Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Better Call Saul (S5E10) -- Season Finale -- "Something Unforgivable" -- 4/20/20

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Better Call Saul (S5E10) -- Season Finale -- "Something Unforgivable" -- 4/20/20

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-20, 06:35 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E10) -- Season Finale -- "Something Unforgivable" -- 4/20/20

Originally Posted by B5Erik
What I'm saying is that they could have come up with this season and had it turn out just as good if they had self-imposed a 12 month deadline. That would have given them twice as long as network shows have to do twice as many episodes.

Now, could they have done as well in 5 months, like network shows have? Maybe, maybe not, but there is no way you can tell me they spent as much time per day on this thing as network show writers and producers do.
And what I'm saying is your deadline point is moot. They couldn't have gone into filming even if the whole season was written because it had to with an actor issue, not writing and production. The show's premiere dates were on a generally consistent basis the first three years. The last two were longer because of factors that had nothing do with a lazy work ethic.
Old 04-21-20, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Re: Better Call Saul (S5E10) -- Season Finale -- "Something Unforgivable" -- 4/20/20

Originally Posted by dex14
And what I'm saying is your deadline point is moot. They couldn't have gone into filming even if the whole season was written because it had to with an actor issue, not writing and production. The show's premiere dates were on a generally consistent basis the first three years. The last two were longer because of factors that had nothing do with a lazy work ethic.
You're telling me they had to wait six months to a year for an actor? I don't think so. Maybe 2 or 3 months. (And who was it who wasn't available? Don't they have their actors under contract, giving them priority?)

And the point isn't moot, apparently, because the ratings are not what I'm sure AMC hoped for. Why? Well, when you go a year and a half between seasons you lose ratings momentum. The excitement wears off. The ratings are good, but not as good as they should be for this show. The longer the break, the harder it is to get the viewers back on board, and the harder it is to win over new viewers.

I remember reading interviews with the producers after the last season, and their attitude was, "What, me worry?" At least when it came to getting the show back on the air in a reasonable amount of time. They made it clear that they weren't going to rush anything. That doesn't exactly sound like a bunch of people working their asses off to get something done. They took their time. They worked at a relaxed pace - and that's fine up to a point.

But I don't think this season was as good as the previous seasons, so that extra time didn't make the show any better.
Old 04-21-20, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Yes, I can tell you for the third time, the year and half gap didn’t have to do with the production taking their sweet time.

Do shows on cable have a more lenience? Yes. And they are usually better for it.
I would think that one factor in "the gap" would also be that it's a series on cable, and since the cable networks don't have a lot of original programming, they need to spread the handful of original programming that they have around the calendar in a way that network tv doesn't. There are all kinds of considerations at play here... scheduling it around Walking Dead, having a suitable series to show after it (since BCS is an established series, they'll want the slot following it to have a new series that the audience might be interested in).

And, on top of that, BCS isn't a "case of the week" type of show like Law and Order where they can have a bunch of writers cranking out episodes independently of each other. Each season is, essentially, one long story.

And, of course, the production values are feature-film quality (or even above that in some cases) and that's going to take time to do all of the locations shoots, setting up the complicated camera work, all of the post-production work, etc. This isn't hacked out like some 1970s sitcom, it's meticulously made. And then they probably have to accommodate actors' schedules; Esposito alone is an in-demand actor.
Old 04-21-20, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I would think that one factor in "the gap" would also be that it's a series on cable, and since the cable networks don't have a lot of original programming, they need to spread the handful of original programming that they have around the calendar in a way that network tv doesn't. There are all kinds of considerations at play here... scheduling it around Walking Dead, having a suitable series to show after it (since BCS is an established series, they'll want the slot following it to have a new series that the audience might be interested in).

And, on top of that, BCS isn't a "case of the week" type of show like Law and Order where they can have a bunch of writers cranking out episodes independently of each other. Each season is, essentially, one long story.

And, of course, the production values are feature-film quality (or even above that in some cases) and that's going to take time to do all of the locations shoots, setting up the complicated camera work, all of the post-production work, etc. This isn't hacked out like some 1970s sitcom, it's meticulously made. And then they probably have to accommodate actors' schedules; Esposito alone is an in-demand actor.
Yup. They wrapped filming in September. Could they have maybe premiered late-2019 while still doing post on the later episodes? Sure, but that would be dumb with all the holidays. Better to just wait a few more
months.

You mentioned Esposito, he could’ve been the talent issue. He did 10 episodes of that Godfather of Harlem show and that shot fall 2018. Or, it could’ve just been a personal issue with someone. I said actor in my last post, but the quote was “talent needs”. Could’ve been in regards to creators, I guess.

Last edited by dex14; 04-21-20 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-21-20, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Thinking about Nacho's actions at the end. Once Lalo still being up meant the hit wasn't going to go according to plan, Nacho then should've done nothing given he had no "Abort" option (a surprising screw-up by Gus). He should've just sat there, drinking with Lalo until the hit team either improvised a way in (in which he could've played innocent) or canceled their hit and left.
Nacho had the right idea for a second when he went inside to get the drinks and briefly grabbed the knife. He should've just went back to Lalo with the drinks and then pulled the knife out from behind and slit his throat. It was the simplest solution.
Old 04-21-20, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
So... Babylon 5. A 5 year, multi-part story written mostly by one guy (JMS), who wrote about 90 of the show's 110 episodes. He cranked out those scripts for each season in about 5 months. High quality, first rate scripts with some amazing stories and dialogue, and with some phenomenal character arcs.

I'm sorry if I'm not impressed with 10 episodes done in 18 months. Maybe I'm just getting old and remember how it used to be and prefer that.

And the location shooting and whatnot for that show isn't as hard as you make it out to be. They shoot in and around Albequerque. They're not going out of state. They've got a bunch of local spots where they do the shooting. It's not THAT hard. If it were a 20 episode season with a limited writing staff, extensive location shooting, and sketchy actor availability I might be with you. But 10 episodes?

Again, this season was very, very good - but not as good as the previous seasons, and the ratings have just been good. Not as good as they should be. The long wait had to play a role there. Out of sight, out of mind. Excitement diminishes over time.
Old 04-21-20, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, I don't think the show has ever been quite the same since they killed Chuck.

He was the perfect foil for Jimmy. Now Jimmy's kind of his own enemy.

Don't get me wrong, I still love BCS. I like it more than BB. But this season just seemed to be lacking something that the previous seasons had. I just can't put my finger on what that is.
Old 04-21-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Fantastic finale. Really intrigued how they tie up all the story lines in the final season. The fates of Lalo, Nacho, and Kim have me on the edge of my seat.

Funny coincidence, but the actor who plays Lalo is also in Sense8 (it's a minor role though), which I've been watching for the first time. Looks just like his character in BCS too. Hope to see more of this actor, he's great.
Old 04-21-20, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Honestly, I don't think the show has ever been quite the same since they killed Chuck.

He was the perfect foil for Jimmy. Now Jimmy's kind of his own enemy.
I was starting to get annoyed/bored with Chuck as he served his limited purpose and anything more would've been repetitive. In fact, he was probably kept around a season too long as it was. Glad they moved on from him - he was starting to drag the show down.
The following 2 users liked this post by Coral:
BuckNaked2k (04-22-20), Hubbub (04-22-20)
Old 04-21-20, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral
I was starting to get annoyed/bored with Chuck as he served his limited purpose and anything more would've been repetitive. In fact, he was probably kept around a season too long as it was. Glad they moved on from him - he was starting to drag the show down.
They could easily have let his character grow and found different things to do with him before killing him off (or otherwise writing him off the show).

He was, in one respect, the Frank Burns of the show. He never got to grow much. Yeah, he started to overcome his faux problem with electrical fields (in his head), but he never grew otherwise. He was still the same guy. But for those early seasons he was great, they just ran into a situation where he either had to grow as a character, or be written off in some way.

This season just felt off. They never really replaced Chuck, and whether or not you thought he had run his course, they didn't adequately replace him on the show with a foil for Jimmy. Jimmy was his own enemy, and that changed the dynamic of the show. Maybe you like that better (I'm sure some people do). I know Jimmy has to self destruct and become the slimeball shyster lawyer from Breaking Bad, but this season felt more like a BB knock off than it's own thing (which it had felt like up to this point).

Like I said, though, I still love the show and I can't wait for the next (and final) season.
Old 04-21-20, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657

Funny coincidence, but the actor who plays Lalo is also in Sense8 (it's a minor role though), which I've been watching for the first time. Looks just like his character in BCS too. Hope to see more of this actor, he's great.
Here he is wrapped up in bubble wrap and rolling down the stairs in a Mexican Jackass show

Old 04-22-20, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

This season seemed to fly by but I ended up liking Lalo as much, if not more than Nacho & was actually rooting for him during this episode.
Old 04-22-20, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Rhea Seehorn is my favorite actress right now, cannot wait to see her in something else to see if it carries over, in this show she is phenomenal
Old 04-22-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

They put out this season wrap-up video with a little looking ahead to next season in it:

Vince Gilligan "I'm worried about Nacho."

Peter Gould "And also what's going to happen when Gus and Mike find out that Lalo is on his way back to Albuquerque?"

So Lalo won't be just staying in Mexico and sending men back to deal with Gus, he's coming back himself to deal with things. And which means Saul Goldman will still be his lawyer now that he won't be a bail jumper.

Old 04-22-20, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
From the Alan Sepinwall interview with Gould and Gilligan

5 Burning Questions About the ‘Better Call Saul’ Season 5 Finale — Answered

Do Gilligan and Gould know how the series ends?
The co-creators famously don’t plan very far ahead with their storytelling. “We see about three inches down the road at any particular moment,” Gould likes to say. When, for instance, they open a season with Jimmy’s post-Breaking Bad persona, Gene from Cinnabon, in trouble, they joke that figuring out what happens next is something someone else will have to deal with the following year. As Gilligan puts it, “That’s a future Peter problem!”

But while writing Season Five, Gould says, “The fog started to clear slightly about where we were going with all of this. So we started to think about how this all relates to where we’re going. Having said that, I don’t want to say we’ve got it all figured out. I’m very happy to have Vince in the writers room this season, even though we’re doing it remotely, because we’re getting to finish this thing that we started together. But we’re deep in the struggle. Even though we have ideas about where we’re going, we’re always ready to jettison them.”

When it came time to write the Season Five finale, Gould realized that they hadn’t gotten around to a lot of story ideas they had hoped to include. This happens each season, and Gould always reassures himself by saying that they’ll get to them eventually. But for next season, “We have these 13 episodes, and that’s it. There’s no ‘eventually’ anymore.”
I read this the other night. Glad to hear Vince is coming back to the writer’s room.
Old 04-22-20, 08:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

About how long is BCS in prelude to BB?
Old 04-22-20, 08:05 PM

It started 6 years before and is now currently 4 years before in Season 5. The flashforwards are 5 years after.
Old 04-22-20, 08:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Yeah, I got the forwards, but wasn’t sure how far back and figured it caught up a little. Thanks.
Old 04-22-20, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

It started 6 years before and is now currently 4 years before in Season 5. The flashforwards are 5 years after.
It’s going to take some serious time jumps if it is actually going to get anywhere near the BB timeline. Four years is a lot of ground to cover in 13 episodes. Considering there will likely be some Gene story (post BB) it’s even less than that. So any assumptions along the lines of “Saul wouldn’t act like XYZ in BB if XYZ has just happened” probably don’t mean much.

I’ve started thinking maybe Gene has decided to go to Kim (wherever that is) when he announces he will handle “it” himself. Who else would he go to that is a known character from the BCS/BB world in his timeline? I suppose he could mean literally handle it all by himself. But that seems unlikely.
Old 04-22-20, 08:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure its 4 years from S1 of Breaking Bad? Seems more like 4 weeks.
Old 04-22-20, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
Are you sure its 4 years from S1 of Breaking Bad? Seems more like 4 weeks as once Saul learns Lalo survived the attack his comments to Walt/Jesse about Lalo and Ignacio make sense.
https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/..._Saul_Timeline

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/better-...explained/?amp
Old 04-22-20, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Breaking Bad started in 2008. I thought we saw a document in BCS that said 2005. Either way, that's a lot of time to cover in one season.
Old 04-22-20, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
It’s going to take some serious time jumps if it is actually going to get anywhere near the BB timeline. Four years is a lot of ground to cover in 13 episodes. Considering there will likely be some Gene story (post BB) it’s even less than that. So any assumptions along the lines of “Saul wouldn’t act like XYZ in BB if XYZ has just happened” probably don’t mean much.

I’ve started thinking maybe Gene has decided to go to Kim (wherever that is) when he announces he will handle “it” himself. Who else would he go to that is a known character from the BCS/BB world in his timeline? I suppose he could mean literally handle it all by himself. But that seems unlikely.
From last week's Sepinwall recap :

Lalo tells Hector that Tuco will be a free man again in 11 months. Tuco’s first appearance on Breaking Bad doesn’t say how long it’s been since he got out of prison (which is where Skinny Pete met him), but it’s June 2004 on Saul right now, and Breaking Bad starts in September 2008. So either Tuco was out much longer than it seemed in “Crazy Handful of Nothin'” (where, from Jesse’s perspective, he has only just taken over distribution from the late Krazy-8), or he may have some additional incarceration in his future. But Lalo’s suggestion that someone needs to keep an eye on Tuco provides us with a possible explanation for why Hector is living in squalor with Tuco circa BB Season Two rather than staying in the nursing home. Depending on what happens to Nacho, Hector may be the only trusted person left in the crew by the time Tuco gets paroled.
Old 04-22-20, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I think I read (maybe saw myself) their marriage license said 2004. BB starts out in September 2008
Old 04-22-20, 09:06 PM

The marriage certificate was May 2004.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.