DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Better Call Saul (S5E10) -- Season Finale -- "Something Unforgivable" -- 4/20/20 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650334-better-call-saul-s5e10-season-finale-something-unforgivable-4-20-20-a.html)

dex14 04-20-20 06:34 AM

Better Call Saul (S5E10) -- Season Finale -- "Something Unforgivable" -- 4/20/20

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...d46ee2675d.jpg

Something Unforgivable

Jimmy and Kim make a sideways move that takes a serious turn. Nacho gets closer to the cartel.
This will return for a 13 episode 6th and final season. It most likely will be a while before it comes back. Hopefully, they don't split that season up into two batches.

Osiris3657 04-20-20 08:46 AM

Re: Better Call Saul (S5E10) -- Season Finale -- "Something Unforgivable" -- 4/20/20

I would be shocked if they didn't split it. AMC always milks their highest rated shows. And yes, I don't expect this back until early 2022.

dhmac 04-20-20 09:30 AM

Re: Better Call Saul (S5E10) -- Season Finale -- "Something Unforgivable" -- 4/20/20

I predict we get the roughly 14-to-18 month long breaks between seasons (plus any additional Coronavirus caused delays) that we've been getting ever since Season 2. (The break between Seasons 1 and 2 was only time the break from season premiere-to-premiere was just 12 months). But I do think they'll do the "Breaking Bad" final season thing and split the 6th season into 2 years, so Season 6A (probably 7 episodes) in Fall 2021, and then Season 6B (the remaining episodes) in Fall 2022 or early 2023

Thinking about how long this show has been on now - just over 5 years - it's surprising how much of this show sticks strongly in the mind despite the long gaps between seasons. I was recently thinking about how good Chuck's final episode "Lantern" was and, even though I haven't gone back to see the episode again since it aired, it dawned on me that it's been nearly 3 years since that episode came out. There's stuff I've seen long after that I've mostly forgotten, but this show is so compelling that most of it doesn't fade from my mind.

Decker 04-20-20 09:45 AM

I had never thought about splitting S6 into two. You are right, that is probably what will happen (though the show runners have never mentioned that plan in their podcast). Bummer, but at least it gives them two additional cracks at the Emmys,

rennervision 04-20-20 10:42 PM

Curious how the Lalo story is going to wrap up if he's alive during BB. Is there any chance he'll show up in the Gene timeline? (Because I'm going to need closure!)

MLBFan24 04-20-20 11:06 PM

Ouch! Getting burned with oil suuuuucks! Oil burned half my arm a few years ago.

good episode, looking forward to the final season.

BuckNaked2k 04-20-20 11:10 PM

I must admit, I was underwhelmed. The whole thing was basically a big tease for the final season.

It seems like the writers are really fixated on Howard! I mean, isn't it time to sunset the Howard character and transition to the BB world? While Howard may not be entirely likable, I have never found him loathsome. What Saul & Kim are cooking up makes him sound like he's in the cartel or something. Anyway, we'll see what happens in 2022.

windom 04-21-20 12:05 AM

Hasn't there always been a Gene scene in the previous season finales?

ben12 04-21-20 12:24 AM

I almost wonder if we just witnessed a revelation about Kim that's analogous to the Walter revelation at about this same point in BB, where you realize he was always evil. That last conversation between her and Jimmy. It's like she's way more of an evil bitch than Saul could ever hope to be, and that scares him a bit. We've all been waiting to see how Jimmy fucks this up and causes Kim to exit his life or his town or whatever. But y'know how Kim was complaining that people aren't treating her like she's her own person? That was the writers telling us that Kim can blow up her own life all on her own thank-you-very-much.

bunkaroo 04-21-20 12:46 AM

Yeah I’m starting to think Kim is indeed alive during BB but we don’t see her because she’s in prison.

andicus 04-21-20 01:09 AM

I thought it was an excellent episode. Sure, we didn't get resolution on Lalo, but it's a great cliffhanger.

I've always assumed S6 would be split, as much as I wish it wasn't. I really hope we don't have to wait until 2022 for part 1, though.

Regarding Kim, I'm not sure if she scared Jimmy, or made him feel guilty that he's made her what she seems to be becoming.

Decker 04-21-20 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by ben12 (Post 13727453)
I almost wonder if we just witnessed a revelation about Kim that's analogous to the Walter revelation at about this same point in BB, where you realize he was always evil. That last conversation between her and Jimmy. It's like she's way more of an evil bitch than Saul could ever hope to be, and that scares him a bit. We've all been waiting to see how Jimmy fucks this up and causes Kim to exit his life or his town or whatever. But y'know how Kim was complaining that people aren't treating her like she's her own person? That was the writers telling us that Kim can blow up her own life all on her own thank-you-very-much.

Alan Sepinwall is on the same page as you :

Or maybe it’s something we’ve seen elsewhere in this universe, from the main character on the show that introduced Saul Goodman.

Think about what we know and have seen of Kim Wexler. She built herself a life and career out of nothing. She’s convincing as she moves through the world of Howard Hamlin and Kevin Wachtell, but she’s always had to conceal a degree of resentment of these rich and powerful men to whom good things seem to come so easily. She is better than her peers at almost any task to which she sets her mind. We saw with the stunt that kept Huell out of prison that Kim can be a more clever con artist than Jimmy. In verbally dismantling Lalo, she seemed like she might be a better Friend of the Cartel than Jimmy, too. And in the wake of an experience that could very well have killed her, but didn’t, Kim finds herself contemplating doing something genuinely evil, even as she tells herself and her spouse that she would be doing it for a fundamentally good reason.

Sound like anyone we know who knocks?

Spiderbite 04-21-20 08:30 AM

Anyone know if Steven Bauer ("Don Eladio") is seriously ill?

He looked liked he had lost a ton of weight and seemed to be walking very feebly when he did have to move. Either that or he went on a hell of a diet and aged a bunch since we last saw him.

dex14 04-21-20 08:43 AM

He was in rehab a few years ago for drinking. He lost a ton of weight. He also had a girlfriend who is like 40 younger than him. Maybe she just drained him.

Timber 04-21-20 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite (Post 13727509)
Anyone know if Steven Bauer ("Don Eladio") is seriously ill?

He looked liked he had lost a ton of weight and seemed to be walking very feebly when he did have to move. Either that or he went on a hell of a diet and aged a bunch since we last saw him.

Things that scare me about such a long wait until the last season. These guys aren't getting any younger.

I love this show so much. Did we just find out that Kim is the "bad guy" for the series?

Spiderbite 04-21-20 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 13727512)
Things that scare me about such a long wait until the last season. These guys aren't getting any younger.

Same here. I know it is just a TV show in the great scheme of things but damn would it suck to lose one or two major or even minor players on this show before it wraps up.

The loss of Robert Forster was sad enough!

Coral 04-21-20 09:08 AM

I think Kim had more of an issue with pride which resulted in being vengeful - more than it's her being evil.
Howard said that Chuck was right about Jimmy - basically telling Kim to her face how bad Jimmy is for her. She wants payback on Howard for making her face that truth.

I thought the guys who were going to take Lalo out were top-notch professionals. They didn't look all that impressive to me.

Ironic that Nacho used the frying pan stunt to get away from Lalo and to get the attack underway, but that same frying pan is what Lalo used to defend himself from certain death - and lead him to surviving the whole thing.

Decker 04-21-20 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 13727512)

According to the interview that Sepinwall did with Gould and Gilligan, they had just started convening the writers to start writing Season 6 when the Shelter in Place order was issued. That shouldn't delay things much because can they still collaborate by Zoom. If they can start shooting in the Fall, they aim to be back for the final season by Autumn 2021. Who knows if they can. No mention of a split season at all. If they do make that Fall 2021 target, I doubt they would split the season because it would have to be a full year between the two parts in order to get two Emmy eligibility windows. If they, as we here expect, drop the Premier in early 2022, I could see a split season with 7 episodes in the Spring and 6 in the Fall. That would give them two Emmy windows. Breaking Bad didn't win Best Drama Series until its final season, then it won it TWICE. But it was always a favorite in the acting categories. BCS hasn't won a single Emmy yet. Hopefully that will change this September.

DthRdrX 04-21-20 10:07 AM

I'm curious how they go about the Lalo story now given the cartel in BB didn't seem to see Gus coming at them, yet look at what has happened at Lalo's compound. Maybe the other cartel guy will get blamed that was obviously jealous of Lalo? It was his team that tried to kill Jimmy and recover the money on the road.

dhmac 04-21-20 10:10 AM

I was expecting a finale that would wrap something up, but that mostly was all setup for the final season.

And the plan to kill Lalo seemed really stupid. Poorly planned and, on top of that, Gus's "best men" really sucked.

Plus Lalo now knows Nacho betrayed him, so just a massive screwup all around for Gus.

dhmac 04-21-20 10:26 AM

Looking at the breaks from premiere-to-premiere between previous seasons, including before Season 1...

Breaking Bad Season 5B -> Premiered August 2013
(18 month break)
BCS Season 1 -> Premiered February 2015
(12 month break)
BCS Season 2 -> Premiered February 2016
(14 month break)
BCS Season 3 -> Premiered April 2017
(16 month break)
BCS Season 4 -> Premiered August 2018
(18 month break)
BCS Season 5 -> Premiered February 2020

I may be wrong, but I can't see them making us wait until early 2022 - 2 whole years! - for the final season to start, especially after such a cliffhanger finale for this season. The longest break between BCS seasons was 18 months and the length of that was partially due to the showmakers making the Breaking Bad movie "El Camino" during that break. Even with the delays caused by the Coronavirus quarantine, I still think the break until next season will be either 18 or 19 months, so I predict Season 6 will premiere around September 2021.

B5Erik 04-21-20 10:49 AM

Chiming in on the timing of the next/final season...

You know, it used to be shows only had a 5 or 6 month break from the airing of the last episode of a season to the next season's premiere. And that's with shows that usually had 22-23 episodes per season.

There's no legitimate reason why they can't get a 13 episode season ready to go in 12 months, let alone 18. OK, Coronavirus, shutdown, lockdown, blah, blah, blah. OK. 18 months.

But no way do they need 2 YEARS to get the next season on the air. The only reason why it's taken so long between seasons for BCS is because AMC has given them the luxury of not cracking the whip and demanding the show for a certain date. When forced to do it producers and writers were able to come up with much longer seasons much more quickly. And there was a lot of quality TV back then, too. It's just a matter of looking at it like a job, rather than a hobby that pays. The people running BCS have taken as long as they have between seasons because they're working when they want to, on their own schedule, when they feel like it, rather than setting up a schedule to do it like an actual job where you get up every day and go to work (the way producers and writers did it for decades).

The final season will be on by October, 2021. And it will be great.

dhmac 04-21-20 11:05 AM

Thinking about it, was Gus's plan to kill Lalo rushed? Remember that Nacho initially was just dropping Lalo off at the meeting point at the well. Only Lalo then changed plans at the last moment and had Nacho drive all the way to Mexico. So Nacho wasn't going to even be there to open the gates until Lalo changed plans. That makes it seem like Gus threw together the plan to kill him in just one day, once he knew Nacho would be there.

dhmac 04-21-20 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 13727460)
Yeah I’m starting to think Kim is indeed alive during BB but we don’t see her because she’s in prison.

I don't think Kim will be in prison, but all that stuff she was talking about doing to Howard (him going down in utter disgrace with a ruined reputation) is instead going to happen to her.

Decker 04-21-20 11:40 AM

Do you guys feel that turn by Kim was set up well enough? I know they've played up her enjoyment of the con with Jimmy (never more blatantly than grabbing the tequila stopper out of her drawer last week). But this, wanting to go way farther than Jimmy ever even considered? It just doesn't really sit well with me. Though then ends-justifying-the-means part of her motivation was at least well explained.