Search this Thread

Old 12-09-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Crisis on Infinite Earths (The CW) -- 5 part crossover event

Originally Posted by DWilson
That was Superman III, by the way.
Fixed!
Guess I wasn't lying when I said I wasn't up on my lore!
Old 12-09-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ben12
Any significance to the gas attack? I'm not totally up on my Christopher Reeves Superman lore.
The gas attack is referencing the 1996 comic Kingdom Come.

Old 12-10-19, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

He seemed to be the future version of Superman Returns that became Kingdom Come Superman.
Old 12-10-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Is there a list of the Earth numbers and why they are each specific number.

Some are obvious but others not so much.
Earth-99 for example.
Old 12-10-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The Welling and Durance "cameo" was fine. I wasn't expecting more since it was reported that he only filmed for 1 day. It was a nice nod to Smallville and was basically a little easter egg to the fans. I when he decked Cryer’s Luthor. 2 of the writers of this episode worked on Smallville.

Wasn't expecting Conroy's Bruce Wayne to be dark and basically evil.

Loved Routh getting back into Clark Kent and Superman. He really felt like he was the character from the 2006 movie again. His version of Supes really makes Hoechlin's version seem like a wimp. There is a lot of positive feedback online about Routh playing Superman again.

I admit, the Lazarus pit being used to bring back Ollie was the last thing that crossed my mind. Funny seeing Jonah Hex again.

The hour went by really fast. I feel like they have a lot to get through on part 3 tomorrow until the 1 month break.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-10-19 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Oh shit. Just finished Black Lightning and tonight's episode was indeed part of the Crossover. Jefferson's entire family was taken out by the Anti matter storm as the cliffhanger. But he was grabbed by somebody before it happened.

But, if you bailed on Black Lightning, the story probably wouldn't make any sense to you. The anti matter storm is a background element to the story tonight about his daughter battling her inner demons and meeting other counterparts of her along with the ASA arc that started the year.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-10-19 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 05:29 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

So... it's just the end of the episode for something that mattered towards the crossover?
Old 12-10-19, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Is there a list of the Earth numbers and why they are each specific number.

Some are obvious but others not so much.
Earth-99 for example.
1999 was the year "Batman Beyond" began, where Kevin Conroy played the older Batman, closer to the "Crisis" version.

Last edited by DWilson; 12-10-19 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-10-19, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Totally made sense that Smallville Clark gave up his powers. He never wanted them anyway
Old 12-10-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I do hope none of you jizzing your pants over these cameos have been in the Mandalorian threads complaining about “fan service,” because these 2 episodes so far have been so heavy on the fan service that the plot has barely had a chance to progress. It feels like they’re treading water to an extent to stretch this out to 5 episodes. Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying it, but so far it’s not been as balls to the wall crazy as I’d have expected. Hopefully things pick up now that the bulk of the fan service cameos are out of the way.
Oh yeah, I can’t remember if this has been mentioned here also, or just on the subreddits for these shows, but I’m now on board with the theory that
Spoiler:
Tom Ellis’ Lucifer
will play a role in retrieving Oliver’s soul, and that Oliver will
Spoiler:
become The Spectre.
Old 12-10-19, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Incase you want to catch up on Black Lightning, the ending to the episode is on YouTube. If you really want to skip ahead, Jefferson joins the Crisis in the last minute of the clip.

Old 12-10-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

So I watched the first part, Supergirl, with my young son last night. I had watched Supergirl season 1 and parts of the last season, and also parts of Flash, but otherwise went in blind. They do a very good job of mimicking a comic book crossover where it's basically impenetrable to someone coming in new. Like it was just a collection of scenes that didn't flow together at all but featured what I'm sure are a lot of fanservice moments. Superman and Lois pass away! Oh wait, they were saved offscreen. The baby is lost! Offscreen. Superman's depressed!

Plus, my 6 year old is like, why in the world are Green Arrow and his daughter here, what are they supposed to be doing with just arrows (he's a big superhero fan)?
Old 12-10-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
So... it's just the end of the episode for something that mattered towards the crossover?
The Anti Matter storm is a background element to the Black Lighting. It’s causing issues with Jefferson’s youngest daughter. The end scene is basically the segue, but if you tried to watch the entire episode and don’t follow the show anymore, you would be completely bored and lost.
Old 12-10-19, 10:49 AM

Watching that clip was enough. It is pretty much exactly how I thought they would handle it.
Old 12-10-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Nailed the bringing back Oliver and Earth-38. No way they were letting either of those stay the way it is. Is it me, or was Routh's suit (business) before he changed way too big for him. There was like a ridiculous amount of slack in the collar. It was distracting.

I never watched Smallville, so I didn't care about the Welling cameo, but I know why they did it.

Conroy was the best part of the episode. Basically just shut your eyes, listen and you can see him as Batman.
Old 12-10-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Traditionally Clark wears loose fitting suits to hide how big he is.

I really enjoyed Cryer as Lex last year, so seeing him so involved here is great.
Old 12-10-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Conroy was the best part of the episode. Basically just shut your eyes, listen and you can see him as Batman.
It was weird, I could only hear his Batman if he wasn't on-screen (or I closed my eyes). But if I was looking at him talking, I couldn't hear it.
Old 12-10-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Totally made sense that Smallville Clark gave up his powers. He never wanted them anyway
Yeah it was like Harrison Ford coming back to Star Wars and being killed off. Welling came back and got what he wanted just like Ford.
Old 12-10-19, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ben12
It was weird, I could only hear his Batman if he wasn't on-screen (or I closed my eyes). But if I was looking at him talking, I couldn't hear it.
I couldn't hear it at all.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (10-17-23)
Old 12-10-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It was fun seeing Welling back with Durance, though I really expected something better from that scene. You could tell the writers were at a loss for what to do with Welling since they couldn't get Michael Rosenbaum.

Brandon Routh as Kingdom Come and Donner's Superman has easily been the real highlight of this crossover so far. That is a fantastic costume and Routh still looks like he belongs in the suit. Makes Tyler's Superman look like a wimp.

I would love to see DC Universe getting a Brandon Routh series playing this character as the lead. I bet Johns gets Routh to appear as this Superman for his Stargirl series. It's rumored that her show will be set on its own Earth after Crisis with more Golden Age characters around.
Old 12-10-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It was fun seeing Welling back with Durance, though I really expected something better from that scene. You could tell the writers were at a loss for what to do with Welling since they couldn't get Michael Rosenbaum.

Brandon Routh as Kingdom Come and Donner's Superman has easily been the real highlight of this crossover so far. That is a fantastic costume and Routh still looks like he belongs in the suit. Makes Tyler's Superman look like a wimp.

I would love to see DC Universe getting a Brandon Routh series playing this character as the lead. I bet Johns gets Routh to appear as this Superman for his Stargirl series. It's rumored that her show will be set on its own Earth after Crisis with more Golden Age characters around.
Having finally caught up, I agree that Routh's Supes is the highlight. Unfortunately they both saddled him with the Kingdom Come baggage AND the Superman Returns son, but it's not like those are going to come into play after this. That CGI Superman v. Superman fight though...

Did I miss an explanation on why they don't just round up heroes from every universe instead of, you know, unleashing Lex Luthor to ruin hundreds of Earths?
Old 12-10-19, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Oh shit. Just finished Black Lightning and tonight's episode was indeed part of the Crossover. Jefferson's entire family was taken out by the Anti matter storm as the cliffhanger. But he was grabbed by somebody before it happened.

But, if you bailed on Black Lightning, the story probably wouldn't make any sense to you. The anti matter storm is a background element to the story tonight about his daughter battling her inner demons and meeting other counterparts of her along with the ASA arc that started the year.
But if you stuck with Black Lightning, I think it was a great look at how the Crisis looks on the ground without any prior knowledge of it.

I am not so sure that Jennifer was taken out since she seemed to be modulating between universes (and meeting her doppelgangers) so I think it's possible she just happened to land on Earth 1.

Did they ever say which earth Black Lightning takes place on?
Old 12-10-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for Crisis Part 2, there were times when they introduced Brandon Routh's Superman that I could distinctly hear and see Christopher Reeve.
Old 12-10-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingo
As for Crisis Part 2, there were times when they introduced Brandon Routh's Superman that I could distinctly hear and see Christopher Reeve.
That's one of the reasons why he was cast in Superman Returns.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (10-17-23)
Old 12-10-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Apparently they did NOT give BL’s Earth a number. Also a lot of people are trying to say that the Earth 1 and Earth 2 from the episode are not necessarily the same as the Arrowverse Earth-1 & 2 designations, but more of a narrative way to differentiate the different versions of Jen. I’m not sure I agree with that idea.* At this point it should be an assumption that enough viewers are up to speed on which Earth is which from the other shows. Hopefully things will get cleared up tonight when
Spoiler:
Flash officially recruits BL.

*The idea does have merit, though. Earth-2 Jen is evil like that’s world’s doppelgängers tend to be. And Earth-2 should have already been erased by this point in the story, by several days or weeks. It also implied that the Earth-1 Jen is also erased, and simultaneously with Earth-2, but it’s obvious that’s not the case on CoIE. Plus, if that was really the real Earth-1, it also opens the question of why the ASA and the Markovians only care about the Freeland metas with all the crap that’s been going for the last several years in Central City.
The only thing I can think of its that Argus is either connected to the ASA, or more powerful than them, and Lyla has already warned Odell to stay the F out.

Last edited by Tom Banjo; 12-10-19 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Added a sentence

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.