TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Rookie (ABC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 1/3/21

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-21, 10:11 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Re: The Rookie (ABC) -- Season 3 Thread -- Premieres 1/3/21

Originally Posted by Deftones
Which part? My wife is getting pissed also about some themes shows are now incorporating. I am like shoes about cops should have this stuff because it is real life.
But The Rookie has never taken itself all that seriously. This last episode is beating us over the head with social issues the show never really cared about before.
Old 01-13-21, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Yes. Obviously that is a reflection of what is going on. SWAT is exactly the same way.
Old 01-13-21, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought this episode was good and a return to form of regular non-special Rookie plots, while continuing the ramifications of Nolan’s actions.

The show runners have already said they’re working to reflect how they can address the events from the summer. I will say pieces feel a bit ham fisted, but I don’t think that negates the intent.

Also, Angela isn’t going to be able to hide her pregnancy for long. It’s very obvious. Plus it’s not like she’s in an entirely new location with people who have never seen her before.
Old 01-13-21, 12:28 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

This whole season will be BLM and "woke" crap.

Old 01-13-21, 12:58 PM
Banned

I don't understand how they can take on the BLM stuff and ignore COVID? Either the show is based in reality or it's not.
Old 01-13-21, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,115 Likes on 808 Posts

The whole point of the Defund The Police movement, which is an outgrowth of Black Lives Matter, is that we shouldn't be demanding the police act as social workers. So how does The Rookie's new extreme wokeness align with the idea that police officers should be offering free tutoring services instead of fighting crime?
Old 01-13-21, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric F
I don't understand how they can take on the BLM stuff and ignore COVID? Either the show is based in reality or it's not.
What would be the point of putting all the characters in face masks just to signal that COVID is a reality in this fictional world? It would muffle the dialogue and fuck up the acting. If I want to see people in face masks, I can turn on the news pr go to the grocery store.
Old 01-13-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

I had caught wind up of the disappointment with this episode before I watched it, but I didn't think it was too bad. That said, if every episode has this kind of tone this season I will tap out. They are not playing to their strengths.
Old 01-13-21, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
What would be the point of putting all the characters in face masks just to signal that COVID is a reality in this fictional world? It would muffle the dialogue and fuck up the acting. If I want to see people in face masks, I can turn on the news pr go to the grocery store.
My point is that all these events came to a head during COVID- it's tied up with it. If they're going to acknowledge one they should at least acknowledge the other. They could easily do something like The Good Doctor where they do just that, but set it in somewhere in the near future where we're past COVID.
Old 01-13-21, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My point is that all these events came to a head during COVID- it's tied up with it. If they're going to acknowledge one they should at least acknowledge the other. They could easily do something like The Good Doctor where they do just that, but set it in somewhere in the near future where we're past COVID.
Acknowledging BLM is part of an industry-wide initiative to alter the manner in which law enforcement is portrayed, especially when portraying interactions between the police and minorities.

BLM --or at least a changed perspective on American policing-- is inextricably linked to a TV show about the police, COVID isn't.

I don't watch the The Good Doctor, but it makes perfect sense that a medical show could not ignore COVID, just like a medical show can't pretend it exists in a fictional world where cancer has been cured.
Old 01-13-21, 05:45 PM
Suspended

‘COVID hasn’t happened in the show, yet. It’s been only a few days (week?) since the season 2 finale.

The very woke showrunner said the BLM will be present the entire. Fucking. Season. We already witnessed someone smashing a car window and stealing a backpack and somehow it’s OK now.

I really like THE ROOKIE, but damn, this will get old real fast.
Old 01-13-21, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Acknowledging BLM is part of an industry-wide initiative to alter the manner in which law enforcement is portrayed, especially when portraying interactions between the police and minorities.

BLM --or at least a changed perspective on American policing-- is inextricably linked to a TV show about the police, COVID isn't.

I don't watch the The Good Doctor, but it makes perfect sense that a medical show could not ignore COVID, just like a medical show can't pretend it exists in a fictional world where cancer has been cured.
Chuck Lorre shows are ignoring COVID. Bob and B Positive both take place at some sort of ‘medical’ setting and neither will address it. The Resident skipped past it in one episode, TGD had two.
Old 01-13-21, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,040 Likes on 638 Posts

The 'FBI' shows kind of acknowledged COVID by having the characters wear masks and stand 6 feet apart in a few scenes, but then in other scenes they aren't wearing masks or social distancing. So they've been inconsistent, but it's fine--I don't want to watch a tv show where everyone is masked up the whole time.
Old 01-13-21, 06:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
The 'FBI' shows kind of acknowledged COVID by having the characters wear masks and stand 6 feet apart in a few scenes, but then in other scenes they aren't wearing masks or social distancing. So they've been inconsistent, but it's fine--I don't want to watch a tv show where everyone is masked up the whole time.
Go watch last weeks SVU. They randomly decide to wear masks in some scenes and not in others. Makes no sense
Old 01-13-21, 07:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Go watch last weeks SVU. They randomly decide to wear masks in some scenes and not in others. Makes no sense
They're all like that this season, pisses me off. It's pretty arbitrary. I keep thinking, "Put your damn mask back on!".
Old 01-13-21, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, it's horrible when TV shows tackle social issues. I really liked All in the Family until it became all "woke".
The Rookie was so much better when it was straight copaganda
Old 01-13-21, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chuck Lorre shows are ignoring COVID. Bob and B Positive both take place at some sort of ‘medical’ setting and neither will address it. The Resident skipped past it in one episode, TGD had two.
Chuck Lorre makes sitcoms, not medical dramas.
The Resident did not ignore COVID. It did a whole episode about it.
The Good Doctor did not ignore COVID. They even had the star break the fourth wall and address the audience directly about the virus.
Old 01-14-21, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by professor chaos
Man, it's horrible when TV shows tackle social issues. I really liked All in the Family until it became all "woke".
The Rookie was so much better when it was straight copaganda
The Rookie was pretty much a straight dramedy, it wasn't inherently political or took on social issues. All in the Family always was.
Old 01-18-21, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EW.com has an interview with Titus Makin who plays West. Here are some of his comments on the new direction for The Rookie. Or maybe they should call it The Woke-ie.
"A lot of people are finding a voice, and I found that for myself, where I was like, 'Oh wow, I've been complacent,'" Makin tells EW. "I woke up one morning and I was watching the news, and I was like, 'I can't do this. I can't go play a cop on a show and not talk about the fact that I'm a Black cop.' My character hadn't addressed any of that."

He adds, "I had that conversation with Alexi [Hawley], our showrunner, and he was extremely gracious and he totally understood everything I was saying. I did come to that point where I was like, 'If you want to write me out, I politely receive that. I would rather be written out than ignore the reality and not be able to tell the story.'"

But Hawley and his team weren't interested in ignoring that reality and were intentional about addressing Makin's concerns. The result, or at least its beginnings, came in Sunday's episode, "La Fiera."
TITUS MAKIN: It was a bit of a bigger situation than I was able to fully describe at that time. Because it starts back for me, even just playing a cop in the first place, which was a hurdle [with] where I'm from and how I viewed the cops growing up. To play one, I already was wrestling with, "Oh man, people are gonna think I'm Team Cops." And the reality was I was struggling.
What the show does well in general, and what they are leaning more towards with this specific situation, is the aspirational aspect of the show. We're trying to lean everybody in the direction of what policing should look like and what it could look like and what it does look like for some, but trying to push them to a new way of policing. A better way of policing. So we really get to see this unravel within the precinct, within police policing each other. Instead of the public response, we get to see what happens within the police station.
Old 01-18-21, 05:41 PM
Suspended

Chuck Lorre makes sitcoms, not medical dramas.
The Resident did not ignore COVID. It did a whole episode about it.
The Good Doctor did not ignore COVID. They even had the star break the fourth wall and address the audience directly about the virus.
Both Lorre shows have people in a medical facility - either a hospital or dialysis. The Connors is not a medical drama and they included (and still include) COVID as do other sitcoms - as do other non-medical dramas.

I didn't say Good Doctor/Resident did not include COVID. Simply saying they did - and moved past it very fast (some lingering affects, but its not like Grey's which has everyone still wearing masks)
Old 01-18-21, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brandon Routh was so goofy and innocent and likeable as 'Ray' in Legends of Tomorrow that I have a little cognitive dissonance watching him play a racist asshole here.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (01-18-21)
Old 01-18-21, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also want to note: At the beginning of season 2 I was disappointed to learn that Nolan's TO (Talia) was being replaced by another character, but I have to say that I have grown to really like Nyla and I think it was a net positive change.
Old 01-18-21, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both Lorre shows have people in a medical facility - either a hospital or dialysis. The Connors is not a medical drama and they included (and still include) COVID as do other sitcoms - as do other non-medical dramas.

I didn't say Good Doctor/Resident did not include COVID. Simply saying they did - and moved past it very fast (some lingering affects, but its not like Grey's which has everyone still wearing masks)
I'm not certain what point you are trying to make except announcing your confusion about the fact that the producers of different shows (and different kinds of shows) feel different obligations about how the world of their show aligns with reality.

And since this is a thread about a cop show, it should be readily apparent by now that the producers of The Rookie feel an obligation to not only address the changes that have happened in 2020 regarding how law enforcement is viewed, but to promote change in how law enforcement is done in reality.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (01-18-21)
Old 01-18-21, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Brandon Routh was so goofy and innocent and likeable as 'Ray' in Legends of Tomorrow that I have a little cognitive dissonance watching him play a racist asshole here.
The guy was Superman, for fuck's sake!
Old 01-18-21, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Pretty sure the episode from this week won’t be positively reviewed here given recent comments.

Seems like there could have been a whole lot more Bplot with Nolan’s mom.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.