TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Rookie (ABC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 1/3/21

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-21, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts
Re: The Rookie (ABC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 1/3/21

Originally Posted by Superman07
Buckaroo maybe you’re not implying anything, but your post reads to me as you’re suggesting the actor who plays Jackson pushed for certain plot points because he’s black. If that’s the case - completely uncalled for and I’d argue unfounded. If I’m wrong, sorry, but I’d ask a moderator to weigh in.
You tagged someone else other than me.

I'll have to go back to find it but I could have sworn I read something that mentioned the actor wanted the storyline. I would not have implied that simply because he's black. Besides there are many black actors on the show, all of which are better actors than he is.

EDIT: Post 44 of this very thread....

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/65...l#post13876774

"A lot of people are finding a voice, and I found that for myself, where I was like, 'Oh wow, I've been complacent,'" Makin tells EW. "I woke up one morning and I was watching the news, and I was like, 'I can't do this. I can't go play a cop on a show and not talk about the fact that I'm a Black cop.' My character hadn't addressed any of that."

He adds, "I had that conversation with Alexi [Hawley], our showrunner, and he was extremely gracious and he totally understood everything I was saying. I did come to that point where I was like, 'If you want to write me out, I politely receive that. I would rather be written out than ignore the reality and not be able to tell the story.'"

But Hawley and his team weren't interested in ignoring that reality and were intentional about addressing Makin's concerns. The result, or at least its beginnings, came in Sunday's episode, "La Fiera."
Old 02-26-21, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Did a I miss a throwaway line or reference about where the Ali Larter character went? Or did they just ghost her?
Old 02-26-21, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Did a I miss a throwaway line or reference about where the Ali Larter character went? Or did they just ghost her?
She told Nolan she was getting back with her husband for her kids' sake. I believe that happened near the end of last season.
Old 02-26-21, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Yeah, she said she wanted to work things out and that was that.
Old 02-26-21, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 176 Posts

Ah, that's right. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 02-26-21, 08:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
If the actor who plays Jackson was the one banging the drum for this kind of story the most they should have just cut him loose. He's the weakest actor of the main cast anyway and they've been featuring him way too much, There wasn't even any Alyssa Diaz in this last episode, and she's one of the best on the show.
Alyssa is out because she was pregnant in real life and likely had her baby or left on leave.
Old 02-26-21, 08:45 PM
Suspended

Buckaroo maybe you’re not implying anything, but your post reads to me as you’re suggesting the actor who plays Jackson pushed for certain plot points because he’s black. If that’s the case - completely uncalled for and I’d argue unfounded. If I’m wrong, sorry, but I’d ask a moderator to weigh in.

Many of your posts (and Gizmo in multiple threads across the board...) make clear you’re not in favor of plots that have decided to focus and illuminate trending social issues. While I appreciate your perspective, the message is getting very repetitive and tiresome. You’ve said your piece.

I think you can move on, especially if you’re not satisfied with plots!
Well, I can speak my mind and its incredibly clear THE ROOKIE had a major change in direction this season to incorporate BLM/ACAD crap into it. Spend an episode or two and move on....but no, the showrunner is devoting an entire season to it and it's clearly hurting the show not only in ratings but fans. It would be fine if it was done in a way that felt natural, but it isnt. They gave us a cartoony racist character, the turned Bradford into a walking apology, and Fillion is all over the damn place. The whole classroom scene last episode was embarrassing.

I like THE ROOKIE, and I like Fillion. I'm not happy with the control of this season and I hope they quickly move past most of this crap and get back to the actual show.

Like many shows, people come in to take a shit on it and leave. Many of which don't even watch it (THE WALKING DEAD is an example). I do, and I can critique it just like many other people do.
Old 02-26-21, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,115 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, I can speak my mind and its incredibly clear THE ROOKIE had a major change in direction this season to incorporate BLM/ACAD crap into it. Spend an episode or two and move on....but no, the showrunner is devoting an entire season to it and it's clearly hurting the show not only in ratings but fans. It would be fine if it was done in a way that felt natural, but it isnt. They gave us a cartoony racist character, the turned Bradford into a walking apology, and Fillion is all over the damn place. The whole classroom scene last episode was embarrassing.

I like THE ROOKIE, and I like Fillion. I'm not happy with the control of this season and I hope they quickly move past most of this crap and get back to the actual show.

Like many shows, people come in to take a shit on it and leave. Many of which don't even watch it (THE WALKING DEAD is an example). I do, and I can critique it just like many other people do.
The thing for me is not that you are criticizing the show, but that your attitude is definitely "why in the world are they doing this and when are they going to stop?"

It was it was very much discussed after last summer's protests that "Hollywood" was going through an industry-wide rethink of how the police were being portrayed, especially in procedural TV shows. There was even minor debate about whether the entire genre needed to be scrapped.
So, maybe you missed all that and your incredulity is genuine, but like the new sensitivity that emerged in the wake of #MeToo, this new wokeness about BLM and issues surrounding cops and how they treat POC seems here to stay for the foreseeable future.

So, it can be frustrating to see you coming here every week to piss and moan about it because this is what the show is now. It is not going back to what you want it to be --at least not this season.
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
Deftones (02-26-21), DJariya (02-26-21)
Old 02-27-21, 10:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
The thing for me is not that you are criticizing the show, but that your attitude is definitely "why in the world are they doing this and when are they going to stop?"

It was it was very much discussed after last summer's protests that "Hollywood" was going through an industry-wide rethink of how the police were being portrayed, especially in procedural TV shows. There was even minor debate about whether the entire genre needed to be scrapped.
So, maybe you missed all that and your incredulity is genuine, but like the new sensitivity that emerged in the wake of #MeToo, this new wokeness about BLM and issues surrounding cops and how they treat POC seems here to stay for the foreseeable future.

So, it can be frustrating to see you coming here every week to piss and moan about it because this is what the show is now. It is not going back to what you want it to be --at least not this season.
Yes, last summer which is practically a lifetime ago. The BLM/ACAB non-sense is non-stop with this show, which is highly disappointing for fans everywhere who want to escape.

Everything is super woke now, and in no way would they just scrap the cop genre. Anyone who said that was a moron. You think NBC would just cancel L&O? Chicago PD? Of course not. They can have a special episode or two devoted to this non-sense and move on.

I will continue to watch and comment on THE ROOKIE. There is little block button you can use if you can't handle reading valid criticism (of someone that watched the show from Day 1) that many other fans feel if you got out of the DVDTalk bubble.
Old 02-27-21, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

You tagged someone else other than me.

I'll have to go back to find it but I could have sworn I read something that mentioned the actor wanted the storyline. I would not have implied that simply because he's black. Besides there are many black actors on the show, all of which are better actors than he is.

EDIT: Post 44 of this very thread....

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/65...l#post13876774
Sorry for the mistag, and thank you for the clarification. I hadn’t seen the other post/quote.
Old 02-27-21, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Yes, last summer which is practically a lifetime ago. The BLM/ACAB non-sense is non-stop with this show, which is highly disappointing for fans everywhere who want to escape.

Everything is super woke now, and in no way would they just scrap the cop genre. Anyone who said that was a moron. You think NBC would just cancel L&O? Chicago PD? Of course not. They can have a special episode or two devoted to this non-sense and move on.

I will continue to watch and comment on THE ROOKIE. There is little block button you can use if you can't handle reading valid criticism (of someone that watched the show from Day 1) that many other fans feel if you got out of the DVDTalk bubble.
I am not going to block your comments because even if I were to tire of reading what you have to say here, you are certainly possible of posting an interesting and original thought in another thread.

And while I am not going to deny that your criticism is a valid opinion, and I will admit that I have absolutely no idea how widespread this feeling is among other fans of the show, it is the same complaint over and over.
The BLM/ACAB non-sense is non-stop with this show,
They can have a special episode or two devoted to this non-sense and move on.
So the point of my post was to enlighten you about the industry situation, which you are either ignoring or in denial about, and attempt to politely inform you that the wall you are beating your head against is harder than your skull, and you are not going to break it.

I will add that your comment that to you last summer was "a lifetime ago" is pretty much exactly why they are doing this thing you hate so much. They don't want people to put this in their rear-view mirror.
Old 02-28-21, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry for the mistag, and thank you for the clarification. I hadn’t seen the other post/quote.
I guess thanks for sort of retracting calling me a racist?
Old 02-28-21, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess thanks for sort of retracting calling me a racist?
Yes, I apologized. And to clarify, I said your post (without the aforementioned context) seemed uncalled for if your statement was because of the actors race.

If it was, and you’ve already clarified it wasn’t, I think it would make your post racist; but even that’s a long way from me remotely labelling you a racist.
Old 02-28-21, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I apologized. And to clarify, I said your post (without the aforementioned context) seemed uncalled for if your statement was because of the actors race.

If it was, and you’ve already clarified it wasn’t, I think it would make your post racist; but even that’s a long way from me remotely labelling you a racist.
Personally, I recoil from claims that any thinking that takes a person race into consideration is racist thinking.
Old 03-01-21, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh that’s right, you threw in a tepid “sorry” right before suggesting a moderator should get involved. Typical these days. Maybe do some more reading before throwing out unfounded accusations?
Old 03-01-21, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Well, that....was an episode.

The show is off for the next month after tonight. Weird way to go on a break.
Old 03-01-21, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just shows my DVR is smart. The Rookie is tagged to record new episodes and it didn't record this one. I did watch it and the DVR was right, I should have saved myself that hour from a tepid show.
Old 03-01-21, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2 different worlds. I thought that was great. Really funny. Best episode since they came back.
Old 03-01-21, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

The Rookie is most certainly a different show this season. That's due to them focusing more on serious issues. It is getting a bit much though. Ratings are lower this year than last as well, so it seems that fans are not liking the changes.
Old 03-01-21, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Interesting episode. Not great not terrible. I applaud them taking a chance on something new though.
Old 03-01-21, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,040 Likes on 638 Posts

I didn't mind the documentary-style concept of this episode, but I thought the execution was really lacking. The jokes fell flat and the theme wasn't used in any kind of original or clever way.
Old 03-02-21, 12:34 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

That episode just seemed off. I didn’t really find any of it funny, just strange.
Old 03-04-21, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I noticed in the credits Alex Winter was listed. I believe he was the filmmaker, so we only heard his voice.

I actually think the best part of the episode was Jackson’s ex. I don’t know if they intentionally showed these in a specific order, but there was a throwaway reference in the last episode. I assumed that was that, so it was a surprise (and funny) when they gave such a detailed explanation here.
The following users liked this post:
Noonan (03-04-21)
Old 03-04-21, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 985 Likes on 714 Posts

I actually think the best part of the episode was Jackson’s ex. I don’t know if they intentionally showed these in a specific order, but there was a throwaway reference in the last episode. I assumed that was that, so it was a surprise (and funny) when they gave such a detailed explanation here.
Yes! Him swapping to Australian accent "Skipper" was hilarious. As well as West's reactions to being asked about him.
Old 03-04-21, 08:32 PM
Suspended

I noticed in the credits Alex Winter was listed. I believe he was the filmmaker, so we only heard his voice.

Its almost like they aired the episodes out of order since the BF thing came up last week.

It’s all good since he’s gonna hook up with the cowboy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.