops. Good times.

Good to see Tok back with Fillion. They had great chemistry on the last season on Castle.
Old 02-23-21, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
I was hesitant when they brought in Mekia Cox in to replace Afton Williamson as the T.O. I have to say the show is infinitely better with her now. She can play hard nose badass but also can show a fun side. We never got that before with Bishop. Maybe that is partly the writers fault but this is a much better show with Cox.
I agree. Very unfortunate how it ended for Williamson but Cox is a better fit. She was good in Chicago Med as well.

Also, nice flashback seeing the actor from Fast & Furious 3. Not sure of his name but I don't think I've seen him in anything since.

Last edited by Noonan; 02-23-21 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-23-21, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
He didn't. Remember earlier in the episode where he wanted to talk to West privately? West turned off his camera and Routh said something like "I know as well as you do that as soon as you turn it on, it already has 2 minutes of recording". Basically they never turn off, which is why they threw them into the car to talk.

When West was trying to get him close to say something to him, he turned Routh's camera back on which automatically would have provided the previous 2 minutes, including the attack. If he had left it off until the attack was 3+ minutes prior, it wouldn't have been captured.
Thanks. I thought West was stopping the recording at that point but he was turning on the camera. Makes sense now.
Old 02-23-21, 04:48 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

this show has gotten bad.
Old 02-23-21, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Billy Riggins! Always getting in trouble!

The plot with Chen and the under cover op was beyond eyes rolling. And you’re telling me that wasn’t a teaching moment with Harper to tell Chen under cover stuff will sap any family life or ideals?! She just went through that getting access to her daughter back!

I didn’t mind the Nolan at school plot, even with some of the cops are bad overtones, but the part when the teacher weighed in with her personal opinion was too much.
Old 02-25-21, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Holy shit that whole episode was beyond ridiculous.
Old 02-25-21, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never watched Castle, but someone said the professor was on that show. Do you think they brought her on to be a new love interest for Nolan?
Old 02-25-21, 09:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I never watched Castle, but someone said the professor was on that show. Do you think they brought her on to be a new love interest for Nolan?
I hope so. Tok and Fillion haD awesome chemistry on the last season of Castle, and it was clear when they did not pick up Stanas contract for a potential new season, they were writing her off in favor of Tok. I think the idea was her and Castle would be PI agents or something, but ABC wound up canning the show at the last minute. Since The Rookie is by the last show runner of Castle, it seems clear she is being written in for a potential love interest role...and I'm all for it. She was also great in THE NEIGHBORS.

For others, she did mention something about "2021 being a new work" or something for ACAB/BLM/BBQ ...so did the show time jump from March 2020 to 2021? Did I miss something?
Old 02-25-21, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk God

For someone who is so pissed about how "woke" the show has become, clearly you aren't following through on your threat to stop watching.
Old 02-25-21, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deftones
For someone who is so pissed about how "woke" the show has become, clearly you aren't following through on your threat to stop watching.
Did I say I would stop watching it?

it’s terribly woke, so hopefully they take note and fix it. Shame, since it has such a great cast
Old 02-26-21, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk God

I really like(d?) this show, but I don’t know how much longer I’ll stick around.
Old 02-26-21, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like(d?) this show, but I don’t know how much longer I’ll stick around.
Sounds like my parents toasting each other on their 20th wedding anniversary . . . and then their 30th . . . and their 40th.
Old 02-26-21, 11:03 AM
Suspended

That doesn't mean i stopped watching yet.

anything else? We know how much you love BLM crap tossed into everything. We are so woke now

The immense negative reaction to this shit season hopefully will get them to change course quick.
Old 02-26-21, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

If the actor who plays Jackson was the one banging the drum for this kind of story the most they should have just cut him loose. He's the weakest actor of the main cast anyway and they've been featuring him way too much, There wasn't even any Alyssa Diaz in this last episode, and she's one of the best on the show.
Old 02-26-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

That doesn't mean i stopped watching yet.

anything else? We know how much you love BLM crap tossed into everything. We are so woke now

The immense negative reaction to this shit season hopefully will get them to change course quick.
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
If the actor who plays Jackson was the one banging the drum for this kind of story the most they should have just cut him loose. He's the weakest actor of the main cast anyway and they've been featuring him way too much, There wasn't even any Alyssa Diaz in this last episode, and she's one of the best on the show.
Buckaroo maybe you’re not implying anything, but your post reads to me as you’re suggesting the actor who plays Jackson pushed for certain plot points because he’s black. If that’s the case - completely uncalled for and I’d argue unfounded. If I’m wrong, sorry, but I’d ask a moderator to weigh in.

Many of your posts (and Gizmo in multiple threads across the board...) make clear you’re not in favor of plots that have decided to focus and illuminate trending social issues. While I appreciate your perspective, the message is getting very repetitive and tiresome. You’ve said your piece.

I think you can move on, especially if you’re not satisfied with plots!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.